• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What *serious* ideas would you like to see in a Video Game?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Link to original post: [drupal=1852]What *serious* ideas would you like to see in a Video Game?[/drupal]

Well starting in March 2006, I had a little hobby. I got really into the idea of making videos games, thanks to a Game Informer mag that advertised the field and easy ways to get started. Well I was 12 back then, so I started out simple. I would literally sit there for hours, brainstorming ideas, scripting games (not speech more like bosses, levels, control settings, etc etc) and have the time of my life. Also, back when I could draw, I would design systems or mini computer or handhelds. Basically, I would go in. However in 2008, I hit a slump, my last game being titled Owen and Omen 2 and DS (think Dr.Jekyl and Mr.Hyde induced into a platformer).

Now, this brings me to my point. My interest in this has sprung up again, whether it be my career or not, it is a captivating hobby. I NEED YOU!!! Feed me ideas, and I might keep a blog updating on a sample of what you guys help me out with, so you can get the idea of how I do it. really it's just pages of looseleaf, and strong imagination. So yeah, what do you guys want to see in video games?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a nerd, I hang out with my friends a lot, it was a side thing and I just had it as a passion back then.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Customization. I want a game where you can create your own story as you live it, while creating a character from scratch, giving them not only their looks and attire, but their voice, attitude, and practically anything you imagine your ideal character would have.

I also dream of voice recording, where you can assign voice files to different actions and what not. I really hate restrictions. MMOs don't do it for me, so an action RPG similar to Kingdom Hearts where I can pretty choose my own path story-wise would be my ideal game, period.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Customization. I want a game where you can create your own story as you live it, while creating a character from scratch, giving them not only their looks and attire, but their voice, attitude, and practically anything you imagine your ideal character would have.

I also dream of voice recording, where you can assign voice files to different actions and what not. I really hate restrictions. MMOs don't do it for me, so an action RPG similar to Kingdom Hearts where I can pretty choose my own path story-wise would be my ideal game, period.
I once had the largest project idea ever, called Life In Da City, it was a Sims-esque game, but with a lot more options and realism. This is a good start to throw in my brainstorm though, thanks :)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Wait your 15? Didn't know that.

Anyway, I dunno if you want us to use series' that have been made already, but I think there should be a Fire Emblem that brings together all of the games and characters.

Also, I'd been thinking about this one idea for a while: An FPS/RPG set in medieval times that starts out with you being a kid in a village by the castle, wandering around, and decisions will be presented to you. How you deal with each decision as a child shapes your character in the future, but there's a catch: You don't know how each decision will change you. And it wouldn't just be like "here's two options pick one," there would be multiple things you could do in any given situation. Now the time comes for you to become a knight. Your castle/kingdom is at war with another castle/kingdom. You can sign up for 2 different classes: spearmen (short range) or archer (long range). Now the RPG part picks up. You get XP for kills and wounding people. Now as a short range soldier, it's easier to wound and kill soldiers than an archer, but it's easier to level up as an archer. Now the battlefield will be huge, with battle raging around you. Now the CPU will actually help you in this game. Most of the foot soldiers aren't much of a help, but knights will ride around and cause massive damage. Enemy knights will be the same, and killing them results in much more XP. Battle machines will be in abundance, ranging from trebuchets to siege towers. Sometimes you'll be on the offensive, sometimes the defensive. There will be a set amount of soldiers on each side, and the amount that you come back with will pretty much be the amount you go into battle with the next time, albeit with a few reinforcements. As you level up you can acquire better weapons, and eventually change classes to either a Knight (short range), a Warrior (short/long range, axe and crossbow), or a Marksman (long range). Then you keep battling etc. and gain the kings favor, and you'll be presented with one final decision: Stay a soldier, or become a baron. The former is self explanatory, the latter would entail you having your own little castle in the kingdom and having your own little garrison of soldiers for you to command, and if you choose that path you can become a king eventually.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Wait your 15? Didn't know that.

Anyway, I dunno if you want us to use series' that have been made already, but I think there should be a Fire Emblem that brings together all of the games and characters.

Also, I'd been thinking about this one idea for a while: An FPS/RPG set in medieval times that starts out with you being a kid in a village by the castle, wandering around, and decisions will be presented to you. How you deal with each decision as a child shapes your character in the future, but there's a catch: You don't know how each decision will change you. And it wouldn't just be like "here's two options pick one," there would be multiple things you could do in any given situation. Now the time comes for you to become a knight. Your castle/kingdom is at war with another castle/kingdom. You can sign up for 2 different classes: spearmen (short range) or archer (long range). Now the RPG part picks up. You get XP for kills and wounding people. Now as a short range soldier, it's easier to wound and kill soldiers than an archer, but it's easier to level up as an archer. Now the battlefield will be huge, with battle raging around you. Now the CPU will actually help you in this game. Most of the foot soldiers aren't much of a help, but knights will ride around and cause massive damage. Enemy knights will be the same, and killing them results in much more XP. Battle machines will be in abundance, ranging from trebuchets to siege towers. Sometimes you'll be on the offensive, sometimes the defensive. There will be a set amount of soldiers on each side, and the amount that you come back with will pretty much be the amount you go into battle with the next time, albeit with a few reinforcements. As you level up you can acquire better weapons, and eventually change classes to either a Knight (short range), a Warrior (short/long range, axe and crossbow), or a Marksman (long range). Then you keep battling etc. and gain the kings favor, and you'll be presented with one final decision: Stay a soldier, or become a baron. The former is self explanatory, the latter would entail you having your own little castle in the kingdom and having your own little garrison of soldiers for you to command, and if you choose that path you can become a king eventually.
I thought My Life As A King would be like that, but reversed.

I was wroooooong.

That sounds pretty good, though I am not fond of the FPS part, because it would seem too much like Elder Scrolls. I also like seeing my character at all times. This is why Dragon Quest Swords wasn't that great to me.

You should play Radiata Stories. The kid part sounded very similar to that game.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
A game that takes you through (important/war-esque events in) hisssssstory!

It'd range from the Civil War, to pirate ships, to hell, fighting dinosaurs. Obviously, It'd have to be butchered as much as needed to make it interesting.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I am not a nerd, I just play a Nintendo beat em up competitively and visit an internet forum dedicated to said activity daily.

It's ok, friends, family, and aaaaall the poontang in the world doesn't change the fact that you're a nerd.
I find your level of denial disturbing.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I am not a nerd, I just play a Nintendo beat em up competitively and visit an internet forum dedicated to said activity daily.

It's ok, friends, family, and aaaaall the poontang in the world doesn't change the fact that you're a nerd.
Okay, now Teran is my favorite person x 12

But seriously, I'd love to have a whole array of customization options like people have already said. I've never been too interested in games that take place in our time period. I suppose that part of the game makes it too realistic for me, even if theres some fictional character. Games set in places like space, the far future, or past have always appealed to me much more.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

I wish it were denial, I'm nowhere close to a nerd buddy =P

Back on topic, I like some of these ideas, customization is a huge factor in a successful game.

Frown

poekmon
I want a point-and-click adventure game that lasts for more than 100 hours. I really dislike it when I feel like I'm about to finish an adventure game.

cman

Smash Ace
I want fire emblem to have a ****ing decent multiplayer. Like actual maps with x number of units that you and you're opponents start with (not the same units, just the same number). Honestly, they pay these guys how much, and they can't come up with such a simple and obvious idea?

Chaco

Never Logs In
OMG Turn based fighting style.
Customizable Characters
Multiple Storylines depending on who you choose to follow.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'd like to see a higher level of difficulty in the next Zelda, or at least difficulty options. Zelda has become retardedly easy since Majora's Mask. In the world of 3-D gaming, I understand that they can't populate the overworld with massive numbers of palette-swapped monsters, but there are still things they can do:

-Make monsters take 2-3 hearts away when they hit

-Don't make the camera give away the secret of the puzzles (Wind Waker was really guilty of this one)

-PLEASE GET RID OF THE ALL-KNOWING SIDEKICK! They got rid of it for Wind Waker, but man, Midna was 100 times worse than Navi. And they had her icon right in the middle of the screen, basically forcing you to take the hint.

Among other things. If they don't want to make it too hard and scare away new gamers, that's fine, just give Zelda veterans a higher difficulty setting to choose. This has become almost standard on modern FPSes, and it would allow Nintendo to simultaneously please two markets.

Some progress has already been made, such as falling in lava took away 1/4 of a heart in WW, while it took two whole hearts in TP. The difference in those numbers changes a platforming segment of the game from merely annoying to challenging.

ebhz.Ash.4rm

Smash Cadet

Play Fallout 3. And voice recognition in a game would be too much hassle, say you use Wii speak to make it happen then you have all the background noises and even the noises from the game itself. Voice recognition for various actions would a be a bit ridiculous I mean running up to a monster and shouting attack at your TV would lose the gimmick quickly.

An FPS, First Person SHOOTER, a game where you walk around and shoot things when people are still using bows and arrows? Seriously? That would be a bit too drab, if you did have guns it would be fake ***, if you use crossbows etc. then it'll just get boring. This is basically Fable 2 in FPS form. Oh and with less options.

A game that takes you through (important/war-esque events in) hisssssstory!

It'd range from the Civil War, to pirate ships, to hell, fighting dinosaurs. Obviously, It'd have to be butchered as much as needed to make it interesting.
This is the Total War series basically. Check it out, it's very awesome.

I wish it were denial, I'm nowhere close to a nerd buddy =P

Back on topic, I like some of these ideas, customization is a huge factor in a successful game.
Dude the guy hit the nail on the head, I'm a nerd and on my only forum other than this (which is about making games) I have got 300 posts in 2 years. You're upwards of 2k in half the time, you're clearly a nerd, not that there's anything wrong with that. I was hanging out with my friends too, it just that we happened to be playing brawl.

I'd like to see a higher level of difficulty in the next Zelda, or at least difficulty options. Zelda has become retardedly easy since Majora's Mask. In the world of 3-D gaming, I understand that they can't populate the overworld with massive numbers of palette-swapped monsters, but there are still things they can do:

-Make monsters take 2-3 hearts away when they hit

-Don't make the camera give away the secret of the puzzles (Wind Waker was really guilty of this one)

-PLEASE GET RID OF THE ALL-KNOWING SIDEKICK! They got rid of it for Wind Waker, but man, Midna was 100 times worse than Navi. And they had her icon right in the middle of the screen, basically forcing you to take the hint.

Among other things. If they don't want to make it too hard and scare away new gamers, that's fine, just give Zelda veterans a higher difficulty setting to choose. This has become almost standard on modern FPSes, and it would allow Nintendo to simultaneously please two markets.

Some progress has already been made, such as falling in lava took away 1/4 of a heart in WW, while it took two whole hearts in TP. The difference in those numbers changes a platforming segment of the game from merely annoying to challenging.
If they make the game more difficult they lock out the new audience that they sucked in with the Wii and DS, also Zelda does not have adjustable difficulty so they would be locked out of one of Nintendo's top franchises, it's like if they made you have to level too 100 for the Pokémon league in D/P/Pt, it'd make it a lot less fun for the casual players.

@ Topic starter: Asking around on a forum with gamers isn't a smart place to look for ideas, chances are you'll get recycled ideas of what they've played made better. If you want an idea then you should look at what other game designers look at for inspiration to make a game and then find your own and make a game based on that. For example when I'm looking for ideas about anything say a game I find a human emotion and apply that to gameplay, like say I look at Kinship then I think how about a game where you have two blobs a male one and a female one, the male one wants to attract the female one so he has to perform a bunch of physics based tricks and depending on how well he does he gets her affections (in blob form). This not only ensures not only that you won't be recycling something that Capcom or Nintendo could do better but also you come up with something original which should you ever want to join a games company will get you more brownie points than say a badly pulled off Zelda remake.

You can keep getting ideas, it's your game after all but when you look around at successful games it's not the clones that are up there.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Lara Croft with Breast Cancer
I will seriously love whoever gets that reference

Also, Jam, I hope the heart idea is for the late game, because beginning of the game would be unfair to the gaming rookie, dying in 1-2 hits.

finalark

SNORLAX
Here's one: an ARPG (anime RPG) in which the writer's decide NOT to try and make the game as much like an anime as possible. I'd like female characters that act like human beings, not ones that are either shy, timid, kind and **** near perfect or that want to cut off your nipples because they're baddass action chicks and don't have room for "emotions." And I want male characters that are not one of the following:

A) Young, spunky and have a sense of justice so strong that it would make Superman vomit.

B) Are so busy brooding or being emo that their very voice box is actually Linkin Park's latest CD.

C) Annoying ten-year-olds.

I want a plot that isn't so predicable that it makes the Transformers movie look like Shakespeare. And it can't utilize every single stereotypical anime plot twist ever made. All anime cliches such as having a character openly voice his/her every thought like "so there are still people alive in this world" and yet no one seems to be able to figure out that said person is from a different world! In other words, I want an ARPG that looks like an anime, but doesn't act like one.

Other than Fire Emblem, of course.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Lara Croft with Breast Cancer
I will seriously love whoever gets that reference

Also, Jam, I hope the heart idea is for the late game, because beginning of the game would be unfair to the gaming rookie, dying in 1-2 hits.
Yeah, it would be a late game thing. Progressively harder difficulty, I should have said.

@ ebhz.Ash.4rm- I know that Zelda doesn't have difficulty settings. I'm saying that I wish that it did, in keeping with the theme of the blog.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I need more mind cracking goodness. I want that game. I doubt it's as bad as what i have seen, who in here has seen a danceing potato or talked to a bush for half an hour and didn't even know it? and wasn't druged up? My mind is a place that is srcay as H***

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So far I'm drafting up a game with everything that really makes you feel in control (your own story, character, difficulty). However, I don't want it to be too much like the Sims, Populous, Black & White, or any other simulation/God game. I also want ti to be fairly original, which is hard since every aspect of gaming has been milked dry.

Guys, talking to people online, on a forum, doesn't define you as a nerd, socializing with people definitely does not make you a nerd. How do you think Facebook and AIM work? I'd have 2 billion posts for that matter =x Believe what you want, I'll listen to what I know lol.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I would like to see a zombie game that acts like the movies where ,if your bitten, your screwed >.>

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♡Hmmmmmm...I think I would like an rpg game (anime pls ;)) that let's the player actually connect with the main character. Oooo...gender picking and customizable clothes is cute too! ;) But maybe the whole "Sims" concept of making the main character exactly like you is a tad bit too far....^__^;

♡Staying away from character archetypes and cliche's that are a little too overused would be a big plus. I like characters with depth to them.;)

♡Oooo....a game that has the option for turn-based battles or real-time battles would be splendid! Some days I wish I can actually run up to the opponents and hit them and other days I like to use attacks with a click of a button. ;)

♡A multiplayer system would also be splendid! But I hope it would actually be well thought out and not thrown together for the extra fluff. Maybe a separate "party mode" version that is completely unattached to the storyline or a system where friends can join the battles! ^__^

♡Different difficulty levels are splendid so everyone can enjoy the game! Ooooo.....and wifi connection would also be nice! I don't think there are many role-playing games with wifi compatibility. Of course, there are those MMORPG's but I'm not really into those....^__^;

♡Well...that's a few I'd like to see, and I know some of the above mentioned are already in seperate games, but I'm not sure if they are all in one game. I would love to see thatt. ;)

Katapultar

Smash Lord
They need a great game like Metal Gear Solid 3 substinince where it is educational (Sometimes) and it has great cutscenes like a movie if you want to sit back, and action-packed gameplay. That was "the" best game ever (Second to Brawl of course) in my eyes. For a game, combine SSBB with RPG and great dialouge and plot (Better bosses of course) for a great game.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
They need a great game like Metal Gear Solid 3 substinince where it is educational (Sometimes) and it has great cutscenes like a movie if you want to sit back, and action-packed gameplay. That was "the" best game ever (Second to Brawl of course) in my eyes. For a game, combine SSBB with RPG and great dialouge and plot (Better bosses of course) for a great game.
So many people love the RPG concept, with a load of options that can make you control a lot in the game. I was thinking what if there could be a ridiculously real-looking RPG, using graphics technology reserved for sports games and simulations. I'm basically just looking for that amazing kick *** twist, and I'll get to work on this.

Basically, let's come up with some amazing concept behind the story, and an interesting play mechanic.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
:) This is a cool thread :)

Here is one idea I have worked on a little- A space western. Sort of like Fable (which I have never played)
mixed with the Godfather game. You walk up to a dusty town and can go anywhere. You can find jobs at pubs, to raid trains, take people out-Gunfights, and the like. You control how you want your character to act(as in you can make all of his choices) there will be random gunfights, like you walk into a pub one day and nothing happens, but the next day 3 outlaws tip over a table and start shooting at you. You can find a horse to ride on, and sneak onto trains for travel, and you can get minority for the crimes you do, and the more famous you are, more WANTED posters appear around the world, and you can tear them down by pressing a button lol. Space travel!Soon in the game(But not too soon, to make sure YOU chart your life) you find a town a lot more advanced than the western town. (OR, there could be time travel, which could be amazing, where your western weapons are now lasers and sci-fi fiction.) Anyway, if you have enough money or something, you can build your own spaceship, and travel in space, where you can basically do everything you could in the western town, and more. Plus, on Earth, there would be a day and night system, similar to Majora's Mask, where people have their own schedules and walk around to different places in town.

@ Katapulter-
I agree, MGS3 is an amazing game. It is like a movie that you can change what happens a little every time. Like how there are like 4 different ways to kill The End (
Lol, my favorite, in which you shoot him in the head with a sniper rifle really early in the game at a scene where he rolls by, and he explodes, and part of his wheel chair hits your head :))

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Make a game that plays like Subspace emissary, but with more varied enemies, better plot, and HP over %. Increasing difficulties in Subspace is WIN. I personally think SSE was possibly one of the best side scrollers ever invented, down to the sticker based power-ups. You acquire power-ups in game, get to choose which of your recruits you use at the beginning of each level, people get split up, etc. Naturally, it should have the wit of Paper Mario, and due to the design, it will take skill. Your character should obviously gain more abilities as you go along the way.

Essentially, you're making a Kirby game that has the elements of a Zelda game and the plot FE game, that takes the skill of a fighting game, and the character development of an RPG.

For those of you that don't think such a game can exist, all I have to say is, Secrets of Evermore came out for the SNES, and we've come a long way since then in terms of technology.

bobson

Smash Lord
For those of you that don't think such a game can exist, all I have to say is, Secrets of Evermore came out for the SNES, and we've come a long way since then in terms of technology.
It's not the technological barrier that keeps games like these from being made, trust me.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I would like to see a revolutionized FE-style game.

Remove the RNG (random number generator for luck based elements), random level ups, dodge percentages and such, making the game completely reliant on the player's skill.

But rather than just remove things, I would also like to see an increase in tactical options. Why not allow for the ability to form a defensive line formation or even a Roman "turtle shell" formation with your Halberdiers and such? Why not have the ability to group your archers together in order to rain doom on a cluster of foes with a barrage of arrows? The core for formation based tactics is already in FE- in the form of the triangle attacks.... why not build on it?

Top Bottom