• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

whats the worst thing you ever heard someone say about melee?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
"Brawl is better than Melee"
Never have I felt so insulted.
Brawl is better than Melee.

Whaaa? I think in my personal opinion that both games are great but I just prefer Brawl a little more than Melee? I should be shot, screw that everyone has there own opinion crap!

But seriously, only hardcore melee nuts actually get insulted because someone else says the next one in the series is better. Some like Melee, some like Brawl, I wouldn't care if someone said Melee was better than Brawl, whatever games is funner for them, both games are great for their own reason, and both had some positive (and negative) stuff that the other didn't.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion

Whaaa? I think in my personal opinion that both games are great but I just prefer Brawl a little more than Melee? I should be shot, screw that everyone has there own opinion crap!

But seriously, only hardcore melee nuts actually get insulted because someone else says the next one in the series is better. Some like Melee, some like Brawl, I wouldn't care if someone said Melee was better than Brawl, whatever games is funner for them, both games are great for their own reason, and both had something that the other didn't.

...tripping?

lawl jk im not gon troll you. but 7es, you bring up an excellent point.
everyone deserves their own opinion.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
..tripping?

lawl jk im not gon troll you. but 7es, you bring up an excellent point.
everyone deserves their own opinion.
Exactly, people have fought for our rights to let us have our own opinions without being ridiculed for years, so since we got the right, why not use it?

...But true on wtf was Sakurai thinking with tripping, that I detest >_<

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, people have fought for our rights to let us have our own opinions without being ridiculed for years

Partly right. In reality, if, in my opinion your opinion is false, I have every right to voice it. Accepting an opinion doesn't mean I can't ridicule it. People fought for our rights to disagree as well.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Partly right. In reality, if, in my opinion your opinion is false, I have every right to voice it. Accepting an opinion doesn't mean I can't ridicule it. People fought for our rights to disagree as well.
True, but for these particular games Melee and Brawl, there is in reality no true better game. Both have effort put into them and certain things that attract different players (Melee physics, wavedashing, Mewtwo, etc) (Brawl More characters, stages, storymode, etc) These two games are among the same league and if one person called the other game better, it's perfectly acceptable since it's preffered more by that person. Calling the other game terrible like some people do to the opposing game like some people saying "Melees awesome, Brawl's TERRIBLE" "Brawls awesome, Melees TERRIBLE" Is just plain ignorant, since both games are great and well produced. If Brawl/Melee was "terrible" Imagine how bad the other games on the same system would be, considering that both are among the best sellers on each system. Saying about the oppsing game "I don't prefer it, care for it much" is fine, but they can't deny it was still a good game beloved by many. Diagreeing is perfectly fine, if there was no debating, it would personally be a rather bland world

True though, that some things are just plain better. I mean, odviosuly Smash Bros series is better than E.T game, it's just a given fact, and if someone said that E.T was better, they would get ridiculed either way no matter how well the debate because it is for sure the ill superior game.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
*a bunch of stuff i didn't read and...*
But seriously, only hardcore melee nuts actually get insulted because someone else says the next one in the series is better.
yet a random brawl player coming into a melee thread and writing an entire novella about why he's butthurt doesn't display that behavior at all? k.

worst thing i ever heard from a nublet actually found a way to insult an entire genre. "all these fighters are button mashers anyway, easy to 'learn.'" - when playing garou 8. then i thwomped him.
specifically for melee, though, "edgeguarding is cheap" is the most common complaint that i hear from noobs that i can't comprehend as a real complaint.

keeper

Smash Champion
I get really annoyed whenever people tell me they could beat me at Brawl or SSB64 after I beat them really hard in Melee with a character I don't use. Little do they know I'm one of the people that joined the Melee community in preparation/hype for Brawl, then descended back from being a Brawlkid for six months...

That or they challenge me to some other game I know I could beat them at.

Edit: I sound so cocky, but I really do pick up games incredibly fast and am the type to look into the mechanics of a game I'm even slightly interested in and how to abuse them.

Luma

Smash Lord
you guys are so wrong about CS, since its a teamgame it requires different types of skill

+ the aiming from real pros is just insane, yeah maybe sometimes you will get a lucky shot onto them, but thats all

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman

But seriously, only hardcore melee nuts actually get insulted because someone else says the next one in the series is better. Some like Melee, some like Brawl, I wouldn't care if someone said Melee was better than Brawl, whatever games is funner for them, both games are great for their own reason, and both had some positive (and negative) stuff that the other didn't.
Preference =/= Quality

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
yet a random brawl player coming into a melee thread and writing an entire novella about why he's butthurt doesn't display that behavior at all? k.
Lol yeah ok i'm butthurt, that's why i'm spazzing out and everything right? I play both games, and just think nobody would be freaking out when someone prefers one game to the other.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you guys are so wrong about CS, since its a teamgame it requires different types of skill

+ the aiming from real pros is just insane, yeah maybe sometimes you will get a lucky shot onto them, but thats all
I can argee about team work but only so far, most likly because no one knows who they will be teamed with. But i've seen some great team work on assault camping wise on both sides. But poor team work is more noticeable. like I was on bloodstrike I had a cheap$ sniper and me and a normal level bot vs like 3 people and 2 bots. the bot kill one bot and I snipered 2 people right off the bat and and I caugh someone else before they saw me.

for the last guy he was camping in one of the ramp corners, I moved to where I could only see his elbow and killed him. Poor teamwork is very poor.and head shoots are fun. in the match I was only seen like once.

oh and everything is muted at school

`DNS`

Smash Lord
True, but for these particular games Melee and Brawl, there is in reality no true better game. Both have effort put into them and certain things that attract different players (Melee physics, wavedashing, Mewtwo, etc) (Brawl More characters, stages, storymode, etc) These two games are among the same league and if one person called the other game better, it's perfectly acceptable since it's preffered more by that person. Calling the other game terrible like some people do to the opposing game like some people saying "Melees awesome, Brawl's TERRIBLE" "Brawls awesome, Melees TERRIBLE" Is just plain ignorant, since both games are great and well produced. If Brawl/Melee was "terrible" Imagine how bad the other games on the same system would be, considering that both are among the best sellers on each system. Saying about the oppsing game "I don't prefer it, care for it much" is fine, but they can't deny it was still a good game beloved by many. Diagreeing is perfectly fine, if there was no debating, it would personally be a rather bland world

True though, that some things are just plain better. I mean, odviosuly Smash Bros series is better than E.T game, it's just a given fact, and if someone said that E.T was better, they would get ridiculed either way no matter how well the debate because it is for sure the ill superior game.
pretty much that
Melee's game engine and actual gameplay is definitely more fun than Brawl's, but I did like the Subspace Emissary. It's gotta be the best part of the whole game. Sure, having some more characters and stages is nice, but I'd rather have a character I can have lots of fun with than have five I don't.

PS: SSE I beat on intense and got 99% of all items. Glitch or something wouldn't let it get to 100% completion; kept saying that there was an item in the final stage, but after looking up maps of all items and scouring the entire stage for HOURS, I gave up :(

Luma

Smash Lord
well since you only know public and **** you def cant understand how important teamplay is, no offense but public players in cs = casuals in melee

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman

Ok, I would agree with you completely if both of the games were simply party games and I had just entered the fray. But what makes a game for me is if I enjoy playing it. Brawl, for lack of a better way of putting it, is shallow compared to melee. This isn't meant to be an insult, but the ONLY thing that truly gives a game depth is the amount of variables involved and melee simply HAS MORE. You're opinion could be that Brawl is a better game because it has more characters stages etc and if you are comparing only those two elements then I agree, Brawl is far superior. But you have to understand that if Brawl had melee's physics and was actually up to par, then there would BE no debate. Everyone from melee would have switched over ages ago.

If you prefer playing Brawl then that is one thing. But to say it is as deep a fighter is simply a fallacy. It just isn't. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Brawl very much. As a party game. It has way more fun items, fun stages, and greater variety of characters. But when you take all that away to look at a fighter that takes skill, melee wins by a landslide. And in reality most of the melee players who come here are after that depth and it's why they are insulted when people say Brawl is superior.

Wavedashing, L canceling, all these advanced techniques are not what makes melee great. It's all of them together, building more options, variables, creating depth. If Brawl had something interchangeable with variables like that, whether it was Wavedashing or L canceling or something new, I would definitely switch to brawl because it is clearly a superior game. It just isn't a superior fighting game and it never will be. It isn't a matter of opinion. If you prefer playing Brawl, that is an opinion. But it simply isn't and will never be up to the same game as melee is. I respect you for voicing your opinion but so far you haven't said anything which promotes Brawl as a deep fighting game. And for my opinion, that is what makes the better game, so it is clear that our opinions don't match up.

Regardless, nice chatting with you.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I argee I said I may not understand it at that point. I was saying I do good vs the people at school most/all don't know that you can couch then jump to get higher.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Wavedashing, L canceling, all these advanced techniques are not what makes melee great. It's all of them together, building more options, variables, creating depth. If Brawl had something interchangeable with variables like that, whether it was Wavedashing or L canceling or something new, I would definitely switch to brawl because it is clearly a superior game. It just isn't a superior fighting game and it never will be. It isn't a matter of opinion. If you prefer playing Brawl, that is an opinion. But it simply isn't and will never be up to the same game as melee is. I respect you for voicing your opinion but so far you haven't said anything which promotes Brawl as a deep fighting game. And for my opinion, that is what makes the better game, so it is clear that our opinions don't match up.
how would you compare melee to other fighters? melee has insane movement which equals more options plus the fact you can kill them a number of ways off the top/side/edge gaurd.

how does that compare to SF? It's kind of neat when you think about it.

also to other fighting games. I play bushido blade and there are many defenseive techs because it's offeseive side can be overwheming like take a hit the arm you can't use projectiles, your block is weaker, less combos,slower attacks and your easier to block. take a hit to the legs you can't walk/run/combo and are limted to projectils, get up attacks and 3 normal attacks. and it's easy to one hit kill them if they can't block.

but how does melee stack up? I'm trying to be fair to both sides

sorry for the double post.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
how would you compare melee to other fighters? melee has insane movement which equals more options plus the fact you can kill them a number of ways off the top/side/edge gaurd.

how does that compare to SF? It's kind of neat when you think about it.

also to other fighting games. I play bushido blade and there are many defenseive techs because it's offeseive side can be overwheming like take a hit the arm you can't use projectiles, your block is weaker, less combos,slower attacks and your easier to block. take a hit to the legs you can't walk/run/combo and are limted to projectils, get up attacks and 3 normal attacks. and it's easy to one hit kill them if they can't block.

but how does melee stack up? I'm trying to be fair to both sides
I'm not sure what you mean by "compare"? I feel like melee is a very unique fighting game and that the amount of depth that it has is a complete accident. When you compare it to games that were designed to be deep like SF and Bushido Blade, Tekken, what are you left with? Does the fact that it wasn't intentional take away from its depth? I don't believe so personally. How does melee stack up against them? I'm no sure what you are asking lol

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee is really deep, I'm just worder if what you said about brawl do you believe is true for other fighters? melee has many more options than _____ is it superior? same way around, I understand there are somethings you can't compare like sdi to throwing sand/snow in BB(bushido blade) or something that is SF only.

i'm just wordering and if one of these games turned out deeper/more skillful would you try to play at high levels?

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Ok I get what you are saying. That is a very interesting way of thinking... I'd say no though. Aside from melee, the only fighting game I play competitively is Budokai 3 with my friend John and now ZoSo who started playing with us :D it is a deep but not overly technical fighter, and really its only cause its dbz and its awesome :p I tried to play Tekken but I don't like not being in control of my character like I want to be. Why should have to continue running once I initiate a run, etc. I love the freedom that melee gives you that breathes life into its depth.

As for other fighters, I suppose it is all about why you are playing the game. Some people play to join communities and go to tournaments, others just play to have fun in there own setting. Using Budokai as an example: The competitive following for that game pretty much died a while ago. It doesn't stop me from playing it because I have fun playing it. Melee on the other hand, I don't know if I'd keep playing if there was no longer a competitive scene. Budokai dying of its own accord is different then Melee dieing because of Brawl.

My friend Adam tried to get me to play Tekken and I gave it a shot for a little while. Tekken, I feel, is overly techincal. When its that techincal, for me it becomes not as fun regardless of the depth, and in that sense I don't necessarily think that depth means a better game. I never said it did.

Is Tekken a better fighting game then Melee? I don't know if this applies to Melee / Brawl since Melee and brawl are related, but Tekken and Melee have depth. I'm not trying to say that more depth always makes a game better, but in the case of Brawl and Melee, it is very clear that Brawl is inferior in that department. I see your point, but I still stand by what I said.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
At my job, (Gamestop) woot, I was talking to a customer about this debate and he pointed out something interesting to me, and to me it makes sense, but in short.. He said,

"Smash brothers is a great series and I want to get into it, but I've seen the way you play and have watched the countless videos on youtube.. i want to get good at it, but I don't necessarily have the dedication to take that long to get somewhere. I kind of want to learn fast and be competetive much quicker, and seems i can't do that with melee."

Now hence I kind of frowned upon this, because I do agree that melee takes alot more time to be "a polished player" however even though I'm not a brawl fan myself, I do believe that Brawl, takes MUCH time to get a comprehensive set of knowledge to compete at high levels of play anyway, so with that being said, it felt like he contradicted himself cuz both games take somewhat long to get good at you know?

IDK just posting my .02 out there

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
thank you. But would you try other games again? I have to admit the number one turn off in fighting games are the following: broken controls, barely control movement like in SF you can run or anything, options, and if it's way to easy it has to be hard otherwise it's rarly worth the time.
But I love my Wding.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Lol take it or leave it man. I never judge a game unless I play it. I made that mistake with melee before I got competitive. So I've learned to give every game a chance v_v but we've derailed this topic for long enough :D

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Regardless, nice chatting with you.

Heck, I think both games are equal in quality and both equally good, just the things in Brawl that are improved over Melee are what I personally prefer...Point is: Melee and Brawl are equally good, and none should take offense to which ever one someone prefers because both games have there defining elements.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
"Yoshi is sooo cheap! He must be the best character in the game!" -Aaron

"Brawl has more characters so it's better" -my brother
My response: "Though it has more characters, how many of them will you actually use?" (not to mention the plethora of other lame gimmicks brawl has)

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
'Why not play brawl, its just melee with more stages and characters, and no clones and gay glitches'

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Also, I got made fun of for going to the mainland for tournys by a stupid kid at my school

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I can't remember how the guy phrased it. It went something along the lines of, "Melee doesn't feel that fluid or have much mobility compared to Brawl."
I also knew someone complaining that Melee was programmed badly and called L Canceling a glitch...

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
"this game won't ever be as deep as traditional fighters."

right, a frame-driven platform fighter can't compete with the insanity of moving back and forth.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
"captain falcon sucks in this game, hes better in brawl"

I never "WUT'' 'ed so hard in my life. i snatched his controller, and slammed it on the ground

"melee sucks cuz its on gamecube, brawl is better"
perfect logic amirite?

"melee takes no skill just knock them off the edge and edgehog"

wat

best thing i ever heard someone say about melee now, 2 of the above made me almost cry at the ignorance

"brawl sucks cuz captain falcon is low tier"
BEST LOGIC EVER

"brawl sucks cuz you cant do this or this

and this happened at school

some nub complaining about how brawl is better than melee - "melee sucks because its harder to play teams because you always hit your partner. Brawl is better because you can't hit your partner as easily. TEAM COMBOS ARE EASIER IN BRAWL TOO"

friend of mine walks over to this nub, slaps him and says "2 WORDS *****. WOMBO COMBO"

someone in the background says "that aint falco!"

mood4food77

Smash Hero
"how do you not get distracted by the backgrounds"
i just stopped playing and looked at my room mate...i was like seriously, i don't care if your drunk but you look at your ****ing character the entire time, why in the hell are you looking at the background

then i went back and proceeded to **** his friend who thought he was good

Top Bottom