• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
^ I think that was for me.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I love Brawl, and I do frequent the Brawl boards more.
It's a great game, but I have accepted Melee as the competitively superior game.

That's not going to stop me from playing Brawl though :p

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
lol at the first 4 letters of "pronoobs"

Seriously, why do they consider going to Smashboards instead of going to AiB. They belong to AiB, or gameFAQS.

Kinda taking offense at all the 08er hate :(

Some of us aren't annoying brawltrolls (ChromePirate, Grunt, I'd like to think me.)

I joined the Smash scene a month or two before Brawl came out. I was mostly interested in Melee but followed Brawl for the first couple months of its unfortunate existence, then dropped that **** when I realized it had nothing on Melee.
If you're an 08er and you make stupid posts all the time, then the 08 "stereotype" applies to you. It doesn't apply to everyone.

ElvenKing

Smash Apprentice
I realised that I wouldn't like brawl as soon I saw the reports on this website of what the gameplay was like.(I've visited SmashBoards since 06 when I got melee, I just didn't get around to joining till a couple of days ago.)

I am now very grateful that Brawl came out months later in Australia, as it prevented me from getting a rubbish game.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
When I had more fun practicing on lvl 1 cpus in melee than when I was playing against real people (semi-competitively) in brawl. Oh and when I realized snake's tilts had their own tier.

Edit: After reading through a good portion of this thread I understand where the brawl vs. Melee argument comes from and why it never ends:
People who prefer brawl are stereotypically younger and less knowledgeable about smash. Younger implies less reasonable and stubborn.

People who prefer brawl are stereotypically older, knowledgeable about both newer smash games, and very elitist (its hard to be good at a game in a community such as this and not be elitist. =/) Those 3 things combined implies less respect for those who are younger and less knowledgeable. Also it means the the melee group has little respect for the brawl group resulting in flaming and not taking the brawl groups claims seriously (which is justified since most of those claims are just false...)

This is an opinion, but it is back up by so much proof it is essentially irrefutable as of now: Melee is a more competitive fighter with more depth. Other things are derived from this like melee is more "fun"(exciting and intense are really the right words) and that melee takes more skill (melee has a learning curve that is larger than the time brawl has been out.....).

Only the first sentence can really be said as proven opinion as well as what's in the parenthesis, anything else is just asking for a pointless argument. As for brawl claims. At a high level of play brawl is not balanced at all. The real question is which one has the most tournament viable characters. Clearly that's melee. Look at the results of recent major tournaments for both games. The proof is there. Brawl does not have more mindgames. that statement really doesn't make sense:
claim: Brawl has a slower pace therefore more mindgames.
this means: by slowing down the pace of a game or speeding it up you have more opportunities to trick your opponent (not sensible at all)
actuality: speed cannot change how many mindgame opportunities you have.... It just gives you more time to think of mindgames, which pretty much supports the melee group's argument that brawl is easier.

There is sooo much other false information that the brawl group believes that I can't even bother trying to list it all, but my suggestion is that in every post you must post something proving you know something about what your talking about like how many tournies have I been too.... But a serious suggestion to everyone is make your arguments clearer and back up your claims with what you know is fact not just perceptions. Also keep in mind when you are arguing that you CAN be wrong. Following that simple advice would actually end all arguments with the melee group being likeliest to win.

/end rant

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
*nod* Agreed kosuke, sigh, but on a side note are you comin to CO. this weekend huhuhuhuhuh!?!?!?

Shroomed

Smash Master
brawl would **** so hard if it was "Super Smash Brothers Melee 2" or even 1.5 at that

i would've been so happy with nothing but melee again with extra chars and stages, god that would've *****

and yes i'm an 08er, but i'm hardcore melee and im not half bad at all =)...played some pretty good ppl and did alright

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Kinda taking offense at all the 08er hate :(

Some of us aren't annoying brawltrolls (ChromePirate, Grunt, I'd like to think me.)

I joined the Smash scene a month or two before Brawl came out. I was mostly interested in Melee but followed Brawl for the first couple months of its unfortunate existence, then dropped that **** when I realized it had nothing on Melee.
lol We dont hate 08'ers, we just hate the dumb ones that come in and EVERY dumb person that has come in has been a 08'er. Its not like if we see and 08'er come in and post something which makes sense we attack them lol.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of like a post from anokou. I think Brawl is an ok game, I just HATE the community that came out of it

Ranth

Smash Rookie
well..

I realised it when i was playing cfalcon against my friends ness (I know cfalcon sucks but W/E) And i started running to knee him and i Tripped right into him and he fmsmash Mee =(

otg

Smash Master
Yeah, we definitely don't judge all 08ers, only those who are truly ignorant to the Melee scene and make a lot of baseless claims about it. Most of them tend to only be here for Brawl and truly know nothing of the Melee scene so they just hate on us for hating on Brawl lol. It's a dumb vicious cycle.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can certain make generalizations based on similar results time and time again.

Engo

Smash Ace
I got Brawl on March 9th and by Mid April began getting bored(already realized Melee was the superior game), but still played. By May I played much less. Then in June someone announced at tourney that would be coming up and I got all excited but as soon as I found out there was no melee I didn't feel like going at all.

Then I clearly realized I wouldn't play this game as much as I played melee .I found 2 new people to smash with and got back to melee and enjoy it much more.

edit:I wish I lurked less and joined earlier, I could have been a 06'er : (

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
BTW, I just realized... why is this thread here? I'm not complaining at the thread or saying that it is bad or anything, but why is it in the melee forums? It has nothing to do with Melee.
What board should it go in then? Brawl? No, the people who go there like the game and it would just start flames. The only other board I can think of for this to go into would be 64 XD. Unless they started a board version of the "brawl complaint thread" where people could flame brawl as much as they wanted without being modded.

If tags are brawl sucks then why are you here? I just hate the online mode it glitches and freezes but people stop complaining...
Ummm, if we don't like brawl, why are we in the brawl boards? Oh wait, this isn't the brawl boards, so we're in the right place.

Brawl is a good game it got a good review that is and pro reviews are better then your reviews... gosh people.. If you don't like brawl then leave the site..
the view of someone who's occupation is to play games for a week and then give their opinion of how good the game was > the view someone who has based their entire lifestyle around playing that particular game series...

wow, nice logic there. Way to go. Since you're putting your respect behind some scrub who played the game for a week over someone who is amazing and has played for years... Who is the one who is more likely needing to leave this site?

How do i fail im exactly right thats how it is -_\\\
Yes, your opinion is correct and our opinions are incorrect, I see how it is (we've already been over this >.<)

Brawl is what this site is based on if you can read you'd see brawl discussion... and yes you're right you see poke center.. and other stuff just more based on Brawl/Melee.
oh, yeah, they had brawl in mind when they made the site back in 02/01 (I'm not actually sure XD). But still... It doesn't really matter, both years are still way before brawl.

why do people bring a DS to a tourney when there is smash to play? u can play DS whenever..
POKEMON BATTLE!!!

Lots of amazing local-only games as well. I have a habbit of always having my DS in my pocket, and I take it out if I have it in before I play matches because having it in my pocket while I'm sitting can be a distraction.

And as far as 08'ers go...

Brawl n00b implies post-dojo join date
Post-dojo join date does not imply brawl n00b

(I don't say 08'ers, because I see a lot of brawl n00bs who have join dates late 07 as well)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
What board should it go in then? Brawl? No, the people who go there like the game and it would just start flames. The only other board I can think of for this to go into would be 64 XD. Unless they started a board version of the "brawl complaint thread" where people could flame brawl as much as they wanted without being modded.
So this thread was posted here to get support? That's just silly, and it doesn't change anything. I just don't like going to melee boards just to find out that half of the threads are about a game I don't care about.
EDIT: I just thought of something, an idea for the mods: How about making a Brawl vs. Melee board so these threads have somewhere to go?

Shroomed

Smash Master
don't worry guys, everyone will soon realize they hate brawl when there's a championship match of a national tournament, both ppl are above 150% and one guy trips into a fsmash......brawl fails so so so hard

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
brawl would **** so hard if it was "Super Smash Brothers Melee 2" or even 1.5 at that

i would've been so happy with nothing but melee again with extra chars and stages, god that would've *****

and yes i'm an 08er, but i'm hardcore melee and im not half bad at all =)...played some pretty good ppl and did alright
seems not all 08'ers are scrubs from what I see, anyway Melee 1.5 or 2.0 would have definetly ***** over Brawl anyday, but unfortunetly, that's not the case which is a dissapointment with us Melee fans.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I suggest anyone who doesn't want their friends playing brawl anymore become the best at brawl by spamming moves ridiculous amounts to the point where they can't win at all and convince them to play melee again

-falco laser
-snake camp -> damage -> utilt
-zelda's dtilt lock to like 100% to dsmash death
-rob laser and top

I honestly think if you do the techniques above while avoiding your enemy, you can beat anyone. Especially with zelda's dtilt lock, that is just ridiculous. Even if you DI away you still get like 30 percent out of it and a dsmash

daisey

Smash Apprentice
shroomed you are so right, brawl would have been so much sweeter with melee's physics , all we needed was the extra chracters some of them. (I dont see why mk and snake are in the game) , also some of the stages.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
shroomed you are so right, brawl would have been so much sweeter with melee's physics , all we needed was the extra chracters some of them. (I dont see why mk and snake are in the game) , also some of the stages.
THE PHYSICS is the main reason why melee players do not like brawl, everyone was looking forward to the game before they figured out how it actually was and thats why people do not like brawl.
All brawl needed to make it a good game was:

ALL of melee AT
Combos
Same speed

That is all. Everythingelse brawl did was good.

Zodiac

Smash Master
don't worry guys, everyone will soon realize they hate brawl when there's a championship match of a national tournament, both ppl are above 150% and one guy trips into a fsmash......brawl fails so so so hard
Or when the final set takes three hours to complete >.>, The only brawl tourney I've been to, my first mach lasted about 10-11 minutes.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
THE PHYSICS is the main reason why melee players do not like brawl, everyone was looking forward to the game before they figured out how it actually was and thats why people do not like brawl.

ALL of melee AT
Combos
Same speed

I don't think all of melee's AT's are necessarily needed for Brawl to have been good... but they sure would have helped. Combos/edgeguarding/that thing where you can't take down your shield right away when hit (shield stun?) are the big things that brawl needs, imo. Even the floatyness wouldn't ruin it for me if it had those things. The main other thing I would change is to remove all the really easy, really cheap, and really effective tactics, like DeDeDe's chaingrab, how did the developers miss that? Too busy making all the gimmicky stuff like coin launcher, subspace, and 1 zillion trophies?

I would definitely be content with the slower speed if there were combos and stuff. I mean, look at 64.

I wish the smash series could be like other competitive fighters where the developers ask for input on what should be in the next game from pros.

daisey

Smash Apprentice

ALL of melee AT
Combos
Same speed

I totally agree, but i can honestly say, i only have fun playing brawl with friends. I dont see it as a competitive game

Shroomed

Smash Master

ALL of melee AT
Combos
Same speed

I read this post as brawl did nothing good lol.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Its sad to see how spoiled you guys are by saying all this crap about brawl.
and another brawl noob joins smashboards

Btw just for clarification I think brawl is fun for just playing, but as soon as you say it's competitive is when you give me the right to punch you in the face

Egret

Smash Journeyman
When the first vids were posted at the Japanese version release and I saw that there wasn't really any recovery/edgeguarding strategy. I didn't even know about lack of hitstun, etc.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
As soon as I saw a gameplay clip my hope was beat down.

Then I read gimpy's evaluation and all hope was crushed.

And then I played it, and within a week I was playing melee again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom