• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Everything you do can tell me a little about yourself. Doesn't matter if it's a video game or not.

Me is a guru.

More people play Brawl. That's why there's more tournies for it. Not because it's more competative. Some people have **** as brains.

I don't know where peoples standards went. Time changes everything...
everthing I do huh? I could be putting on an act, wich would mean I am telling you a little about somebaody else. And with more people comes more compition aka competitive people, wich leads to competitive gameplay, also check you brain before comenting on someone elses.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
everthing I do huh? I could be putting on an act, wich would mean I am telling you a little about somebaody else. And with more people comes more compition aka competitive people, wich leads to competitive gameplay, also check you brain before comenting on someone elses.
More people =/= more competitive

If we had a Rock Paper Scissors tourny with lots of people. Would that make it more competitive? It's still the same game, just with more people playing it.

My Brain is completly functional FYI. Since I haven't left Melee for Brawl.

Wrath`

Smash Master
More people =/= more competitive

If we had a Rock Paper Scissors tourny with lots of people. Would that make it more competitive? It's still the same game, just with more people playing it.

My Brain is completly functional FYI. Since I haven't left Melee for Brawl.
more people = competitive, look up the webster defintion, not dictionary dot com, yes if more people play R/P/S, then it becomes a competive sport because it is put on the map as competitive, the had a RPS comp for 250,000 2-3 years ago, thus creating compititon wich int urn leads to competitiveness.

also your brain is not fucntional because it can not adapt to the level brawl is on, therefore your mind satys melee, and survival of the fittest will own you, for melee will die out.

Laijin

Smash Hero
What I think NeBz is trying to say is that Brawl takes very little skill to learn and play well in comparison to other fighting games. More people like it because its much easier, it has new content, and most importantly: its a new. Everyone liked Melee as a casual game, so its no wonder brawl exploded into something that big.

People who think melee is better than brawl normally say that because it is so easy to become good at in comparison to other popular competitive fighting games(Like Melee, Guilty Gear, Third Strike, MvC2, etc etc etc).
I personally dislike brawl because of that. Anyone can pick up this game and become good at it in a VERY short amount of time. The space between complete n00b and awesome player is very close to each other because that complete n00b can become an awesome player in just a week(or even much less) of dedicated practice even if it's their first time ever touching the game.
The game takes almost no skill to learn. It is severly dumbed down from melee.
So you can pretty much call it "Melee: For ******* :O"

In a game where Ice Climbers are obnoxiously broken with chain grabs that take almost no time to learn, where DDD can chain grab half of the game and Falco can chain grab the other half, where the gayest playstyles i've ever seen in any fighting game are produced: "Im gonna pick Wolf and shoot lazer beamz at you!", "I'm gonna pick Zelda and spam my foward B. Oh no. If you get close to me im gonna chain combo you with d-tilt and then kill you with my up smash and downsmash, which I spam too!".

Anyways. Im sure you get my point by now.
Brawl is a competitive fighting game for people who don't like to put much technical or mind game effort in their fighting games.
Its competitive fighting for old people. :]

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
more people = competitive, look up the webster defintion, not dictionary dot com, yes if more people play R/P/S, then it becomes a competive sport because it is put on the map as competitive, the had a RPS comp for 250,000 2-3 years ago, thus creating compititon wich int urn leads to competitiveness.

also your brain is not fucntional because it can not adapt to the level brawl is on, therefore your mind satys melee, and survival of the fittest will own you, for melee will die out.
My mind can't adapt for Brawl? Seriuosly, Brawl was made so slow so the likes of you can comprehend what's happening. Melee was too fast for your puny brains.

So be it. More people = More competitive . But,
Deeper Better game = higher quality of competitiveness

What I think NeBz is trying to say is that Brawl takes very little skill to learn and play well in comparison to other fighting games. More people like it because its much easier, it has new content, and most importantly: its a new. Everyone liked Melee as a casual game, so its no wonder brawl exploded into something that big.

People who think melee is better than brawl normally say that because it is so easy to become good at in comparison to other popular competitive fighting games(Like Melee, Guilty Gear, Third Strike, MvC2, etc etc etc).
I personally dislike brawl because of that. Anyone can pick up this game and become good at it in a VERY short amount of time. The space between complete n00b and awesome player is very close to each other because that complete n00b can become an awesome player in just a week(or even much less) of dedicated practice even if it's their first time ever touching the game.
The game takes almost no skill to learn. It is severly dumbed down from melee.
So you can pretty much call it "Melee: For ******* :O"

In a game where Ice Climbers are obnoxiously broken with chain grabs that take almost no time to learn, where DDD can chain grab half of the game and Falco can chain grab the other half, where the gayest playstyles i've ever seen in any fighting game are produced: "Im gonna pick Wolf and shoot lazer beamz at you!", "I'm gonna pick Zelda and spam my foward B. Oh no. If you get close to me im gonna chain combo you with d-tilt and then kill you with my up smash and downsmash, which I spam too!".

Anyways. Im sure you get my point by now.
Brawl is a competitive fighting game for people who don't like to put much technical or mind game effort in their fighting games.
Its competitive fighting for old people. :]
Excatly!

I just played Melee with my brother. It was so much fun. :D

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
I thought Sakurai was a good man...
Until he nerfed Jiggz.
Then, I knew that Brawl wasn't going to be that great.

Jiggz rocked in Melee.
And I can't even play Jiggz right.
It must be the green bandanna.
Like Ike's.
And everyone knows that we LIke.

Edit-
400th post, W00t to the extreme
exactly how i feel 100% and the huge speed reduction and crappy online

Jimmyray

Smash Rookie
Ok, reread what the Melee people are posting here. All the things you listed (single player, final smashes, 'better' graphics, increased characters, and the ****ty online) are all fine and good. In fact yes they are what makes Brawl good.

However, you left out the most important one, and it's where Brawl fails: Gameplay. The multiplayer, the only part that actually matters in that game, sucks competitively. And that is what this site is about, Competitive smash. All of your reasons are aesthetic, the only appeal to people on the outside.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, just get out of the Melee boards and go back to NooB land. Last thing also: new does NOT mean better.
And that's why I shouldn't have posted my opinion in the first place ¬_¬

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
^I've been playing Melee competitively since 2005. I've played the hell out of Melee since 2001. Is it wrong to want something new out of Smash after 7 years of Melee?

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
I love Melee.
I love Brawl.
Why do I love Melee? Because I mained Fox, the fast fist-throwing powerhouse I love.
Why do I love Brawl? Two words: Meta Knight.

They nerfed Fox... he was so fast and not-floaty... I could beat anyone with him. 3 lvl 9 Marths I played for fun. Marths are hard in Melee too...

Meta Knight is super fast, combo-king, and has amazing recovery. Perfect.
Thats what I miss in Fox.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I realized that I didn't like Brawl when... wait, I never realized that I didn't like Brawl. I like Brawl.

...is this somehow a problem? I like both, and it sounds like this is supposed to be a rarity or not happen at all. No wonder the Brawl boards think Melee players are d*cks; because it is somehow a badge of honor now to dislike Brawl.

How big of the Melee community. Such good role models for budding competitive players.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Just because someone isn't on Smashboards means they can't be competitive, right?
I didn't say anything about your join date. Im just noting that everything you have done on smashboards has had to do with Brawl. You've never once posted proof that you have any actual knowledge or experience with competitive Melee.

Wrath`

Smash Master
My mind can't adapt for Brawl? Seriuosly, Brawl was made so slow so the likes of you can comprehend what's happening. Melee was too fast for your puny brains.

So be it. More people = More competitive . But,
Deeper Better game = higher quality of competitiveness

D
see you had too back down, but quality is a matter of opion.

Melee was too fast, yup thats why I played it and enjoyed it, I enjoy it as much as brawl, but I find to have more fun competing in brawl then melee, what it comes down to is, truley melee will die out, and where will you go, people who complain about speed, it's not that much slower, it takes more thinking knowing your oponet can block everything, but if you get a good combo(not spamming, wich i dont spamm) then you know it took more skill than pulling off a memorized button combo your opponet can not escape,.

I dont understand why people just can't get along, it is people like you that split the brawl and melee communitey far apart, and what reason is there to do so?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I didn't say anything about your join date. Im just noting that everything you have done on smashboards has had to do with Brawl. You've never once posted proof that you have any actual knowledge or experience with competitive Melee.
I joined Smashboards in anticipation on Brawl. My competitive Melee history has nothing to do with my current and future competitive Brawl career.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
see you had too back down, but quality is a matter of opion.
I never backed of. I just wanted you to see my point of view. A Strawberry Cheese Cake will always be sweeter than Crap. Melee IS deeper than Brawl. Melee is BETTER for competition.

Melee was too fast, yup thats why I played it and enjoyed it, I enjoy it as much as brawl, but I find to have more fun competing in brawl then melee, what it comes down to is, truley melee will die out, and where will you go, people who complain about speed, it's not that much slower, it takes more thinking knowing your oponet can block everything, but if you get a good combo(not spamming, wich i dont spamm) then you know it took more skill than pulling off a memorized button combo your opponet can not escape,.
I admit it Melee WILL die out. That's why I hate Brawl.

"memorized button combo" ? This isn't Street Fighter. Combos almost never turn out excatly the same because of DI. And they sure as hell TAKE SKILL!!! It takes a LOT of training to do those Zero-To-Death combos.

I dont understand why people just can't get along, it is people like you that split the brawl and melee communitey far apart, and what reason is there to do so?
Fun maybe... I'm bored out of my mind.

Reborn_Fox

Smash Apprentice
I joined Smashboards in anticipation on Brawl. My competitive Melee history has nothing to do with my current and future competitive Brawl career.
Exactly the point of wat hes tryin to say... U have shown no interest to melee even b4 brawl came out.... But i wont judge u so quickly cutting ties from a game uve been playin sooooo long....

And to all da brawl players its not dat we juz despise brawl most of us own and have had time to make a reasonable contrast of both, but when u play a game for years and are promised something better u expect nuttin less. I mean most of uz could have done without the overdone storyline and the new graphics and songs if they woulda kept the core gameplay elements the same. I didn even mind brawl at first i wanted to try an get used to da new gameplay style but when u realize its shield camp roll and down smash it a very basic game an dats y all the nubs flood to it.

Honestly all my friends dat went to brawl an stuck wit it were the ones who sucked at melee. An quite honestly they all suk at brawl it juz teaches spam an roll which should never be rewarded.... ( Bad Poker should never be rewarded )

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Melee will never die out. It'll only die out if you choose for it to. How about everyone stops with this it'll die out ****. What a ****ty attitude even for the people who still play Melee exclusively don't ever say it'll die out because for me that's not the case and same goes for a lot of other people as well.

SmashMan_026 said:
cant we just agree that they are both great games...?
No

Anyways back on topic before this gets locked, I also realized I didn't like Brawl when I finally played it for two months straight and realized that there were no at's that were worth ****, thus keeping the game slow and dull as all hell.

Llumys

Smash Champion
In my honest opinion, Brawl doesn't suck. Melee set the bar way too high, and so did the hype. Anyways, Brawl IS NOT the same game, just because Brawl is more about mindgames, defense and camping, doesn't mean it's a worse game. Sure, combos are easier to get out of, the game is easy to get good at skill-wise, but...

Brawl has been out for a few months.

You guys didn't obsess over Melee the first few months it came out. Sure, only a few people were looking for advanced techniques in Melee, and Brawl had thousands, but Brawl's just a new game. I'm sure new strategies and techniques will come; or even a patch. But yeah, Brawl's not a bad game. I'll understand if people call it a bad Smash game, but not a bad game in general.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
In my honest opinion, Brawl doesn't suck. Melee set the bar way too high, and so did the hype. Anyways, Brawl IS NOT the same game, just because Brawl is more about mindgames, defense and camping, doesn't mean it's a worse game. Sure, combos are easier to get out of, the game is easy to get good at skill-wise, but...

Brawl has been out for a few months.

You guys didn't obsess over Melee the first few months it came out. Sure, only a few people were looking for advanced techniques in Melee, and Brawl had thousands, but Brawl's just a new game. I'm sure new strategies and techniques will come; or even a patch. But yeah, Brawl's not a bad game. I'll understand if people call it a bad Smash game, but not a bad game in general.
I think I can agree on that. Good game; Bad Smash game.

rhan

Smash Hero
I like both games. I just perfer Melee better.

Brawl added a great thing for the smash comunity. Online play. Being able to play with other people outside your neighborhood without leaving the comfort of your home is one of the best things for people who can't or have no one to play. It took smash to new heights.

On the other hand Melee has that fast pace gameplay I love in any video game. Melee has had my attention since it came out. I couldn't break away from the game I loved for so long.

So, I play both. Just Melee more because of the speed and the characters.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Am i allowed to like brawl more because i can't wavedash?

haha...i think i might give melee another try sometime

Wrath`

Smash Master
raise your hand if you think your opinions ae facts, i come here just to laugh at the remaining melee'er's, its fun how much of an ahole you guys are who bash people who like brawl

N355

Smash Apprentice
Well said.

Opinions can be stupid sometimes.
why do people have to flame others because they disagree with their opinions? just say your own opinion and why you disagree with them in a civil way or something instead of insulting the other person. no wonder why people think all pro melee smashers are jerks

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Meele is about mindgames and Defense far more than Brawl is. Sadly thats the only thing brawl has going for it a ******** version for the lesser capable in smash.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I think it's time to stop flaming brawl-lovers. I personally like melee more, but there are some people who just aren't into competitive gaming. Brawl has prettier graphics and more characters/features, and melee has better competitive gameplay. That is all there is to it.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Just a question: Do most people who prefer melee over brawl have siblings or someone who plays with them on a regular basis?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
SSB64 has much better online capabilities than Brawl :)
DON'T FORGET YOUR ROOTS MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, PLAY SSB64 INSTEAD!
:chuckle:

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
The first time i played brawl (japanese version before us release) i was dissapointed by the gameplay.

After playing more i got use to it and i still enjoy it.

Is melee better? maybe...its more of an opinion thing...

Im gonna play brawl over melee...because

1) Big money
2) chance of winning
3)fun
4) balance

There have been times when im playing melee and im just like "what the fu*k man, lemee breath" (lmao, as a ganon main, playing laser spaming falcos sucks balls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom