• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats your Controller Set-up?

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
I dont want this to be a big thread or anything but I was just wondering whats most ppls TL set-up for thier controller.

i go with tap jump off, b-sticking, and Z for attack to do super easy RARing straight into a Bair.

Umby

Smash Master
Standard GCN with Tap Jump on, just because I can tilt without problems and tap jump is occasionally helpful depending on how I'm positioned.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Standard (including tap jump) except for another jump command set to L because my crap fingers are too slow to do a SHDA the traditional way.

:3

zaf

Smash Lord
I dont want this to be a big thread or anything but I was just wondering whats most ppls TL set-up for thier controller.

i go with tap jump off, b-sticking, and Z for attack to do super easy RARing straight into a Bair.
lol it is very easy to rar without the b-stick. You are really missing out not have c-stick with smashes. You are loosing the opportunity to dish out quick smashes, and gaining a useless ability.

standard, tap jump off, smash sticking for the running up smashes
this is the way to go,

zaf

Smash Lord
game cube controller, tap jump off and "X" is set to special so i can SHDA real easy.
this is something i also do, it is much easier and allows for the shda to be used easier as well.

forgot to mention it before lol

Lobos

Smash Master
I'll prolly go back to a gc tho since the cc is cheap, I notice the control stick is starting to crap out on me.

zaf

Smash Lord

Lobos

Smash Master
also you should switch back to the gc controller for the sole fact that the classic controller and all wiimote and nunchuck setups are banned in competitive tournament play.

that is if you want to play competitively in tournaments.

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4318215&postcount=12433
I've been playing competitively in tournaments with the cc with no problems. The problem in that thread doesn't happen often or atleast not many people even use the wiimote/nunchuck/cc to play in tournaments for it to be a big deal.. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the MD/VA region that uses the cc.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Wiimote+Nunchuk.
Tap on.
C=Jump
Dpad=Smash

And why are the hellar normal Wii controllers banned in competitions?
I dont see how they offer an advantage...

P.S.
The Gamecube Controller is so 2001. :p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wiimote+Nunchuk.
Tap on.
C=Jump
Dpad=Smash

And why are the hellar normal Wii controllers banned in competitions?
I dont see how they offer an advantage...

P.S.
The Gamecube Controller is so 2001. :p
There is not any significant advantage (each controller offers somewhat of an advantage, except the plain Wiimote just offers simplicity, lol). The problem is that on large-scale tournaments, syncing Wiimotes is a bothersome task. Also, there's always a chance the Wiimotes might desync (or that one person presses sync on their Wiimote simultaneously to another Wii that they are not currently using, leading to odd and annoying results).

Basically, the hassle that Wiimotes and their respective settings (CC and Nunchuk combo) usually leads some wanting to ban them. At a tourney I went to, people would accidentally turn on their Wiimote (because it was in his/her pocket) and cause trouble with the Wii it was synced to.

However, seeing as nearly no one uses the Wiimote settings competitively, I don't see a problem with them...yet.

On topic though:

GCN Controller: Tap Jump Off (I press too hard upward for tilts and get full jumps instead, yes, I failed so hard at Melee), L-trigger to Jump, and Y to Special (although I still rarely ever use Y).

Tr3vlyn

Smash Cadet
tap off
l for jump so i can throw bombs forward when i'm running away
x for special so shda are incredibly easy to perform and i so i can sh bomb pull/arrow cancel in the same hop.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Normal. I dont see how anything can really help me if everything already had an input.

Ghettible

Smash Rookie
Normal. I dont see how anything can really help me if everything already had an input.
everything already has an imput, but two buttons are used twice. X and Y are both jump and L and R are both shield. I, for instance, don't use R to shield, so I bound it to jump to make double arrow easier.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
call me weird:

A=jump
B=speciall
Y=grab
X=attack
C=smash
Z=attack
L=shield
R=attack

it seems to serve my cause so universally for all my characters

jumping specials is easier this way.
also jumping clawshots
bomb catching
bomb sliding
boost smashing

are all pretty easy in this setup

with A being the central button i can roll my thumb to any peripheral buttons with ease

so jump to _____ becomes easier

EDIT: (i'm a link/toonlink/fox/DK player so boost smashing and bomb sliding [boost throw] is link specific)

also jump shines are easier in this

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
everything already has an imput, but two buttons are used twice. X and Y are both jump and L and R are both shield. I, for instance, don't use R to shield, so I bound it to jump to make double arrow easier.
well theres already an X and Y for that so thats 3 jumps. I don't see how it helps unless your fingers are just more comfortable like that.

Top Bottom