• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats some zelda combos?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well, to be honest, there aren't that many haha. But if you use Din's, you can do some pretty neat stuff. Most combos in that regard take advantage of unxploded Din's, although I suppose it is possible to combo out of a Level 1 explosion (the smallest one) if you're fast enough.

A really lame but effective combo for Spacies is to USmash, read their DI, and then USmash them again.

If your opponent DIs your down throw incorrectly, you can easily follow up with a Bair.

Nair into Nayru's is kind of legit.

There are definitely more but I am thinking off the top of my head so yeah haha

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Zelda doesn't have typical combos. The only things that are usually guaranteed are usually an early percent Up Smash followed by another or nair if you go with nair, you can usually hit with a sweetspot fair/bair.

Zelda's combos are pretty much based on how well you can read DI and react off of Din's Fire hits.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Fast Fallers like Fox and Captain Falcon are prey to up-smash combos at low percentages. From there you Grab, Down throw and attempt a Lightning Kick. It's the only relatively consistent combo I've found with Zelda.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Stuff = U-smash, N-airs, Interrupted U-airs (just the sparkles), grabs, LC Nayrus, F-tilt, Din tech-chases, meeeh Dash Attacks I guess, etc. to follow-up further, and U-tilt, D-smash, LKs, U-air, B-throw, etc. to kill or end combos.

Land-Cancelled Nayrus > Stuff in front of / behind you
L-cancelled N-airs > Stuff in front of / behind you
F-tilt > Stuff above+behind you
D-throw > Stuff above+behind you
F-throw on high %s / floaties > Stuff above+in front of you
U-throw on low %s / fast fallers > Stuff above you
Din hit confirms > Stuff wherever
eeeeh Teledash initial hit I guess > More Teledash hits, Stuff wherever

People say Zelda doesn't have many combos because she really doesn't have many options to follow-up her combo starters with, and they often hit opponents too far to follow-up any more after 1 or 2 of them. Strat with Zelda is to force approaches using Dins, space yourself within in a short-mid or mid range to tempt them, and then when they go in, go crazy with your high priority, but keep smart. The only time a Zelda will ever get a decently long combo past 3-4 hits is if the opponent doesn't play the MU and is DI'ing dumbly, or if Zelda's got lucky and the opponent falls for a well-placed/random lucky din.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Okay, I'm sorry but when I read the title and my mind immediately went:

USMASHUSMASHUSMASHUSMASHUSMASH

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Land-canceled Nayru > Jab > F-tilt > up-smash > aerial
This is sort of like the quintessential combo. I've only gotten the full thing once, but you can very easily omit pieces. Start with f-tilt, skip jab, skip up-smash, start with jab, etc. This is Zelda's primary flowchart, but she can easily jump over steps. The f-tilt is necessary to get an up-smash or aerial, but everything else is optional.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Dthrow -> side tilt -> Utilt or Nair
Nair -> Naryu
Land canceled Naryu -> Naryu
Dair -> Usmash -> Nair or Uair

Most combos are done at low percents. Then after that your combos will usually only be 2 moves long.

Dthrow -> Bair
Uthrow -> Uair or Bair oe Fair
Dtilt -> Fsmash or Dsmash
Dair -> Uair or Bair or Fair
Touched Din -> anything

Also keep in mind Zeldoo's combos are never certain, unlike some characters. The only certain combo is Dtilt into Fsmash/Dsmash IF your opponent pops off the ground a bit. They rarely DI properly in time.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This is the one thing I don't like about Zelda in PM. You rely on landing sweetspots, and it kinda diminishes comboing.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
This is the one thing I don't like about Zelda in PM. You rely on landing sweetspots, and it kinda diminishes comboing.
Yeah, the fact she is built to be anything but aggressive really gimps her in a game where speed and aggression based pressure reigns supreme. On the plus side she is anything but ezmode. So at least winning with her isn't due to being OP. *sideglances*

It'd be nice if she had some sort of reliable combo action. Like lowering side tilt's KB so she can use it to start some sort of combo.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
She relies on sweetspots to kill, not so much for comboing so actually her combo game isn't really hampered by it.
That's the problem. All sweetspots, no combos. Then we have things like Fox's Usmash that reminds us that tiny sweetspots are over rated.

I appreciate the skill needed to kill people with Zelda, but even though she is basically a defensive character she feels like she is missing something.

But at the same time, if she could get characters to approach her on her own terms then she might actually not even need combos. Dins are OK but that's assuming you can even lay them down.

IMO it'd be cool if a taunt changed how Dins worked similar to how Samus works. Like the change can only happen when there are no Dins on the field. When changed the Din flies forward and explodes on contact. The animation would just be the Din finishing placement animation. The knockback would just be like walking in to a Din so it can't be used for easy kills and would be a good provoking tool.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem. All sweetspots, no combos. Then we have things like Fox's Usmash that reminds us that tiny sweetspots are over rated.

I appreciate the skill needed to kill people with Zelda, but even though she is basically a defensive character she feels like she is missing something.

But at the same time, if she could get characters to approach her on her own terms then she might actually not even need combos. Dins are OK but that's assuming you can even lay them down.

IMO it'd be cool if a taunt changed how Dins worked similar to how Samus works. Like the change can only happen when there are no Dins on the field. When changed the Din flies forward and explodes on contact. The animation would just be the Din finishing placement animation. The knockback would just be like walking in to a Din so it can't be used for easy kills and would be a good provoking tool.
Sorry if I was confusing but what I meant with my previous post is just to mention that the sweetspot mechanic at large doesn't effect her combo game, not that she doesn't have combos. She definitely can combo (with or without din's) and the sweetspot mechanic mostly affects how strongly you finish those combos.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Obviously using the hitstun of Dins to combo is great, but I've actually managed to get some interesting conversions off of them. Some things to look for:

Far away Din -> Teleburn -> Lightning Kick/Stomp(if off ledge)
Mid-range Din -> Place Din ON them to knock them back toward you -> LK
Ground Din under Zelda -> UpSmash/Uptilt
Place mid-range ground Din ON opponent -> Grab/Jab/Ftilt -> etc
Edgeguarding Din -> Lightning Stomp/Kick
Techchase Din onto their current location -> (roll in) Fsmash (roll out) MOAR DINS

Dins are pretty good for causing hitstun, and the knockback isn't much so DI doesn't make too much of a difference. More important is getting the placement just right. When I place them on people I often aim for the foot or the head. For small characters I just aim at Zelda's arm height and that's good for zoning and preventing wavedashing, as grounded dins will not pop them up high enough to punish even if they hit. Stupid tiny characters >.<

Top Bottom