• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did the slang word "bunk" start to suddenly become so popular?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Question is in the title. This peculiar word intrigues me because I have been hearing it on some shows I watch (Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Wizards of Waverly Plave, etc.). I tried to google and wikipedia it, but Wikipedia does not have an article on it yet, and the only thing I could find on bunk as far as history goes was something about Henry Ford using it to describe history even though it did not answer how it suddenly became popular.

Do any of you all know?

Grime

Smash Rookie
bunk
1. adj. really bad or aggravating. "Dad told me to go to my room. he's so bunk!" 2. adj. something bad, boring, stupid, etc. "This town is bunk, there's nothing to do." 3. untrue. "He said he didn’t boost my kicks! That’s bunk!"
As for why it became more popular? Simple. Producers started seeing it on the internet and decided to 'pioneer' it onto the big screen like any other slang. Same reason why we're only now starting to see common abbreviated 'net lingo appear in commercials. Hell, the Oxygen channel even uses it as their slogan now: "Live Out Loud."

I give it a year tops before somebody says "for the win" or "FTW" on air.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I honestly have never heard someone use "bunk" in my life, besides a bunk bed.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
As for why it became more popular? Simple. Producers started seeing it on the internet and decided to 'pioneer' it onto the big screen like any other slang. Same reason why we're only now starting to see common abbreviated 'net lingo appear in commercials. Hell, the Oxygen channel even uses it as their slogan now: "Live Out Loud."

I give it a year tops before somebody says "for the win" or "FTW" on air.
Honestly, for the win is actually a cool slang term (unlike bunk which I myself find stupid... I mean just say crap) and I would not mind the word being used on air considering I would just find it funny AS LONG AS the general populace is smart enough to know that the media did not pioneer the word and that little kids don't start spewing it in public (and yes, I know that it would be terribly ludicrous to expect the last part).

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Honestly, for the win is actually a cool slang term (unlike bunk which I myself find stupid... I mean just say crap) and I would not mind the word being used on air considering I would just find it funny AS LONG AS the general populace is smart enough to know that the media did not pioneer the word and that little kids don't start spewing it in public (and yes, I know that it would be terribly ludicrous to expect the last part).
In my opinion, "for the win" has been beaten into the ground. Much like "lol", people use it like a period. There's no spice in it anymore.

And if I heard someone on TV say "FTW" in any form other than satire, I would unleash the beast all over the nearest living thing to me.

Because that would be bunk, dawg.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I've heard bunk being used for a long time now (like...years) in very scarce amounts.

But I had always thought it was a synonym for "crap" ("Don't get the grilled cheese—it's absolute bunk").

So if nothing else, I learned something.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
never heard of it, and don't plan on using it either
"bunk" sorry, I had too

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'd say bunk became popular in the 1930's to 40's.
Well, I read an article stating Henry Ford actually used the word, but I don't think it started to be used even semi-frequently until this 2007/08. Otherwise, use of the word would have most likely ceased by now due to the changing nature of the English language.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Well, I read an article stating Henry Ford actually used the word, but I don't think it started to be used even semi-frequently until this 2007/08.

Actually, they were using it semi-often at least in my early high school years, and that was quite some time ago now.

Bunk is a pretty common word t'me.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I never knew there was such a slang term for the word "bunk" such a fad these days eh, are there other slang terms I should know about *not kid*. Well the only instance of me listening to this word was in the military, which something you sleep on, even in college it's called a bunk bed, but i'm sure many of you knew that already.

Top Bottom