• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your playing style?

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna know what everybody's playing style is. This isn't meant to be character specific. Describe what your style is, why do you play that way, which character's your style is effective against and it's pro's and con's. If it's one thing i've noticied when I'm watching videos, it's that no two people play the same way. I would describe mine but...well I don't wanna go first. LOL!

Superstar

Smash Champion
Actually, my style depends a lot on my character. However, my prime style seems to be defensive, waiting for the right opportunity. I also lean on combos, mostly for my Main. I sometimes go for an in your face strat to lure the opponents, and depend heavily on my shield.

Mario (Main): Whem I'm Mario, his approach is not that good, so I always fight defensive, going offensive occasionally. I use shield wavedashes to approach. I always go for the deadly grab combos. I almost never use fireballs, and resort to D-Smash more than F-Smash. I pulse walk to fake out.

Pikachu: I go for an in your face mentality, also sticking to defensive tactics. I use thunderjolts to stun and lure the opponent to attack, afterwards wavedashing , shielding, running for them, or up-air. I am more offensive as Pikachu than Mario, abusing his speed, and going for combos. I go for SHFFL ANA and SHFFL AFA, and the occasional up-smash. I pulse walk to fakeout as well.

Samus: I missle spam, a ton. When in close range, I use the downsmash and forward smash to knock them away, so I can double missle. I also run for them sometimes, and use wavedashes to weave in and out. I really enjoy crouch cancelling.

Link: I take a similar approach as Samus, instead running in and shooting projectiles. I am more offensive with Link than Mario, Pikachu, and Samus, really enjoying the SHFFL forward air. I go for bomb combos, and grab combos as well. I am trying to get rid of my out of shield UP B habit [I also tend to jump in air as well], as it gets me in a load of trouble.

Fox: My worst character, I never put much time into him. When Fox, I am agressive, abusing jumping out of shines, and occasionally waveshining. I really enjoy pulse walking, and I suicide, too much. I can only control him when I am really on.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I would know if I didn't have to battle CPU's all the time! xD Nah, but I see my strategy as pretty aggressive. Pick up the punches as far as it's able. As I never battle humans, I have never really developed a defensive strategy.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I'm passive aggressive (unless playing the computer). I make the player come to me, and then try and mess him up from there. I generally try to hit them, rack up some damage on them, and then run away. I also love WDing, to the point of practicing with Bowser to the point I can WD consistently with him. I also have a tendency to use my double jump, which is a pro and a con.

The good points about this is that it is kinda low-risk. As long as I don't let them trick me, I do well, without taking too much damage. I don't deal alot of damage at once, and it makes it hard to deliver a final blow.

Unless I'm fox, then I just go really aggressive, but I'm not that good with him, so...

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I use grab combos and juggling with Link, I also spam projectiles if I'm far away, but my strategy mostly depends on the type of person I'm playing. The cons are the lag time if the hookshot misses, or the projectiles being countered. My strategy works well against people who fall fast or who fall really slow, and people who don't have long range attacks. It's not as good against characters like Mario or Luigi. To bad my friend mains Doc:)

cemo

white walker
I plug in my controller, then proceed to **** them viciously.
And then we play smash.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I plug in my controller, then proceed to **** them viciously.
And then we play smash.
Disturbing but awesome... i like the strategy haha

Style is a weird subject, I don't really think about it I just try to beat people.
/ thread

Haha no but seriously its true, you never have a style it depends on who you play.. unless thats a style in itself, a countering style...

But then, that whats all the pro's would have, an adaptive counter style.. its what you should opt for..

Banks

Smash Hero
i play like a banks. meaning i take money from people and put it in the bank....oh the humor never stops!

cheesyjohn

Smash Cadet
My style would be reffered to as "NOOBISH NUBBED " by about 100% of the people i play, when i play as Falco (main) i normally play an all out stratagy, if i can get him into a u -d-f smash combo and rack up a good 35+ damage then i do it ^^ (only works in the beggining, where the chars don't go as far. i mix in the occasional SHL , even though my controller is messed up and shoots back wards, easy for a nice retreat. I rely on my f-smash and "ph33r t3h sp1k3" move for K0ing, and occasionaly u/d smash and b/u air when i feel like it. I would describe my style as a extremely adaptive style, be cause i can easily find their technique combos and adapt to avoid.

Mario(dual): i mostly fire ball spam at long and get them in the down smash for some air comboing. I mostly use nair/bair for aerial K0ing and fair to rack up damage, i seldom wave dash and only mix it in randomly, i use f smash, cape and bthrow to kill. I RARELY USE DAIR, only mixing it in on the random accident or the occasional "what the hell" moment. I find mario very comfortable on the random battle, where i have no idea what the enemies going to do, whearas mario can easily adapt to fit the needs.

Banks

Smash Hero
cheesyjohn, sounds like whoever you play against blows and needs to learn how to not get hit with three smashes in a row.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Your style really has to adapt, depending on who you're facing, and if you play multiple characters, who you're using, but I suppose generally as a rule of thumb I play pretty aggressively, with a hint of hit n' run.

!! GO BLASTER SPAM !!

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
I play a very agressive style when I use Falco. Nonstop attacks basically. If I hit them to far away with an attack I SHL over to them instead of just run. Lots of shine combos and smashes to get them off of the side, then more lasers to force them either low or high so it makes it easier to ledgeguard.

My Marth is a little more defensive. I usually stand back and wait for them to come to me but vs characters with projectiles like Samus or Falco I usually am more agressive to make it where they have less time to use their missles/lasers, but I'm still not near as aggressive as I am with Falco.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
ill tell u how i play smash.

defensively. smart. i try to keep my character spaced out of range of attacks while my opponent can attack.

i wait for an opportunity to strike. if he has his shield up, i try and grab. if he misses an L cancel and is lagging, i punish. if he does a B move and cannot retailate due to move lag, he gets comboed. if hes off the ledge, i am off trying to kil him. if he doesnt sweetspot his recovery, he dies every time :) "being a link main, usually via spin attack spike. people i play with will attest to this"

since i play projectile characters as my main and secondary (link and samus), i am spamming to cut off angles and limit options.

i try to psyche him into doing things as well. i execute attacks i know wont hit to see what he does. i test what moves will cause what reactions. i try and make him miss with wavedashing backward and dash dancing.

i learn what my opponent expects me to do in a situation, then i do something different.

gota be smart.

Banks

Smash Hero
if i had to say what my style is id say aggressive, because some people just run around and wait for openings, but i just go in more than i dash dance around like a ballerina. meh

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Wow! I guess style is pretty much adapting to whoever you're playing against. That's generally my style. I try to base the way I play a match off of whoever I'm fighting against. I usually tend to hang back a while when the match starts and see what they do. I guess you can call that defensive. Since I main with Kirby move around the map alot, hoping to find an opening. On fast fallers I tend to dash grab, and u-tilt to bairs.
I second with mario, usually spam fireballs and make my opponent come to me. Then i'll commence with the shffl u-airs and whatnot. Glad to get some feedback from you guys. Some of the strats sound interesting enough to base mine off of. Thanks!

cheesyjohn

Smash Cadet
cheesyjohn, sounds like whoever you play against blows and needs to learn how to not get hit with three smashes in a row.

belive it or not i actually play against my friend who is fox and i seldom charge up those samshes, i use forward, and hit him up, then down, then up, sadly its true =\ i only do it at low percentages where i know they wont fly away

Banks

Smash Hero
belive it or not i actually play against my friend who is fox and i seldom charge up those samshes, i use forward, and hit him up, then down, then up, sadly its true =\ i only do it at low percentages where i know they wont fly away

does he not tech at all? i suppose its possible with the correct - incorrect - DI lolll

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
With Captain Falcon I:

Evade
Watch
Prod
Wait

Throw -> Knee
Honestly, one of the best Captain Falcon Strategies I know of. The Knee is deadly. Nice.

cb_marth, I guess If you main as a marth a good strat would be speedy attacks. I wouldn't know though.

Razgriz, Your strat sounds good against people who are very impatient. Who do you generally play as?

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Yes. I play Link. I stay pretty mobile with bombs, and spike with the spin attack sometimes. I can move pretty fast for someone playing Link.

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I tried playing with Link but I can't seem to speed him up like I want too. That's when I tried with Young Link, but I failed at that too. Projectile's are big with link I suppose. Then again projectiles are important to any char that has them. I really need a better way to beat a projectile spammer though. This is what my weakness to my style is. If I hang back for too long I get projectile spammed.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
It all depends on what character I'm using. If I'm using like Fox, I go really agro and just keep on hitting the player (irl not in the game...fox makes me get pumped up). If I'm using like Sheik I try and be careful... but I'm still pretty agressive. My style = agressive then.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik: Depends on the other guy. I tend to go for the CPU shenanigans (Jab to Cross to.... Jab. To another Jab. Jab. OHWAIT-DOWNSMASH!) for some reason. I like to do dash-to-wavedash or walk-to-wavedash to throw off timing with sudden changes in speed. Most of my game is getting grabs or just launching them into the air for one of Sheik's 253 combos that end in Fair. So I would say I'm aggressive against defensive types, and defensive against aggressive types.

Peach: I use lots of Turnips and try to get a combo hit through the stun time. If they don't approach effectively, though, I just keep tossing vegetables until they SD four times in complete despair. (NOTE: This hasn't happened yet : ( ). Since I'm not very quick on Peach's attacks, I'm mostly defensive with her until it comes to the KO hit or edgeguard.

Roy: I SHFFL Fairs until Captain Falcon knees me. Then I fast-fall, forget to hit B, and eat a Falcon Punch head-on.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I attempt to beat the **** out of other people. If I don't succeed, I attempt to beat the **** out of them in a different way. Repeat as necessary.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i kill the other player.
then i SD at 20%
while they have a laugh attack I kill them again.

tey get mad. i grab the edge and start infinite stalling until they get pissed then i fake a siezure with my hands/ while they stare in awe i kill them again.

i SD again. I ***** a lot, which then makes me play well due to my latent magical abilites.

I win.

do what I do, and you too shall beat someone with the name tag of Ken.

Rebel, I have a favor to ask of you...:D

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
(Fox)

Evasive, for the most part. It seems that in NYC, it's looked down upon, but whatever, that's just irritation on their part, which is my goal. Against certain characters, I've to be offensive, especially against Falco. Even then, I'm still evasive, especially to avoid the Forward Smash. I try to force the player to roll or tech; I love predicting where they'll go, and I get 10 degrees warmer inside if I predict right. Against aggressive players, I get a bit more aggressive as well, or I find myself getting SHFFL'D out of nowhere.

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you how to play. Your style is YOUR style. Keep it.

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman
I play link and unlike most links i dont go for mingames i try to just be fast i know u think hes very slow but if u keep moving and wvedashin good he can be very fast

Thino

Smash Master
As a falcon player , I'm pretty aggressive with SHFFled nairs grabs and tech-chases.
I never heard about a defensive falcon

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
A defensive falcon. Never seen one either. It seems alot of people play more aggresive than defensive. I've never been good at being agressive so I don't play that way. Although, sudden speed changes in your movement, to throw your opponent off, sounds pretty effetive.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Aaah, and there I almost went and posted a thread about this subject.
Magic revival!

I was hoping for more in depth thinking, though. Style is a strange thing. Do people really have that much of an own style, is it all dependent on the situation, can all styles just be categorized as aggressive or defensive?
One interesting thing I heard Gimpy say was that he didn't play technical at all, implying that he's all about mindgames. Hmmm.

Well, I've been trying to find something that defines my style, and I guess it can be summed up as "mostly smarts".
I'm not technical at all, I don't wavedash or even L-cancel or, heck, even spot-dodge. But I do know quite exactly what attack has what effect where why when and so on, and how to use it. I can predict the movement of my opponent and of projectiles and hit them in-flight while approaching, then rush in for the combo. I also tend to predict the movements of the other for my slower attacks, and I keep myself unpredictable by fast-falling, hiding the fact that I still have a double-jump, then using it to make their attack miss, and generally mixing things up.

Once I get aggresive, I use mostly aerials and some smashes, which might be a relic of my times playing SSB64, where all you had to do to win against computers was smash... I recently started using tilts in order to combo ( good old u-tilt, you never failed me ) or to get them out of my face. Once I learned to use the shield and grabs, I never stopped using them excessively.

My characters of choice are Young Link, Luigi, Pikachu and Ness, although I like playing with a *lot* of characters.

Top Bottom