• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What rights are students entitled to in public schools? (Debate Hall Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Copied from the Proving Grounds:

I really thought I saw a topic similar to this, but I don't think it was in the Proving Grounds because I checked all the topics. But someone please tell me if there is a similar topic already.

Anyway, as a student in a public school, there are a lot of rules on trivial things (no standing up at lunch, no hats, etc.), but they don't really bother me too much because they are just that- trivial. Of course, there are a lot stranger restrictions when you take into account things like basketball being banned from my school for a month when a 9th grader threw a ball at someone... in a gym class. Still, whether those rules made sense or not, I definitely wouldn't say that they infringed upon my rights. But, take that same amount of authority in a slightly different situation, and you have a legitimate violation of basic civil liberties.

I'm citing the story that is just now reaching the Supreme Court even though the event took place 6 years ago, of a (then) 13-year-old girl being strip searched by a school nurse and an administrative aide. What did they suspect to find? Ibuprofen pills. Calling any deviation from a teacher's instructions "insubordination" and suspending students is bad enough, but now school officials can act like policemen or something? Even cops would need a search warrant.

Obviously, the vast majority of schools haven't done something like that, but are there any provisions in place to prevent a similar event from occurring elsewhere? Since public schools are assumed to be allowed to usurp students' rights by acting "in loco parentis" (I'll try to find my source, it was in a Supreme Court case from a few decades ago, I believe) and therefore the Bill of Rights apparently doesn't always apply, perhaps there should be a bill of rights for students, so school officials can't do whatever they want under a vague pretense of possible rule-breaking. Your thoughts?

The story about the 13-year-old girl was found at: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2009-04-15-stripsearch_N.htm
So, I figured that this would be a good topic for the debate hall since it is an interesting topic and hasn't been getting too much notice.

What was brought up immiediately afterwards was the concept of "In Loco Parentis", which means esentially, "in place of the parents". In other words, the school acts in place of the parents, which means that they have signifigantly more leeway then most organizations do when dealing with limiting student rights.

However, there are two main things to consider, since this is dealing with Public Schools, Public Schools are state organizations and therefore agents of the state. Furthermore, in Loco Parentis has limits.

Under the initial common law understanding, violations of civil liberties were not allowed, and this is especially the case because public schools are also state agents.

This understanding has been expanded in case law, especially in terms of of the first amendmant, but in general the courts have ruled as follows:

Tinker et al. v. Des Moines Independent Community School District et al. said:
First Amendment rights, applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment, are available to teachers and students. It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate. This has been the unmistakable holding of this Court for almost 50 years.
Source

However, there have been subsequent rulings which have limited what rights a student can expect on school property. For example in New Jersey v. T.L.O., it was ruled that warrants are not required to do searches by schools.

So, can a student be strip searched legally speaking?

I am taking the "con" side on this debate, based on the Supreme Court rulings students retain the bulk of their rights, and in first amendment cases, only what is inherently disruptive to the school enviroment can be prohibited.

Taking that general idea, that restrictions must be as limited as possible, anything that restricts the liberties of a student would have to be as limited as possible and grounded in a very legitimate need, and ruled on as a case by case basis. As of current, the idea of a strip search, or a cavity search, is far more intrusive then anything the courts have previously allowed, and could not be justified under existing case law. Furthermore, under normal cases, strip searching is held under higher constitutional scrutiny, for example in Bell v. Wolfish it was ruled that blanket strip searches were not permissable for people not convicted of a crime.

Ultimately this is taking searches far beyond what is legally authorized, and based on current case law, and the strip search should be ruled illegal.

Just to keep things interesting, in the case law for this issue I came across a major bomb that does a great deal of damage to one side in this debate, so if you check here you know it exists, but try to find it.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
A strip search should not be in the power of a School. The school issued a strip search because someone told them they got drugs from her. This means if you are accused of being in possession of something, by anyone, you have to take your clothes off. There was no probably cause, or a warrant.

Schools are here to teach. Not take your clothes because Jenny said this about you.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm at work so I don't have time to look for that "bomb" or construct appropriate legal support for my opinion, but I'll throw in my uninformed two cents.

I'm basically of the opinion that minors (people 18 and younger) should not have legal rights, and that whatever "rights" they have should not be statutory, but should arise out of what is ethically, morally and legally wrong for adults. For example, children should not be abused not because they have the right not to be, but because it is illegal, unethical and immoral for an adult to commit such acts.

For me then, in terms of the strip-search debate, the question doesn't hinge on whether or not the girl's civil liberties were violated, because she doesn't have any in the first place. Instead, the question is whether or not school officials broke the law.

I'm sorry if this is poorly worded, I'll take another crack at explaining myself when I get home tonight.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm at work so I don't have time to look for that "bomb" or construct appropriate legal support for my opinion, but I'll throw in my uninformed two cents.

I'm basically of the opinion that minors (people 18 and younger) should not have legal rights, and that whatever "rights" they have should not be statutory, but should arise out of what is ethically, morally and legally wrong for adults. For example, children should not be abused not because they have the right not to be, but because it is illegal, unethical and immoral for an adult to commit such acts.

For me then, in terms of the strip-search debate, the question doesn't hinge on whether or not the girl's civil liberties were violated, because she doesn't have any in the first place. Instead, the question is whether or not school officials broke the law.

I'm sorry if this is poorly worded, I'll take another crack at explaining myself when I get home tonight.
I'm having trouble understanding your argument.

If the kids don't have those rights in the first place, why would an office nurse feeling up a student for drugs be considered unethical?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm having trouble understanding your argument.

If the kids don't have those rights in the first place, why would an office nurse feeling up a student for drugs be considered unethical?
What's legal and what's ethical can be two different things. Lying isn't against the law (except under certain circumstances), but most people would agree that it's generally unethical.

Also, dogs don't have legal rights, but you can still go to jail for abusing one. That's how I think of minors (not comparing them directly to dogs, of course).

RDK

Smash Hero
What's legal and what's ethical can be two different things. Lying isn't against the law (except under certain circumstances), but most people would agree that it's generally unethical.
Just because something is considered generally unethical doesn't make it so. It's the laws that count.

For example, I have no problem with lying as long as it serves some sort of purpose that ultimately benefits myself. Therefore I wouldn't consider lying to be unethical (in certain circumstances), so why should I obey a moral code if there aren't any laws to reinforce it?

Also, dogs don't have legal rights, but you can still go to jail for abusing one. That's how I think of minors (not comparing them directly to dogs, of course).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_law

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Children most definitely should have rights, but they should be limited most definitely. However, the school should not have the right to strip search based on claims that have no proof on them, they should be able to search bags and books and lockers but a strip search is out of the questions.

Also, the extracurricular code is on very sketchy legal ground and should be gotten rid of in most schools. At my personal school it refrains you from doing anything if you are in one extracurricular activity that breaks school rules of any sort.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I agree with most (if not all) of the opinions expressed by adumbrodeus. Strip searches should not be allowed for a reason as abstract as reasonable belief that the kid is carrying something that is not allowed. If they have some clear evidence that the student is carrying something that is not allowed, then they should do something along the lines of contacting the student's parents/guardian and have them search if they choose to do so. Otherwise, this rule can be easily abused and unclear enough to cause many legal issues in the future.

I would have to strongly disagree with this. There are some basic rights that every human deserves.

There would also be many issues with trying a child with no legal rights for a crime.

For instance, they wouldn't have the right to protection from cruel and unusual punishment or right to civil trial by jury. Therefore it would be entirely up to the judge to enforce any punishment they want on the poor kid; this clearly isn't fair.

Plus, what if one child commits a crime towards another? Then there is no adult involved, and therefore there is no way to punish either one.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

While this might be an interesting debate, and possibly deserving of a thread of it's own, that was not the question up for debate.

The debate is narrowly tailored so as to exactly this sort of tangent, in other words whether it's ethical, because keeping them conceptually separate is fundamentally required to answer any question like this and people can't seem to do that when answering this sort of question. Alt did a nice rant about this distinction in regards to the gay marriage debate, which is why I chose to spell it out explicitly.

Ethics/morals/philosophy/legal utilitarianism: What the law should be.

Legal: what the law actually is.

So, please, confine answers to the topic to legal situation, not the ethical one. In the meantime, somebody with more knowledge of the abstract principals of ethics could form another thread about whether or not the search was ethical.

What's legal and what's ethical can be two different things.
Hence why this thread chose one (legal) and not the other.

RDK

Smash Hero
And my point was that the two are inseparable. We base our legal system on what we think is ethical, and naturally whatever moral code is prevalent in the time period we're talking about is going to influence the laws of said time period.

∴ ethics are the basis of laws.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
adumbrodeus, the question isn't about what the law should be since the current law on the matter is not quite decided. The Supreme Courts initial ruling was that the situation obviously did not demand for a strip search (the assistant principle thought she had ibuprofen! WTF was wrong with this so-called man?) Still, the case is up for review. (SOURCE)

So we're here to decide how to interpret the law (which obviously takes us into the realm of ethics, as that's how laws are considered as mentioned above):

Let's take another look at the FOURTH AMENDMENT, you know, that little thing in our bill of rights:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." (I'm not going to source this, but it's probably one of the easiest things to find...)

Now, earlier in this thread it was "claimed" that a case, New Jersey v. T.L.O., ruled warrants not necessary for searches, but if you go to the website linked here (which is the same website linked by the OP) you read a different story:

The Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court affirmed the trial court's finding that there had been no Fourth Amendment violation, but vacated the adjudication of delinquency and remanded on other grounds. [highlight]The New Jersey Supreme Court reversed and ordered the suppression of the evidence found in respondent's purse, holding that the search of the purse was unreasonable.[/highlight]
And here's the first point of the ruling:

1. The Fourth Amendment's prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures applies to searches conducted by public school officials, and is not limited to searches carried out by law enforcement officers. Nor are school officials exempt from the Amendment's dictates by virtue of the special nature of their authority over schoolchildren. In carrying out searches and other functions pursuant to disciplinary policies mandated by state statutes, school officials act as representatives of the State, not merely as surrogates for the parents of students, and they cannot claim the parents immunity from the Fourth Amendment's strictures. Pp. 333-337. [p326]
It's very clear on what it says. It was talking about searching someone's purse, not even strip searching, and the supreme court ruled school administrators do not have the right to do so without a warrant.

Personally, I agree with the ruling. And if ever there were exceptions made to this rule, under no condition is strip searching a 13 year old girl under suspicion of holding ibuprofen considered an acceptable one.

-blazed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adumbrodeus, the question isn't about what the law should be since the current law on the matter is not quite decided. The Supreme Courts initial ruling was that the situation obviously did not demand for a strip search (the assistant principle thought she had ibuprofen! WTF was wrong with this so-called man?) Still, the case is up for review. (SOURCE)
The Supreme Court WILL review it, the 9th Circuit Court ruled against it, not the Federal Supreme Court, big difference. The question here is whether, speaking in terms of Constitutional law and precident, how should the Federal Supreme Court rule? Defend with legal reasoning.

That's what a legal question is in a nutshell, "based on prior caselaw and applicable law, how should the court in question rule on this case?"

So we're here to decide how to interpret the law (which obviously takes us into the realm of ethics, as that's how laws are considered as mentioned above):
No, legal interpretation is a totally different field then ethics. Period. While ethical ideas may be the source for law, that is not necessarily the case, and the reason that the law was created is almost always fundamentally different from the law itself, even the in terms of the intent of the law (because the issue that the law is initially constructed to address is almost always widened or contracted in committee), and don't even get me started in how much it varies in terms of textualism.

Of course, you could be suggesting a specific kind of Living Constitution model of Constitutional interpretation (and generally legal) which suggests that the Constitution was made as a liberal rights document and should always be interpreted in that manner. That model however is inconsistent and impractical since it essentially means that there is no law, only judicial discretion based on personal values of what supports Liberal Rights the best.

Now, earlier in this thread it was "claimed" that a case, New Jersey v. T.L.O., ruled warrants not necessary for searches, but if you go to the website linked here (which is the same website linked by the OP) you read a different story:

And here's the first point of the ruling:

It's very clear on what it says. It was talking about searching someone's purse, not even strip searching, and the supreme court ruled school administrators do not have the right to do so without a warrant.

Personally, I agree with the ruling. And if ever there were exceptions made to this rule, under no condition is strip searching a 13 year old girl under suspicion of holding ibuprofen considered an acceptable one.

-blazed
Good, starting to pay attention to the case law, you missed something though, the immunity from the need for a warrant IS there, reread.

"New Jersey v. T.L.O. said:
2. Schoolchildren have legitimate expectations of privacy. They may find it necessary to carry with them a variety of legitimate, noncontraband items, and there is no reason to conclude that they have necessarily waived all rights to privacy in such items by bringing them onto school grounds. But striking the balance between schoolchildren's legitimate expectations of privacy and the school's equally legitimate need to maintain an environment in which learning can take place requires some easing of the restrictions to which searches by public authorities are ordinarily subject. Thus, school officials need not obtain a warrant before searching a student who is under their authority. Moreover, school officials need not be held subject to the requirement that searches be based on probable cause to believe that the subject of the search has violated or is violating the law. Rather, the legality of a search of a student
should depend simply on the reasonableness, under all the circumstances, of the search. Determining the reasonableness of any search involves a determination of whether the search was justified at its inception and whether, as conducted, it was reasonably related in scope to the circumstances that justified the interference in the first place. Under ordinary circumstances, the search of a student by a school official will be justified at its inception where there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that the search will turn up evidence that the student has violated or is violating either the law or the rules of the school. And such a search will be permissible in its scope when the measures adopted are reasonably related to the objectives of the search, and not excessively intrusive in light of the student's age and sex and the nature of the infraction. Pp. 337-343.
It's very clear here that warrants are not required to search schoolchildren by school officials, furthermore if you look at the next line, probable cause is also not required.

Remember, the court ruled in favor of the school in this case, so unless they ruled that warrants are required in some cases, but not others, ruling that the school required warrants would've meant the school automatically lost the case, because if the school needed a warrant, the search would've been illegal, the evidence would've been suppressed, and they would've had no grounds to hold the girl.

And my point was that the two are inseparable. We base our legal system on what we think is ethical, and naturally whatever moral code is prevalent in the time period we're talking about is going to influence the laws of said time period.

∴ ethics are the basis of laws.
No, they aren't inseparable.

While ethics influence what laws are actually place on the books, there's a very fundamental disconnect between "what laws should be on the books" and "what the law is right now".

This comes about for two main reasons:

1. The laws on the book at the time are not necessarily based in the ethics of the time, this is generally because the vast bulk of law was actually written a long time ago, when different ethical systems were prevalent. This is especially the case with the Constitution.

2. Though ethics may be the reason why laws are written, the end product (in other words, the law that is put on the books) almost never perfectly reflects the ethical intent of the law. This is because of bargaining, different people have different ethical principals and the end result is most laws are a compromise between ethical systems.

Furthermore, there's an issue of continuity and consistency, if laws were interpreted in light of ethics, changes in the prevalent ethical systems of the day would also change the meaning of laws, with the end result being that it would be impossible to know what the law actually says.

If you want to say, "use the system of ethics used by the writers of the law" you have the same challenge as in number 2, "whose ethics"? This is also the reason why original intent fails by the way, "whose intent"?

While ethics may be the reason for laws, ethics are by necessity, a separate field, and in it's place for the interpretation of law, we have Analytic Jurisprudence (please not that normative Jurisprudence, which is again, "what the law ought to be", is really the philosophy of law's relationship to ethics, and therefore what the "ethics" discussion centers on). They're unique fields out of necessity, because the reality is "what the law ought to be" is almost always different from "what the law is", no matter what your ethical system is.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥A strip search of every student should be allowed if the school has suspicions of activity that may cause harm to other students. Don't you think that some staff should be allowed to search if there was a rumor that there would be a terrorist attack on the school?

♥Although, the staff should have some sort of evidence to base their claims for their searches. Evidence can be as simple as "Several Students have reported...." or " Plans for murder have been discovered in a locker", etc. The actions should be based entirely for the safety of the students and staff. Therefore, a warrant should not be necessary under those circumstances. Incidents such as in Columbine and Virginia Tech are very much reasons why student searches are plausible.

♥A strip search of students should not be allowed without a clarification that there is suspicion in the subject. If the search is based on a staff member's superfluous whim, then a search should not be conducted. These kinds of things should be justified with evidence, no matter how concrete it is. If the evidence is enough to arouse suspicion, the act of searching a student is a viable option.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
♥A strip search of every student should be allowed if the school has suspicions of activity that may cause harm to other students. Don't you think that some staff should be allowed to search if there was a rumor that there would be a terrorist attack on the school?
I would agree that it might be necessary in certain dire situations, but there would definitely have to be some very strong evidence (and some better reason than suspicion of ibuprofen) for this to be necessary.

♥Although, the staff should have some sort of evidence to base their claims for their searches. Evidence can be as simple as "Several Students have reported...." or " Plans for murder have been discovered in a locker", etc. The actions should be based entirely for the safety of the students and staff. Therefore, a warrant should not be necessary under those circumstances. Incidents such as in Columbine and Virginia Tech are very much reasons why student searches are plausible.
"Several students" may not be a reliable source. They may just want to humiliate the student if they are bullies, or they may have a concern that is unreasonable. Yes, if they found a note for a planned murder than a strip search may be necessary, but that's a very good lead, whereas the reports of a few students or staff members isn't really reliable. Going directly from suspicions to strip searching without a definite lead is unnecessary. If possible, there should be steps taken to ensure that strip searching is a last resort only.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
But it's just a rumor. Rumors like that could lead really quickly to something anti-islamic. I could spread a rumor this arab girl is a terrorist. This could easily lead to unjust search and seizure.
I don't think the terrorists would tell anyone about their plans, lol

Plans for murder in a locker is justifiable, assuming it's something written, or a weapon, or something like that. A rumor is probably enough to search someones locker, but not something personal like a purse.

♥A strip search of students should not be allowed without a clarification that there is suspicion in the subject. If the search is based on a staff member's superfluous whim, then a search should not be conducted. These kinds of things should be justified with evidence, no matter how concrete it is. If the evidence is enough to arouse suspicion, the act of searching a student is a viable option.
Well the problem with suspicion, is that the meaning can be bent. What could be considered suspicious can sometimes be really arbitrary.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Well, adumbrodeus, you have me there. I guess by reading the first one I just didn't imagine the second one would so blatantly contradict it. The first one says the situation is not exempt from the fourth amendment, but the second one says you can completely disregard what it says...

I personally think the system is absolute nonsense if a thirteen year old girl can be strip searched for ibuprofen without consequence.

And in this situation, if the court claims it was considered "reasonable" then a school official will ALWAYS be allowed to strip search a student. I don't know how long it's been since you were in grade/high school but I recall plenty of teachers trying to abuse their power. This is just more uncheckable power to give to some idiot sitting on a desk all day (if you can tell I don't have much respect for school administrators).

How can this be justifiable? It's one thing to say a strip search need "reasonableness" as was stated at the conclusion of New Jersey v. T.L.O., but it's another to wipe that out and in a way say under all circumstances a strip search is acceptable. This is opening a can of worms the consequences of which are dreadful to the imagination.

-blazed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No. And support with legal evidence if you have that view. This is not a normative jurisprudence (aka ethics) debate.

Support with legal evidence.

I disagree, but you might be able to defend those points and I'll gladly debate you if you can cite constitutional provisions and case law to support your conclusions.

Well, adumbrodeus, you have me there. I guess by reading the first one I just didn't imagine the second one would so blatantly contradict it. The first one says the situation is not exempt from the fourth amendment, but the second one says you can completely disregard what it says...

I personally think the system is absolute nonsense if a thirteen year old girl can be strip searched for ibuprofen without consequence.

And in this situation, if the court claims it was considered "reasonable" then a school official will ALWAYS be allowed to strip search a student. I don't know how long it's been since you were in grade/high school but I recall plenty of teachers trying to abuse their power. This is just more uncheckable power to give to some idiot sitting on a desk all day (if you can tell I don't have much respect for school administrators).

How can this be justifiable? It's one thing to say a strip search need "reasonableness" as was stated at the conclusion of New Jersey v. T.L.O., but it's another to wipe that out and in a way say under all circumstances a strip search is acceptable. This is opening a can of worms the consequences of which are dreadful to the imagination.

-blazed
Congrats, you've had your first experience with Obiter Dicta, which is basically the judge editorializing. It doesn't hold much legal weight. On the other hand, the specific details of the case, in other words, the principals and the decision itself are Ratio Decidendi, and the second part was Ratio Decidendi.

That said, understand the decision DOES follow through with that idea, remember that the fourth amendment says, "unreasonable", this case is basically deciding what is a "reasonable search" in terms of school officials at school.

Their ruling states that a search does not need a warrant or probable cause to be reasonable, however that doesn't mean that it can't be unreasonable, and for reference to what is legally unreasonable... well we have a wonderful case called Rochin v. California which established a general exemption to the state's ability to do... well anything.

The standard is referred to as "shocks the conscience", and if it shocks the conscience it's independently a violation of due process (14th amendment) but in the cases of searches and seizures, would automatically be unreasonable.

Still waiting for people to read the case law well enough to notice what I was talking about in the spoiler.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Congrats, you've had your first experience with Obiter Dicta, which is basically the judge editorializing. It doesn't hold much legal weight. On the other hand, the specific details of the case, in other words, the principals and the decision itself are Ratio Decidendi, and the second part was Ratio Decidendi.

That said, understand the decision DOES follow through with that idea, remember that the fourth amendment says, "unreasonable", this case is basically deciding what is a "reasonable search" in terms of school officials at school.

Their ruling states that a search does not need a warrant or probable cause to be reasonable, however that doesn't mean that it can't be unreasonable, and for reference to what is legally unreasonable... well we have a wonderful case called Rochin v. California which established a general exemption to the state's ability to do... well anything.

The standard is referred to as "shocks the conscience", and if it shocks the conscience it's independently a violation of due process (14th amendment) but in the cases of searches and seizures, would automatically be unreasonable.
As you said above, this case was talking about "reasonable search" in terms of school officials at school... but the case you mention above, Rochin v. California, is an example of an officer (not of a school official) violating due process.

Still, maybe you can explain the case to me a bit more. Wasn't the search done without obtaining a warrant so it would be violating due process anyway?

-blazed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As you said above, this case was talking about "reasonable search" in terms of school officials at school... but the case you mention above, Rochin v. California, is an example of an officer (not of a school official) violating due process.

Still, maybe you can explain the case to me a bit more. Wasn't the search done without obtaining a warrant so it would be violating due process anyway?

-blazed
Legally speaking, when they perform searches, they are enforcing state disciplinary mandates (because public schools are a governmental institution) and therefore are treated functionally the same as officers of the law, it's in the T.L.O. decision.

Really, in Rochin they could've disallowed the evidence on a variety of grounds, but they chose to put forth a new legal standard because this case illustrated that as well as lack of a warrant.

The argument was that it fit an exemption that allowed for warrantless searches, but the court rejected that.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Legally speaking, when they perform searches, they are enforcing state disciplinary mandates (because public schools are a governmental institution) and therefore are treated functionally the same as officers of the law, it's in the T.L.O. decision.

Really, in Rochin they could've disallowed the evidence on a variety of grounds, but they chose to put forth a new legal standard because this case illustrated that as well as lack of a warrant.

The argument was that it fit an exemption that allowed for warrantless searches, but the court rejected that.
Interesting.

Adumbrodeus, I think the point a lot of people in this thread don't understand is how our law system works. I was recently reading Remix, by Lawrence Lessig (great book), where he put it fairly well:

Lawrence Lessig said:
It is the essence of good writing in the law. A great brief seems to say nothing on its own. [highlight]Everything is drawn from cases that went before, presented as if the argument now presented is in fact nothing new.[/highlight] Here again, the words of others are used to make a point the others didn’t directly make. Old cases are remixed. The remix is meant to do something new.
Just so you know, as obvious as this seems, it's not obvious to those who aren't used to dealing with the legal system.

Unfortunately, this type of legal system (regardless of whether you're going to tell me it's the only one ever been practiced) has its own inherent flaws. When is it that someone can stop to say a previous case was ruled wrong? Especially when it's about something fairly new?

I hope I'm not digressing too far, if so we can stop. I'm just curious about this topic now that it's been brought up. Adumbrodeus, are you by chance a lawyer or law student? I only ask this because of the nature of the website you linked to in that previous post.

-blazed

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion

I have to disagree with you here. Some minors are just idiots who really shouldn't make their own choices. These people would probably ruin their own lives at an early age if left alone. I assume that is why you think the way you do, Jam. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the existence of such people should not reflect upon MY liberties. Why should I be punished for other people's folly? I am intelligent enough to take care of myself. I do not get into drugs or alcohol, or skip school and I don't need any laws telling me to. I should be relatively free to make the choices I want to make, right? I am responsible.

In this mode of thinking, wouldn't it be better to allow more freedom to students who do better in school? I realize grades are not a good measure of intelligence, but they can provide insight to how much work ethic/ability a student has.

So I'd propose that if a student falls beneath a certain grade threshold, he loses some of the freedoms he had. I don't like being treated like I'm stupid.

I think Jam's method can also lead to a partial dehumanization of minors. If minors are seen as universally irresponsible, then they may also be seen as too stupid to recognize injustice. Meaning they will be taken for granted. We've already seen in Europe that high frequency noise that only younger people can hear are being used to prevent loitering.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
But the existence of such people should not reflect upon MY liberties. Why should I be punished for other people's folly? I am intelligent enough to take care of myself. I do not get into drugs or alcohol, or skip school and I don't need any laws telling me to. I should be relatively free to make the choices I want to make, right? I am responsible.
No, until you are legally responsible for yourself, you should not be free to make the choices you want to make. You can go and break connections with your parents before you are 18 years of age, but until then, your parents are punished for what you do. That is why minors are held to a stricter ruleset than adults.

And what child doesn't say that they are intelligent and responsible enough for themselves.

In this mode of thinking, wouldn't it be better to allow more freedom to students who do better in school? I realize grades are not a good measure of intelligence, but they can provide insight to how much work ethic/ability a student has.
Some schools do supply a reward for high performing students. For example, a school would give a free bathroom pass to students that would hold a 4.0 gpa. They could step out of the classroom to use the restroom whenever they wanted without asking the teacher first.

So I'd propose that if a student falls beneath a certain grade threshold, he loses some of the freedoms he had. I don't like being treated like I'm stupid.
You're not being treated like your stupid, you're being treated like you can't be held responsible for your own actions. Rules shouldn't be any different whether you have a 2.0gpa or a 4.0gpa. All it measures is if you do your homework. For all the school knows, your parents have to watch over your shoulder all day to make sure you do it.

Remember that while kids are in school, the school is liable for anything that happens to the kid there. If they are lax on a student that has a 4.0gpa then that student goes off and smokes marijuana because there was an open campus policy for 4.0 students, then the school will be held responsible for not keeping students under their control.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
No, until you are legally responsible for yourself, you should not be free to make the choices you want to make. You can go and break connections with your parents before you are 18 years of age, but until then, your parents are punished for what you do. That is why minors are held to a stricter ruleset than adults.

That's great, but why 18? You've explained to me how the status quo works, which is pretty redundant and it doesn't really do anything as an argument.

And what child doesn't say that they are intelligent and responsible enough for themselves.
You've just proven my earlier point that a minor becomes devalued and maybe even dehumanized merely by merit of his youth. That's what you've just done to me. Thanks, but I don't appreciate it.

Some schools do supply a reward for high performing students. For example, a school would give a free bathroom pass to students that would hold a 4.0 gpa. They could step out of the classroom to use the restroom whenever they wanted without asking the teacher first.

Why do I care about this? A bathroom pass is not the same as having adequate rights in school. Being allowed to use the bathroom is an elementary right in the first place. It's scary that you think it's a consolation that this is sometimes a right in some schools for a few of the students.

You're not being treated like your stupid, you're being treated like you can't be held responsible for your own actions. Why would I not be held responsible for my actions unless it was because I was considered stupid? Rules shouldn't be any different whether you have a 2.0gpa or a 4.0gpa. All it measures is if you do your homework. For all the school knows, your parents have to watch over your shoulder all day to make sure you do it.
But a measure of whether or not you do your homework is a measure of your work ethic, which gives insight to whether or not the student can be trusted to make some of his own choices. (Extra curricular activities should also be taken into account.) If you're parents are that restrictive, then the school doesn't even need to bother with restrictions in the first place because the parents are doing it for them (and parents are actually authorized to revoke a child's rights, unlike the government or school). And how common do you think this type of parent is? This generation, with far too many slackers, says not many.

Remember that while kids are in school, the school is liable for anything that happens to the kid there. If they are lax on a student that has a 4.0gpa then that student goes off and smokes marijuana because there was an open campus policy for 4.0 students, then the school will be held responsible for not keeping students under their control.
Again, you're only telling me how the status quo would work. Why wouldn't the kid be responsible for smoking marijuana? That seems a lot more logical to me. If the 4.0 student has his own rights and were treated like an adult, the school would not be held responsible.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Interesting.

Adumbrodeus, I think the point a lot of people in this thread don't understand is how our law system works. I was recently reading Remix, by Lawrence Lessig (great book), where he put it fairly well:
Yes, actually that's a great way of putting it. The concept is Stare Decisis (for those who don't know, it means: "let the decision stand", basically that court decisions, once rendered are binding unless reversed or eroded, in other words a subsequent case disagrees with them), and most people here don't know it, but I do also consider the debate hall a great way to educate people, both the people I'm debating with but also casual readers (which is why I try to keep on topic, and cite things that the person I'm debating with probably knows but others don't).

So, yes, part of my objective here was to educate people about the law and legal concepts.

As a note: Anyone can do this, all you gotta do is read some of the law and case law. The constitution is a pretty easy read and tells a lot. You can also find a ton of the case law by topic by searching wikipedia then plugging the case into FindLaw.

Just so you know, as obvious as this seems, it's not obvious to those who aren't used to dealing with the legal system.

Unfortunately, this type of legal system (regardless of whether you're going to tell me it's the only one ever been practiced) has its own inherent flaws. When is it that someone can stop to say a previous case was ruled wrong? Especially when it's about something fairly new?

I hope I'm not digressing too far, if so we can stop. I'm just curious about this topic now that it's been brought up. Adumbrodeus, are you by chance a lawyer or law student? I only ask this because of the nature of the website you linked to in that previous post.

-blazed
Well understand, our legal system isn't solely based on Stare Decisis. We have a hierarchy of laws. Beyond the constitution being over federal law, and federal law being over state constitutions, which is over state law, we also have a hierarchy of case law. Basically, if a case can be appealed to a certain court, that court is of a higher level. Furthermore, a court is able to overruled decisions made on it's level or below. As a rule, they don't overrule most of the time to allow for judicial consistency, but they can erode decisions by applying limitions to their scope or using alternative methods tests without referencing to the case.

So. that does allow for decisions to be reversed if they are in error, sometimes even without direct reversing (For example, Brown V. Board of Ed. did not reverse Plessy V. Ferguson, it merely gave a standard by which it could be demonstrated that something was not seperate but equal. However the standard (demonstratable harm), was quite low, thus resulting in the case being eroded to the point of virtual non-existance.

I'm preparing to enter law school, so technically I'm a law student I guess. Most of my knowledge is through independant study however, combined with a couple of conceptualization courses.

As it stands, I'm probably the closest thing the debate hall has to a legal expert, since I've been studying law since prior to high school in preparation for entering law school, becuase that's what I've wanted to do for a long long time.

Edit:

Figured I'd address these.

Jam's suggestion is very off-topic as noted before, implications of using Jam's method should be confined to a different thread.

This is a legal debate, so cite law and case law on that.

You're also partially wrong, so you'll want some citations in juvenile law to back up your points.

Citation please.

You're not being treated like your stupid, you're being treated like you can't be held responsible for your own actions. Rules shouldn't be any different whether you have a 2.0gpa or a 4.0gpa. All it measures is if you do your homework. For all the school knows, your parents have to watch over your shoulder all day to make sure you do it.

I feel like a broken record, legal citation please.

Keep in mind, this is a legal debate, if you have opinions about the topic at hand, cite law itself or case law to back your points up, otherwise your post doesn't really address the topic at hand.

~Peachy~

♥Ooooo...it looks like some people think I'm easy prey. ;)

I would agree that it might be necessary in certain dire situations, but there would definitely have to be some very strong evidence (and some better reason than suspicion of ibuprofen) for this to be necessary.

"Several students" may not be a reliable source. They may just want to humiliate the student if they are bullies, or they may have a concern that is unreasonable. Yes, if they found a note for a planned murder than a strip search may be necessary, but that's a very good lead, whereas the reports of a few students or staff members isn't really reliable. Going directly from suspicions to strip searching without a definite lead is unnecessary. If possible, there should be steps taken to ensure that strip searching is a last resort only.

♥Very strong evidence? As a teacher,principle, etc. you are responsible for the well-being of the students. A staff member would not take something like this as a joke. Obviously, things such as a student's reliability record should be taken into the consideration. No teacher in their right mind would believe someone who has been known to be untrustworthy, it's a plain fact of life. But if a student's history is clean, there should be no reason to not believe them. Would someone honestly make a joke as bad as this one knowing the consequences? If so, then they would have already fallen into the aforementioned category of students with a tarnished record and therefore, unreliable. Simple and logical.

But it's just a rumor. Rumors like that could lead really quickly to something anti-islamic. I could spread a rumor this arab girl is a terrorist. This could easily lead to unjust search and seizure.
I don't think the terrorists would tell anyone about their plans, lol

Plans for murder in a locker is justifiable, assuming it's something written, or a weapon, or something like that. A rumor is probably enough to search someones locker, but not something personal like a purse.

Well the problem with suspicion, is that the meaning can be bent. What could be considered suspicious can sometimes be really arbitrary.
♥They could tell an accomplice you know. ;)

♥If rumors are the case, it is up to the judgment of the staff to determine what should be done. Remember that they have the ability to research the histories of students ( Yes, those do exist) and questioning. If there is something to be suspected, then what needs to be done will get done. If there is no suspicion, then the student is let free.

♥Do you expect the staff to just say, "GIMME YOUR PURSE! YOU MIGHT HAVE COCAINE IN THERE!" No, the accuser must have justified grounds for suspicion and the suspect must show reasons to disprove the accuser. They are innocent until proven guilty.

♥The line between paranoid and suspicion may seem blurred, but staff are expected to know basic logic. And with basic logic shows what should be "suspicious" and what is just "paranoid" Honestly, it's such a simple concept that if you need that explained, the ABC's would probably need to be taught quite a few times too.

No. And support with legal evidence if you have that view. This is not a normative jurisprudence (aka ethics) debate.

♥Honestly now, are you kidding me? There is no way you can want evidence for such simple thoughts of logic. A topic like this has no way of staying objective without even touching upon ethics. Such little things such as the Freedom of speech is based on the right to voice his or her own opinion yet there are limits to even that law. Honestly, this is such a similar case. There are rights, but there are still limitations and those exact limitations fluctuate depending on the situation.

♥There, that should suffice. ;)

blazedaces

Smash Lord
♥Honestly now, are you kidding me? [highlight]There is no way you can want evidence for such simple thoughts of logic.[/highlight] A topic like this has no way of staying objective without even touching upon ethics. Such little things such as the Freedom of speech is based on the right to voice his or her own opinion yet there are limits to even that law. Honestly, this is such a similar case. There are rights, but there are still limitations and those exact limitations fluctuate depending on the situation.

[/COLOR]
Is this a joke? Do you use this line every time someone asks for evidence? Provide evidence for your argument. Others have done so in this thread. At this point your argument is just speculation, there's no basis/substance to support it.

Even if your argument was ethical you would need to provide evidence from a documented ethical theory and PROVE that this case is indeed ethical. You can't just say "I think it is".

-blazed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
♥Honestly now, are you kidding me? There is no way you can want evidence for such simple thoughts of logic. A topic like this has no way of staying objective without even touching upon ethics. Such little things such as the Freedom of speech is based on the right to voice his or her own opinion yet there are limits to even that law. Honestly, this is such a similar case. There are rights, but there are still limitations and those exact limitations fluctuate depending on the situation.

Ok, you seem to have missed the part in the original post which said this is a LEGAL debate.

So, can a student be strip searched legally speaking?
This is not a logical debate, this is not an ethical debate, this is a LEGAL debate, and therefore all assertions must be supported by law and case law.

You assert that there are limits to even free speech in law, but you give no evidence to back up that claim (the fact that you are correct is irrelevant). In the same way, you assert that there are limitations to a student's fourth amendment rights, and while you can use the sources I provided to back that up, you lack any clear line of legal reasoning to back up your specific assertions.

That is because again, in law, you don't need to just prove something is logically practical, you need to prove that prior courts have agreed with your logic. Same with ethics, you must prove that the courts have supported your particular line of ethical reasoning, otherwise it's a moot point.

The courts have been fine for quite some time without beinging outside ethics into how they ruled in cases, why must we now make them intrude? With logic, the courts have been using logic to apply previous decisions along with the law for many many years, why should we go back to square one and apply it in the aether?

If this debate hadn't been defined as a legal one, you would've been fine with just citing logic and ethics, however this IS a legal debate, so justify your legal assertions with legal evidence.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Has this case been decided upon yet?

Also, I don't believe that the Tinker v. Des Moines School should be applied here. Wasn't it dealing specifically with the first amendment while we are arguing about the 4th amendment? So, how would the first amendment being allowed in school affect the limitations of the 4th amendment?

As for Bell v. Wolfish, does it not deal with adults in prison? And as far as I know, adults and kids do not have the same rights, especially inmates and school children, as established by Bethel School Dist. No. 403 v. Fraser

Meanwhile, Vernonia School Dist. 47J v. Ac-ton has recognized that deterring drugs is "important—indeed, perhaps compelling" which might allow for strip searches to be placed as "reasonable" under New Jersey v. T.L.O. This is further supported by MORSE ET AL. v. FREDERICK
So, under certain circumstances, the need to keep a school drug free can be reasonable enough for schools to strip search students. *Shudders*

:093:

~Peachy~

Is this a joke? Do you use this line every time someone asks for evidence? Provide evidence for your argument. Others have done so in this thread. At this point your argument is just speculation, there's no basis/substance to support it.

Even if your argument was ethical you would need to provide evidence from a documented ethical theory and PROVE that this case is indeed ethical. You can't just say "I think it is".

-blazed
♥No sir, your statement is a joke. Please read my answer to the quote below. ;)

Ok, you seem to have missed the part in the original post which said this is a LEGAL debate.

This is not a logical debate, this is not an ethical debate, this is a LEGAL debate, and therefore all assertions must be supported by law and case law.

You assert that there are limits to even free speech in law, but you give no evidence to back up that claim (the fact that you are correct is irrelevant). In the same way, you assert that there are limitations to a student's fourth amendment rights, and while you can use the sources I provided to back that up, you lack any clear line of legal reasoning to back up your specific assertions.

That is because again, in law, you don't need to just prove something is logically practical, you need to prove that prior courts have agreed with your logic. Same with ethics, you must prove that the courts have supported your particular line of ethical reasoning, otherwise it's a moot point.

The courts have been fine for quite some time without beinging outside ethics into how they ruled in cases, why must we now make them intrude? With logic, the courts have been using logic to apply previous decisions along with the law for many many years, why should we go back to square one and apply it in the aether?

If this debate hadn't been defined as a legal one, you would've been fine with just citing logic and ethics, however this IS a legal debate, so justify your legal assertions with legal evidence.

♥Who runs the legal system? The government. Who runs the government? Humans. What are humans capable of? THINKING. What is a major part of thinking? LOGIC.

♥1+1 will always equal 2. Does it not? It's that sort of thinking that will always be used in the system. The jury uses logic to declare a person innocent or guilty. The House of Legislation uses logic to declare whether a bill should become a law. Simple as that. The whole legal system revolves around logic and ethics. Evidence is there to spark, sway, and change the logic and ethics of the people that matter, but no matter how much evidence is there, it will still come down to the decision of the person(s). And what does that decision rely on? Logic and Ethics. That is that. ;)

♥Now, here's a little taste of evidence since you guys seem to need everything slapped right in front of your face without any use of thinking. ;)

http://www.cnn.com/US/9908/18/columbine.manes/index.html

♥Columbine High School shootings case in 1999. A bunch of commotion with all the details in that article. Go on, read it for yourselves if you have the time. Anyway, know one new exactly what was going on and all "accounts" of the story came from students and teachers. The accounts are all different, yet it was evident that there was a problem. Did people need concrete evidence? No, all anyone needed was a few screams and jumble up messages on cell phones to get what was happening. Guess what? There was a bloody killing spree in the High School. Now do you think that if the police said "Hmmmmmm....but there's no evidence..." that more people wouldn't have been killed? I don't think so! ^__^

blazedaces

Smash Lord

♥No sir, your statement is a joke. Please read my answer to the quote below. ;)

♥Who runs the legal system? The government. Who runs the government? Humans. What are humans capable of? THINKING. What is a major part of thinking? LOGIC.

♥1+1 will always equal 2. Does it not? It's that sort of thinking that will always be used in the system. The jury uses logic to declare a person innocent or guilty. The House of Legislation uses logic to declare whether a bill should become a law. Simple as that. The whole legal system revolves around logic and ethics. Evidence is there to spark, sway, and change the logic and ethics of the people that matter, but no matter how much evidence is there, it will still come down to the decision of the person(s). And what does that decision rely on? Logic and Ethics. That is that. ;)

♥Now, here's a little taste of evidence since you guys seem to need everything slapped right in front of your face without any use of thinking. ;)

♥Columbine High School shootings case in 1999. A bunch of commotion with all the details in that article. Go on, read it for yourselves if you have the time. Anyway, know one new exactly what was going on and all "accounts" of the story came from students and teachers. The accounts are all different, yet it was evident that there was a problem. Did people need concrete evidence? No, all anyone needed was a few screams and jumble up messages on cell phones to get what was happening. Guess what? There was a bloody killing spree in the High School. Now do you think that if the police said "Hmmmmmm....but there's no evidence..." that more people wouldn't have been killed? I don't think so! ^__^
Who let this person into the debate hall? Seriously?

So let me get this straight peachy. According to you, evidence is NEVER necessary for any argument because ALL man-made things are made by HUMANS and therefore, don't rely on evidence, but rather on... "logic"? WTF mate?

Where do you come up with this nonsense? I really don't understand. Have you never heard of the Columbine shootings? And since when are real accounts not considered evidence?

Listen Peachy, evidence is required for any substantial argument. That's just how debate works! Go read a book about how to debate correctly. Or take a class on critical reasoning. You can start by looking up some of these basic concepts on the internet.

I mean seriously, have you ever written an essay... for ... oh I don't know... school? Has your teacher never asked you to back up your statements with quotes, or facts? I don't even know how else to explain this to you. I'm sorry if I sound very condescending, but someone needs to slap you in the face about this kind of thing...

-blazed

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Columbine happened due to bullying. This has no place with 'student rights' because Harris and Klebold weren't stupid about it and didn't tell anybody. You can't use Columbine as evidence in a debate over what rights students are entitled too, when, in fact, that it wouldn't have mattered anyway! The only way Columbine could have been prevented is if the school cracked down on bullying like it was supposed too.

Don't use cases such as Columbine, where the suspects never told anybody about their plan, in a debate that's outcome can only effect people that are under suspicions before whatever plan there may be is carried out!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Has this case been decided upon yet?
That's actually the topic of discussion.

Also, I don't believe that the Tinker v. Des Moines School should be applied here. Wasn't it dealing specifically with the first amendment while we are arguing about the 4th amendment? So, how would the first amendment being allowed in school affect the limitations of the 4th amendment?
While it dealt with the first amendment, the only point that was important to establish from that case was really this phrase: "It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate. This has been the unmistakable holding of this Court for almost 50 years."

If you check the case, you will find it in the holding.

So, while the court's reasoning towards the first amendment is applicable, it lays out rather explicitly that students are entitled to their constitutional rights. After that point (until limited by later case law), technically all constitutional case law would apply to students, except that dealt with explicitly in the case, in other words, all warrantless searches would've been illegal.

As for Bell v. Wolfish, does it not deal with adults in prison? And as far as I know, adults and kids do not have the same rights, especially inmates and school children, as established by Bethel School Dist. No. 403 v. Fraser
The thing is, that shows that strip-searches are legally speaking an extraordinary measure, which tied into my later argument.

Meanwhile, Vernonia School Dist. 47J v. Ac-ton has recognized that deterring drugs is "important—indeed, perhaps compelling" which might allow for strip searches to be placed as "reasonable" under New Jersey v. T.L.O. This is further supported by MORSE ET AL. v. FREDERICK
So, under certain circumstances, the need to keep a school drug free can be reasonable enough for schools to strip search students. *Shudders*
I like your line of reasoning, however, "compelling" on it's own is not enough to justify a government action.

You still have to prove that the action taken is inherently reasonable, and if you read the Vernonia decision, certain important things stick out.

There is an additional respect in which school athletes have a reduced expectation of privacy. By choosing to "go out for the team," they voluntarily subject themselves to a degree of regulation even higher than that imposed on students generally. In Vernonia's public schools, they must submit to a preseason physical exam (James testified that his included the giving of a urine sample, App. 17), they must acquire adequate insurance coverage or sign an insurance waiver, maintain a minimum grade point average, and comply with any "rules of conduct, dress, training hours and related matters as may be established for each sport by the head coach and athletic director with the principal's approval." Record, Exh. 2, p. 30, 8. Somewhat like adults who choose to participate in a "closely regulated industry," students who voluntarily participate in school athletics have reason to expect intrusions upon normal rights and privileges, including privacy.
Here it says rather explicitly that students going out for athletics have less of an expectation of privacy because of the nature of what they volunteer to be part of.

We noted, however, that the degree of intrusion depends upon the manner in which production of the urine sample is monitored. Ibid. Under the District's Policy, male students produce samples at a urinal along a wall. They remain fully clothed and are only observed from behind, if at all. Female students produce samples in an enclosed stall, with a female monitor standing outside listening only for sounds of tampering. These conditions are nearly identical to those typically encountered in public restrooms, which men, women, and especially school children use daily. Under such conditions, the privacy interests compromised by the process of obtaining the urine sample are in our view negligible.
This deals with how the actual physical invasion of privacy is negligible.

This brings about the overall point that the test is only invasive the medical information sense, not physically invasive.

For their own good and that of their classmates, public school children are routinely required to submit to various physical examinations, and to be vaccinated against various diseases. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, most public schools "provide vision and hearing screening and dental and dermatological checks. . . . Others also mandate scoliosis screening at appropriate grade levels." Committee on School Health, American Academy of Pediatrics, School Health: A Guide for Health Professionals 2 (1987). In the 1991-1992 school year, all 50 States required public-school students to be vaccinated against diphtheria, measles, rubella, and polio. U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, State Immunization Requirements 1991-1992, p. 1. Particularly with regard to medical examinations and procedures, therefore, "students within the school environment have a lesser expectation of privacy than members of the population generally."
However, the case that we are dealing with is a physically invasive search for a medical necessity, and something that schools are not shown to normally have heightened access to. Therefore, this does not illustrate the reasonableness of a strip search in general.

And people are capable of arriving at differing conclusions using logic depending on their preconceptions, experiences, genetic heritage, and what the constraints of the issue at hand are.

That's why we have law in the first place, to provide a reasonably consistent manner by which we can interpret what should be punishable by law, because everybody and their mom has different ideals on that topic, making it totally impossible to rule on each and every case based on logic alone, nobody would ever know what is a crime, and people would be subject to capricious justice resulting in one man losing his head for standing there and being quiet (I've seen students get detentions for this btw) and another getting off scott-free for mass murder. Often times this might relate to personal connections.

Really, if you want to see how this type of justice works, go to 4chan, "no rules" but mods can ban you for anything.

Your recourse if you really WANT anarchy, is to try to change the rules to be like that. But currently, we're debating on the laws on the books, AS THEY STAND, not what the best laws would be.

*redefines "1" to equal 4*

You may think that this is just a little trick, the thing is, law is fundamentally different different from ethics or pure logic due to it's nature as being define not by acceptance of a single philosophy, but consensus from a variety of influence. In essence, you could redefine "1" to equal 4 and have the same net effect, for a person who understands, it's reasonable and debatable. For a person who does not delved into the process, they have no understanding of even the most basic tenants and it seems like an utterly arcane process. A person such as you. Overall, it's most akin to literary analysis.

No then, but judges and juries do not use logic on it's own to figure out whether somebody is innocent or guilty, they reference to the law itself, and in doing so substitute it for their own preconceptions except for the evidenciary ones that the law asks for.

And though something may be used to create something else, that thing created is often quite distinguishable from what it's created from.

Law is very obviously one such case, it is perfectly distinguishable from ethics because when you apply law and ethics to the same situation, you often come up with very opposite conclusions. I can provide many counter-examples if you desire.

I never said "without thinking", that's what you're doing.

If you actually read, you'd realize that what you presented is not evidence for your assertion.

"Evidence" is law, case law, and only information about the event(s) itself(themselves) that satisfies the test(s) provided within law and case law.

Where the logic comes in is understanding and interpreting case law.

Again, I reference to above, without any law, depending on one's political philosophy and ethical ideals, one could come to a wide variety of conclusions using the merely an event or events as evidence.

One could conclude that civil liberties are too great a deterrent to protecting the people and must be done away with.

One could conclude that a more libertarian society would not have this problem and we need wider civil rights.

One could conclude that the kids killed were unjust tormentors, and the jobs of the kids who did this was not finished, so somebody else should finish it.

From there, grounded in different ethical systems and political philosophies, these points take shape, but none are the law on the books, voted upon and enacted by our duly appointed representatives. What we are talking about is that.

There is obviously room for thinking and debating, why else would people debate about law. But the substance is not derived from understandings of right or wrong, but instead from written law and case law, with outside evidence where it's applicable.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
That's actually the topic of discussion.
Oh... lol!

While it dealt with the first amendment, the only point that was important to establish from that case was really this phrase: "It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate. This has been the unmistakable holding of this Court for almost 50 years."

If you check the case, you will find it in the holding.

So, while the court's reasoning towards the first amendment is applicable, it lays out rather explicitly that students are entitled to their constitutional rights. After that point (until limited by later case law), technically all constitutional case law would apply to students, except that dealt with explicitly in the case, in other words, all warrantless searches would've been illegal.
Ah, Okay. However, since there, there have been cases limiting students' rights, which is why there is a discussion in the first place, correct?

The thing is, that shows that strip-searches are legally speaking an extraordinary measure, which tied into my later argument.
Is that the only extraordinary issue? Or are there more that I simply can't find... >_<

I like your line of reasoning, however, "compelling" on it's own is not enough to justify a government action.

You still have to prove that the action taken is inherently reasonable, and if you read the Vernonia decision, certain important things stick out.
I would say it is about as reasonable as Random Drug Testing, which is allowed to be done upon people with "safety-sensitive" positions, such as positions that have daily interactions with students. http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Sep/1/129211.html Thus, one can technically place a student's role as "safety sensitive" and allow for Random Drug Testing. Now of course, this is a stretch, but... yeah, lol.

Here it says rather explicitly that students going out for athletics have less of an expectation of privacy because of the nature of what they volunteer to be part of.

This deals with how the actual physical invasion of privacy is negligible.

This brings about the overall point that the test is only invasive the medical information sense, not physically invasive.
Ah, however, in another case of Joye v. Hunterdon Central Regional High School Board of Ed. that the goal of deterring drug use outweighs the intrusion of privacy. In which case, it becomes up to the court to determine which types of intrusion counts as "minimal," considering that drug testing through urine now counts as "minimal" intrusion. Furthermore, strip-searching can be looked upon as a type of drug testing in which case, it would be inherently reasonable and that the need to deter drugs would counterbalance the privacy intrusion.

However, the case that we are dealing with is a physically invasive search for a medical necessity, and something that schools are not shown to normally have heightened access to. Therefore, this does not illustrate the reasonableness of a strip search in general.
Although, you did state that it is a search for a medical necessity, a word which has strong implications to it. Therefore, it would be very reasonable to search a student for the cases of medical necessities, which I would say, is more than simply "compelling." Moreover, in the fields of drugs, these two could both be used as it might be a medical necessity and a compelling need to deter drugs, which would allow for a strip search.

Okay, I need to say 2 things:
I don't agree with anything I say, lol.
Common law is a lot harder to find cases of to support a stance than statistics. :urg:

:093:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Been meaning to reply to this for a while...

Is that the only extraordinary issue? Or are there more that I simply can't find... >_<
No, but it's the relevant one from the debate for now. Also remember, it could be established by other case law. Things that "shock the conscience" are for example, always considered extraordinary.

I would say it is about as reasonable as Random Drug Testing, which is allowed to be done upon people with "safety-sensitive" positions, such as positions that have daily interactions with students. http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Sep/1/129211.html Thus, one can technically place a student's role as "safety sensitive" and allow for Random Drug Testing. Now of course, this is a stretch, but... yeah, lol.
Again, if you look at the decisions that I've pointed out, that's not true, I'll expand on that a bit more in the next few sections.

Ah, however, in another case of Joye v. Hunterdon Central Regional High School Board of Ed. that the goal of deterring drug use outweighs the intrusion of privacy. In which case, it becomes up to the court to determine which types of intrusion counts as "minimal," considering that drug testing through urine now counts as "minimal" intrusion. Furthermore, strip-searching can be looked upon as a type of drug testing in which case, it would be inherently reasonable and that the need to deter drugs would counterbalance the privacy intrusion.

Although, you did state that it is a search for a medical necessity, a word which has strong implications to it. Therefore, it would be very reasonable to search a student for the cases of medical necessities, which I would say, is more than simply "compelling." Moreover, in the fields of drugs, these two could both be used as it might be a medical necessity and a compelling need to deter drugs, which would allow for a strip search.
But the court HAS decided, at least up to this point.

Again, look at the decision which authorizes random drug testing, the reasoning is very tight, they assert that the invasions of privacy are small because the school already is able to make the same type of intrusion.

The medical information, the school already has access to, due to the many physicals which the students are required to go through, and the fact that they are required to give the results to the school.

The school already has access to all your medical information, therefore, no legitimate expectation of privacy.

Now, here's the key, the testing itself. The decision explicitly states that the invasion of privacy is the same as if the person were using the normal bathrooms facilities (which is true). Since people use the bathroom normally, there is no legitimate expectation of privacy.

In other words, the test is a combination of two situations where the student has no legitimate expectation of privacy in regards to schools, using the bathroom, and medical data.

However, seeing a student naked is a bit unprecedented. If it only applied to students in athletics and same-sex, it might've passed. However, a lot of students wear underwear or similar clothing when changing in locker rooms and showering, there is no nudity requirement, so there is a legitimate expectation of privacy here anyway.

Again, read the decision:

"Vernonia School District v. Acton Section IV" said:
Having considered the scope of the legitimate expectation of privacy at issue here, we turn next to the character of the intrusion that is complained of. We recognized in Skinner that collecting the samples for urinalysis intrudes upon "an excretory function traditionally shielded by great privacy." Skinner, 489 U.S., at 626 . We noted, however, that the degree of intrusion depends upon the manner in which production of the urine sample is monitored. Ibid. Under the District's Policy, male students produce samples at a urinal along a wall. They remain fully clothed and are only observed from behind, if at all. Female students produce samples [ VERNONIA SCHOOL DIST. 47J v. ACTON, ___ U.S. ___ (1995) , 12] in an enclosed stall, with a female monitor standing outside listening only for sounds of tampering. These conditions are nearly identical to those typically encountered in public restrooms, which men, women, and especially school children use daily. Under such conditions, the privacy interests compromised by the process of obtaining the urine sample are in our view negligible. The other privacy-invasive aspect of urinalysis is, of course, the information it discloses concerning the state of the subject's body, and the materials he has ingested. In this regard it is significant that the tests at issue here look only for drugs, and not for whether the student is, for example, epileptic, pregnant, or diabetic. See Skinner, supra, at 617. Moreover, the drugs for which the samples are screened are standard, and do not vary according to the identity of the student. And finally, the results of the tests are disclosed only to a limited class of school personnel who have a need to know; and they are not turned over to law enforcement authorities or used for any internal disciplinary function. 796 F. Supp., at 1364; see also 23 F.3d, at 1521. 2 [ VERNONIA SCHOOL DIST. 47J v. ACTON, ___ U.S. ___ (1995) , 13]

Common law is a lot harder to find cases of to support a stance than statistics. :urg:
Definitely, it's pretty interesting though.

Again, I suggest Wikipedia to start your search, then look up interesting cases on findlaw.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As a sort of legal follow-up, it's good to know that the case has been decided, and the opinion can be found here.

While the opinion did not cite all the case law to substantiate this that came up in the argument, it's reasoning was basically the same as mine, that the strip search was overly intrusive, and that case law did not justify that level of intrusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom