• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What stages would be good for metroid?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I would really like to see Brinstar back since it's pratically been in the last two, so yea I really want this stage back, but we'll probably get a Ridley-based stage since his theme was included, and we can also expect a Zero-Suit Samus stage but I'm not sure how it would look

the grim lizard

Smash Master
These would.

Here's the Ridley stages I made:

Planet Zebes
Norfair

Norfair would be a combination of the Ridley Boss Room and Lower Norfair from the 2D Metroid games. The battle takes place on a central steel platform that is approximately the length of the Fountain of Dreams stage from Melee. The platform is held above a bed of lava by two metal pillars at each of its ends. These pillars extend and contract when the lava rises and falls, respectively, thus raising and lowering the main platform. This can cause the fight to move closer to the top kill zone, allowing for easier vertical KOs. Two Rippers (small, brown hovering beetles) will often rise from the lava and roam the areas on each side of the main platform. They work like moving ledges, in other words, you can hang on to them for dear life. From time to time, these little guys will save you from certain death.

The lava beneath the stage is deadly. Acting as the acid did in the Brinstar stage from Melee, it sends you rocketing upward if you happen to land in it. This can be especially dangerous if the lava has risen, and the main platform is closer to the level's ceiling. The kill zones to the left and right of the stage are relatively wide, about the same as those in Final Destination.

The background in Ridley's Lair would be home to several cameos appearances by a few critters from the Metroid games. Large, gaudy columns line the background, engraved with lores and pictures by the Chozo. Ancient, crumbling Chozo statues and architecture line the floor, damaged by years of erosion from the constantly rising lava. Occasionally, an Etecoon or a Dachoras will wander around in the background, hopping around on the statues. The flickering light from the lava causes the small, friendly creatures to cast huge, ominous shadows as they pass by.

Sounds would include the crackling of fire from the lava, and the noise of bubbles rising to the surface and bursting, generated by the same burning lake of fire. When one of the animals moves around in the background, the sound of their footsteps and crumbling rocks would echo through the huge, open chamber. The music playing would be none other than the Lower Norfair theme. It's solid beat sets the pace for battle.

Listen or Download the Song Here

Tallon IV
Artifact Temple

Everyone, even those new to the Metroid series, should know about this level. Taken straight from Metroid Prime, is the Artifact Temple, the location where you first encounter Meta Ridley. The battle is fought from the front view of the stage on the cliff overlooking the Impact Crater. To make it a playable arena, the small statues that hold the artifacts are removed, but in their place are two small platforms hovering over the gigantic, main platform. These platforms, like the statues, have thick, engraved lines that glow blue. These markings spread from the center of each platform, in which there's a glowing, blue, circular engraving.

The length of the main platform is the equivalent of Final Destination. The horizontal kill zones are quite short, allowing for an occasional cheap KO. However, the level has a very high ceiling, so star KOs are hard to come by. The walls leading up to the ledge of each side of the stage are high and flat. This affects the difficulty each character has recovering drastically.

Periodically, the enormous Chozo statues in the background will "come to life" and their rich blue light turns into a deep red. Their eyes steadily shine brighter and brighter, until lasers shoot from them. The tiny red lines meet at a central point, where they form a thick scarlett beam that fires at the character that is currently in the lead. The laser stuns the player for a few seconds, leaving him open to an attack for a short time, then the beam dies down and parishes. The light in the statues' eyes fade away, and the red lights change to blue again.

The most notable cosmetic change of the Artifact Temple is the weather. Starting with a clear, peaceful day, it worsens as dark clouds start to gather, and it begins to rain. It progresses from a light drizzle, to a downpour, and finally into a frightening thunderstorm. Then, the sky clears, and the cycle continues. As the weather changes, however, so does the atmosphere of the battle. When sunny and mellow, flocks of birds will soar into the horizon, various creatures can be heard in background, and the music (The Red Brinstar Remix that was later used for Metroid: Prime) is slow and calm. As it starts to rain, everything goes silent, the setting darkens, and the theme picks up tempo. While the rain comes down heavier and harder, the rumbling and crashing of the thunder shakes the ground, and the song becomes more twisted and unnerving. By the time the storm is in full throttle, so is the now dark music, and lightening strikes in the background, briefly lighting up the stage. As the storm wanes, the song slows back down to a soothing rhythm, the wildlife awakens, and the stage is in a peaceful state again.

Listen or Download the Song Here

Those are some nice fields you got there, I but think Norfair would be better as a Ridley's field than Artifact Temple because they could use dark aether or something to represent the prime series and Dark Samus.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
magmor caverns, or phenandra drifts. I'd love to see a phenandra drifts level. Brinstar will probably return since it was in both melee and the first one

Zoinkslls

Smash Apprentice
How about the very first place you see in Metroid 1? (I'm talking about the title screen) There'd be hazards such as metroids and other enemies from the series. And it would be a flat area, with a NES feeling to it, maybe, just maybe.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Norfair, the Mother Brain's room, and a reworked Brinstar Depths would be sweet. Just no Dark Aether or Tallon Overworld levels please.
Awww, why not?? I really want a Dark Aether stage. I'm really hoping for some good Metroid stages, though, because I've hated every Metroid stage their has ever been...

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
NOrfair would be nice, along with phendrana drifts, anything new would be interesting.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Someone also came up with a Phazon Mines stage...

Its phazon mines form MP! Enjoy (BTW I can do better than this, its just that I did it in a rush cause I have to go)

its a medium sized stage, with a decent amount of hazards. those boxes break if they revieve lots of damage, releaseng deadly phazon with an explosion!

to the left is a phazon pit, giving 3 percent damage per second if you come in contact with it.

Theres a cliff to the right, in the dark, watch out for it!

there is a turret on the top right corner of the stage, that shoots lasers anytime during the game, though not that often

and finally you notice that door on the top left? maybe your lucky enough to have a space pirate appear and mess the battle up!

hope you guys and gals like it!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Because the Prime series is overrated and I don't want it overshadowing any classic Metroid stages.
I don't think it's overrated, but I do find it irritating that people play it only without any background knowledge of the other games. (Hence the "Ridley is too big" people...) It's a fantastic 3d rendering of the Metroid games.

You're just like those people who hate OoT but love LttP. I enjoy all of them, as they each have their different appeals.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I don't think it's overrated, but I do find it irritating that people play it only without any background knowledge of the other games. (Hence the "Ridley is too big" people...) It's a fantastic 3d rendering of the Metroid games.

You're just like those people who hate OoT but love LttP. I enjoy all of them, as they each have their different appeals.
That's one of the reasons I don't like the Prime games. The other is that it really isn't Metroid at all. Besides the fact that you play as Samus. There's a huge difference between the Prime series and the 2D Metroids, to the point that it seperates the fans of the franchise into two groups: the hardcore fans who enjoy the classic Metroid games, and those new to the franchise who like the Prime series and nothing else. I don't care, I'm just tired of hearing everyone say there a Metroid fan and know everything about the games, yet they've only ever played Prime. I'm actually glad Japan hates that sub series. It means less of its crap in Brawl.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
That's one of the reasons I don't like the Prime games. The other is that it really isn't Metroid at all. Besides the fact that you play as Samus. There's a huge difference between the Prime series and the 2D Metroids, to the point that it seperates the fans of the franchise into two groups: the hardcore fans who enjoy the classic Metroid games, and those new to the franchise who like the Prime series and nothing else. I don't care, I'm just tired of hearing everyone say there a Metroid fan and know everything about the games, yet they've only ever played Prime. I'm actually glad Japan hates that sub series. It means less of its crap in Brawl.
I'll agree to that. But I still do enjoy them as they have kind of a fresh feel. I like games being true to their style, but I don't mind a little deviation from the original formula...just nothing like SF Adventures >_<.

Anyway, I may have played each Prime game 2 or 3 times, but I've probably beaten Zero Mission and Fusion 5-8 times each.

Dead Wire

Smash Cadet
I live in a place called socorro which in spanish
Sanctuary Fortress Sanctuary entrance

On Echoes when you go to Sanctuary Fortress the draw bridge that takes you from the mountain peak to the floating fortress above Space pirates taken cover on the other side of the bridge behind some crates the captain yells at one of his first mates to turn on his jetpack get around her to get a better shot in his alian language Samus not understanding see's a pirate jump to his death below to the light city he turns on his pack not knowing Samus has a clear shot at his heart the plasma goes threw him blows up the jet pack causeing it to rain green data woah :psycho: sorry I kind of lost myself I kind of got in to it everybody would be fighting on the bridge and the occasional pirate swoop's in shooting everybody thats about it

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
I'd like Phazon Mines, Dark Aether, Phendrana Drifts, Tourian, or Norfair. Especially Tourian.

Super Mario Universe

Smash Rookie
I love the Phazon Mines stage that somebody made in Photoshop (I think).. It looked really good and was original.

But for my suggestion, I would like something from Corruption to make it in. Maybe one from each Prime game? Might make a stage when I have more time and can find a suitable image.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Oh wow...I could rant forever since I'm a HUGE Metroid fan of both the 2D and 3D series (hence the username) although I play Peach...ANYWAYS, on topic...

The Artifact Temple from Prime, as previously mentioned would be great, though I don't see much coming out of it than just jumping on top of the pillars...

Aether and Dark Aether from Echoes would be great. They could be the same stage, just called Aether, and they could somehow work in portals or Dark Aether...

Corruption will likely be released before Brawl, meaning that any places in that game could end up in Brawl.

The research station in Metroid Fusion had 6 areas: Regular [SR388], Water, Fire, Night, Ice, and Forest. That's pretty diverse! The trouble is getting there though since you have to do it by elevator in the game...

Phazon Mines, which I didn't think of, but got off of the grim lizard's/alphalink's post. That's genius. You could even get hurt by setting foot in Phazon.

That's just SOME ideas...the old games have much to offer as well...the modernized version of the first Metroid (Zero Mission) could be used as an "old" game.

Silent_Jester

Smash Journeyman
Amongest the darkest shadows everywhere and anywhe
I think that Phazon Mines stage from earlier would be perfect.

About the Metroid fans being split up into different groups. Im a modern gamer, I haven't played very many old games. But the original Metroid. Its incredible, it wasn't just the first game I every played. Its the best. I still mess around with it today, and luckly I found the GBA version so I can play it on trips. I've loved every Metroid game i've ever played. Im a fan of the primes, but the original Metroid is still the best.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind the Chozo temple where Samus fought Ridley, or Aether (Which I guess would switch)

I guess though that some would want a more classic Metroid stage...possibly the space station from Fusion? (Or NOrfair as the Ridley stage instead of the Chozo temple)

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza

Grim, only Chuck Norris could have said that better than you just did. As for that post below yours, go crawl into a hole and die somewhere. Please.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm alone in this, but Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is my favorite Metroid. (So far. I have have high hopes for Prime 3.) I think an Aether stage that shifts between the light and dark worlds would be unspeakably awesome. Throw in a Chozo Ruins stage to represent Prime 1, and Sakurai will surely appease all us Metroid PRIME fans.

(Sorry Gypsy, but I'm of the opinion that the jump to 3-D was the best thing to ever happen to the adventure genre - and you can't find a better 3-D adventure than the Prime games.)

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Dam Prime fans.... *grumble*

Grim, only Chuck Norris could have said that better than you just did. As for that post below yours, go crawl into a hole and die somewhere. Please.
And that was mean. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I personally don't care for the Prime games. If you actually read the previous posts, you would see that Grim practically asked me why I didn't like them, and I explained my reasoning. I did not just blatantly come out and say "Pr1|\/|3 !5 teh sUxX0r$!!!" There's no need to be an azzhole and make comments like the one you just did. If anyone needs to crawl in a corner and die, it is you sir, as you are a douche bag. And the world would be a much better place with one less douche bag in it.

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i was thinking Norfair and the artifact temple also...

But the Norfair stage would have to be alot more detailed and very different to what we see in the game... it couldnt be like Ridley's lair.. it would have rising lava of course.. and a central platform.... perhaps more flimsy than the smashbros and smashbrosmelee chunky pieces of rock..

Also on the artifact temple stage.. the artifacts couldnt ALL be cleared... leave a few there.. and when they are destroyed [ like that of the statues in the casle siege stage ] the lazer beams [ like in the game ] attack the people who demolished them.... and seeing as though how they are so close together and difficult to fight around without smashing into one... it would make for a very intiresting stage hehe ^_^

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I think Norfair would definitely be a good choice for a Metroid stage. I'd also like to see something in to represent the Prime games (which are awesome... how could you not like them?). Maybe an Aether/Dark Aether stage. I personally don't think Artifact Temple would be that interesting of a stage, but maybe I'm not looking at it the right way. I also think the Phazon Mines would be a good stage.

By the way, I've played all the Metroids ('cept for Super Metroid - I can't find it anywhere) ( I also have Prime 3 on preorder), and I think that Prime 1 is the best (but they're all awesome).

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
While I agree partly, I'd argue that the Prime series is alot like the classics. I have to say that it follows the formula and mechanics of the classics almost to a tee. The only difference to me is a different perspective. Japan just doesn't like FPS' in general, as a side note.

I say yes to Phazon Mines; perfect representation of current Metroid titles, and an epic/dangerous place to fight, with potentially good music.

Another REALLY great place would be the Chozo Ruins. There's alot they could do with that; destructable statues, floating platforms, and potentially Ridley flying through as an environmental.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Another REALLY great place would be the Chozo Ruins. There's alot they could do with that; destructable statues, floating platforms, and potentially Ridley flying through as an environmental.
Chozo Ruins would be pretty cool, but not with Ridley as a stage hazard, because he will most likely be a playable character.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
I have my doubts if they'll actually let you use Ridley. Kraid, however, could be worked into one of the stages like last time (just not in a ******** rotating rock with lava at the bottom way.)

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm sorry... I have no imagination when it comes to metroid. All I can think of is lava. And destroying things on the stage... which has been brutally overused on Metroid stages.

I'm going for Chozo Ruins, since Zamus is in-game.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd love to see a map based off of Metroid Prime, and a map based off of Super that isn't set in a lava-filled cave.

On a side note, Super was the first Metroid game I played, and I definitely love it as my second-favorite Metroid game, but Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I like both the Super and Prime styles of gameplay, but I never really liked either of the first two titles.

Shuma

Smash Hero
An Aether Map would be awesome, constantly changing beetween Dark and Light in the place where you fought Dark Samus for the last time.

Also... Tourian.

Top Bottom