• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

SmAsH_nIMsGcubES16

Smash Rookie
3 against 1. I play with my cousins and they are all on the same team. It's pretty good practice, but sometimes I beat them so much, it's not much of a challenge. :laugh:

Best101

Smash Ace
FallenAngelII said:
Also, to add to what HugS said: Beating 3 Lvl9 computers = proves nothing. A 10 yearold with a set of mindgames could still crush you.
I never said anything about me losing to three lvl 9 coms, and i can beat them with three lives to spare in a 5 stock match. I just gave a tip to how i learned how to beat them.

AdamXiah

Smash Cadet
Best101 said:
I never said anything about me losing to three lvl 9 coms, and i can beat them with three lives to spare in a 5 stock match. I just gave a tip to how i learned how to beat them.
He never said anything about you losing to three level 9 computers. To be prompt, it's a bad method of learning to play. Computers offer no insight on how actual players play actual games.

Falco's Fury

Smash Rookie
Luigio said:
I believe that 1 v 1 versus a level 9 is a good way to train by yourself. After that, you can slowly migrate to 1 level 9 and 1 level 7 on you, then 2 level nines, then finally three level nines.

This is actually exactly how I practice, except for the level 7. I haven't fought anything below a nine in ages. And I've kinda stopped 2v1 and I just play 3v1.

But one thing you should never do is play against Roy (and other certain characters) in Hyrule Castle. There's a spot in Hyrule Castle where you can make Roy kill himself EVERYTIME, unless you screw up the pattern. If you want real practice, you want to be able to rid yourself of such cheap moves. If you're dying, deal with it. Get better. I avoid fighting Roy there just because I don't want to be tempted to have him kill himself when my lives get low. ;)

The spot I speak of is the left edge of the lowest platform in the level. When he follows you down there, just before he reaches you, you dodge left, he misses his arial attack, and plummets to his doom. :chuckle:

AdamXiah said:
He never said anything about you losing to three level 9 computers. To be prompt, it's a bad method of learning to play. Computers offer no insight on how actual players play actual games.
Actually, it's not really to practice countering certain characters' attacks or patterns. It's actually more about honing your recovery skills, such as recovering off walls/floors, breaking out of grabs, avoiding enemy combos, dodging, catching items, etc. It doesn't really matter if you won or lost as long as you were able to better yourself in those areas. At least, that's why I practice.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Falcomaster16 said:
I normally train woth my friends, but by myself I eihter go to All-star or Classic on Very Hard.
LYEK OMG YOU ROCK I WILL TRAIN LYEK THAT FOREVAH!!!!!

Seriously, I don't think Classic OR All-star could benefit your training in any way.

Classic: Easy computers who don't teach you much but reaction and timing.

All-star: ^Same as above, except some computers double team you, which never really happens in real Smash.

SmAsH_nIMsGcubES16

Smash Rookie
Kevvviiinnn said:
LYEK OMG YOU ROCK I WILL TRAIN LYEK THAT FOREVAH!!!!!

Seriously, I don't think Classic OR All-star could benefit your training in any way.

Classic: Easy computers who don't teach you much but reaction and timing.

All-star: ^Same as above, except some computers double team you, which never really happens in real Smash.
Didn't he say that they were on very hard not EASY???

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Please, mostly if you check the join dates of the people posting here, you will notice something. People who joined in mabye the last 6 months all say "BEATING 3 LVL 9'S IS SWEET, BEST WAY TO TRAIN!!!" (most of them at least).

People who have been here awhile already know that beating 3 level 9's means nothing.

The best/most common way a competitive player trains is fighting against 1 level 1 cpu. Why? Because you aren't playing to beat the computer, you are playing simply to improve your technical skill to make yourself play as flawless as possible.

! I`m almost unbeatable at that game now!!!
No, your not. Go to a real tournament and then see if that is true. Same thing goes to anyone who practices against 3 lvl 9's. Your missing a huge point to how this game is really played.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
SmAsH_nIMsGcubES16 said:
Didn't he say that they were on very hard not EASY???
Very hard computers suck and won't teach you much period. Seriously don't train with computers.

Now best way to train by yourself: make an exact clone of yourself that knows all of your strategies and mindgames. Then try to beat him.

So the little smash player lived happily ever after,
The End

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Computers only have 2 uses
  1. Checking out how the character feels, getting used to the moves, (General Direction, which ones you don't like, etc...)
  2. And, Getting down tech stuff.

You need other poeple for mindgames, Knowing what DI does, applying tech stuff, and getting better.

So, the best way to get better by yourself? Save up money and find a nearby tournament.

Or wait unitil GCARS/SSBR comes out...

Best101

Smash Ace
Kevvviiinnn said:
Very hard computers suck and won't teach you much period. Seriously don't train with computers.

Now best way to train by yourself: make an exact clone of yourself that knows all of your strategies and mindgames. Then try to beat him.

So the little smash player lived happily ever after,
The End
How are you goin to clone yourself??? :confused:

Royal Flush

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the cards Ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace suite
AlphaZealot said:
Please, mostly if you check the join dates of the people posting here, you will notice something. People who joined in mabye the last 6 months all say "BEATING 3 LVL 9'S IS SWEET, BEST WAY TO TRAIN!!!" (most of them at least).

People who have been here awhile already know that beating 3 level 9's means nothing.

The best/most common way a competitive player trains is fighting against 1 level 1 cpu. Why? Because you aren't playing to beat the computer, you are playing simply to improve your technical skill to make yourself play as flawless as possible.

No, your not. Go to a real tournament and then see if that is true. Same thing goes to anyone who practices against 3 lvl 9's. Your missing a huge point to how this game is really played.
Actually this one ofthe the best ways to train b/c it trains to be fast with your attacks,but believe what you want though! About the tournaments I dont know of any local ones but when SSBR releases i`ll be sure tobe a part of an online one!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You want to tell me you think its the best way to train, and then not have been to any tournaments? For once, try and take something at face value, this game is not the same at the competitive level as it is casually. Talk to any expieranced player, they rarely fight lvl 9 cpus.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
LEVERL NINE COMPUETERS ARE DA BEST WAY TO TRRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
No really you wanna know how to train by yourself... get out and make some friends so you can fight some freakin' humans. Seriously, you won't get much better without playing against real people. As apposed to the fake people.

drolan

Smash Apprentice
honestly...id reccomend honing the simple skills like wding,shffling, all that good stuff on training mode. Then proceed to plugging in an extra second player control and starting a however many stock game and practice comboing with the c-stick considering the cstick is disabled in training.forget about the cpu's, they blow hard and they are really dumb i.e. walk right into a charged smash (level 9 cpu's included). for the experience part of training, you will unfortunately have to begin searching for other somewhat involved smash players...not the kids down the street who just play to play. I had the stroke of luck to have a place called the Nexus only 20 minutes away where i was introduced to this stuff a while ago. Since then, ive been playing with synical,who is on Smashboards, and others. by the way the Nexus pwns joo!!!! lol. but seriously..if it gets to the point that you cant find those type of people...id begin megadownloading smash files from the server and study the fights, then save up money to attend the tourney's. who know's maybe you'll meet a somewhat local resident there and you guys can meet up and train.

ledjin

Smash Apprentice
I think the best way to train urself is playing all the game. The tiny melee mode has some stuff to learn, as well as the cruel melee does, and so on. The event matches are good, too. AND playing 101. A friend of mine gave me this advice, so here it goes: just play against a CPU, level 9 BUT handicaps on: you will get a handicap 4, and the CPU gets a handicap 6 [remember 5 is normal handicap]. You should play 5 stock matches and u'll prolly lose, but when u start winning u can give the CPU even a handicap 7, or urself a handicap 3 to make it more difficult. And I think that's the best way, except of course, a friend [which is NOT training by urself lol].

|Ðjin|

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
ledjin said:
I think the best way to train urself is playing all the game. The tiny melee mode has some stuff to learn, as well as the cruel melee does, and so on. The event matches are good, too. AND playing 101. A friend of mine gave me this advice, so here it goes: just play against a CPU, level 9 BUT handicaps on: you will get a handicap 4, and the CPU gets a handicap 6 [remember 5 is normal handicap]. You should play 5 stock matches and u'll prolly lose, but when u start winning u can give the CPU even a handicap 7, or urself a handicap 3 to make it more difficult. And I think that's the best way, except of course, a friend [which is NOT training by urself lol].

|Ðjin|

Did you read any of the earlier posts???

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
It seriously pisses me off when n00bs come in here and think they know what they are talking about... NEVER FIGHT LV9 COPUTERS... EVER!!

Only way to train is against a Lv1 computer with infinite time.. if you wanna practice a specific thing there are ways to train for them. WDing for example.. go to Training Mode and practice so that nobody is interrupting you. SHFFLing go to infinite time against a Lv1 Bowser with the Damage Ratio down to the lowest (0.5) and do a bunch of SHFFLs on him. Once you have them mastered switch the damge ratio back to normal (1.0) so you get the hang of the knockback again. Seriously the people who said training against a Lv9 are dumb.. same with the people who said stuff about fighting multiple opponents.. and same with the people who taked about Handicaps.. those are stupid ideas and will never help you in REAL battles which is probably something they've never had. And the only way to become a master of this game is to fight real people because that's the only way to develope mindgames. Mindgames are 70% of smash.. technical skill is other 30%. So you can only practice 30% of the skills required to win a tournament by yourself. so you're best bet is to find some freinds!!! :laugh:

Sk8nMasta

Smash Apprentice
i agree on not fighting a Lv9 cpu, Lv1 would be best, i feel they DI more,
im not sure how close this is to actualy getting hit, but i found a way of wallteching by yourself, is getting a Motion sensor bomb and thowing it at the tip of the ledge so its facing Horizontal and upBing into it and teching out of it, BtT can be somwhat helpfull to for Canceling and Dashing. Watching Videos can also be helpful, i get all this from what i do, wasn't much players i could compete againts. and when there was doing these (i found out) were somwhat useful

Psiklone

Smash Cadet
Buy an inflatable person, go to your bedroom when you're the only one in your house...

Oh, in SSBM. Sorry.

Liability

Smash Rookie
Shame on you.

But really, the only way to get better against HUMANS is to play other humans and/or practice your techniques. That's really it.

However! They never said that they were trying to get better against humans...

O-ho, I am sly.

"But, but...3 level nines is like beating a level 27!!!11 Are you better than a level 27?!?"

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I agree with everyone that know what they're talking about. Playing with level 9s is just a dumb thing to do, though it helps when you're bored for about 10 seconds.

I think one thing to do that hasn't been brought up is to go to training mode and pick Peach/Link/Y. Link and practice throwing and catching your own projectiles. This way, you can get somewhat used to catching items both on the ground and in the air. Otherwise, do what the others said. WD/SHFFLCed moves in Training Mode, level 1 computers for combos and implying technical stuff into fights.

NONE of this replaces playing with people, sadly, so in that department, I'm at a loss as to what to say. :(

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
Best Way to Practice By Yourself

WD, Waveshining, SH, SHL, L-Cancelling, Dash Cancelling, Float Cancelling, Fox Trotting, Jump Cancelling, Missle Cancelling, Super WaveDash, DACG, SHFFL, Pillaring
TRAINING MODE

Better SHFFL & Pillar Training
Lvl. 1 CPU Bowser with damage ratio turned to 0.5.,
THEN, change damage ratio back to 1 so you get used to the knockback.

Combos, Chainthrowing, Sidestepping, Spiking, Edge Guarding, Wavesmashing, Teching, Shieldgrabbing, Desynching, C-Sticked Aeriels
Lvl. 1-7 CPU (Basically all the same, except you don't have to wait as long for an attack with a lvl 7 and their DI is better)
(I would suggest fighting fox, because he is short so it forces you to fastfall your aeriels/SHL in order for them to hit)
NO LVL 9's

*NOTE: None of these help you practice MINDGAMES, which is why playing another human is best way to practice. PERIOD.

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
"(I currently suck at everything listed above, but can beat CPU's with ease, wich is probrally a bad sign)"

Heh, yeah I've been weaned on CPU's too. Probably explains why I got so fed up with the game. No competition + Fighting game fetish = very sad gamer.

_glook

Heh, I've fought people outside of my family before but the only one that got close to my skill was my old best freind. I remember spending a day at his house one day in like '98 or something when I found my style hidden in Link and it was me trying to projectile my friend who just sat back deflecting all my attacks.

My freinds are actually the reason why I haven't edgeguarded anything in 5 years. Apparently I was too good at it and my freinds called it "cheap" and "dishonerable." Pish, now I'm missing a segment of strategy that I could have developed.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Self Training

I have many skills to yet learn about SSB:M, such as wave dashing, amongst other techniques, and therefore I claim to be no "Smash Master". However, under certain circumstances, one might only be able to practice against CPUs. Sadly, this is the case for myself, I am a only child, and I live in an area where the people generally care nothing about Smash, but rather beefing up their rice rockets. So, therefore I have tried several methods of training.

For general combos, and testing out new things that I haven't learned yet, I try training mode. For power shielding (at least for projecticles) I recommend playing Final Destination against a level 9 Samus. Basically, just play hard to get, dodge, and run/jump/wavedash from one side to the other, always trying to stay as far away as possible from Samus. In reaction to this Samus generally goes nuts with her missiles and/or charge blast. With so many projectiles being hurled at you, you will have many chances to practice powershielding.

For C-stick training, (I started out not using C-stick at all) I recommend training against a level 1 computer, or go to training mode and set the computer so it does nothing or whatever you prefer. Try to avoid using charged smash attacks like the plague. Also, use a lot of arial moves with the c-stick only. As you develop your c-stick skills, learn to know when to either use a c-smash or a charge smash.

I tend to agree with more of the, probably experts, here, that beating 1, 2, or even 3 level 9 computers doesn't prove much of anything. I might also point out that certain extremely light characters just are not meant for multiple person combat (as in Mewtwo's case). Also, if you must train against level 9s avoid taking advantage of their stupidity in all cases. Sure you can't stop the CP from charging at the wall endlessly, but you can avoid charging your smash attacks to the max, waiting for the computer to jump right at you.

In closing, as stated many times here, playing against a human is the absolute best training there possibly is. For the ones that have no alternative, just wait til Smash Brothers Revolution, then you can finally have your day of glory!

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
That's all true. But is C-sticking that much better than normal control stick smashing?
And I don't want to have to wait 'till smash bros revolution for some AI based training. That won't be around till Late spring!

By the way, now that I have an Emerald membership, should I leave my little text thingy as "smash n00b" or change it?

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
of course the best way to train is against players who are better than u but if ur a loser and have no friends or ur friends suck hardcore doing training mode for the technical stuff (WD, L cancel, throw chains) but if ur looking to do some work on ur reaction time and you are sick of doing tech junk i suggest 1 YES 1 level 7 not 3 then u end up just spamming the same move in order to kill them. then when u beat that level nine increment the handy-cap. each time u win at that handy-cap move thiers up and urs down. this is best against g-dorf, marth, fox or mainly any character ur looking to get better at facing... but remember computers might cause u to develope bad habbits so its always good to do alot more player v. player as opposed to computer.

hope my method helps ;)

i know i repeated some stuff other people said but hey... it said post "your" way of training right???

_glook

"In closing, as stated many times here, playing against a human is the absolute best training there possibly is. For the ones that have no alternative, just wait til Smash Brothers Revolution, then you can finally have your day of glory!"

Gack. Sigh, I guess I really have no alternative to waiting a year.
And C-sticking is a lot faster than regular smash+A. C-sticking will make it so you have absolutely no charge so the moves pull of quicker.

I have to argue that handicaps just mess with everything. You don't know how to properly deal with characters in real combat or when to use certain moves because you don't know how far they will actually be knocked back in real combat or you will be knocked back by them because you trained with different weights. It's a lot better to learn the intricacies of normal mode so you can go into real battle with a little bit of understanding on how each character works.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ok I got it

Ok first of all shut off all items, all of them no matter what,(You probally already did anyway lol) then go practice at final destination against fast characters and only on lvl 9, FD is the fairest stage int hee game, period. So by playing exclusivley there for a while uyou'll be forced to find new ways to defeat old enemies and such. Trust me, this is what I did and I improved about five times over in a week and a half. Also make sure to utilize every single one of your characters moves while your training, and mmake sure to use them every way they can be used, do this and your sure to get better. This is why im as good as I am today,(Pretty good at that!) Trust me I've had nothing but computers to practice with for aobut 98% of the matches I've played since Melee came out!

Top Bottom