• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would SSB be like if Ugrab and Dgrab were in it?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I've been wondering... how MUCH of the ssb metagame and other things in ssb would it change? would it be a GOOD thing? a BAD thing? Would they make combo's longer? Make 0 to death combos more "creative" ?​

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Well...assume the U-throw is like Jigg's F-Throw, and you have a combo starter. As for D-throw...it seems a little silly. No doubt combos would become even more ridiculous than they already are. Grabs are too crazy in this game as they are, with a majority having no cooldown lag for missing and abusable KB from a hit.

In short, the game would become more grab-orientated for more characters than just DK.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
You haven't really given enough detail for people to speculate...what exactly would the grabs be like? If they were more of the same really high knockback, I don't think much would change at all since most characters are already fine with the grabs they have. Now if they tended more towards comboing, then obviously the game would just tilt even farther towards grabbing.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
If uthrow and dthrow were essentially lesser knockback versions of regular throws then they would make throws into ridiculously deadly combo starters at low percents for nearly every character. There is a reason that most throws in this game allow the victim to recover before the thrower can get to them to continue a combo (at least when no walls or the like are involved). Simply look at the exceptions to this rule (Falcon, Jiggles) to get an idea of what happens when the rule is broken.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i don't think it would change much of anything with the Dthrow with the throws being so over powered. but Uthrow would make it easier to kill if thrown at the top of the stage.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Ooo, is anyone else seeing awesome Upthrow chaingrabs on the Hyrule ladder LOL

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
There should exist a "SSB64+" that maked grabs a lot ... less overpowered xD
Uhh, how would you do that?

If you made them like Melee grabs any char would have hilarious grab combos.

Increase the knockback and everyone complains anyways.

Make them like barlw grabs and...then it'd be no fun :(

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LOL ness with weak grabs. Even less ways for him to get the other guy off the edge.

Agree with fireblaster here, Pikas bthrow could have been a bit more nerfed considering all of pikas Ultra abilities.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think that grabs are slightly overpowered indeed, i mean... a lot of noobs and scrubs do grab spam instead of trying combos, thats one of the bad things in the game. Grabs should be less powerful than they are but more powerful than they are in melee

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
ssb64 grabs are awesome, there's a good use for all of them. Too many uses for falcon, even if you use fthrow at high damage you can chase it with a dashpivot to double jump backwards uair.

Meh, comboing and playing in general 64 beats brawl. I really like the sound effects in ssb64, they help you time your combos

No hitstun is bad. Great smash players who win money depend on impossibly good DI, even in ssb64 and especially in melee.

In brawl, DI is easier and is much more exploitable.

Therefore, pro match = 3 lives = 5-9 minutes average maybe? You just can't follow up anything. Why would mew2king playing brawl let you hit him again if he could DI really far away and airdodge all over the place for no reason instead of into the ground.

Also, smash64 is fun for the hilariously easy gimpkills that piss of our friendly neighborhood trolls on EGX.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
People only think they're overpowered because if you could choose to spam only one type of move in SSB64, the grab category would win without a doubt. And since most casual players spam efficient things, grabs became the 'overpowered' thing.

They really aren't overpowered, when you hit even a slightly higher level you notice that B-Throwing from the center of Hyrule isn't going to KO on most characters until about 120%. And so, comboing clicks.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
People only think they're overpowered because if you could choose to spam only one type of move in SSB64, the grab category would win without a doubt. And since most casual players spam efficient things, grabs became the 'overpowered' thing.

They really aren't overpowered, when you hit even a slightly higher level you notice that B-Throwing from the center of Hyrule isn't going to KO on most characters until about 120%. And so, comboing clicks.
Ness grabs link at the edge of dreamland at 30% or 40% --> dead.
The Ness one speaks for itself, its way more powerful than his forward smash attack.
Also the falcon one is very spammable for some gay falcon players

Superstar

Smash Champion
If Ness grabs Link on the edge of any stage then Link deserves to die.

Except barlw's solution was having no hitstun.
If 64 combos neither comboed nor killed, or even helped kill, then it would be like Barwl's. Though with 64's hitstun I can't see that happening unless they have a set knockback. At the least grabs would help edgeguards.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The Ness one speaks for itself, its way more powerful than his forward smash attack.
Eh...Superstar is right, a good Link won't get caught in that.

But yes, Ness and Pika have superpowered back grabs, and Ness's F-Throw is pretty strong too. I forgot to mention those. Seriously, Pika doesn't need his B-throw, give it to Melee Pika :D

Falcon's B-Throw is pretty average. Especially as Falcon isn't as scary an edgeguarder as, say, Kirby or Pika. But his F-Throw is crazy, considering what you can do from it at 0%.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This point is moot. ANYONE can throw link off at 40% and kill him without edgeguarding.

His forward smash is freaking terrible. Ness would be low tier if that was one of his only killing moves (besides Dair->Uair).

Uhh... no comment.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I agree with Fireblaster.

The worst part would be if Ness did it. Ness can't set up grabs too easily. He has some good stuff, but come on. Ness can do much nastier/safer stuff to Link at 30-40% anyways.

Ness's fthrow = bthrow. Apparently the origin is different for each making it so that they don't appear to be the same, but they're close enough.

Also, personally, Falcon is a scarier edgeguarder than Kirby in most situations because of speed alone. Bair, dair, uair *****. Kirby...it's if he's there and just in the right place for dair, dtilt, maybe bair.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I agree that falcon is good at edgeguarding. The difference with kirby is the ridiculous recovery though. Falcon is limited by the fact that he has to be able to get back to the stage during an edgeguard, whereas kirby can fly around everywhere.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I agree that falcon is good at edgeguarding. The difference with kirby is the ridiculous recovery though. Falcon is limited by the fact that he has to be able to get back to the stage during an edgeguard, whereas kirby can fly around everywhere.
Actually falcon has extreme mobility around the edge as long as you read where the opponent will recover too. Falcon can jump out and bair, but I personally like to use the backwards uair thing when I can.

Sure he doesnt have multi jumps but he's faster, if he spots where you're going to recover and it's a good falcon, you'll probably die.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
ness grabs link at 0% and throws...oh what link is dead?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I z cancel everything, online delay is so bad for smash though because of z-cancelling, stupid technique that requires specific timing.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I z cancel everything, online delay is so bad for smash though because of z-cancelling, stupid technique that requires specific timing.
Z-cancelling becomes a reflex :\

I find it hard not to Z-cancel at times. And I find there's actually a surprisingly large window to press Z in.

kit

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't it be cool if you directed grabs up or down or in or out actually... or used a different button for them and you could grab opponents rolling through you? I know op means throws but still wouldn't that be cool?

Top Bottom