• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What tier do you think Sheik deserves?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think Low tier.

I doubt the SBR will count S/Z as one character on the list. Ohwelll.
It doesn't matter, pretty much every character that will be on the low tier list gets completely dominated by Sheik(Falcon,Ganondorf). She completely outclasses the lower tier characters, like it was said earlier in the thread, the only thing that keeps her from being higher than middle tier is her difficulty getting ko's.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
If glitches are allowed i would say bottom of high because you could chain jacket them as an edgeguard. But without that i would have to agree with most of the people and say mid tier

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Edgeguarding with the chain isn't that helpful in Brawl, for me at least. Even with the glitch.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Sheik alone is about mid-mid tier. The difficulty in landing the KO moves (and not having too many easy ones to land) won't allow her to get up high by herself. She has a good "combo" ability with her tilts and F-Air, and her grabs are above average with their potential to setup.

Some notable characteristics about Sheik's game is her good grab range and fast grab animation, flexibility in edge-guarding, having a quick long ranged tether, amazing ground speed, and a very high second jump. These characteristics and her good matchups against most of the suspected lower tier should be able to keep her out of the bottom.

While Sheik has many advanced techs, the only ones that I find to be particularly useful is the Rising Transformation and the DACUS. The other techs such as Vanish Gliding and the Chain Jacket, while useful, are much much more situational. The DACUS alone should notch her up a spot, the rest of the advanced techniques can probably get her up another spot. ==> mid mid-tier

If it was Sheik/Zelda, I'd definitely say low/mid-high tier. Zelda covers Sheik's one glaring weakness and the combination of the two pretty much gives them few highly disadvantageous matchups. Zelda is likely a mid-tier to possibly low-high tier by herself. The combination looks promising, but the fact that Sheik and Zelda both need extensive matchup knowledge to get the most potential out of them will keep some people away from maining them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
IMO sheik's matchups are more important than tier position, because she does well against some notable high tiered characters

snake, falco, wario, ddd

sheik does amazing against them

IMO finding secondaries or mastering zelda is going to help cover other threats like mk, g&w, marth, rob, olimar

who cares about tiers in brawl?! besides MK, i see no reason to worry about tier list

if i had to place her anywhere, it would be mid tier (where half the characters would be anyway)

Wow, glitched chain isn't that good...
superb truth. that move is way overhyped

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A true tier list, when built after the game is figured out to an acceptable level, is based entirely on matchups. None of that subjective "potential" or "good traits" bull****.

Villi

Smash Lord
Wow, glitched chain isn't that good...
I would put the regular short hopped chain slightly above Bowser's fire breath in **** level. You can cause MASSIVE amounts of damage if they don't have the sense to just DI away. It's even worse if they try to roll behind you. Let it loose on the edge or slightly less than rolling distance and you severely limit people's recovery options.

Villi

Smash Lord
Everybody makes mistakes. If they do know how to get around it, it doesn't hurt too much to have tried it once.

Edit: Vs. some characters, I'm pretty sure their only option is to buffer an air dodge from a ledge hop or else wait for their damage counters to build up high enough so they can bounce out of it.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Low mid tier.

Imo,her main weakness is her lack of kill moves,but with her fast running speed,she can run up to them and get in her upsmash(her best killing move imo) quick.

And how shes great at getting damage done,its some-what easy for her to kill.

@choknater,I noticed Sheik does amazing against DeDeDe,but Falco,how?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Sheik can ftilt lock Falco to very high %, enough to ftilt into and kill with usmash. His recovery is also gimpable. The phantasm is somewhat difficult but firebird is easy.

I wouldn't say Sheik does amazing, but she does indeed hold her own.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ten char ten char.

I keep logging in to smashboards at popsofctown's house, and i fill his computer up with cookies and "remember password" tags so that he has to take a bajillion years to log me out and get himself in and post anything. It's a little bit inconsiderate of me, isn't it?

Edit: uhhh, my bad?

P.S. Please don't have an edit conversation with me. >_>

popsofctown

Smash Champion
^^yeah, if you didn't figure it out, that post was mine.

I was going to say that Sheik can hold her own against Falco, but she only holds her own. Her ability to go toe to toe with ROB and Marth are equally remarkable.

One or two of the others were good picks for chars Sheik has significantly good matchups. Dedede destroys many characters, but has trouble with Sheik. Snake is a beast of brawl, but I think he's fighting an uphill battle against Sheik. And wario certainly has it tough, he had it tough before grab-release abuse.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
ROB still annoys me. I always feel at a significant disadvantage as Sheik/ Zelda. More so with Sheik.

Am I missing something? What does Sheik have on ROB?

Charoo

Smash Champion
we should just discus what secondary counters sheik's counter haha (if u want a secondary)

seriously this thread is awesome and all, but it doesn't mean anything at all =_=

-dMT-

Smash Lord
^ I know I was pointing out the obvious, but since I play a lot vs ROB and DK, I honestly feel good about vs Falco matches. Gimping is Sheik's bread and butter as is ftilt locking. Both work on Falco. This just helps Sheik hold her own.

Again the match-up isn't fantastic.

__V

Smash Journeyman
She's a mid-tier character. She combos nicely, and she has a ton of potential. Sadly, there's a lack of interest.

I just play her because she's really fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I hate the smashers' use of the term "potential." They somehow feel it justifies calling a character much better than everyone thinks. Potential doesn't matter one bit if you can't unlock it, though.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@DMT mage: For me it's not what Sheik has so much as what Zelda has. I'm a dual mainer, I play the ROB matchup as Sheik with dress kills. Admittedly, i haven't played a ROB in a while. But as I recall, Zelda had a pretty easy time killing ROB, you can safely put her in for a little racking too. SS fairs and bairs are fairly easy, you can reflect the projectiles if you can predict them, and generally, it just seems that Zelda has a good time fighting ROB. Nair tends to work pretty well for me, as long as i avoid its nair.

we should just discus what secondary counters sheik's counter haha (if u want a secondary)

seriously this thread is awesome and all, but it doesn't mean anything at all =_=
Good secondaries for Sheik, in no particular order, possibly not all the best. Note that my criterion is beating G&W, not MK. No one has 6:4 on MK so you might as well just beat him with Sheik and/or Zelda.

Olimar: he beats up G&W pretty well. Very easy to play. Has a combo game, but it's a different kind of combo game, really.
Marth: Beats up G&W fairly well, helps against Olimar and MK too. Helps against ICs.
Toon Link: Very fun secondary, has actual combos. He has these things called bombs, but i call them combo balls, and i'm addicted to them. Reportedly, he does well against G&W. Seems pretty similar to Sheik, to me. As similar as Brawl characters can get (without sucking against the same flat character)
King Dedede: Everyone's favorite secondary. I dunno how he does against G&W actually, probably not that great. But there's the forbidden 8 or something like that that you can infinite, and you can slaughter DK, and all sorts of other characters that you don't want to play a legit match against.
Snake: Some say he's hard to play but he's not. Knock G&W across the room with his power. The weight difference will be so huge that the G&W would have to systematically dominate you. Learn enough about grenade dropping and spacing and that won't happen.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I hate the smashers' use of the term "potential." They somehow feel it justifies calling a character much better than everyone thinks. Potential doesn't matter one bit if you can't unlock it, though.
Just like all the "potential" that Mewtwo had in Melee that was never discovered.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik is currently one lower than mid-tier, right? I think she'll move up to mid-tier but probably no higher.

Still, I can't wait to see what developments are made in the metagame. This is the first time I get to experience a Smash game evolve competitively from the beginning. I bought Melee the day it came out (which ended up being 2 days after the 'Cube launched for me, not sure about other places), but I didn't know competitive Smash even existed until years later >_>

__V

Smash Journeyman
I was referring to her chain-jacket. If this was mastered, she'd become a much stronger character.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ummm, no. Chain jacket is a zero approach that's easier to learn how to beat than it is to learn how to use.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Just the fact that she does well against the top characters puts her at least in mid tier. I'm excluding MK of course, since everyone is at a disadvantage against him. >_>

Sheik/Zelda is always gonna be higher than Sheik OR Zelda, simply because the player can switch in game OR choose not to. This will place Z/S pretty high IMO. It just takes time for any prominent dual mainers to take the tourney scene by storm.

Buut, this thread is about Sheik's placement. I'll have to say mid. Not that a tier list holds any meaning at this point.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Just the fact that she does well against the top characters puts her at least in mid tier. I'm excluding MK of course, since everyone is at a disadvantage against him. >_>

Sheik/Zelda is always gonna be higher than Sheik OR Zelda, simply because the player can switch in game OR choose not to. This will place Z/S pretty high IMO. It just takes time for any prominent dual mainers to take the tourney scene by storm.

Buut, this thread is about Sheik's placement. I'll have to say mid. Not that a tier list holds any meaning at this point.
Where are the prominent dual mainers?.. I guess any character can get left in the dust if the players don't play it.

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
Where are the prominent dual mainers?.. I guess any character can get left in the dust if the players don't play it.
I main both, but I just came into this so... I think sheik at LEAST should be mid tier, but maybe higher. She is light and lacks a knockout move that kills at low damage, on the other hand she can rack up damage and send her opponets flying just far enough so she can edgehog or edgeguard and watch them fall to their death:psycho:

Top Bottom