• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to work on after mastering Pikas Moveset

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
it is soooo important that you react to your opponent rather than saying im gonna this and this and not try this. thats where your mindset is wrong. this is a game of reaction. if you react to opponent and take all his mistakes and punish the mistakes rather than try to land kill moves at innapropriate times you are gonna have a much easier time.
This is a bit misleading, and I disagree with Brawl being a game of reaction.

Yes, you should react to your opponent in some cases, but Brawl is a mix of reaction + prediction. Reacting all the time puts you on the proverbial back foot and can lead to overly defensive, slow gameplay. If you play solely on reaction, your playstyle will be easily overwhelmed by a good pressure game, and you'll also lack one yourself.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a game plan in the back of your mind..... just be flexible and able to adapt if you're not in the position to make it happen. Loose planning is fine; singlemindedness is what will get you in trouble.

Roller

Smash Legend
I think gallax's post may have gotten a little lost in translation. I think he would agree with what you 2 (ESAM & KayLo!) are saying. By reacting to an opponent I don't think he means simply wait for them to do something, then do something that beats it in "reaction" to it. I think he is trying to say to learn their strategies and habits, and react to them by switching up your gameplay to one which should trump theirs, which is what I think KayLo! was trying to say. Basically,, learn what they do in various situations, then you can predict their movements/attacks and punish their plan. As ESAM put, "reading" them.

However I believe there to be 2 basic approaches to brawl. The method just described (reading your opponent) and being unpredictable, constantly changing things up so that your opponent can't get a good read on you. This is why Anther is so good at the game. Half the stuff he does is completely out of the blue, and most other pikas would never try it. Thus his opponents have no way of knowing what he will think of next.

It is verrrry difficult to utilize both methods of playing at the same time. I think Anther may be best at it. Not even m2k really plays both. He plays safely and reads opponents. Forsaking unpredictability. So I'd suggest trying for primarily focusing on one or the other.

altairian

Smash Lord
So, driving back from the fest we went to yesterday, I was talking to Snakeee about the next tourney we're going to and my concerns with how well I'll do. It led to a discussion on how psychological brawl is, and your mindset (confidence, staying positive after losing stocks/games) and your ability to read opponents can be the difference between winning and losing.

It sounds so obvious when you just say it like that, but some people ignore the pyschological aspects of the game and focus on things like tech skills (granted brawl doesn't have a ton of this) or just tier ***** and expect that to win games for them. You really need to make sure you stop and reflect on WHY you are losing. And don't just think about characters and moves and spacing, figure out what you were thinking during the match, how you felt after losing stocks, after losing a game. And WORK on it.

Look at the best players in the world, they aren't winning because they out-tech-skill people. Even M2K drops games to players other than Ally and ADHD, but he always seems to make it to the finals because he has one of the best psychological games out there.

tl;dr: respect the psychological aspects of this game, and work on them!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thinking about adding this to the directory..... maybe I'll make a section for good article threads.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I think gallax's post may have gotten a little lost in translation. I think he would agree with what you 2 (ESAM & KayLo!) are saying. By reacting to an opponent I don't think he means simply wait for them to do something, then do something that beats it in "reaction" to it. I think he is trying to say to learn their strategies and habits, and react to them by switching up your gameplay to one which should trump theirs, which is what I think KayLo! was trying to say. Basically,, learn what they do in various situations, then you can predict their movements/attacks and punish their plan. As ESAM put, "reading" them.

However I believe there to be 2 basic approaches to brawl. The method just described (reading your opponent) and being unpredictable, constantly changing things up so that your opponent can't get a good read on you. This is why Anther is so good at the game. Half the stuff he does is completely out of the blue, and most other pikas would never try it. Thus his opponents have no way of knowing what he will think of next.

It is verrrry difficult to utilize both methods of playing at the same time. I think Anther may be best at it. Not even m2k really plays both. He plays safely and reads opponents. Forsaking unpredictability. So I'd suggest trying for primarily focusing on one or the other.
M2K doesn't need to play both of these styles of approaching, mk doesn't need to mix up his game if he's playing smart =P.

But kudos to gallax for this guide. Reading article-like reminders like this (especially when they're focusing around our character) is always great to hammer things like gtfo the spotdoge battle in our minds. Good ****!

gallax

Smash Hero
haha yeah it was a little lost in translation. but basically all i was trying to say was that you can u need to learn to reat to your opponent. and by react i mean what u do depends on what ur opponent does, instead of just throwing moves out. i didnt mean react as in someone punches in front of your face and you blink react haha.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Gonna add this to the directory when I get a chance..... we definitely need a section for article threads like these.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Milkncookies, I know you're new and all, but you need to stop posting in old threads.

Oh and welcome to the boards! :)
:pika:

Fera

Smash Rookie
So, I decided to start posting here on boards.

I started pikachu about 1 month ago (Ness/Wario player before, but Wario gameplay didn't catch on me, and started to see how flawed Ness game was) and I'm trying to improve above simple character control.

I can do really well with Tjolting, got the timming to the CG's and stopped depending on them, managed to start using slam as a mind game now and them, but I really can't get the hang of the crossover thing.

Maybe I just can't get the hang on character variety: my state (Rio de Janeiro) has players for a LOT of characters (Our top 3 consist of a Peach, a Wolf/ZSS/Peach and a Diddy mains) since we don't have many players for each character.

There's a national tournament comming at 13,14 & 15 so I really need improvement.

Any advices on crossovering? (start thinking I said to much for a simple question...)

EDIT: Ops, sorry, really didn't see k prime post >_<

D

Deleted member

I found this advice really useful, definitely going to add this stuff to my game. I make a lot of the mistakes mentioned lol. Thank you so much!

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
I have a lot more to learn about brawl and pika but this guide should be helpful for me to start predicting moves and learning to not get into punishable habits.

Top Bottom