• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what's your melee training regimen

Pi

Smash Hero
At least once per day I'll turn the game on and beat around on a level 1 computer with shiek/samus/cfalc/spacies for like an hour or two, and roughly 3/4 times a week I'll get together with 2/3 of my buddies and actually get some real matches in, we usually play for a few hours, anywhere from 2-6 I would guess

I would really like to practice more, especially now after learning so much from the recent tournaments I've been to I don't feel like I've had a lot of time to actually put everything that's in my head into practice.

my ideal training regimen would be playing and talking with the best players in the world about my playstyle, the best samus & shiek players about some tricks they may know, and having a **** near unlimited amount of time to do it in so I didn't feel like I needed to win our matches but rather could practice new strategies, new tricks, new idea's, which I guess I could do now, and I probably will lol, but you know how you get that feeling that times running out and you don't want the people leaving thinking they're better than you, or maybe that's just me

any way, curious as to how you guys go about practicing melee, post w/e you want, your current, you're ideal, your pre-tourney training regimen, whatever

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I go to tournaments and think about what tactics caused me problems afterwards. I first try to come up with my own solutions and then look for videos of people better than me to see what they do in response to said tactics. Ideally, I would live really close to a few people better than me so I could experiment around with my weirder ideas every now and then, but that's not the case.

keeper

Smash Champion
I just play level 1 computers for about two hours a day or so.

I work on random tech skill things too, just because. Like the other day I spent two hours working on shield pressure.

joeplicate

Smash Master
playing computers, moving around as well as possible with any character

I actually started practicing super wavedashing with samus, it's so fun hahaha

but any good practice (meaning you focus and keep it varied) vs a cpu is good

and then practicing to have the right mindset during friendlies, *****

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Practice moving around every stage fluidly, with wavelands and stuff. It depends on who you play, though. I can't really give any Samus advice.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
picking up characters

do name entry glitch on dreamland

do flashy stuff,edgecancels/unique character stuff,getting down practicing all the stuff possible with him/her

then:

final destination

picking falcon/falco and a lv9 GnW

practicing wallteching/walltech jump

i hate battling vs cpu,when i practice against them,i just lose battles against real people cuz i dunno ways to get in,and cpus just let you do that,also cuz of that my comboing is awesome,but i cant land hits... **** YOU CPUS

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
If playing Captain Falcon against a team of level ones on Slow-Mo Melee constitutes as practice, then sure. That's what I've been doing recently.

joeplicate

Smash Master
doooooon't play slo-mo

it'll just mess with your timing
like the opposite of lightning melee (doesn't work for practice either)

Sabaku

Smash Rookie
Lately, I've been considering doing mobility training. I figure I'll start with practicing wavedashing with C. Falcon, starting with lower speeds and working up to regular speed. I want to be able to do at least 20 wavedashes in a row without shielding by accident.

Once I do that, I want practice doing SHFFLs from Bowser onward until I'm comfortable doing them consistently with Falcon's f-air or d-air at least. Once I get used to doing wavedashes and SHFFLs together, I'll work on doing wavedashes into ledge grabs followed by drops into aerials back onto the stage. That's all I got so far.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Lately, I've been considering doing mobility training. I figure I'll start with practicing wavedashing with C. Falcon, starting with lower speeds and working up to regular speed. I want to be able to do at least 20 wavedashes in a row without shielding by accident.

Once I do that, I want practice doing SHFFLs from Bowser onward until I'm comfortable doing them consistently with Falcon's f-air or d-air at least. Once I get used to doing wavedashes and SHFFLs together, I'll work on doing wavedashes into ledge grabs followed by drops into aerials back onto the stage. That's all I got so far.
Smell that? Its the stale, musty air that wafted out of this thread's coffin.

I'm actually glad you necro'd this thread though. Read Fly Amanita's post because that **** clearly works.

I used to play Street Fighter and Guilty Gear online because they helped me improve my prediction in Melee. I gradually stopped doing that as time went on. I'm kind of just a casual-competitive player now, more than I used to be, who plays other genres to prevent FG burnout during my free time. Maybe I might get back into that habit when Street Fighter 5 and Revelator launch

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing, dash-dancing, SHFFL etc and overall mobility throughout the stage. Wavelands and ledge dashing too.

Other than that, I try to practice technical things like Falco's multishine and Marth's chaingrab. My regimen can get boring LOL

Last edited:

Diosama

Stand User
Everyday, I play at school with my friends during breaks. At home I like to practice tech for at least an hour, then occasionally mess around with a cpu or my younger brother for combos and CGs.

Top Bottom