• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What melee player going back in time would cause the most time ripples?

red stone

Smash Ace
Okay, so say there is a time machine that can send current melee players back in time to say the 2005 or so.

What player, if sent back in time would change the course of melee history the most?

for example, what if we sent current hungrybox back in time and he dominates for years with jigglypuff? How long would his reign of dominance be. Would he be the most hated player of all time? Would the young link metagame be further developed?

What if armada was sent back in time and he dominated with peach? would the current meta be sheik and peach at the top then?

What if we sent one of the 20GX players to 2005. Would captain falcon finally win a national and claim his rightful throne?

Axe and pikachu......i don't even wanna think about that

Tell me who you would send back the time ripples that you think would occur.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon won a national in 05 so you can rest assured these new Falcons would dominate.

Honestly probably westballz Falco. He would just trample everyone horribly imo. But so would a ton of players. Think about amsa... I mean the usa is hardly ready for him NOW... a top fox.... Damn.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Nah man I wish. No Ganon was insanely good back then though, even Tipman got much better later on... Joe Bushman kinda fell off the map not long after. Raffa sorta quit. Eddie sorta still plays but mainly Marth now. It would just be people making mistakes Eddie punching them lol, and using the reverse uair spike. Ganons are so much faster and have much better neutral and grab punishes now.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Nah man I wish. No Ganon was insanely good back then though, even Tipman got much better later on... Joe Bushman kinda fell off the map not long after. Raffa sorta quit. Eddie sorta still plays but mainly Marth now. It would just be people making mistakes Eddie punching them lol, and using the reverse uair spike. Ganons are so much faster and have much better neutral and grab punishes now.
I feel like ganon had so much potential back then, and still has a ton of potential. I recently got 3-stocked by a puff in bracket as marth and switched to ganon. ez 2-stock. ganon is so powerful and still has a lot of untapped power imo.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I feel like ganon had so much potential back then, and still has a ton of potential. I recently got 3-stocked by a puff in bracket as marth and switched to ganon. ez 2-stock. ganon is so powerful and still has a lot of untapped power imo.
Puff is probably Ganon's 3rd/4th hardest mu actually. **** is bogus but hungrybox is the only one that abuses the right stuff constantly. Trust me that matchup is horrible.... It's nothing but neutral game where you lose unless you have a solid read. Even edgeguarding is basically just more neutral. Ganon relies on bair, uair, and elusive movement. But seriously no puffs take advantage of that. The anti-Ganon meta just isn't super far advanced in a lot of matchups, thankfully for me, spider_sense, linguini, tipman, kage, Eikelmann, tm, pseudoturtle, Bizz, Oldiz, GRIM, Aephage, Ranch, RockCrock, Brandandorf, Swagic, qlex, and all the other Ganon mains out there.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Ganon is pretty good once people first get techniques and basic understanding of spacing and neutral down, but at higher levels he is fairly limited and quite abusable.

Personally I think we should sends Hugs back in time :estatic:

But really someone who plays a mid/high tier because it would be interesting to see how much that would shift the meta

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Puff is probably Ganon's 3rd/4th hardest mu actually. **** is bogus but hungrybox is the only one that abuses the right stuff constantly. Trust me that matchup is horrible.... It's nothing but neutral game where you lose unless you have a solid read. Even edgeguarding is basically just more neutral. Ganon relies on bair, uair, and elusive movement. But seriously no puffs take advantage of that. The anti-Ganon meta just isn't super far advanced in a lot of matchups, thankfully for me, spider_sense, linguini, tipman, kage, Eikelmann, tm, pseudoturtle, Bizz, Oldiz, GRIM, Aephage, Ranch, RockCrock, Brandandorf, Swagic, qlex, and all the other Ganon mains out there.
To play ganon at a high level, you have to have a godly neutral game. Also, I think the ganon/puff matchup depends on what level you're playing on. Since it was round 3 of bracket and I was spacing nairs well, I was able to 2-stock this puff. Still though, even with players like bizz with their crispy movement, speed and mobility is still ganon's biggest flaw imo

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Nair gets destroyed by bair lol you won't even trade much. Even fair is useless without a read or incredible spacing. I've never seen bizz play a good puff, maybe he'd do ok. His movement is crispy but super predictable imo. Dittos matter very little but I played him 10 matches at MLG almost 2 years ago and won 5/10... You can see the wavelands coming a mile away if you're familiar with Ganon. I hadn't taken the game seriously in like 2 years at that point too... Always working 80+ hours a week oos (for a dredging company) in beach towns (No smash scene).

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Nair gets destroyed by bair lol you won't even trade much. Even fair is useless without a read or incredible spacing. I've never seen bizz play a good puff, maybe he'd do ok. His movement is crispy but super predictable imo. Dittos matter very little but I played him 10 matches at MLG almost 2 years ago and won 5/10... You can see the wavelands coming a mile away if you're familiar with Ganon. I hadn't taken the game seriously in like 2 years at that point too... Always working 80+ hits a week oos (for a dredging company) in beach towns (No smash scene).
Welp, I can't argue with an expert lol. I guess that puff was just bad and my marth was worse

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Welp, I can't argue with an expert lol. I guess that puff was just bad and my marth was worse
The puff undoubtedly knows how to play against marth more so than he does Ganon. Most people know the Marth mu to an extent and just see Ganon as free because they've never played a good one.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
The puff undoubtedly knows how to play against marth more so than he does Ganon. Most people know the Marth mu to an extent and just see Ganon as free because they've never played a good one.
true, this is seen all the time with players like qerb, people should really study up on their low tiers

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Imagine sending Mew2King's knowledge to a time before competitive Melee. "Here's the new Smash Bros. game, and here's all the data about it. Enjoy."

Last edited:

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
God this is a fun topic. I fell like Mango would be he best to sen back in time because of his aggesive style of play, it really fits in with the meta of the time and I think that would really have an effect because their version of the gods were ken, isai, and azen. So I feel like Mango would would be as good and compete on their level and change the history of their tournament placings. I wonder if Mango would end up being the king of smash instead of Ken if he went back in time.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Ok, the first thing I'm gonna do when time travel is invented is go back to 2000, meet h2yl, and destroy them all in melee when it comes out. After I solidify my spot as best on the ec, I'm gonna "move" to cali and go to tg4 and beat ken and recipherus to become the best in the US. If this plan isn't genius, I don't know what is.

Top Bottom