• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What you can learn from CPU s..

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
I like this game......

I play it...... alot.

Out of my battles, whether playing online (Many are "Anyone" matches :( Though i actually
don't mind)with friends, or against the A.I., It seems the majority of my matches consist
of fighting the CPU.

My wii is often, NOT wi-fi ready, and i have never been to a tournament in this life,
disregarding that i reside in a area with a seemingly quite large, brawling community.

I seek to better myself, while having general knowledge of the game is good
(SWF, of course), i seek to partake in battle, and a lot of time i'm stuck with no
other options than fighting computer-controlled opponents.

Basically the point of this thread is to discuss what YOU CAN LEARN when fighting cpus,
especially when you have no other player options.

(For reference)The general set-up (by me) of these matches usually consist of:
Stock match
No items
10,7,9,8,13,17,1, 3, and sometimes even 20 or 30 lives (rarely five)
FD, BF, or PT /For stage choice
Level 9 cpus ( *gasp* O.O )

I would consider myself at least decent at the game, and i seem to to capitalize on the
A.I.s' "problem areas" quite well. (Ten stocking with Ike..... :) )

Now,

What you can learn:

First off, these are CPU opponents, ANY and ALL EXPERIENCE you may receive will certainly be
LIMITED, and they will likely run vastly different from human players.

That being said, i believe that you may be able learn from "them," whether or not it is
referring to your play style, and or character choice(Stage choice!).

Some examples of areas where computers excel at:

1.INSANE reaction time
2.Lack of any other thought, emotions and/or fatigue O.O
3.Insurmountability...... -_-

Some examples where "they" fail, worse than Ganon:

1. Crucial lack of SDI
2. Generally poor offstage game
3. Stupidity...... (lack of intellegience, critical thought)
4. Cypher, ZSS........

Cpus usually lack the mental capacity to cg,infinite,(I've seen an ivysuar infinite on DP,
however, lol) utilize most AT's, SDI properly,Stall(Most of the time >: <),Avoid spamming
bad moves, and play correctly, or win.

However, Pikachu seems to know how spam, Lucario seems to know how to camp, and Snake seems
to realize just how effective his tilts are..... (*cough* Sakurai *cough*)

They also seem to enjoy taunting. xD

Some examples of what you can achieve by fighting cpus:

. Buff up your reflexes
.Punish enemy mistakes better(Not so much to get your opponent in the situation,
but somewhat what options you may have when it occurs)
. Mindgames
. And possibly above all else, know how to keep your cool, especially when facing that
annoying yellow rat ;)

Rant..Rant.....

Once again, this thread is about what you can learn from facing cpu opponents,
or just when you feel like ****** the **** of out *insert character here* without making
anyone else cry ;) (Assuming they will at least fight back lol)

Now that that's out of the way,
Discuss!

@Moderators and such: While creating that seemingly pointless wall of text, i fear i may
have entirely lost the point of this thread! If you don't foresee any beneficial
discussion or harmfulness to the community in any way, please lock/close or delete this thread.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like playing level 9 CPUs: I choose to focus on level 6s but anyway

I only have access to playing offline with cpus and it has taught me some defensive techniques I kinda ignored before....

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
It teaches you that CPUs often don't use the character for crap. Example, you can get a level 9 MK CPU to go suicidal by hanging on a ledge for a while, and DDD CPUs never CG, ect...
Facing CPUs mainly lets you see moves of a character you might ignore because they are not played often.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Playing against Cpus does give you some experience in brawl but not much. I see brawl as a battle of wits (mindgames), and thats where cpus fail at.

RichBrown

Smash Master
CPUs are awful for practice. Once you hit a certain skill level you should never ever practice against CPUs. They build bad habits because they essentially react the same to every situation.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Do your best to NOT practice on CPU's because it's easy set them up and abuse thier AI. If you want to get better it's best to face human opponents. However if you can't find anyone to play just fight level 1-3's.

bleyva

Smash Ace
fighting cpus too often will feed the delusion that you are learning and becoming much more skilled than you really are.

and as far as the "With Anyone" battles are concerned; im not sure how much you'll learn by fighting taunt spam and item chasing all day (**** YOU SONIC).

babster80

Smash Rookie
Well at least I sometimes practice on friends. **** CPUs. But maybe one day ill go to a tourney and get pwned :D

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i don't like fighting against cpus
i think that fighting againdt them makes you becoming bad

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
You first should try to invite some friends over and play friendlies with them. If that is not possible just fool around in training mode and practice techniques.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I use to main marth and I tried to backon the bored and a lvl 9 cpu mario FLUDD me. That is why I main Mario now lol

BAMF

Smash Cadet
Well things that u can actually learn is what approaches may work for your character, amongst other things. Have a mirror match of whomever you main with put him to level 9 and watch what types of things he does that work and doesnt work. Nevermind how faulty they are, they can do somethings you might not expect. Or even just set up a CPU only match and watch them.

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
I think the most boring aspect about CPU's is that they'll never learn. I don't know why the CPU always makes Ness/Lucas aim PKT to shoot them completely vertically instead of an angle.

randomness_FTW!

Smash Cadet
I think the most boring aspect about CPU's is that they'll never learn. I don't know why the CPU always makes Ness/Lucas aim PKT to shoot them completely vertically instead of an angle.
I agree, but if we had learning cpu's, people that have a high skill level and fight cpu's a lot would improve their skill even more, or just **** them over. But if a person with not much skill at all dies easily to a "High level" cpu, that cpu might just downgrade to that person's skill level, and unlearn everything it previously learned

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I think one major problem (but not programmer's fault at all) with CPUs is that they don't use the advanced techniques that professional players will use....

I only have access to practising against CPUs so I don't know how to tackle Ice Climber's chain grabs or grenade tricks with Snake....

FastFire

Smash Cadet
I agree, but if we had learning cpu's, people that have a high skill level and fight cpu's a lot would improve their skill even more, or just **** them over. But if a person with not much skill at all dies easily to a "High level" cpu, that cpu might just downgrade to that person's skill level, and unlearn everything it previously learned
It would be great if we had learning cpus though, but like you said their skill could downgrade. I would laugh at a cpu's Ice Climber's chain grab :laugh:

Moozle

Smash Champion
To me computers are only good for teaching the basics. They teach you how to punish and how to change your game when obvious attacks don't work. Once you get a good handle on that, though, computers can't advance any further so you're stuck. Use the Faux Finder!:laugh:

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I found that playing CPUs doesn't help at all. You get bad habits cos you begin to predict what they do and cos they'll most definetly do the same things in each given situation you'll get used to that and when a human player uses the character you practised against you'll try the same things and they most likely not work.

randomness_FTW!

Smash Cadet
CPUs are just plain stupid at any level. Especially captain falcon. Seriously i 3 stocked a level 9 captain falcon in 30 seconds without even having to do anything. He just jumped off the stage when i tried to stage spike him with marth and then he reverse falcon punches and suicides. Then he repeats the cycle.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the same situation as the OP, where I play computers more than I do people and the people I play are very very... scrubyy. So I play level 1-3 computers and well... own them. Thing that I found was : When you play higher level computers, say 7-9, the game doesn't really change that much. They just move and react faster. So the same strats you "get" from 1-3 work at 7-9. So I try to play them only to keep my "hand skill" up like RAR, SH, etc.

Not to steal the thread but: What makes wifi so bad?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say there completely useless. i usually play against a lvl 9 Ganon. easily one of the worst AI. But playing against ganon gauges if what you are doing is punishable. If he hits you regularily, you know you aren't playing safly or smartly. oppose to not getting hit at all. Also in the begging it shows which of your moves are more useful then others.

zeuskees

Smash Rookie
i fight lvl 9 cpus to work on my spacing, stage control, and punishing, ive been fighting them since i got the game and theyve helpd me a lot you just got to see it as practice and not an actual match

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
When you fight against CPUs, they get predictable. Thats when you start to abuse the CPU as you know what It's going to do. However, once you start to play against a person, you will expect your opponent to do this, just like the CPU, but they do something else and that throws your game into confusion.
Point: If you only play CPUs, then you yourself will play like a CPU
CPUs have stupid habits such as always doing a fsmash as you recover.
If you cant play on or off line, Get Some Friends!

Top Bottom