• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do about MLG lag?

lain

Smash Master
I definitely feel like the MLG lag is enough to warrant the cg's being markedly different.

Solutions?

No wifi, "play on laggy tv's", or w/e. More relevant information please. Frame data perhaps?

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
For me, a Wi-Fi player with a LCD TV, I don't have any problems with cg'ing on laggy TV's. The timing is the same, only the visual experience is different than usual. I practiced chaingrabs for so long and so consistently that my muscle memory is pretty good. I only need very very few time to get used to a TV.
Altough I have to say that I got problems with no sound and that's a problem of mine. On large tourneys there basically is no sound and yeah... I gotta work on that.

All in all. I don't have any solutions so far than practice chaingrabs a lot :D

edit: I don't play much Wi-Fi anymore since obviously tourneys >>> Wi-Fi

Smoom77

Smash Master
For me, a Wi-Fi player with a LCD TV, I don't have any problems with cg'ing on laggy TV's. The timing is the same, only the visual experience is different than usual. I practiced chaingrabs for so long and so consistently that my muscle memory is pretty good. I only need very very few time to get used to a TV.
Altough I have to say that I got problems with no sound and that's a problem of mine. On large tourneys there basically is no sound and yeah... I gotta work on that.

All in all. I don't have any solutions so far than practice chaingrabs a lot :D

edit: I don't play much Wi-Fi anymore since obviously tourneys >>> Wi-Fi
Quote for truth Lain. Get over the lag or play wifi.

Prawn

Smash Master
lain seriously in my opinion the only smart thing to do is only practice on an identical setup for 2-3 weeks before the tournament

idk if u have the resources to get this(i doubt itd be THAT expensive, and you'd get a nice shiny flatscreen tv for uses other than brawl! lol) but i def think you should because you are obviously capable of making that money back tenfold at MLG

Teh Future

Smash Master
as long as you dont use visual cues the timing shouldn't be different. The problem is because visual cues include when the grab animation ends and when to start the next grab. not really sure how to get around that, but it would definitely help to be able to chaingrab on sdtvs first ;)

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Muscle memory is muscle memory. The only thing it should effect is solo CGs, which you can adjust to during warmups and on the early bad players. It's really not a big deal.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
i was at Play n Trade tourney with ridiculously laggy TVs and i just sat down and practiced for a bit and after like 10 min i could CG just as fine as i normally could

Prawn

Smash Master
iirc meeps argument was SURE you can adjust to the timing most of the time but in high stress situations and hyped matches with people all around the lag just makes it THAT much harder.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I definitely feel like the MLG lag is enough to warrant the cg's being markedly different.

Solutions?

No wifi, "play on laggy tv's", or w/e. More relevant information please. Frame data perhaps?
EA and I are working on a project to help remedy this problem actually outside of just "muscle memory". PM me for more details or someone else fill him in for me.

One of the perks of our skype chat LOL

PS: It involves frame data.

B0NK

Smash Lord
lol i better start using that skype chat again >.<

when it comes to lag I find that auditory cues help more than adjusting to different visual cues. May just be in my head but I can do about 0%-50% with my eyes close on laggy sets, but have to adjust to new visual cues.

Also is there anyway to get past the opponent shaking out easier? I know buffered CG's work but when the opponent isn't a light weight I usually have to wait 'til about 50% to adequately keep them in the CG without them struggling out on a laggy set-up (normal set-ups I can pretty much start at 0%). Maybe I need to learn another CG for mid/heavy weights for laggy set-ups (I know buffered d-throw > d-throw should work, but turning them around when the b-throw is difficult like on snake anything else really can't be buffered unless the opponent is big enough to buffer hobble works....and we know how unreliable that can be >.>)

Prawn

Smash Master
lain aint nevah gettin on no skypez dont be delusional

lain the secret the is to carry around a CRt rtelevion with you on ur backa and plug it in instead of flatscreens OBVIOUSLY SILLY GOOSE

Prawn

Smash Master
jesus christ i posted in every ****ing ice climber thread last night

;_;

i apologize

Jem.

Smash Master
theres a reason halo players buy viewsonics and play on them at home :) (except playing halo on a viewsonic ***** and is the best tv to game on except for the wii, go figure lol)

my suggestion would be find out the model of the MLG tv's and get one, thats all anyone can really say. I personally didn't notice ANY lag whatsoever, and I was one of those guys looking for the lag. But I don't main IC, but Felix said he didnt notice any and he plays diddy, so idk. Maybe mentally you're looking for a way out.

Prawn

Smash Master
jem even 1-3 frames can make a difference because a lot of ics rely on visual cues. Not only will it effect your internal timing but also effect the amount of time it takes you to start the cg equaling more mash-outs

B0NK

Smash Lord
lol @ diddy techniques being compared to IC's CG....I can see his technique being compared to desynchs since that's not really affected by lag, but CGing is a different monster.

Prawn already stated how even the slightest lag affects the CG, so yes you can adjust to the timing (takes some people longer to adjust than others) but as far as I know there is no way to prevent easier mash-outs besides buffering, which sometimes just can't be accomplished depending on the CG due to nana's positioning.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Practice your chain grabs with RUMBLE ON. This makes it so you feel out the timing instead of just using visual cues

Also, I'm pretty sure the higher percentage the lower the grab frame window.

I think at low percents you have like 6 frames to grab you opponent so the 2 to 3 frames aint that bad.

Then at like 100% it lowers to like 3 to 4 frames which makes it a lot harder to use visual cues.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
At the main menu, options-> rumble

Its the vibrations that go through the controller when you do, just about anything. +_+

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Do not play IC's on wifi to practice...the lag isn't as bad at MLG as it is online.

Play plenty of friendlies/get someone to stand there and practice the timing with. The timing is the same, but the visual cues will be slightly different. That's about all you can really do.

Smoom77

Smash Master
If you have a good connection with someone, yes it's about even. Green or blue connection would be about equal.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Buy an MLG TV and component cables LOL

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Learn how to buffer throws better. Lag spikes wont kill you like wifi, so buffering them perfectly means you wont miss.

Meep take the retiring after apex off. I clearly saw you crewfest. :V

Top Bottom