• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Street Fighter players think about Melee.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
hmm.. A lot of SF players irritate me. From my experience with them, they dislike the concept of DI...
They also call it a kiddy game, which annoys me a bit, but not enough to get mad.
Wow ... you obstruct my construct right their.

It depends on who your talking to. Half of the community hates out community while the other half seems to respect us. Now that we will be having a Street Fighter AE Event for Apex 2012, the SF ratio (in terms of liking our community) is 60:40.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
If it helps any, SRK seems to be getting a bit more tolerant of Smash (or at least Brawl) based on the relative (and I do mean relative) lack of trolls on its "MK is banned" news item (and a few trolls were specifically Brawl haters, even some of those put in a good word for Melee).

Just felt the need to chime in.
Most of the intelligent high level SF/Marvel players have a high respect for Melee and know the skill it takes to play the game well at a high level. I'm not sure top SF players thoughts on Brawl but I'm just going to take a guess that they don't like it as much.

Random SRK folk are usually pretty good at differentiating too.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well there's a fighting game club at my college and a smash club. They recently said they can beat us in a crew battle. Cyrain is in our club. >_>;

Alukard

Smash Hero
Lol maybe you should watch Dieminion camp to victory. Your logic is not very good Alu.. sorry.. In every fighting game you try to find openings in your opponents play. You can't change someone's playstyle because that's how they think. I think you just like to press buttons and hope it hits lol. Mashing is fun.
definitely not the case ... camping ni sf is different when u get backed into a corner u are much more limited in terms of defense and options ...

when u get backed up to the ledge in smash u get invincibility ... thats really my gripe ... he is giving stage control up but get rewarded ... i dislike that too much ... especially the way players just abusing it is stupid and kills the game for me. its pretty stupid.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
definitely not the case ... camping ni sf is different when u get backed into a corner u are much more limited in terms of defense and options ...

when u get backed up to the ledge in smash u get invincibility ... thats really my gripe ... he is giving stage control up but get rewarded ... i dislike that too much ... especially the way players just abusing it is stupid and kills the game for me. its pretty stupid.
Not really because unless you have the life lead you can camp invincibility on the edge all you want but that won't matter. That really more than anything is just part of how Melee is a different type of game/fighter. Usually for me at most I'll use the edge for wearing out my opponent's invincibility when they come back from a fresh stock. Even so you're risking being on the edge, even Sheik has that risk.

And camping in SF isn't JUST defined by being in the corner whether you pushed yourself there or someone else did. You can camp midscreen and etc.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

But then how many people actually camp like that? There's only a handful of players but I guess your region is more plagued by that.. =/

Alukard

Smash Hero
Not really because unless you have the life lead you can camp invincibility on the edge all you want but that won't matter. That really more than anything is just part of how Melee is a different type of game/fighter. Usually for me at most I'll use the edge for wearing out my opponent's invincibility when they come back from a fresh stock. Even so you're risking being on the edge, even Sheik has that risk.

And camping in SF isn't JUST defined by being in the corner whether you pushed yourself there or someone else did. You can camp midscreen and etc.
i'm aware of that ... but i just dont accept the playstyles while these game mechanics exist

But then how many people actually camp like that? There's only a handful of players but I guess your region is more plagued by that.. =/
yea definitely m2gay and even my bro jesus camps me like a *** LOL hax too! dam my region is soooo LAME!

Alukard

Smash Hero
Don't worry, I still charge in with sheik and lose.
its ok when we team we are too dam good ... cuz hell hath no fury like falling off the stage near the most relentless red sheiks of the east LOLOLOLOL

7ak

Smash Journeyman
I saw some vids online of some high level SSF2Turbo matches and started getting into it, even got an arcade stick and it's a lot of fun, I think Melee players would probably like it. I haven't ever played SF4 but to me it looks very much like the Brawl of SF.

When I first saw some SF2Turbo matches I thought it was an extremely boring spam fest, most comments on YouTube are "sonic boom! sonic boom! sonic boom!" or "hadouken hadouken all day" and I kind of agreed with that. Once you start playing though, you realize any poorly timed projectiles will be punished and it takes very good timing to keep track of when to throw one and when to wait.

The main problem with SF2Turbo is that it has many many incredibly cheap things in it which get old quick and can mostly only be escaped with reversals which can be hard. Things like Boxer's 60% Super and throw loops (kind of like chain throws), pretty much everything about Vega, Chun-Li's throws and camping, Dhalsim's camping, are ridiculous. The throwing system is very primitive too, and is especially annoying when you attempt a counter throw and it's 50-50 sometimes on who will get the throw. I also prefer Melee's teching, tech chase, and jab reset mechanics to SF2Turbo's unavoidable knockdown where you can only block, reverse, or try a counter throw.

If you can learn to get around those tactics though, it is a fun game. It's especially heavy on the fake outs and very matchup dependent counters and precise timings. I'd say if you're a Melee player, it would improve your execution, timing, spacing, and mindgames. In some ways, learning all the little matchup tricks is the most fun part of the game which I think makes it more difficult in some ways to learn a new SF character than a Melee one.

The worst problem with SF2Turbo though is probably how much of an *** the average player is online. They are the biggest trashtalkers and whiners I've ever played maybe besides Halo players. Of course there are some nice people too but there are a huge number of babies who spam the cheapest possible tick throws and rage quit.

As for what SF players think of Melee...sounds like it's about 50/50 and probably the more knowledgeable players have respect for it. Having played SF2Turbo for a little while, and Melee for a long time, I'd have to say Melee is definitely the better game but SF2Turbo is a fine game as well. What's interesting to me is how recently shield pressure tactics in Melee have changed and become much more like "meaty" and "safe jumping" attacks in SF. Both games are at the point where differences in literally a couple of frames have a huge impact on the outcome of an approach or shield, etc.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I introduced competitive melee to a SSF4 player at school the other day. The first thing I showed him was the Armada Movie. He said he wants to take up Melee and use Fox as his main.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Most people I know play both. But for those who don't they either don't really mind it, or think Smash as a whole is crap (psh noobs I know).

Top Bottom