• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
OMG, you haven't just compared today's great update with the Power Rangers? SSBB and the Power Rangers are on the other side of the world..... I utterly, deeply, hate, anything related to the Power Rangers.

On-topic: It is very cool to control giga bowser without AR and he looks even more evil then before, espesially in the third picture.
lol cause power rangers is originally Japanese, and SSBB is being made in japan. so they are related by country. so the makes you a ssb hater T.T jk jk

Yeah it's totally bad *** to control giga bowser but makes me wonder who replaced him as a secret boss.

also you know what would suck? if master hand had a final smash.

Roy Dynasty

Smash Journeyman
You see, you all Finally noticed! I told ya all before, bowsers FF was the transformation. There's a high chance now for Ganondorf's FF to be Ganon (the boar). Just imagine how freaking awesome it would be 2 have a battle between Ganon and Mega Bowser, just epic!
Except Giga Bowser is invincible, and it can be assumed that Ganon would be too, so without an Action Replay to shut that off, the battle would be a boring stalemate. :laugh:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
...Giga bowser......I wonder what would happen if kirby was able to suck him up.......game over Giga Kirby wins

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
Except Giga Bowser is invincible, and it can be assumed that Ganon would be too, so without an Action Replay to shut that off, the battle would be a boring stalemate. :laugh:
Yeah he's invincible for the attacks from tiny chars, but since ganon is big as well, they may create knockback of each other

...Giga bowser......I wonder what would happen if kirby was able to suck him up.......game over Giga Kirby wins
Ever tried on melee? You just can't, that's it... But maybe they've changed it on brawl:D I sure hope so

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
wow, the final smash for bowser right after the confirmation. i think some of the characters in the pics are shi*ing their pants right about now. plus he looks...evil. like the darkest thing on this game so far. gives me another reason why i'll still main bowser

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It seems everyone already forgot that items won't be used in most competitive tourneys.

Link and Kirby's final smash sucks so much compared to the others.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
I realize this is probably a joke, but this update (concerning Bowser's Final Smash) will have no bearing on Bowser's tier position.
I meant it about the overall appearance/updates of Bowser, and what it said about different flavor and characters being different. Hopefully Fox will be down, Bowser will be up.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
YES!!!, Giga is back, the best update so far. Bowser is so cool.

I know you can't be Giga in competitive tourneys, so only in friendy tourneys, but that's ok, because Giga will be too good as a playable character, so they got it right.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Awsome Final Smash, Sakurai keeps getting creative. Giga Bowser looks even awsomer than Bowser, in which Bowser looks pretty awsome to begin with. It looks sweet, and I'm almosst willing to bet Giga Bowser is one of the better Final Smashes in Brawl. Man, even not counting that Giga Bowser Final Smash I have a good feeling that Bowser's ranks on the tiers will increase. Maybe not to the Samus extremes (from worst or 2nd worse out of 12, to like the top ten out of 26), but I'm sure we'll at least see him in the low-mid tiers, and more likely the mid tiers, because it looks like he could very well be a good all around character. :

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I scrolled down and I fell out of my chair due to an awesomeness overdose.

Oh, does this mean characters can transform due to final smashes? Hmmm... wonder what our pal Zamus has to say about that?

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
Seems that everyone forgot that GIGA bowser's playtime is very short. Besides, you can only transform in him once per battle (remember the 'What's a Final Smash?'-update)

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
I scrolled down and I fell out of my chair due to an awesomeness overdose.

Oh, does this mean characters can transform due to final smashes? Hmmm... wonder what our pal Zamus has to say about that?
if youre imlying that Zamus is = giga bowser, youre sorely mistaken. all final smashes so far have had one thing in common: they last a limited time. if samus's final WAS an attack + transformation, how would she go back?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Perhaps hers is solely transformation? It isn't completely out of the question. I am rooting for Zamus being a playable character apart from Samus.

Chill check your pm's

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
i believe that samus' final smash will be called the overload charge shot this would be huge but will make samus lose her suit turning into zamus

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
It seems everyone already forgot that items won't be used in most competitive tourneys.

Link and Kirby's final smash sucks so much compared to the others.
True,but at the same time,its gonna decrease the amount of intrest the game is offering with the items,thus making Smash without final smashes (Melee 2.0) tournment-wise.Majority of the new smashers are eventually gonna turn off the assit thophys and regular items,but nothing I see in final smashes screams out "luck"so far.They can only be used once,most of them I see so far have drawbacks just to state a few things. :)

Holy crap tho,Bowser to Giga!? I didnt see that **** coming at all! Now all Bowser needs is his castle as a stage,with the Mario Bros 3 final boss song(preferably remixed) in the background,then Ill be in heaven for sure. :chuckle: The only other time I can recall them using that song was in Super Mario RPG,and they need to bring that joint back ASAP.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I dunno. Brawl may change how we do tournaments. People still think with the Melee mindset which is a bad idea.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I dunno. Brawl may change how we do tournaments. People still think with the Melee mindset which is a bad idea.

I strongly agree with this.But take note guys,Mario is doing an air dodge,as his hands are in the same position as in Melee in the 2nd screen shot.I dunno if air dodging was confirmed already(sorry about this if it was) but it new to me now.Ill post the screen in a few. :)

Edit:Look at Mario hauling *** :chuckle:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/bowser/bowser_070704b-l.jpg

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Yeah airdodging was already apparent for a while now. In most of the earlier screens Pikachu is airdodging quite a bit and I think in one screen Fox was doing it, I'm not sure.

Though honestly, did any of you really think dodging would be gone? o_O

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
Exactly.

The only reason items were turned off in Melee for tourneys was because of the exploding crates, barrels, and capsules that you couldn't turn off. I mean, imagine your Falcon is at 100%, and you are about to **** your opponent with your knee, and a capsule appears right as you pop your knee out. It explodes. You die, not because of something your opponent did, but because of something completely out of both of your control.

Now, while Pokéballs and other items may contain an element of luck, it's always your choice whether or not the risk of a crap Pokémon is worth going to get the Pokéball. It's not your choice when an exploding capsule appears out of nowhere and screws you. There is a certain strategy you need to adopt when playing with items in the fray—you need to be able to judge when it is appropriate to grab one and use it or whether it's a waste of your time.

Think of the Screw Attack, for example. The edgeguarding opportunities you have with the Screw Attack are some of the best. First, your jump becomes another attack you can use on your opponent, along with aerials and such. Second (and this is where the Screw Attack comes into its own), if you throw it at a recovering opponent and hit them, they perfrom one Screw Attack, then drop like a rock. It saps all their jumps. Think of a Jigglypuff cruising back to FD without a care in the world, since he's got seven jumps and rising pounds. All of a sudden, WHAM! Jiggs is hit with a Screw Attack. Screw Attack wins every time.

I hope people are not constrained to a Melee mentality when Brawl comes out. Items are part of the game. While I recognize the wisdom in turning them off for tourneys in Melee, we may not need to when Brawl comes out.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Exactly.

The only reason items were turned off in Melee for tourneys was because of the exploding crates, barrels, and capsules that you couldn't turn off. I mean, imagine your Falcon is at 100%, and you are about to **** your opponent with your knee, and a capsule appears right as you pop your knee out. It explodes. You die, not because of something your opponent did, but because of something completely out of both of your control.

Now, while Pokéballs and other items may contain an element of luck, it's always your choice whether or not the risk of a crap Pokémon is worth going to get the Pokéball. It's not your choice when an exploding capsule appears out of nowhere and screws you. There is a certain strategy you need to adopt when playing with items in the fray—you need to be able to judge when it is appropriate to grab one and use it or whether it's a waste of your time.

Think of the Screw Attack, for example. The edgeguarding opportunities you have with the Screw Attack are some of the best. First, your jump becomes another attack you can use on your opponent, along with aerials and such. Second (and this is where the Screw Attack comes into its own), if you throw it at a recovering opponent and hit them, they perfrom one Screw Attack, then drop like a rock. It saps all their jumps. Think of a Jigglypuff cruising back to FD without a care in the world, since he's got seven jumps and rising pounds. All of a sudden, WHAM! Jiggs is hit with a Screw Attack. Screw Attack wins every time.

I hope people are not constrained to a Melee mentality when Brawl comes out. Items are part of the game. While I recognize the wisdom in turning them off for tourneys in Melee, we may not need to when Brawl comes out.
I entirely agree with this. I rather enjoyed playing with items, with turning the more obvious ones off. I believe learning how to play with and without items helps. I'll never forget when I first learned how to z grab items in the air, or get down the timing to catch a thrown item. They would still be on if not for the random explosions on my face.

With the exception of items like Starman, Cloaking Device, yadda yadda, none of the items are really unbalanced in my opinion (cept a CPU opponent with a fan, that's just ridiculous).

If the explosion problem is handled, I can go back to playing with items.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Yeah airdodging was already apparent for a while now. In most of the earlier screens Pikachu is airdodging quite a bit and I think in one screen Fox was doing it, I'm not sure.

Though honestly, did any of you really think dodging would be gone? o_O
Yeah,I may have missed it due to my lack of Pikachu playing,as Iam a Mario main,but
oh no lol,I was thinking in terms of the old wavedashing method making a possible comeback.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Here's my new theory on the next update,at least involving the characters: The next characters to get more info about them will be Kirby,Samus,Zero Suit Samus,Zelda,Metaknight,or Snake.. I think this because they are the only ones to not get extra pieces of information about them revealed yet(Zamus,Metakinght,and Snake haven't gotten anything!) I mean, Mario, Link, Pikachu,and Bowser have all at least gotten there Final Smashes told,while Pit,Wario,and Fox have all gotten a couple of there special moves revealed.

So,I'm hoping some of the with pages but no extra info(Kirby,Samus/Zamus,and Zelda) or even characters with no info at all!Metaknight and Snake)

Waenke

Smash Cadet
Giga Bowser? Awesome, but this is horrible news. Big charcters = no my stages like Hyrule Temple. =[ No even near close tight fit spaces is what i'm tryin to say.

burrito

Smash Lord
Hmmm... no stage. I don't know about this, I would have preferred it if Bowser's Final Smash actually originated from a Mario game. There was a lot of kickass attacks Bowser could have done.

It will most definitely be a stage tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing what Wario's stage is going to be or the new Zelda/Donkey Kong/Metroid/F-zero/Earthbound stage.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
No. Just no. Like Petre says below, all Final Smashes have been single shots or limited time moves. I highly doubt they'll make a Final Smash completely change a character permanently. Not to mention, I think they'll reserve transformations for characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, even Super Sonic if applicable.

if youre imlying that Zamus is = giga bowser, youre sorely mistaken. all final smashes so far have had one thing in common: they last a limited time. if samus's final WAS an attack + transformation, how would she go back?
i believe that samus' final smash will be called the overload charge shot this would be huge but will make samus lose her suit turning into zamus
I think it's been stated that Samus losing her suit in such a fashion is pretty much impossible without her sustaining serious injury.

Seems that everyone forgot that GIGA bowser's playtime is very short. Besides, you can only transform in him once per battle (remember the 'What's a Final Smash?'-update)
I'm pretty sure Sakurai only meant once per item pick-up.

burrito

Smash Lord
I've been wondering: if Sakurai updates with an assist trophy such as the Nintendog, who isn't from a major series within Smash Bros., what will it show for the icon? Will there be a misc. icon or something?

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
The only reason items were turned off in Melee for tourneys was because of the exploding crates, barrels, and capsules that you couldn't turn off...
I don't play tournies, but I've lost count of how many times an exploding container has screwed me on a Crazy-Hand-Trophy-Run.

oh no lol,I was thinking in terms of the old wavedashing method making a possible comeback.
From what I know, wavedashing was just a glitch caused by them trying to prevent characters passing through the ground upon an air dodge. It would make the most sense to me for them to simply FIX this, after all, air dodges already stop properly when contacting a wall, it shouldn't be so hard to fix.

Air dodging DOES NOT confirm wavedashing.

I've been wondering: if Sakurai updates with an assist trophy such as the Nintendog, who isn't from a major series within Smash Bros., what will it show for the icon? Will there be a misc. icon or something?
I'm... really not sure. Maybe just the Smash icon? I guess we'll see.

Which is basically the same, since there will be just one Smash Ball per battle.
I really doubt that. Even if they wind up not being a real item, I'm sure it will be proportionate to the length of the match. It would make no sense at all for only one Smash Ball to show up during a 99 stock or 99 minute match.

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
Giga Bowser? Awesome, but this is horrible news. Big charcters = no my stages like Hyrule Temple. =[ No even near close tight fit spaces is what i'm tryin to say.
Not necessarily. They can still make the big stages, and when Bowser transforms in a spot without enough room, part of the stage can be destroyed (temporarily, or for the rest of the match). So if Bowser were to transform in the passageway from the top level to the bottom level of Hyrule Temple, the top left of the level would crack, and part of it would shatter.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. They can still make the big stages, and when Bowser transforms in a spot without enough room, part of the stage can be destroyed (temporarily, or for the rest of the match). So if Bowser were to transform in the passageway from the top level to the bottom level of Hyrule Temple, the top left of the level would crack, and part of it would shatter.
Or maybe Giga Bowser can't in there, plain and simple. If you had a giant invincible demon thing after you,wouldn't you want to some where he can't get you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom