• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your definition of cheap?

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
Super Sonic, if all smash balls were off, my brother would loose everytime, but now, its 75-20, the extra five bing my other brother winning

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I just find edgehogging a little unorhtodox to my fighting style. I makes the player seem like they'll do anything to win, and winning is not the only thing that matters y'know.
I kind of know what you mean. It makes me feel like a bit of a jerk when Olimar, ZSS, and Ivysaur hang in the air for a second before helplessly falling to their death. :( I do it to most others though because it actually takes some good timing.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
no such thing. It is a term people use for falling for a ridiculously predictable tactic and get angry because they can't overcome it.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Scrub mentality, why should other players hold on to your arbitrary honor system?

If you're serious Ban3, and your icon reflects your main, you have no excuse. DK kills metaknight.
Who said I think people should follow my rules? Don't assume things from posts. And use CGs all you want, I don't care.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Snake's u-tilt is cheap. It has a stupidly massive hitbox, minimal lag, pretty much no startup time, and it murders. He's so powerful already...

Demon_Fox

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that using the best and most annoying moves of your character e.g.(IC cg, Pit side-B) should be called cheap. Or do you think, doing everything for the sake of winning is cheap? I would rather call it ambitious.

Real cheapness is having no level. Taunting after every KO. Going around boasting about your 'great victories' although you only won one out of a dozen matches. That's what cheap means IMO.

mr gcube

Smash Rookie
I think playing using cheap tactics refers to a style of play involving the opponent making decisions that would match the general flow of play in that match.

I am NOT saying that playing unpredictably is cheap.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I just find edgehogging a little unorhtodox to my fighting style. I makes the player seem like they'll do anything to win, and winning is not the only thing that matters y'know.
It's a shame those **** How To Play videos stress not letting your opponent back on the stage. Otherwise, people might get the wrong idea about how to win.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Things that are cheap I would consider to be anything that gives one player a huge advantage where the standards set to over come this advantage are ridiculous at best.

Don't get grabbed. lol.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I consider Dedede's chaingrab cheap, but you know what theres like a thousand things in Every smash game that's cheap, and If I truly gave a crap about what was cheap I wouldn't be playing smash.

Also, every player has access to ecessivley cheap tactics, and theres always one cheap tactic to counter another one. And in the slight chance there not, then OMG, you must think and use mind games.

An example is, I consider Metaknight as a charcter cheap as hell, projectiles/ spacing and mindgames counter meta knight. Thats how I deal with him.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
In any game rationally, something that there's no defense against.

Irrationally sometimes I'll think someone with an annoying playstyle like keep away is cheap but I remind myself that if it's working, I'm doing something wrong probably.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Venusaur getting you with his seeds when you are only at like 10%, that sucks.
yeah. venosaur shouldn't even be in the game! think of the massive damage he'd be dealing, what being the EVOLVED form of ivysaur D:

UberBen56

Smash Rookie
Crap I just banged out a long speech about this unaware this thread was here. Anyway, no one's cheap, just don't leave yourself open to that "spammy" attack. If you can't, you gotta improved to not get PWNED.

UberBen56

Smash Rookie
There's no such thing as a cheap player. There are only players who can't beat spammers because they are simple-minded and can't devise a strategy to beat the spam.

Prove me wrong.
Thank you! FINALLY, someone gets it right. You CAN beat spammy moves. There's no way to prove that wrong. Everyone has been...

PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
cheap is DDD's inifinite. seriously. the reason we have so many meta's and snakes owning everything up is because all the dk's are getting inifinted by mere d3 scrubs that ultimately remove dk from the equation.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
good thing im not serious though lol but dk does not kill metaknight, just has an advantage over them XD
Just an exaggeration mon ami, DK has an advantage over MK and I was pointing that out.

Who said I think people should follow my rules? Don't assume things from posts. And use CGs all you want, I don't care.
By saying something is cheap, you're making a value judgment about that tactic and by extension, the people who use it.

In other words, if they don't follow your arbitrary rules, they're not honorable, or however you wish to phrase it.

What justification is there to make such value judgments?

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
the only thing i consider cheap is snake. He's so good its not even funny. where to begin...

- he takes forever to die and always lives till 150+% unless of course the snake is dumb and up B's near the ledge to get grabbed.

- he has a ton of priority.

- almost all his moves are kill moves

- snake slide is one of the best approaches in the game and its so easy to do. It also allows for him to chase the other player with ease.

- HIS TILTS ARE REDICULOUS

- his forward smash kills at like 30% against any character.

To me this qualifies as cheap. Please don't call me a noob and adapt. I actually won a tourney recently and main snake for all these reasons. Feel free to argue why hes not cheap.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Just an exaggeration mon ami, DK has an advantage over MK and I was pointing that out.

By saying something is cheap, you're making a value judgment about that tactic and by extension, the people who use it.

In other words, if they don't follow your arbitrary rules, they're not honorable, or however you wish to phrase it.

What justification is there to make such value judgments?
A smasher is dishonorable through many ways. As far as using cheap, skill-less tactics? Again, there's an assumption here. Who said I believed being cheap means your dishonorable? This thread called us to define cheap, and in my definition, I never said being cheap made you dishonorable.

There are several ways to be dishonorable, and the one that goes along with being cheap? If I were to ever call someone dishonorable because of them using a cheap move or character, they would have to have mained Goku (he's not in the game, but imagine he is and he's the fastest, strongest, etc, and has one hit KO moves). That's called cheap. It takes you no skill and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

So, basically, there's no way you can be cheap in Brawl and be registered by me as being dishonorable... Unless you hack in the game and make yourself better than everyone else. THAT is being a dishonorable n00b, unsightly to all eyes.

It sounds to me, like a sneaky debater or lawyer, like you're making things up. >_> I'm onto you tricky people and your arguing skills. I'm just as bad.

replicate

Smash Lord
cheap=scrub discussion, usually

Something is cheap if it's ridiculously good and very easy to do. Still though, there has to be some sort of emotion behind it--you wouldn't call something cheap if you didn't care about it or if you were winning in spite of it. In most cases, for something to be "cheap" you need to be winning with it, ruthlessly.

Top Bottom