• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

drolan

Smash Apprentice
no...DSL?????? *passes out from the shock* i cannot imagine my life without DSL lol..do you live in.. like the boonies? (no offense) its just that local cable providers usually offer it. also i think Western digital has its own high speed thing. plus they have highspeed dialup...not dsl but,,its not THAT bad. you should do the dsl thing tho! sign a huge petition and get them to offer it.if they refuse, challenge the mayor to a game of smash for control of the town lmao. or persuade your parents to relocate!

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
no...DSL?????? *passes out from the shock* i cannot imagine my life without DSL lol..do you live in.. like the boonies? (no offense) its just that local cable providers usually offer it. also i think Western digital has its own high speed thing. plus they have highspeed dialup...not dsl but,,its not THAT bad. you should do the dsl thing tho! sign a huge petition and get them to offer it.if they refuse, challenge the mayor to a game of smash for control of the town lmao. or persuade your parents to relocate!
LMAO!!! Relocating is out of the question. I'd take up the Mayor on playing Smash for control of the town though! Muawahahaha. As for living in the "boonies". Yeah, I guess you could say we do. The town I live close to has a population of 13,000, and they have 2 DSL providers, but I live about....oh...3 times from town (live in the country, and I love it), so that's why it's not available. I had heard, however, of some person who wrote the DSL company so much that they decided to take it out to their area.

drolan

Smash Apprentice
well, you could always go door-to-door( a horrid understatement, more like 40 acre land to 40 acre land lmao) and put flyers in the mailboxes. or one better, go to your post office and ask them if they could put them in peoples mailboxes when they deliver mail. in the meantime, try to get your skills perfected lol.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's my plan, practicing Power shielding, wave dashing, and L-canceling.

As for the petition, that sounds like a good idea to me, I'll have to do some research on it.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
It's not completely up and running, and it probably won't be for several months. It's not for sure whether or not it will run smoothly either, there may be up to several frames of lag between the 2 or more gamers. Probably the best bet is to just wait until SSBR comes out, but, hey, I'd be up for SSB:M online, if I had DSL.

LMAO = Laugh/laughing my @$$ off.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Don't get your hopes up....

Skylink said:
I can have my dad call COX and ge a cable up to my room, so I can split it between two TV's, and a cable modem to hook up with my GC.

It's much more complex than just hooking up a cable line to a GC broadband adapter, you have to hook the gamecupe up to the computer and some other things like that. Anyway, there's a topic here in Melee Discussion about the program (called control sim) you can find the topic here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=50151 Anyway, it doesn't even work with Melee yet, so don't get your hopes up. By the time the program works, SSBR may already be out, but that's just a guess.

Back on topic: Someone suggested that you slow done the time on training mode so you can learn things like PSing and WDing, but I disagree with this, just learn it in normal time, then you won't mess yourself up so badly.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
What's PSing?
True, but since I heard him say that, (and he is a smash lord) I decided to not squeeze time out of my day as aggresivly as I did before I heard him say that. Of course sometimes I need to do just that to get any gametime at all.
and It can't be that complex. I'll look into it after I finish typing this message: "I am a slow typer."

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
PSing is Power Shielding.

And I have absolutely no idea to what you are talking about in your main paragraph.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
It's complex compared to just setting up online play normally for gamecube. There's modding that you have to do to some programs too, I believe (not 100% sure about this, I'm not super-familiar with that topic).

As to what you think about powershielding: Are you nuts? "screw power sheilding! That dumb techniuqe is impossible to do."

It's not impossible, it just requires precise timing, and if you can master it, you can have a nice upperhand against your foe, especially if they use projectiles. It's really not that hard to learn, just go to Final Destination, and set the computer to a level 9 Samus. Just keep running away from her, and she'll constantly use power her missiles and her charged shot. Then, practice powershielding away. It's a simple, but patience trying technique to learn, but very useful, don't ever underestimate powershielding!

drolan

Smash Apprentice
eh..my friend..it is in fact complicated. implementing an online capability to a game that originally lacked it, can be quite tedious. you have to find a way to link people together, with the least lag possible, not to mention you are, in fact, faking out your gc into thinking that that person is connected into controller 2 on your gc and they are sitting right next to you. Hence the reason why it tok emulators so long to offer an online support. come to think of it tho, there are still a lot of emulators that do not offer online support i.e vba. but..if its not that hard, maybe you should collect a couple of your friends and immerse yourselves in the technological world of how to..in theory..recreate games as to make them online or system link compatible. you have my full support as i cannot wait for control sim to finish!

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
I cannot wait either...but if it doesn't happen, oh well......*chuckles* I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I had DSL.

Now please, let's try to get back on topic.

Siberian Khatru

Smash Rookie
Most people would assume three level nine computers would be the toughest. Not necessarily. Albeit three level nine computers can pose a small challenge, it will not increase your skill. How often will you be playing a four player smash? Usually it's just one versus ones in tournaments, why practice with all three level nines?

I understand that there are doubles, but if you wish to train for those, go two versus two, not three level nines.

In my honest opinion, I'd say one level nine in Versus Mode, or Training Mode (at different speeds).

Dawnbringer

Smash Cadet
The best way to practice for me was setting a lvl 1 link (because I can practice my waveshine on him easily,without heavy resistance) to pound on. I practice on a lvl 1 bowser if I wanted to practice comboing. But if I'm practicing to actually apply my skills then a lvl 9 computer,generally link,marth,fox,falco,gannondorf,roy,G&W are who I practice against the most because they don't suicide as much and you can also edge guard OR hunting them off the platform. They also have moderate recovery. I wanted to practice against 100% pure computer sheik but then she always transforms. >_>

Suliman

Smash Apprentice
practice wd in practice mode on highest speed setting.

work on power shielding attacks and projectiles.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Suliman said:
practice wd in practice mode on highest speed setting.

work on power shielding attacks and projectiles.
No, you should not practice wavedashing on a different speed setting. This would just make it even more difficult to get used to wavedashing on a normal setting. If you want to learn to powershield, fight level 1 Falcos and deflect their blasters.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Begolfer33 said:
The best way to practice realy depends. If you want to have a great style then fighting level one CPUs is probably the best. If you just want to blast everyone to the moon and back then fighting level nines is probably the best way to practice.
Actually, fighting level ones is mainly for the technical skill, whereas fighting level nines really only helps in areas such as timing and reaction. Either way, computers suck.

drolan

Smash Apprentice
as stated before..level nines will make you develop bad habits. computers dont have a human error state of mind where they correct their mistakes.a level 9 is just as likely to walk into a charged up smash a few times as a level 1. bottom line. stick with level 1 for technicality. other than that, defeating a level 9 does you no good cuz cpu's dont use,say fox's illusion or marth's forward b to return to the edge.

Coreypsych

Smash Apprentice
What I enjoy doing is to set the CPU to lvl. 9, 5 stock match, and then auto handicap. Once you can beat him or her, add another CPU on what ever level. This is how I can beat 3 lvl. 5 Marios. :)

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Coreypsych said:
What I enjoy doing is to set the CPU to lvl. 9, 5 stock match, and then auto handicap. Once you can beat him or her, add another CPU on what ever level. This is how I can beat 3 lvl. 5 Marios. :)
It's things like these that will make you worse at any real match.

~ Kev

Ultros

Smash Rookie
definetly do not do 1/4 speed or lower speed that normal. It wont help u

JJFMJR

Smash Cadet
I do what the first reply, i started training on one level nine then to a level nine and a level 5 versus me, now im at 2 level 9s and a level 7 :/ cant beat 3 yet

Best101

Smash Ace
JJFMJR said:
I do what the first reply, i started training on one level nine then to a level nine and a level 5 versus me, now im at 2 level 9s and a level 7 :/ cant beat 3 yet
People here says it is not good to fight against lvl 9s cause of their AI. They have no sense of common sense at all. If you don't know some of the techniques here then you can go to the "Wavedashing, L-Canceling. All the Terms" thread at the top of the page. You can set the coms on lvl 1 or go to training mode and practice those techniques.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Oh man ROFL. I'll tell you guys the best way to train by yourself: Lv 1 CPUs

The reasoning behind this is easy. If you play higher level CPU's you are more likely to fall into bad habits that may work on the CPU's but not on real humans. So let's say you are able to perform some whacked out combo on a Lv 9 marth with Fox, that gives you an insta kill. Well if you tried doin that same combo to a real person they are most likely gonna find a way around it and prolly slaughter you in the process and you won't be able to change up or come up with anything new because you've been playing ******** Lv 9 CPUs for soo long, that all your tactics no matter how sucky they are, are engrained in your brain.

Practice your technical skills against LV1s. Such as, how far away can someone be before this f-smash connects or at what distance can I tipper with marth. Wavedash practice: how long do I have to wait after the WD before I can perform an attack. You have to think about all the technical aspects associated with smash. You only develop into something great when you play with people that have the ability to improve much the same way you do. If you play a crappy Lv 9 CPU, you won't grow at all. All playing by yourself is good for is recognizing certain parts of play that could be affective into encorporating with your game.

I don't think you should try being great by playing comps at all. Improve your tech skills by yourself and learn how to fight against real people

DarkUsleon

Smash Ace
Just choose a character and with that character fight all of the other 25 characters until you get tired, by the time you finished you should know some ways of defeating that character when you fight a human player, although it's not the same fighting a CPU and fighting a human player

Brush up on newly mastered skills or try to learn new mindgames, but don't get too used to charging smashes and waiting for opponents, in other words you'd be better off going to practice mode or something, because lv9's create bad habbits that can sticks w/you and make you all the more predictable.
at least thats how I do it.

iAmMarth

Smash Apprentice
You can practice chainthrowing, comboing, wavedashing, l-canceling, and other technical things by yourself. But you're really going to need some competition.

Exactly. Practicing against the comps doesn't offer as much help as you would think. I play against people that are better than me, smash veterans are really good when you want to learn the ropes. Also, don't forget to short-hop. Short-hopping is very useful.

The people I play with don't SHFFL or anything so when we fight, they can't lay many hits on me, that's why i'm doomed to free for all. They can't tell how to get better. they obviosly need to read this thread or play each other.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
at least when the rev is released you can play against someone almost 24/7. it would be good if there was some sort of option where you could choose the ranking of someone to play against, so you could make sure you play someone above your skill level to increase your skills. it would just have to prevent people with high rankings from elevating their stats by choosing to pick on people who aren't as good.

drolan

Smash Apprentice
DarkUsleon said:
Just choose a character and with that character fight all of the other 25 characters until you get tired, by the time you finished you should know some ways of defeating that character when you fight a human player, although it's not the same fighting a CPU and fighting a human player
you CANNOT be serious. what in the world do you expect to get out of that? you'll have just wasted time and will most likely have you pulling off some of the most ridiculous stunts when fighting opponents who know how to do something as simple as WDing..not to mention you contradicted yourself saying you will learn ways to beat a human player but its not the same thing as playing a cpu. of course..i could be wrong...so..please..PLEASE...elaborate this "statement"

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Hey! You! Blanksheep82! tell me while your online so I can post this instead of having to PM it!

Since I'm a emerald member, do you think I should change my title from "Smash journeyman" to something like "airealist warrior" or something?

EDIT: yup, I'm a slow typer. Drolan hadn't posted yet when I started typing this.

2nd EDIT: Yup, he logged off before reading this. looks like drolan did, too:tired: :dizzy:

Sk8nMasta

Smash Apprentice
if anyone seen my info before, i found somone to play againts, who plays with others all the time... and this is one of very few times i have played other people.
2 years playing smash 6 months of that with somone (1 other person) the rest by myself he won but did i do alright? Sk8n Vs SSj4

Top Bottom