• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your personal purpose for playing Ice Climbers

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Lately, I've had a lot on my mind. I don't know exactly why I'm compelled to share all of this, but the timing for the revival of this thread in particular seemed to have uncanny timing. Almost providential timing. And a good book once told me, "Never stop dreaming, Follow the omens." So I shall oblige.

Ice Climbers get a lot of hate. For obvious reasons, people just hate the infinite and what it does to the game. Even most IC mains hate the character at some level, for various issues. One of them I see a lot is how arbitrary the AI for Nana acts.

I'm reminded of an exercise that I've come across in regards to perspective. The exercise goes as follows:

Punctuate the following group of words into a coherent message:
Woman without her man is nothing
I'd guess that most players based on their attitudes would apply that to Brawl as "Nana, without her Popo, is nothing."

However, I'm a huge romantic at heart. I think there is something truly inspirational in theme about how Nana will try to run back to Popo when they are separated. And when they work together in group, they can work wonders. It's probably weird, but I always can sometimes hear flashes of the chorus of "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi when the ICs uses belay to the ledge ("Take my hand, we'll make it I swear"). When they are in harmony, their power is infinite, quite literally. There are evils at work and they try to tear them apart, but more often than not, they can always make it through together.

And for the longest time, I've been truly blessed to have the embodiment of Nana in my own life, with my fiancee. Truth be told, behind the act of bravado I put on around everyone I'm with, I am terrified of being considered and falling into that category of "ordinary". It was a situation where, at least locally, I was pretty good at this Super Smash Bros Brawl game, almost to the level of ascending to greatness. And I so badly wanted to ascend to the level of greatness at something; if not for my own glory but to at least impress her. I felt like she deserved to be with the world's best at something, and in the back of my mind I always used that as motivation to really pour my heart and soul into being great at the game in all aspects whether it was playing, hosting, or community building. Contrary to the idea of being "nothing", my figurative Nana is "everything" to me and I want to be able to at least give her "something" nobody else could.

I'd go as far as to say "Nana! Without her, Popo is nothing." And this is where the story starts to go to a dark place. Because a few days ago I've been put on notice that I might lose my fiancee. Relationship differences happen, and I asked her to think things over before making a final decision. Suddenly I find myself teetering at the edge, and watching as my real life embodiment of Nana pulls a Frigate Orpheon glitch and decides to not come back. And just like in the game, I feel powerless to stop it. Naturally I've been pretty devastated the last few days. But I've more or less been taking solace in the fact that I've been trying to make this thing work, even now until the end. But solace is only a small comfort, when you feel like you are nothing.

So for the first time in an extremely long time and after a lot of deliberation if it's worth going, I've decided I'm going to enter SKTAR 2 and use ICs for the entirety of the tournament, win or lose. Because at this point, I'm so lost maybe driving half way across the country is going to be enough distance to give me some perspective. Maybe I'll get Nana gimped early, and I'll have to figure out a way to claw my way out of it as Popo, as nothing. Maybe the nature of the climbers as a romantic pair will be too painful of a reminder for me to play at the highest level I'm capable. But maybe I'll do well and at least for a few days push back the future, whatever it may be, and have a small reminder of how powerful I felt with my fiancee by my side. I don't know what will happen, but I hope I have the ability to recognize the omens for what they are as they come.

And maybe if the time comes, she'll somehow read this and maybe understand just a bit better. Because ultimately I have too much pride to share this directly to her. Maybe when the timing is right, I might show her at some point. Regardless, for at least one more tournament, I'll play ICs for what they represent, at least to me. They are my one chance through love to do something great.

I'd like to close this with my favorite passage from another of my favorite books. It goes as follows: "We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance, and perseverance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint."

The Ice Climbers are a character. But for me now they are a character about perseverance. For me, they are a character about hope. And I hope to not disappoint.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
What, you beat my zelda LOL
No, Stephen (one of my short friends) played your Zelda with his Lucas and you showed him how to wavebounce.
Back then your CGs were inconsistent and you tripped twice by me dropping a naner between your grabs.
I definitely played and beat your ICs and we haven't played against each other since.

DeLux

Ok, the fact that it was the same day indicates to me that you're off because I definitely didn't play ICs at that day (other than against Fino as part of an exhibition). That was during the stage when I was playing Zelda or Lucas and not ICs :p

Your memory is off. Especially since if I ever dropped a game at the library, it would go remembered by the other patrons and they'd remind me (since they still remind of days I dropped various games for various reasons). I know I only dropped a game with Zelda that day though.

Edit:
Actually I don't really care if it happened or not, especially if it was library friendlies on either the HDTV or projector. If it makes you want to play more, then let's just say it did. If you continue to not come to tournaments though, I'll have to retake my stance it never happened. :p

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Lately, I've had a lot on my mind. I don't know exactly why I'm compelled to share all of this, but the timing for the revival of this thread in particular seemed to have uncanny timing. Almost providential timing. And a good book once told me, "Never stop dreaming, Follow the omens." So I shall oblige.

Ice Climbers get a lot of hate. For obvious reasons, people just hate the infinite and what it does to the game. Even most IC mains hate the character at some level, for various issues. One of them I see a lot is how arbitrary the AI for Nana acts.

I'm reminded of an exercise that I've come across in regards to perspective. The exercise goes as follows:

I'd guess that most players based on their attitudes would apply that to Brawl as "Nana, without her Popo, is nothing."

However, I'm a huge romantic at heart. I think there is something truly inspirational in theme about how Nana will try to run back to Popo when they are separated. And when they work together in group, they can work wonders. It's probably weird, but I always can sometimes hear flashes of the chorus of "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi when the ICs uses belay to the ledge ("Take my hand, we'll make it I swear"). When they are in harmony, their power is infinite, quite literally. There are evils at work and they try to tear them apart, but more often than not, they can always make it through together.

And for the longest time, I've been truly blessed to have the embodiment of Nana in my own life, with my fiancee. Truth be told, behind the act of bravado I put on around everyone I'm with, I am terrified of being considered and falling into that category of "ordinary". It was a situation where, at least locally, I was pretty good at this Super Smash Bros Brawl game, almost to the level of ascending to greatness. And I so badly wanted to ascend to the level of greatness at something; if not for my own glory but to at least impress her. I felt like she deserved to be with the world's best at something, and in the back of my mind I always used that as motivation to really pour my heart and soul into being great at the game in all aspects whether it was playing, hosting, or community building. Contrary to the idea of being "nothing", my figurative Nana is "everything" to me and I want to be able to at least give her "something" nobody else could.

I'd go as far as to say "Nana! Without her, Popo is nothing." And this is where the story starts to go to a dark place. Because a few days ago I've been put on notice that I might lose my fiancee. Relationship differences happen, and I asked her to think things over before making a final decision. Suddenly I find myself teetering at the edge, and watching as my real life embodiment of Nana pulls a Frigate Orpheon glitch and decides to not come back. And just like in the game, I feel powerless to stop it. Naturally I've been pretty devastated the last few days. But I've more or less been taking solace in the fact that I've been trying to make this thing work, even now until the end. But solace is only a small comfort, when you feel like you are nothing.

So for the first time in an extremely long time and after a lot of deliberation if it's worth going, I've decided I'm going to enter SKTAR 2 and use ICs for the entirety of the tournament, win or lose. Because at this point, I'm so lost maybe driving half way across the country is going to be enough distance to give me some perspective. Maybe I'll get Nana gimped early, and I'll have to figure out a way to claw my way out of it as Popo, as nothing. Maybe the nature of the climbers as a romantic pair will be too painful of a reminder for me to play at the highest level I'm capable. But maybe I'll do well and at least for a few days push back the future, whatever it may be, and have a small reminder of how powerful I felt with my fiancee by my side. I don't know what will happen, but I hope I have the ability to recognize the omens for what they are as they come.

And maybe if the time comes, she'll somehow read this and maybe understand just a bit better. Because ultimately I have too much pride to share this directly to her. Maybe when the timing is right, I might show her at some point. Regardless, for at least one more tournament, I'll play ICs for what they represent, at least to me. They are my one chance through love to do something great.

I'd like to close this with my favorite passage from another of my favorite books. It goes as follows: "We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance, and perseverance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint."

The Ice Climbers are a character. But for me now they are a character about perseverance. For me, they are a character about hope. And I hope to not disappoint.
Great read Delux! I see you've been through some stuff, and I didn't realize you had all of that going on. And btw, that passage is a bible verse haha: Romans 5:3-5. Is that the book you were talking about?

B0NK

Smash Lord
Delux your ICs looked great when I saw them at the tourney we were both at!

JB IV

Smash Cadet
It was while you were transitioning from Lucas to ICs. You actually dropped quite a few CGs back then. The point being that you weren't even half as good as you are now so it doesn't even matter what the outcome was. So Fino was the other guy you brought in that day who played MK? I haven't seen him at the few locals tournaments that I've been at. Pretty sure I just didn't recognize him at Hype II.

I'll be waiting on our rematch.

P.S. We're off topic.

DeLux

I didn't transition from Lucas to ICs >_>

JB IV

Smash Cadet
...I don't even know anymore. You told Stephen that you used Lucas before you started using ICs so I just assumed it was a transition.

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17

This is just simply beautiful. lol everyone gets on me calling me a TIER W**** and crap for playing ICS and MK, but if anything I just can't separate from ICS. They really are a symbol of hope, and what you can accomplish with ANOTHER person on your side. instead of saying infinites, have u ever just thought about how amazing it is for a character to be able to work together? ICS if you think about it (im only 17) can also be like marriage. Its frustrating, but at the same time when you make it through to the end, its amazing, you bring out the best of yourself.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Reasons I use Ice Climbers. (secondary)

1. Desync SHBlizzard
2. 9B
3. Dthrow>Fair spike on the edge
4. Fthrow>Hyphen Usmash

Also, SHIce Block and SHBlizzard alternations.

AdamToTheApple

Smash Rookie
NNID
AdamToTheApple
They fit my play style and they are insanely good. I tried many characters before this, but nothing made me feel the way I feel when I get a grab and I watch my opponent mash viciously. I love knowing they are stuck in an infinite unless I make an error. I guess it just comes down to this... I like being in control. One grab equating to death is intimating to some and I like knowing I have that control. People fear the grab because they know no matter how good they are once they are in a grab skill is no longer a factor until next stock. I feel in control with IC that's why I play and love them.

KAP22714

Smash Cadet
This may be an unpopular opinion of sorts. I've just had my second tourney as solo ICs, and the thing I remember most vividly is the waiting game. I like the intensity and strain that comes from knowing that a total of three mistakes from either player can decide the entire game (assuming a competent opponent and character of course). I admit, watching games like this isn't entirely enjoyable so I feel somewhat bad for the people that have to do so, but it is quite thrilling, akin to sharp positions in a game of chess.

Also DeSyncs. I ****ing love DeSyncs.

Nix

Smash Rookie
At first I was just curious about ICs' Chaingrabs, but then my purpse developed into showing people how cheap Brawl can be (especially those who make unsafe approaches that makes for an easy grab, in ICs case = death) If you've read M2K's Brawl rant he clearly show's disdain on ICs infinite CG w/c makes the game not fun

I don't troll a lot but it's sometimes funny while I'm chaingrabbing I see my friends doing things like:

A. Stare blankly at the screen
B. Rant as they helplessly get JV3 stocked
C. Calls your 1v1 matches "ICs training mode"
D. Mash your controller in the middle of a chaingrab (or unplug it lol)
E. Hear the disappointment when you pick ICs on select screen like "ok now I'd rather play soccer" or "stop being a *** and use sm1 else)
F. Drink a Mountain Dew as they let go of the controller and lets you finish the 2 other stocks

Tho personally I still find Brawl fun to play competitively, but since I played Project M and Melee I never went back. :) Just casuals.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Simply put, I was used to using them in Melee. They're my Melee mains so picking them up in Brawl was really easy. When I saw how high they placed on the tier list it was just icing on the cake.

chronoquairium

Smash Rookie
For me, it's just me wanting to humiliate opponents. I have mains and secondaries (I've cycled through, like, 15 different mains throughout the series by now), and I've finally settled on some good ones. Even still, I just like to use ICs to mess with my opponents from time to time; I don't often use them, but I usually/always just do it for disrespect/showing off. I can semi-effectively (at worst) play every member of the cast (exception of space-animals, I can't recover for crap), so some CGs are just icing on the cake, and just a bit of lulz for me.

tl;dr: Not my main, just in it for the chaingrabs to humiliate my opponent.

Top Bottom