• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did Wario become "top-tier"?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I've been AWOL from Smashboards for a while due to vacation but apparently Wario has now been added to the list of hated "overused" top-tier characters (Snake, MK, etc.). I must have missed something because when I left a month ago Wario was still high-mid tier. Has there been a surge of horrible Wario scrubs on Wi-Fi or something to deserve this hate? What gives?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've been AWOL from Smashboards for a while due to vacation but apparently Wario has now been added to the list of hated "overused" top-tier characters (Snake, MK, etc.). I must have missed something because when I left a month ago Wario was still high-mid tier. Has there been a surge of horrible Wario scrubs on Wi-Fi or something to deserve this hate? What gives?
Quite the contrary... there've just been a handful of really good Wario players winning lots of tournaments. There are still not large numbers of them, and scrubs can't play Wario b/c they just C-stick which is easy to punish and they have no way to spam/camp. Also... aside from people I've seen on here, I have yet to see another Wario player on Gamebattles.

Generally tiers are decided by tournament victories more than use... and when you have people like Futile and Shell representing a character, it's only natural that the chara get ranked fairly high.

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman
It's funny, because Wario is not overused in the slightest, requires a lot of precision in order to fight really effectively with, and doesn't really have any OMFG CHEAP moves, yet people will lump him in with Metaknight and Snake.

Wario is just a perfect example of a really solid, balanced out character.

clowsui

Smash Legend

you are being absolutely RIDICULOUS

read the thread again. THE WHOLE THREAD.

and THINK before you post -_-

EDIT:

"That's exactly the point. I'm talking to people who play Wario because someone else did well with him, not because they themselves do well with him." Jam Stunna

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman

you are being absolutely RIDICULOUS

read the thread again. THE WHOLE THREAD.

and THINK before you post -_-

EDIT:

"That's exactly the point. I'm talking to people who play Wario because someone else did well with him, not because they themselves do well with him." Jam Stunna
EDIT: Never mind my original response, I thought that post was directed at me (So arrogant I am).

Still, I really haven't seen any Wario bandwagon-hoppers. Maybe they don't come around here much. Nonetheless, it's not going to do any of us any good to look down upon these people for the choices they made. If Bob is a nice person, but played as Wario for the wrong reasons, there is really no reason to mock him for playing Wario because he doesn't like him for the same reasons.

(Now, if the person's attitude blows too, that's a different story.)

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
im just curious, your saying using c-stick is bad?? or over using it is bad?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
im just curious, your saying using c-stick is bad?? or over using it is bad?
Generally a lot of the bad players that use a character b/c someone else can use it well live off of spamming the C-stick and B moves (or tilts if they're Snake)... generally there's mass rolling and/or spotdodging involved too.

This stuff doesn't work in the slightest as Wario, though, haha... people are finally realizing that he's a good character, but he's still difficult to excel with, and definitely not just a pick up and win chara like Snake/MK/Game and Watch.

I use C-stick... but I don't use it to abuse only 1 or 2 moves (i.e. as bad players do), and it's pretty much necessary for the fastfall up airs... it also helps w/ weaving.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
C-stick spamming+Wario=bad

A-stck spamming+Wario=ultra super ****

remember kids, if yolu wanna ****, make your C-stick tilts.

*this post is approved by some people...ok, just me*

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
ya PhantomX and The Executive :) i agree with all that, spamming bike is dumb, but i just wanna throw this out there, biting, i mean if you could get your opponent in it a lot its not bad to spam, because it allows a lot of combo set ups and some chasing, what do you think?
Oh and fast fall up airs are ridiculous sometimes because characters with reach will almost always grab you, just throwing that out there as well :)

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
pudge, i have never been grabbed out of a fastfall upair that i correctly executed. ibky when i miss thier sheild. though then my friend plays pit who doesnt grab too far.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think he's top now cause of that guy in california that's ****** every tournament there is out there, what's his name again?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I think he's top now cause of that guy in california that's ****** every tournament there is out there, what's his name again?
Futile has really been winning as much since DDD ***** Wario.

Also, I use the C-stick for all aerials except Nair.

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
dinhotheone if you can combo them into a fast fall up air yeah, thats no problem, but if there shielding, you wont get the fast fall upair off, im saying if they shield right as you come in for the up air. ya c-stick for all areials cept Nair duh is just too ridiculous because you never have to stop for that moment which is less than a split second which can sometimes b a mistake if not having used c-stick
futile is amazing, ill admit it, but sometimes when u watch his videos you can say, "oh he coulda done this or that" but hey, you can say that with a lot of videos, i dont think there will ever be a flawless video

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure most of you here won't really care but you are talking about bandwagon hoppers and such and i guess this is a good thread to ask this on.

Basicly the game is only out here in the UK and way back when i knew a few of the characters i found all of my favourite Nintendo characters were in the game and all characters that i would want to main, but heres the deal.

Now that all of you that have the game in the US or have a non-pal coppy have decided whos generally considered "high and low tier" would people see me as being a teir hore on the forums if i mained Wario. It's just playing with him is great fun as are the other 3 characters I'm intrested in and they are all my favourite Nintendo characters. (DK, Diddy and Yoshi)

So basiclly what I'm saying is I dont want to be found cheap or tier-whoring but he's just full of ownage :laugh: and would you all see me as tier whoring?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm sure most of you here won't really care but you are talking about bandwagon hoppers and such and i guess this is a good thread to ask this on.

Basicly the game is only out here in the UK and way back when i knew a few of the characters i found all of my favourite Nintendo characters were in the game and all characters that i would want to main, but heres the deal.

Now that all of you that have the game in the US or have a non-pal coppy have decided whos generally considered "high and low tier" would people see me as being a teir hore on the forums if i mained Wario. It's just playing with him is great fun as are the other 3 characters I'm intrested in and they are all my favourite Nintendo characters. (DK, Diddy and Yoshi)

So basiclly what I'm saying is I dont want to be found cheap or tier-whoring but he's just full of ownage :laugh: and would you all see me as tier whoring?
People that like a character are generally not bandwagon hoppers, besides, you have all the proof you need in that you play Yoshi (me too!), so you obviously don't do it for the tiers.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
Honestly ...I dont think Wario should be higher than high-mid tier. Hes is my main, and a lot of people are really good with him, but ...idk overall he just doesnt seem like a good character. I feel like i have to work harder for my wins with Wario, than i do with others.
(And, NO, its not because im nooby with him)

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
but isnt that better??? knowing you can beat poeple with a character you have to work really hard with?? its really rewarding in the end that you could beat a bi*** like game and watch

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
but isnt that better??? knowing you can beat poeple with a character you have to work really hard with?? its really rewarding in the end that you could beat a bi*** like game and watch
True, my only problem is how slow paced my battles with G&W are, I play like I would with Ganon, but I waste alot of time taunting and showing off!

MC=3

Smash Cadet
*facepalm*

Wario is not overused. In fact, everytime I see another Wario I think "**** yeah" compared to when I mained Meta Knight; and I saw so much that I'd think "Hell no" everytime I saw one. Wario needs more attention, as most of the Wario players I've seen know how to play him well.

The C-Stick is pretty much the only way to land smashes on a player that's at a good competetive level. Wario can use Fsmash's inviciblity frames to land a fully charged smash on an unexpecting opponent on the edge, but after that they will catch on.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
The C-Stick is pretty much the only way to land smashes on a player that's at a good competetive level. Wario can use Fsmash's inviciblity frames to land a fully charged smash on an unexpecting opponent on the edge, but after that they will catch on.
Once at my pals house I was the only guy with a GC controller and volunteered to play with the wiimote and chuk, being overall the best I didn't think it would really effect me but boy was I wrong.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i disagree. I don't use C-stick for smashes, and it's fine for me. a flick with A and the directional pad is just as fast.

As for Wario, he may well get into high tier (i don't think top though). however, it won't be like in melee, where the cheap and easy characters were in high. Wario may be in high tier, but that would be from hard work, not cheap and easy tactics.

Top Bottom