• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I worry about when playing Sheik?

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
What are some tips playing against a Sheik?

4tlas

Smash Lord
2 big, easy things that you will encounter against every Sheik regardless of playstyle are DIing out of her throws and edgeguarding/edgehogging her.

Dthrow and Bthrow are the ones that are quick and thus difficult to react to. Both should be DI'd away from her to avoid followups, but "away" is different depending on which one she uses. Some players will swap which one they use to throw off your DI, so look out for this if you notice your opponent is one of those players. On the other hand, if you are near the ledge you should assume they will use whichever one puts you off the stage and DI off the stage to avoid the followup, then try to recover. If they use the other one at least you're still on the stage, which is infinitely better than dead.

As for her recovery, her only real option is where/when to upB (wall jump/cling is situational on a per-stage basis). She can grab the ledge (even backward) at the height of her initial upB jump and during the reappearance. She gets invuln frames about halfway(?) through the initial hop. There is no hitbox when she reappears, so if you can grab the ledge to get invuln frames during her disappearing hitbox then you can easily edgehog her. Alternatively, if she has to use the full distance to reach the ledge, you can easily edgehog her. If she lands on the stage with the move, it has a lot of endlag compared to all other upBs in the game. You should have plenty of time to drop backwards off the ledge, jump, and punish. Experiment to find the best punish you can get. For some characters thats waveland Usmash or Fsmash, for some its waveland Bthrow, for others its an aerial.

There are certainly many more things but these are straightforward and universally helpful, and thus a good place to start.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Needles are amazing in neutral and in edgeguarding so be wary of that in general. As Mario you should definitely make use of fireballs to clank those out in neutral, buffer spotdodge if the sheik needle grabs a lot. Use your wall jumps while recovering because Sheik can't cover the 45 degrees past the ledge. Be ready to cape sheik as she vanishes above ledge because it's a super free gimp a lot of the time and cape has a huge hitbox. CCing hurts a lot of Sheik's options in neutral, too.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Crouch-cancel her Tilts and Dash-attacks at lower %s if you aren't getting grabbed.

Sheik's recovery is too easy to punish- if you grab ledge and roll on you should still have time to punish her up+B landing lag.

Sheik has poor approach and is played best as a zoning/spacing character, she has good defense and an amazing Nair out of shield option.

Don't throw out moves randomly, she's fast enough to react to whiffs and has an amazing punish game.

She's slow in the air but fast on the ground.

Last edited:

HiroProtagonist

Smash Apprentice
Opinions on the Ganon matchup? I get bodied against Sheik's regularly, and I cant decide if the matchup just sucks or I'm trash. Sheik just seems to be able to exploit all of Ganon's flaws so easily- fast ground speed can punish any slipups, and grabs lead into ezmode punishes and amazingly simple edgeguards. I feel like I have my punishes and edgeguards against her fairly on point, but can't figure out what to do in neutral. Any tips?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Opinions on the Ganon matchup? I get bodied against Sheik's regularly, and I cant decide if the matchup just sucks or I'm trash. Sheik just seems to be able to exploit all of Ganon's flaws so easily- fast ground speed can punish any slipups, and grabs lead into ezmode punishes and amazingly simple edgeguards. I feel like I have my punishes and edgeguards against her fairly on point, but can't figure out what to do in neutral. Any tips?
I can't give specific advice without seeing how you play currently, but I would recommend using the float and doublejump to change the timing on your moves, and mixup which move you use between fair, bair, and sideB command grab. If you threaten fair/sideB Sheik will have to stay a decent distance away or be ready to spot dodge. Hopefully you can use this to force your opponent down the stage. If you threaten bair you can't be approached because it is so quick, but the lesser reach may trick Sheik into approaching most of the distance then waiting for you to land. In that case, sideB at them. Most players forget that Ganon has a lateral anti-shield option, especially when you start out facing the wrong way. It just doesn't look like you are/can approach while hovering backwards. Of course if you abuse it they will smart up, so mix it up.

Top Bottom