• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to play better...

Laraso

Smash Rookie
...for someone who used to be pretty good, stopped playing for about 3 years, then started playing again? By pretty good I mean I was able to beat a team of 3 level 9 Ganondorfs by myself with any character in a 99 stock game. Now I know that probably isn't a big deal, but since I started playing again I am about even with a level 9 cpu and I tried playing a team of 2 level 9's and I failed miserably.

I've been playing for a week now and I have come to the conclusion that I am not getting any better.

I know I haven't said much, but is there anyone out there with some advice?

(sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Find people you know who plays the game and gain experience that way. CPUs are rather predictable, so playing against veteran Brawlers can help you with any techniques you need work on, as well as breaking habits that playing against CPUs tend to bring (e.g. excessive rolling).

Another way would be to go to Youtube and search for combo videos of various characters (namely, the one you main) and study how they use them. Searching for tourney videos also help, just to give you a good idea of how to use your main. Just... try not to "cookie cut" what you see; instead, take what you see, and apply it to your own style. Hope this helps.

Laraso

Smash Rookie
I do think I have been picking up some bad habits from the CPUs. I notice I am rolling a lot.

I don't really main anyone, I find that I can (could) play all characters at about the same level, except for maybe Ganondorf or Sonic. Although, I enjoy playing as Shiek, Wolf, Ness/Lucas and Captain Falcon more than other characters.

I tried looking up some videos on stuff for Sheik, most of the stuff seemed pretty easy to do until I got to the DACUS...

Anyways, thanks for your input, I may try to find someone else who can play against me.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Play newbies and learn fundamentals such as reaction, timing, zoning/spacing, execution, strings/combos, other basics and see if you can implement some sort of wisdom into your gameplay whether its mathematics or an english quote.

link2702

Smash Champion
....you were thinking you were pretty good from facing a bunch of cpu ganons?

oh boy....

err....

first things first....stop playing cpus, and definatly stop playing against the worst character in the game, thats not gonna help you much, go to places like AiB and go into the Freeplay chat and ask fro some friendlies....start learning matchups what to do and not to do against certain characters, find a character you really feel the best/most comfortable playing as, aka find a real main, then learn everything you need to know about how to play said character from asking the character boards around here or asking people at AiB who main the same character.

after all that, then the main thing you really need to learn...is how to properly space yourself and also predict what your oppenent(s) are gonna do, and try to *not* be predictable yourself.

and if none of that works pick metaknight.

Laraso

Smash Rookie
Like I said, the cpu thing wasn't a big deal, but it was the fact that I could beat a team of 3 of them with just about any character and now I can't beat a team of 2. I never said I was pro or anything, just "pretty good".

I would play online, but I don't because anything I do is lagged online. Only 1 of my friends owns Brawl, but we aren't that good of friends and I doubt he would want to play Brawl as much as I do, the rest of my friends don't even own a Wii and I am too young (16) to go to a tournament, so it is hard to find someone to play with, so I find myself stuck playing a CPU most of the time.

Also, what is AiB? I searched it in Google and I got stuff about food and art.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
allisbrawl.com

You could make an account and join the ladder, or just go to the chat and ask for friendlies.

It is wifi though

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
allisbrawl.com

You could make an account and join the ladder, or just go to the chat and ask for friendlies.

It is wifi though
That last part is the problem... it is indeed wi-fi. You can still play wi-fi and get some experience and pointers, but because of the laggy environment, it should never be used as a way to measure one's skill. For that, try to find people - if possible - who play offline and practice. You can also attend tourneys and - win or lose - gain experience. Even if you do lose, you can still play friendlies and learn MUs and what-not.

Laraso

Smash Rookie
Learn MU's? What's that? I'm pretty sure a friendly is a non-competitive match but I have no idea what an MU is.

Also, I use Wavebird controllers because of the way my room is setup (a normal wired Gamecube controller wouldn't reach the seats), but I have found a problem with them in that occasionally they will stop responding for a fraction of a second. I don't know what to do about this, I can't use a wired controller but the Wavebird messes up... Should I just try a different channel for the Wavebird?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I use a wavebird and it works fine. The only problem is the buttons get jammed, probably cuz it was pre-used. I suggest u gets another one.

link2702

Smash Champion
Learn MU's? What's that? I'm pretty sure a friendly is a non-competitive match but I have no idea what an MU is.

Also, I use Wavebird controllers because of the way my room is setup (a normal wired Gamecube controller wouldn't reach the seats), but I have found a problem with them in that occasionally they will stop responding for a fraction of a second. I don't know what to do about this, I can't use a wired controller but the Wavebird messes up... Should I just try a different channel for the Wavebird?
MUs=matchups

learn what not to do and what to do against certain characters.

Kantrip

Kantplay

You should get one of these to put on a regular gamecube controller.

Raidcan

Smash Rookie
...for someone who used to be pretty good, stopped playing for about 3 years, then started playing again? By pretty good I mean I was able to beat a team of 3 level 9 Ganondorfs by myself with any character in a 99 stock game. Now I know that probably isn't a big deal, but since I started playing again I am about even with a level 9 cpu and I tried playing a team of 2 level 9's and I failed miserably.

I've been playing for a week now and I have come to the conclusion that I am not getting any better.

I know I haven't said much, but is there anyone out there with some advice?

(sorry if this is in the wrong section)
Probably not the best advice but I swear this always helps me when I'm lacking at brawl...

I constantly seem to lose my muscle memory/skills the first time I'm playing brawl during the day. So I take a break from brawl and play another game (left 4 dead 2) that will keep me occupied for a long period of time....The longer I play another intriguing game the more I regain focus of my muscle memory. It's like reading an interesting book or getting into an art project.... Your mind seems to focus more on the objective and your in your "zone"...Than I switch back to SSBB and my muscle memory is restored.

Top Bottom