• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's going to happen to the americans that stop listening to the SBR?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Link to original post: [drupal=2058]What's going to happen to the americans that stop listening to the SBR?[/drupal]

Since the SBR has decided - very unwisely considering very recent results - to bring up the Meta Knight issue again for a definitive conclusion, we're going to see a permanent split in the american community, regardless of the result.

Right now "Yes" is winning. TOs that know MK isn't ban-worthy will ignore the whine fest and continue to host tournaments as always, except... SBR is in league with MLG. MLG owns Gamebattles. On those two fronts, the MK ban will spread. Tournaments that could have been big as Genesis are now cut in size, by how much depends on the TO's opinion on MK. Americans that hated MK still went to Genesis and other large tournaments where MK was allowed. Now they simply won't go.

The anti-ban TO's might eventually create their own SBR. Will they remain on Smashboards or move to another site to do this? How will this affect sites like AllIsBrawl?

They will also probably create their own ruleset and ranking list. Even a ****ed overhyped tier list which matters more to some than it should.

Who are you going to listen to then?

If "No" wins, I expect lots of players to quit brawl altogether. The pro-banners are labeled scrubs by the ones they were appealing to. Hosting MK banned tournaments will still be possible, but ultimately they will be as relevant as friendlies where you ban wall infinites.

A part of Brawl is going to die by the end of this poll. I can only hope Melee or even Brawl+ stand to gain from this horrendous decision.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
yay melee.
i approve.

iunno, just cause yes wins doesn't mean MK is banned really.

but if he is banned, I expect people to quit and play melee.

I hope.

edit: that actually doesn't make much sense. I just expect them to quit.

POKE40

Smash Lord
My guess:

1) If "Yes" prevails:

- "permanent" split
- very few tournaments having banned MK
- mass chaos and organized revolts on final decision

bonuses:
-years later: lol Brawl = most wild experience. Bad game. Don't play
-years later: top char of SSB4 be disputed to be banned.
-mass melee revival (jk)

If "no" prevails:
-just how it is right now.

The good thing of all this:

Good thing the world will end in about 3 years.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yay two point infraction for the next person who posts "yay melee" or any such nonsense.

Grunt

Smash Master
aw :(

well imho, if MK isn't banned.
the MK banned people will probably not all unanimously quit brawl, that seems silly, since they're still playing it right now.

but if he is banned, i CAN see a bunch of people leaving
cuz
he doesn't deserve to be banned. MK dominance was waaaaaaaaay low at genesis, and ally has been beasting m2k lately, so it's not impossible to beat him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I didn't say the pro-banners would all unanimously quit brawl if "No" won, but I do expect a good chunk to leave Brawl for other fighting games or Nintendo games, depending what side of the spectrum interests them most.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'm more concerned for the validity of tournaments that allow MK assuming he IS banned.

Mewter

Smash Master
I don't play many MKs, with or against.
But I see the "No Banning MK" stance as being the one that loses the least players, in my opinion.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Yay two point infraction for the next person who posts "yay melee" or any such nonsense.
Yeah previous game of this series?

... second thought, I won't test you.

Poke40, you should know the end of the world was actually 9 years ago back in Y2K and we are all living on an alien planet in a Matrix like state.:ohwell:

Personally, I don't care if it goes yes or no......

Yes:
I see more Snake counters, I pick up Sheik and become famous for being Sheik. /lol

No:
I stick with Snake and use Sheik as my secondary, I become semi-famous because I'm using a top tier char. and placing well. /more lol

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I thought everyone shut up after the case of Ally vs. M2K
I guess I was wrong.
If people secondary MK to cover weaknesses (Which, as stated in a thread somwehre before, isn't the smartest idea), then Secondary Snake to counter them.
And spam grenades.
A lot.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
We need to make sure this blog doesn't become a Pro/Anti metaknight thread. Simply state opinions based on the OP, not on your opinion of MK being bannable.

Personally, I vote no. Regardless, if he is banned, I'll still go to tournaments and actually do better...so yay? But really, I agree that either way will hurt...

Flayl

Smash Hero
To be fair I come off as an anti-banner in the OP. But yes, please stick to discussing the split of the community.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't get the logic that people will move on from Brawl if "No" wins again...it's not like they haven't been playing with MK forever now anyways.

To be honest, I think the whole argument is stupid. That the Brawl community is getting divided because a bunch of people think MK is broken beyond repair and should be banned immediately is really quite sad.

The changes will be much less significant if MK isn't banned, because let's face it; it's easier to have tourneys where something is banned that normally isn't than to allow something that normally is banned.

Maybe if the regular Brawl community tears itself totally apart the hacking communities will take over. I doubt Melee will become the main game again, though I wish it would.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
My guess:

1) If "Yes" prevails:

- "permanent" split
- very few tournaments having banned MK
- mass chaos and organized revolts on final decision

bonuses:
-years later: lol Brawl = most wild experience. Bad game. Don't play
-years later: top char of SSB4 be disputed to be banned.
-mass melee revival (jk)

If "no" prevails:
-just how it is right now.

The good thing of all this:

Good thing the world will end in about 3 years.
I've been awaiting this for a year :laugh:.
Well if it does revive Melee, I'd be glad. Then again, it might not.
People might just go play something else in a whole. :urg:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If the American community splits, I'd find it hilarious.
They won't split because even if they disagree, the two sides need each other just to keep the community alive.

Still, the whining and stupidity will never stop, so instead of worrying about outcomes, you should sit back and enjoy people jumping at each others' throats. Watching squabbles is always highly amusing.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=2058]What's going to happen to the americans that stop listening to the SBR?[/drupal]

Since the SBR has decided - very unwisely considering very recent results - to bring up the Meta Knight issue again for a definitive conclusion,
IIRC it was decided a while ago that Genesis would be a large enough tourney that we could pull very accurate results from considering that the top players of every character (for the most part) would be there, If MK's swept the leaderboards then he would probably be banned and if he fared merely slightly better than most characters he would probably not be banned.

tl;dr

This argument was set for this date like six months ago

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
All i know is that Falcos will be winning alot more major tournaments without MKs haha.
Falco vs MK is 50:50.

In fact, one of Falco's genuine threats, Marth, will see much greater prominence with MK's ban. MK being around is to Falco's advantage. :p

D

Deleted member

I am for the ban, just a disclaimer. Not for him being broken as much as it is to see Marth have a chance in competitive play.

Even though I'm pro-ban, I realize that MK being banned will never happen. It just strikes me as an impossibility. MK's tournament results apparently aren't ban worthy, even though 75% of the Genesis Top 4 was him. Ally continually beating M2K is another factor. A Snake player being the best in the world does not bode well for the pro ban side.

All in all, I try not to argue with anyone, as I understand the ban will never happen.

Top Bottom