• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What will make the Wii U version a must-buy?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere; I didn't see a similar topic and I was just wondering what people were speculating.

With the 3DS version of Smash Bros. coming out months before the Wii U version regardless of territory, and a significantly larger amount of people owning a 3DS as opposed to a Wii U, what's going to make the Wii U version of Smash Bros. a must-buy?

It's no secret that Nintendo needs Smash Bros. to sell Wii U systems - Mario Kart has helped the system to gain ground, but it doesn't seem to be enough. However, the only way that the two games connect (that we've seen so far) is that custom characters can be transferred from one version to another, and the 3DS can be used as a controller. If people already have the 3DS version (which is cheaper and available for a platform that people are more likely to already have), there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for most 3DS owners to get the Wii U version (and the Wii U) - the only differences that we have so far are better graphics for the Wii U version, different stages and trophies, and different modes (though none have been revealed for the Wii U version so far), as well as a less expensive option for local multiplayer.

I just want to know what people think - what can Nintendo do to convince people to get the Wii U version when the 3DS version would already be available for a cheaper price? I realize for a lot of people, a new Smash Bros. on a home console is enough of a reason, but for most consumers, it doesn't seem like it would be enough when the 3DS version appears to be an alternative.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I'm hoping we get 50 stages as opposed to 3DS' 35.
I'm hoping our game modes have deep replay value, maybe online.
I'm sure the online is going to be crisp and insanely fun.

With as little as we know as compared to as much as we know about the handheld version, I'm sure the Wii U version is going to have a lot more... but of course... I don't know.

The roster is obviously the biggest punch because we already know it's the same, so 51 right now is all the Wii U will have when we get it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The fact that it's Smash on a console should be enough for most people. Aside from that, maybe Adventure Mode or something of that sort.

Senario

Smash Ace
Make the game more cohesive to competitive play. A lot of characters simply lack followups to their moves and some only have very specific ones they can do, plus it is relatively harder to do a simple combo because either they get knocked too far or they get out of it before you hit them. This is important because it makes moves stale (and stale move negation is still as strong as it was in brawl) and when you only have specific followups it becomes difficult to get a KO because your KO move has staled, it was the only one you could feasably combo into. Melee and Project M are successful because you have a load of different options for combos and aren't limited to specific followups. If I want to ftilt SHFFL nair run forward back air I can do that (likely). But smash 4 sees people use the same followup because other followups connect very rarely with improper DI. A lot of combos really are tilts and that kinda sucks to me. Some characters like Falco have near zero combo potential.

Now this doesn't mean there are no combos, Mario has some good ones, sheik too, but I feel combos should be more important and accessible for everybody to do.

Blast Zones are so far out you really don't die all that often below 150% and most everybody's recovery is pretty much free with the distance they cover and how the edge works.

Mobility: Dash dancing, that is all.

That is what would make it good for me for the Wii U version. The majority of your casual fanbase is going to get it on 3ds, anybody who gets it on both is either a superfan or already had a wii U and is a huge fan. Considering the hardcore installbase of the wii U I think it is only fair that the version is geared towards that group. I really doubt your regular kid/parent/consumer will buy the same game in HD one or two months after they got the game on 3ds (which is cheaper).

R0Y

Smash Master
Beong superior in every single way except roster size. I do think that a lot of more casual players won't care though. The state of home consoles in Japan and the extra money in two versions obviously made them do it, but the Wii U and Wii U version's sales will suffer because of their decision.

I'm part of the problem in buying both versions instead of just Wii U but Nintendo got me with the earlier release date. Prior to that i was going to go Wii U only.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I'm the only person I know (my age...) that owns a 3DS, so I can't play the game with my friends. Having the game on something that requires only one system and one copy for multiplayer kind of fixes that. Not to mention Smash is kind of an awesome party game, so...

I think the question answers itself, it's on Wii U and it's Smash Bros., no more is necessary.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Reasons to buy Smash Bros. for Wii U:
  • Possibly more stages
  • Gamecube Controller Support
  • 1080p HD, silky smooth 60 FPS
  • Better Amiibo Support
  • You can actually see your characters.
  • Wii Fit Trainer (she purdy)

R0Y

Smash Master
Reasons to buy Smash Bros. for Wii U:
  • Possibly more stages
  • Gamecube Controller Support
  • 1080p HD, silky smooth 60 FPS
  • Better Amiibo Support
  • You can actually see your characters.
  • Wii Fit Trainer (she purdy)
  • Actual Adventure Mode
  • Surround sound capability
  • Loads of music options
  • 1 copy for up to 4 local play
  • Traditonal home console game designed for home console screens. No trouble making out characters.
  • Loads of other control options
  • Second stick doesn't require buying a whole new system.
  • Palutena's taunt in HD...you know the one

Rattlehead2Deth

Smash Rookie
The above mentioned reasons are plenty for me personally to buy the game, and depending on release date, almost enough to skip on the 3ds version (unless the character transfer thing is real) but I don't think that's reason enough for most people, which is what Nintendo needs to happen. Better graphics, different stages are in no way enough to justify most people buying a Wii U and a copy of a game they probably bought 6-8 weeks earlier...

So yeah, I think they need something more. A mode that completely surpasses Smash Run, which to me, seems boring and a dumb grind to get custom move stuff. Advances on characters would be a good move, and it's not nearly as consumer unfriendly as some people seem to think. Giving the rest of the world limited access to a demo of a game Japan has in full is much worse, really. I think it has to be characters that either transfer, or are dlc later for the 3ds version. Characters are what these games are all about really. The entire hype train of this game has been on reveal trailers, so they know this is the focal point in selling these games. If not the transfer / dlc thing, maybe they plan to patch characters in when the Wii U version comes out to attempt and retain some secrets. It's pretty lame that we know the entire cast in the preeminent version before we even know when it's coming out...

If I had to pick one thing, it would be playable Ridley! I'm sure he's just a lame boss, but.. that is the one thing that would most make me want to get it immediately.

Last edited:

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
Whatever's replacing Smash Run mode, HD graphics, a screen more than a couple inches across and content that sees fit to not utterly stiff core franchises like DK and Metroid. That last one, unfortunately, is probably wishful thinking.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
  • Palutena's taunt in HD...you know the one
and for the ladies:

But seriously even though the 3ds version is going to sell better (portable titles tend to always sell better to the console counterpart regardless of quality. Ex: Sonis Lost world) I think it's pretty apparent that the definitive version of smash is the Wii U version, which is also probably the main reason the 3ds version is coming first.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Not really answering the question since no one really understands Nintendo's game plan with the release dates, but I'm guessing that if someone has neither a 3DS or Wii U and they're dying to get Smash 4 that they'll go with the Wii U version. At least, that's what I'd do. A lot of the audience already has the 3DS and will get that version, which is the subject of the OP
The fact that it's Smash on a console should be enough for most people. Aside from that, maybe Adventure Mode or something of that sort.
This. I'm guessing there's going to be some sort of Adventure Mode for the Wii U.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Gah! I don't know if I should get the 3ds version first, or wait to get both versions later. :/ I'm worried that I'll get too spoiled by the roster being the same after playing the game for a couple months, and I'll lose interest in the Wii U version, which was the version I actually wanted more.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Gah! I don't know if I should get the 3ds version first, or wait to get both versions later. :/ I'm worried that I'll get too spoiled by the roster being the same after playing the game for a couple months, and I'll lose interest in the Wii U version, which was the version I actually wanted more.
This is exactly why they will be adding more characters when the Wii U version comes out. :)

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
So, you think I should just splurge and buy the 3ds version? I've been hyped for wii u smash for a while, and I don't want it to die with the 3ds version. :p
Your choice, personally i think the 3ds is just a tease of the Wii U version, so it won't ruin it. However, its not going to make the Wii U version more fun.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You can actually see characters and the controller won't break as easily.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
The Wii U game is going to be the definitive version. I'm sure they'll be many fans of the 3DS version but I imagine the lifespan of the Wii U game is going to be a lot longer.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Another thing:

3DS: Circle Pad breaks after just a few uses
Wii U: CONTROLLER NEVER BREAKS UNLESS YOU DO BAD STUFF TO IT >:(

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
So you think the 3ds version will detract from the wii u version?
I wouldn't say detract, but I think it could spoil some of the Excitement you get the first time you play the Wii U version because you will have an idea of what to expect.

With that said, I will be getting the 3DS version to hold me off until the Wii U version comes out.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
@ Joeyd123 Ah okay, I got it. Yeah, I'm really off and on right now. Either way, I'll be waiting until Christmas for Smash Wii U due to college exams, and I'm sure the wait will make it all the sweeter. Nintendo HAS to know that people could get Smash fatigue after the 3ds version releases. They must have something up their sleeves to make the Wii U version REALLY WORTH IT, especially for people that have already played the 3ds version for a long time.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Been wondering that myself, actually. I was always going to get both, but the character reveals hit pretty hard, and now I'm wondering why exactly I want to get the 3DS version. If the WiiU is coming out in a few more monts, particulary now that there's a demo on the way, I don't really see the point anymore of getting a version I'm not really going to play that much. I really hope that we learn soon if there will be a bonus for buying both, because otherwise I won't be getting the handheld.

I bet there's something they're planning since this game and MK8 are supposed to be the saviors of the WiiU, so we'll find out. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if the rumors of Mewtwo/Ridley as connection bonuses are true, I will buy both games that day.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Other than the dozens of advantages it gets from the mere fact it's on a console, the console version will have plenty of subtle differences in gameplay. QAC cancel for Pikachu for example is out of the 3DS version, but was spotted in the Wii U one. The blast zones could be better set up, the engine might be different, the online could be (even) better, etc.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Other than the dozens of advantages it gets from the mere fact it's on a console, the console version will have plenty of subtle differences in gameplay. QAC cancel for Pikachu for example is out of the 3DS version, but was spotted in the Wii U one. The blast zones could be better set up, the engine might be different, the online could be (even) better, etc.
And what are those advantages? When I made this thread, I was thinking more about the general consumer, who wouldn't really care about things like QAC cancels or blast zones. This game is expected/needed to make people buy Wii U systems, after all.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
And what are those advantages? When I made this thread, I was thinking more about the general consumer, who wouldn't really care about things like QAC cancels or blast zones. This game is expected/needed to make people buy Wii U systems, after all.
I didn't want to repeat what was already said before. Just look through the thread, or use common sense and wonder why people would possibly want a console version of a (multiplayer) game over a handheld one.

Top Bottom