• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHat to do against DK's b-air

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
it makes me be more defensive (somethngim not too good).
That isn't a bad thing, being defensive is something you have to do against large characters. Being aggressive against a dk could end up in you dying much quicker than you should be.

Dk's dair is something that can be easily avoided. Simply if you see the dk jump towards you with his back then simply wait for the animation and powershield it, fair him before the animation comes out. Or wait until the animation is done and fair. If he's full hopping to get the two consecutive bairs in do a short hop uair under him, and start juggling from there.

:l and yea QA thread next time.

-Ran

Smash Master
Bair ...7-16/31...(Has 15 frames of landing lag and auto cancels after landing on frames 1-6 or 31. Does a weak hit on frames 9-16. Catches items on frames 1-5)
A DK that is bairing is the least of your worries. DK is much better on the ground in this match up [significantly.] If Dk is Bairing you, essentially you know that he isn't going to be doing it on a decent within a short hop's range. He's typically going to be doing it while ascending or at the apex of a jump. More so, you'll know it's coming since there's no aerial mix up that he can do. He's either going to Bair, or he isn't.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
So don't give him a chance to do any aerials.
He really only has 2 choices for aerials, and the position you have to be in makes it quite predictable which one he will use if he has to.
If you are above him, hes going to use a Uair. If you are behind him , he's going to use a Bair.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
He really only has 2 choices for aerials, and the position you have to be in makes it quite predictable which one he will use if he has to.
If you are above him, hes going to use a Uair. If you are behind him , he's going to use a Bair.
If your in front of him, he might RAR a Bair too, but that's risky.

Basically shield and punish.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
DK as a character solidly beats Marth like 6-4. He just outranges you and takes forever to die, while killing you early. You have ZERO safe approaches vs. this character. His wall is better than D3's, because he has Dtilt, and less lag on Ftilt, with MORE range on Bair. Fortunately, he doesn't have D3's chaingrab, Dair, or Multi-jumps. Still, he is exceptionally threatening.

EDIT: I forgot to answer the question.

Mix up Walking, Crouching and Shielding

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well spaced aerials/tilts will beat out DK's tilts and bair everytime.

Just because DK outranges you, doesn't mean that Marth doesn't absoloutely destroy it with disjoints that DK cannot compete with.
i.e. Marth can always hit DK in a clash, but DK cannot always hit Marth (assuming appropriate spacing)

It's why Marth ravages DK on stages such as FD.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i got my bets on shaya

cuz i agree with him

and he has pretty pictures of diddy kong

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I'm pretty sure you can get under DK while he is bairing and up smash him, hes really vulnerable underneath him if he goes up too high and marth is fast enough to get under him. He's really slow use your speed to your advantage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Although I don't particularly agree with Pierce on this matchup, I assume he's going to be more convincing.

I'd say Marth has a pretty significant advantage in terms of punish and control options though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DK's back air (rising):

Frames of hit:
7-8 = 19-18 frame advantage
9-16 = 19-12 frame advantage

DK's bair ends frame 31, and auto cancels on frame 30 (lol useless).
In other words Marth can technically always do fair oos to punish dk's bair, but when including dk's retreating that becomes more complicated.

Shield drop Jab will hit further than fair and I don't think will allow DK to bair again to punish it easily.
Also to consider is DK being heavily telegraphed in this situation.
His bair hits frame 7, and if he does one, he only has four options:

1. Bair again: +7 on any advantage
2. Fast fall: potential lag from non-ac'd bair; not sure of how much landing lag his bair has, but if he does land after its over add +4? i believe.
3. Air dodge: +3 (4 frame is invincibility, but if he does this you can fair/hit again before its over.. making it kinda silly)
4. Jump: Fair, nair, up smash, fox trot dancing blades covering his landing, uair, etc etc.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I've always felt that DK vs Marth was even. Marth definately controls the pace of the match and has superior mix-ups. I personally think that a lot of Marth's just play a certain way that makes them have trouble vs DK (I'm not saying they don't know the MU).

Anyways DK's Bair functions as an aerial deterrent in the MU. It has better reach than your Fair so it makes you want to Fair early to try and hit DK's leg. If he waits a bit you just hit air and get a foot to the face so it's just all about getting a feel for when they will try to Bair. If he spaces them correctly they are safe, but that safety comes at the price of being somewhat predictable (not that many safe ways to use Bair) so if you look out for that you should be fine (since whoever you are playing spams them). I think Marth being aggresive is the best way to fight vs. DK so don't let the Bair spam scare you into turtling.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I find playing over aggressive against DK often results in a 10 frame dsmash killing you.

And I hate 10 frame dsmashes.
That kill you.
Lol it works for my friend Nabil. You remember him from Genesis right (I doubt you remember me)? He really knows the DK MU and his style seems to work well vs DK (pretty unorthodox). He's beaten M7H using Marth (at the tourney on 12/27 mikeHaze lost to his DK with Marth in the one round he was Marth).

Once you get the spacing down, DK's Dsmash becomes a liability tbh. I only use it to punish Fsmash or poor DB attempts. A blocked/whiffed Dsmash leads to either tipper Fsmash or DB combo to edge guard attempt or juggle.

Albert.

Smash Master
Do you know what's really effective against DK's Bair?

Character selection screen> take counter off of Marth and put it on King DeDeDe> Grab alot

I mean, fvck. lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lol it works for my friend Nabil. You remember him from Genesis right (I doubt you remember me)? He really knows the DK MU and his style seems to work well vs DK (pretty unorthodox). He's beaten M7H using Marth (at the tourney on 12/27 mikeHaze lost to his DK with Marth in the one round he was Marth).

Once you get the spacing down, DK's Dsmash becomes a liability tbh. I only use it to punish Fsmash or poor DB attempts. A blocked/whiffed Dsmash leads to either tipper Fsmash or DB combo to edge guard attempt or juggle.
I believe we played a friendly set on the morning of the second day.
I won the first one, then you won the next two.
I believe I tripped into a kill move once each match :p
I hope that was you >.< There was another DK I played in just one match on the first day of genesis, but I don't recall getting his name.

And yeah I remember Nabil.
I do agree that being aggressive works because it really stops DK from ... moving.
But one slip up in spacing or a cross over, can easily result in death. And of course DK's range makes landing with Marth often complicated.

Top Bottom