• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's going on?

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Well, I used to be able to beat my friends with ease. No problem. I would often 2, 3 , or even 4 stock them, and on rare occasions, 5 stock them (out of 5)! But now I started learning some advanced techniques, and they aren't working for me. I'm only becoming more vulnerable to my friends. they play too randomly for me to use these techniques, and I find myself abandoning many of them in battle, save a few (and others for added flash to show off). But now I can only win by going defensive 24/7 it seems. These new techniques need polishing badly, I'll admit, but one would still think they'd prove more productive than they have been on these run-of-the-mill players who are my friends. Any advice?

Also, advice for edge and meteor teching would be helpful too, thanks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're probably losing when using advanced techniques because you begin to rely entirely on your technical skill and stop thinking things through.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Advanced techs are hard to use at first because before they're 100% polished they just throw you off. The button pressing distracts your mind from being able to decide what to do. Don't worry: after some practice they start to feel more natural and less distractive.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Advanced techs are hard to use at first because before they're 100% polished they just throw you off. The button pressing distracts your mind from being able to decide what to do. Don't worry: after some practice they start to feel more natural and less distractive.
I've noticed that I'm distracted by using wavedashes to get in range of smashes and things such as this. I think it would help to play a pro, but we're short these here where I live...as far as I know at least.

Kornstalk

Smash Rookie
Just keep practicing the Advanced techniques and they'll become more natural. I had the same problem when I would play my friends, they just did random moves, and they spammed also. You just have to use the advanced techniques where they seem fit.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Practice.

Learning advanced techs probably makes you worse for a short time, untill you can use them without even thinking of the button presses.

Learning =/= Using them.

After they become like breathing, I guarentee you'll see a massive improvement on your game.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that I can't stand losing, so I ditch the techniques and win my own way. It gets me nowhere, but I can't help it. I have to beat them, or be shamed.

capncone

Smash Apprentice
After you learn some of them also, you'll have to just use them and know that you'll probably lose. For instance, when I used wavedashing at first, I had no idea HOW to use it. I would just sort of use it at random and get punished for it, but eventually you'll recognize the right technique for the right situation.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i see from your avatar you play fox. besides L-canceling, fox needs advanced techniques on only rare occasions. like some people said, learn when to use them. learning advanced techniques doesn't make you a better player, using them does

.:«Jeff»:.

Smash Rookie
Well for starter, your friends may have been getting better. Also it's like when you adjust the scroll speed of your mouse it takes awhile to get used to, once you've got the techniques down and they're hotwired into your brain so that you do it without thinking it. I'm currently learning advanced techniques and my games a gone a little downhill, but earlier today I noticed I used a wavedash to dodge without thinkin about it. It's like when you first learn to throw objects back at people and by trying to hard to do it, your gonna do yourself more bad than good. So just practice.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Well for starter, your friends may have been getting better. Also it's like when you adjust the scroll speed of your mouse it takes awhile to get used to, once you've got the techniques down and they're hotwired into your brain so that you do it without thinking it. I'm currently learning advanced techniques and my games a gone a little downhill, but earlier today I noticed I used a wavedash to dodge without thinkin about it. It's like when you first learn to throw objects back at people and by trying to hard to do it, your gonna do yourself more bad than good. So just practice.
My friends aren't getting better...I can use just about any character I want and 2, 3 or even 4 stock them still...I just did it the other night.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
think of this metaphor

learning advanced techniques is like learning touch typing on the keyboard

lots of people do the hunt-and-peck method, which is pretty inefficient. At first, when one learns to touch type for the first time (placing their hands in the correct home row positions, and typing without looking at the keyboard), it will seem very hard. It will be MUCH MUCH more slower than their hunt-and-peck method. Does this mean that the hunt-and-peck method is the best method? Of course not. With some time and practice, the touch typing method will greatly surpass the hunt-and-peck method in speed and efficiency.

Here is a complex graph i spent many hours on (to make sure it was perfect, and as accurate as possible)

Oh, I just realized that I spent so much time working on it, that I forgot to put a key for it.
blue = touch typing
gray = hunt-and-peck

And this is quite similar to advanced techniques in ssbm. At first, using advanced techniques in matches may seem complex, and may hinder you from playing well, but after some practice and experience, you will become far greater than you were before. :laugh:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
That's a cool way of thinking about it lol

Meteor cancelling is just about using you up+b or second just as soon as possible after getting hit with a meteor attack
And as for edge teching, it's pretty much the same as teching the ground..
like pressing l/r(/z?) 1/3 a second before hitting the edge/ground, I think.
From what I know about it, teching's not about button mashing. You actually gotta time it.

Normally when I'm recovering, and I notice my opponent is getting ready for an edgeguard (like a marth chargining an f-smash), you can assume that they're gonna time the attack to hit you right when you're at the edge, or within attack range, so normally, you can go for the tech at the moment you hit the edge. Well, not right at that moment, but a little bit before, but not too soon. You have 1/3 of a second to do it.
Recovering from the bottom is also important. Especially on stages like Yoshi's story and FD.

Brookman

Smash Hero
you have to know WHEN to do the advanced techniques (like wavedashing/dash dancing etc) Just doing them isn't enough, you have to do them for a reason.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
you have to know WHEN to do the advanced techniques (like wavedashing/dash dancing etc) Just doing them isn't enough, you have to do them for a reason.
No stupid noob everyone knows that as soon as you can do advanced techniques you are automatically pro and should win everyone of your matches.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Is there money on the line? If not, stop caring if you're losing to your friends. Use those matches as an excuse to practice what you're trying to learn. You might lose a few matches here and there, but who cares? You'll never get better if the only thing you do is the same thing you've been doing over and over.

ycz12

Smash Ace
It would help if you told us which advanced techs you're having trouble with. For one, l-canceling should never make your game worse.

Top Bottom