• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you first play Super Smash Bros.?

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
Oh, man I wish I could remember the exact day Super Smash Bros. changed my life. That would be so cool.

Anyways, when I first played Smash Bros. and when it changed my life was some time in the early part of 2002. Shortly after my family and I moved from California to Arkansas (btw I am now back in California, thank God.) I met my friend who liked to play video games just as much as I did. One day I invited her over so we could play some video games. She told me she was going to bring a cool game for the N64 by the name of Super Smash Bros. I had heard of that video game before and I truely thought it was just a rip off of Super Mario Bros. (I came to this conclusion by the name only, I had never seen the game before, and I was 11 years old so I was very naive.) When she brought it over, I looked at the box cover and said, "Whoa, is that Pikachu? So wait this game has all the Nintendo All-Stars in it? Oh, yes I have been wanting Nintendo to make a game like this for awhile!"
She told me that if I liked this game that I should probably buy the sequel Super Smash Bros Melee for the Gamecube. We started to play, I was Pikachu, and that is when my life changed forever. (Pikachu has been my main ever since.)
Very, very soon after playing SSB with her I went to a nearby game store and bought Super Smash Bros. AND Super Smash Bros Melee.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I belive it's safe to say my teeth are only this healthy today due to the fact that my dentist had that 64 and SSB lol

Sakurai suports good dental care ^-^

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
I remember seeing the commercial and telling my mom I wanted that game being six she said ok and ignored me. But when she took my brothers to a game shop I begged her for it because it had all the characters i knew on the front (except sonic lol) Went home played it and kept getting owned by level ones lol.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I rented it soon after its release, because the commercials got me SO! EXCITED!

At the time I was big into Yoshi's Story, and my next-door neighbor (one of few people I've played multiplayer games with...ever) and I were all Yoshi (me) vs. Pikachu (her). But she always complained when I beat her, lol. I didn't care if I lost, I just wanted to have fun.

I REALLY wish I owned SSB. :( I hope they release it for Virtual Console.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
do you guys realize how old Sakurai is compared to any of us if he was old enough to actually MAKE it years before it was released, and we were all little kids.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
do you guys realize how old Sakurai is compared to any of us if he was old enough to actually MAKE it years before it was released, and we were all little kids.
Aw man. It feels like it was such a long time ago, and yet...not. My video gaming youth, where did it go~? I miss it~

I miss abusing all of Kirby's moves, lol.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I was first introduced to Smash 64, I'm not sure when. Within the first year it came out. Then 2-3 Years Later I bought Melee THEN my Gamecube (no GC, was crazy, thought Melee would run out of stock, which it didn't.

I remember those good 64 times:
-Lots of smashing w/ friends, mostly Kirby ditto battles, sigh good times. Lone Kirbys in Melee now

Also there was:
-Star Fox 64
-Kirby Crystal Shards
-Bomberman 64 (heh throw bomb on top of someone's head to stun then throw them off the cliff)
-Mario Kart 64
-All 64 Mario Partys
-Mario Tennis
-Ocarina of Time
also Pokemon Cards, all Pokemon games...
-and more lost more, good times, good times, miss them.

John5

Smash Apprentice
My friend had it for his N64, and the game featured Donkey Kong fighting Mario again. Which was awesome. The commercial also brought a good amount of positive attention to it.

slashinroy32

Smash Cadet
one night while i was getting ready to **** my cousin, i was feeling like a i had to take a massive ****, so i went to the bathroom and looked at my massive bowel movement when i was through, only to see a gamecube disk label 'smash bros melee'

then i got pro and owned mew2kid and koreanBLUJ

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Your the 2nd person to have a dentist's office with an N64, how cool!
my old doctor had a N64 in it, contoller Germ spreading FTW:laugh:

also I started playing the game when I saw the game in a rental store and picked it up.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
pretty emotional actually...

first time i played smash, day it came out, just got home from school and thought my mom was gettin it for me, came home, she said she didn't get it yet, i was buggin, 8th grade, spoiled brat, told her that we need to get it now, she actually had it the whole time and wanted to surprise me after i finished my homework, i complained soo much that i ruined the surprise and she was just like "here, happy?"
My mom died three years ago, now im 19 and i regret that moment in my life ever since...

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Maybe a few weeks after it came out at my cousins house. I was seven. I got it shortly after I received an N64 for Christmas that year (OH MY GOD NINTENDO SIXTY-FOOOOOOUUUR!) with Donkey Kong 64.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Well I saw the commercial and rented it, and was like, "Meh, it's alright."
Then my friend bought it and I played it some more, and realized I misjudged it.

That's about it.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I saw the review for SSB64 in a magazine, thought it was the greatest concept ever, rented it with a friend, and realized I was right.

shizzlee

Smash Apprentice
I remember the commercial for SSB64, and then I knew that I had to have it. I bought it on its release date, and I stayed up for like 24 hours playing the thing.

Mazui

Smash Cadet
My brother had an N64 with Smash Bros.
First i was like, what is this?
But when i played it myself i got addicted. :laugh:

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
I was a bit of a late starter. I was strictly all Sony and Sega (to an extent, I only had the Mega Drive) before 2002 when I got my GBA with Pokemon Silver and Mario Advance 2 so I never had a N64, and I didn't have any friends that had one either. Wish I had one now, lol. I got Melee after reading about it in a magazine or something at the beginning of 2004, just after getting my Gamecube for Christmas. I bought it because it had Mewtwo and Yoshi in it. Melee also encouraged me to play the Fire Emblem, Kirby and even the Legend of Zelda series.

tl;dr - I got Melee in January 2004 after hearing that Mewtwo was in it.

Banzai_Kitten

Smash Cadet
I was at my cousin's house (for a b-day party I think) and his friend brought an N64 and Smash. I was like 7 or 8 at the time and they were in their teens. I was watching it and thought it looked awesome. This was back when I didn't even know who Kirby, Samus, C. Falcon, and Ness were. Eventually I got a Gamecube, saw the demo for SSBM, got it for Christmas, and the rest is history.

Falco121

Smash Rookie
super smash bros

i got smash because me and my friend played the 64 version and it was

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
At my uncles house on about 2002 i'd guess
i first saw it played in about 2000(man, gotta love the N64)
I bought my own copy of 64 late 2004
melee early 2005

man, idk what i played before these games

Best101

Smash Ace
Saw the commercial on TV and got it the very next day. My N64 didn't have any sound the first 2 days I had it, but it was still fun to play.

WiiwanttoBrawl

Smash Apprentice
I rented it one time, it already had everything unlocked and i played it non-stop, but my mom accidentally erased the save and i didn't know how to get the charcters again!:( god i remember Yoshi's target test being practically impossible, lol!

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
What were the circumstances surrounding your first experience with Smash Bros.?
Did a friend recommend it, did you rent it, did you see someone else playing it, etc.?
Who did you play as first?
ummmm...saw the commercial...fell in love with it? Who the heck wouldnt buy the game after seeing the commercial

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
SHortly after the game came out my friend had me try it. It wasn't much fun. I couldn't tell you why. I read the game manual when he was eating and noticed Samus was a girl. He came back down and played as Samus. About halfway through the match he was trying to surprise me by telling me Samus was a girl. I told him I knew that, it was in the manual after all. He was mad. it was fun.

Probably a year after that a friend brought it to my house and I actually had fun playing. I got my family to buy it and got them hooked.

When Melee came out I played at the first friends house and was horrid.(Friend 2 had moved to kentucky by this point, maybe a bit after) I moved and got a GCN a little later. Owning a game automatically makes you better at it. I proceeded to be a decent match for my new friends, and am now among the best people among my friends.
I beat the third best Melee player in the state in Brawl the other day. First day either of us had played. It was a good time. I'm glad I'm not gonna go through the sucktastic phase I did w/ the other games.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I saw the commercial in 1999, but it wasn't the singing one, it just had a bunch of character flashes and a brief clip of them fighting, I thought it was awesome so I went out a rented it. Liked it enough so I got it in September for my Birthday.

First time I played it I played as Mario on single player mode, I remember setting the difficulty to very easy with 5 lives and proceeded through the stages until I got to Metal Mario and got owned.

I was super hyped about Melee in 2001 but my parents wouldn't buy me a gamecube so I didn't buy it until I got a job in 2004, it was like one of the first things I ever bought with my first paychecks. (Yeah took me like 2 to save up enough money to get it, lol)

greengoldmelo

Smash Rookie
When i saw the commercial of smash 64 ...i was instantly hooked. Been playing it since i was in the 4th grade...and im class of 07. Longest time ive ever played a series.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I rented the original SSB64 one weekend and played the hell out of it. I never bought SSB64 afterwards, as I moved and had no friends in the area to play with, but I did buy a Gamecube just for Melee the May after the Gamecube was released.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was interested in buying Super Smash Bros. after seeing the fighter guide in a Nintendo Power issue.

I was intrigued by the concept of a simple fighting game that has you pit Nintendo mascots against each other, which made it the perfect game for a casual gamer such as myself, after being turned off by the other complex entries in the genre.

The funny thing is, I had NEVER played F-Zero or Earthbound at the time, so seeing unknown protagonists from those games as unlockables was a bit of a pleasant surprise for me.

Top Bottom