• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you know your ready for Tournament?

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Title says it all. I want to join the Melee tournament scene, so far I've been practicing for a while. I'm just curious when do you know if your ready for tournament?
Not so much UBER PRO! But just ready for tournament.
What techs to know? Or other guidelines.
Thanks for your time :D

joeplicate

Smash Master
whenever you think you're ready to go to a tournament!!

there are honestly no "required techs" you need to learn, or things that you will be made fun of for not knowing about.

going to tourneys is all about learning anyways--even mid and high level players still go to tournaments to try out new things, or learn new strategies against tough opponents--so as long as you go in with a good attitude, introduce yourself to everybody, and try really hard to improve, then you're already 100% ready!

if you play melee, then you should come to dunskies house in north hollywood sometimes. for brawl, you have good players like mike haze in pacoima (or burbank, i think) and DEHF in reseda. :)

it's just a matter of introducing yourself to the community, which is a step that you can take whenever you'd like :colorful:

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Well I've been training really hard for about 2 months
I can perform most of the required techs
but I get really nervous
even against playing my friends, so I forget to use some of the techs during gameplay which as been one major flaw. And while I'm getting hit I start to get nervous, and sometimes I just don't know how to handle a situation. I've been trying to work on this, but to no avail I haven't had much luck

joeplicate

Smash Master
almost everybody gets nervous in tournament!

the best way to learn is to learn by doing.
aka, go to a tournament and enter. (try to stay focused but don't beat yourself up about it if you choke a little bit! it happens to literally everyone)
also, you can do money matches at the tournament to help yourself learn to play better under pressure.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
almost everybody gets nervous in tournament!

the best way to learn is to learn by doing.
aka, go to a tournament and enter. (try to stay focused but don't beat yourself up about it if you choke a little bit! it happens to literally everyone)
also, you can do money matches at the tournament to help yourself learn to play better under pressure.
Thanks Joe
:D!
I saw u and Fly getting off on Scorp and Alex19~

joeplicate

Smash Master
LOL more like getting ***** and then killing myself!

hopefully i'll see you at a tournament sometime soon :)

-Ran

Smash Master
You're always ready, because as long as your approach a tournament as a learning experience you will become a better player regardless of the place you get in the tournament. Many people make the mistake of never going to a tournament because they fear that they will do poorly. So instead, they remain outside of the scene practicing with their friends, or worse against the computer until they either get bored of the game, or finally break down and go to a tournament.

Attending a tournament will allow you to meet the local scene, and find players to practice with to become better. You're ready for a tournament if you're prepared to show humility. Through humility you become a better player and join the community in your area. If it means that you are going to be feeding the pot for a few tournaments until you learn all the match ups, what's five or ten dollars a month? For the price of watching a two hour movie, you can enjoy days of Smash.

It's pretty simple. =)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I entered plenty of tournaments in the past and I didn't even wave dash at ALL. lol. My friend's like "You STILL don't wd?" I say "I do but I can't while in battle"

of course I do it now. ;p There are things you'll have to get used to, like getting hit.

Violence

Smash Lord
Come in to the tournament scene, and tell yourself that no matter what happens, you'll take it positively and improve.

Enjoy the friendly tournament community and learn as much as you can from players who are better than you.

As long as you come in with humility, and you enjoy the game, you won't be disappointed. Go to tournaments!

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Yeah, just go as soon as you can. Once you have basic techskill down (and can apply it in battle) and have learned as much as you possibly could ever learn about your main, you should go to a tournament, get *****, and find out what else you can learn.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Or do like I do. Wing it. Go to a tournament, (I did that with DDR and got owned) and just see how you do lol. Yeah you might get owned but hey, you gotta get conditioned somehow, right?

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
While you're at tournaments, one of the most important things you can do is play friendlies. That's what you're there for, right? Picking up new information, getting comfortable with the tournament setting, and gaining better control of your character can all be done outside of pools/brackets.

Also, this is one reason I say the smash community is the best competitive gaming community ever. Everyone's so respectful to everyone else, new or veteran status.

-Ice-

Smash Apprentice
you gonna know it between the loading time of the stage selection screen to the stage in a tournament match

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Or do like I do. Wing it. Go to a tournament, (I did that with DDR and got owned) and just see how you do lol. Yeah you might get owned but hey, you gotta get conditioned somehow, right?
First and only ddr tourney I went to, entered spontaniously, and I got third, no mods, all songs I didn't know, on a console pad.

The competition was pretty good, too.

Get better, son.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
First and only ddr tourney I went to, entered spontaniously, and I got third, no mods, all songs I didn't know, on a console pad.

The competition was pretty good, too.

Get better, son.
Yeah, we did it on a machine pad.

I did get better.

I just don't have the chance to play DDR often. Just Step Mania. (no machines near me) ;-;

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Immediately after you find about tournaments.

There is no "not ready."
This is the correct answer.

Don't worry about the impression you set on people. They have seen scrubs before. They have been scrubs before. They have seen scrubs turn into legendary players. Everyone will treat you with respect, don't worry.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
As everyone said and it can't be stressed enough. Tournaments prepare you for tournaments. Especially in games like Melee where online play isn't prevalent or very good.

I practiced very hard (even won my first tournament, lol gamestop). But the first real melee tourney I got roflstomped by Krazy Jones and Marcus (RUSH HOUR YEAHHAHAHAHAHA).

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I hate to tell you but you'll never be ready for your first tournaemnt.
Regardless of how hard and long you train, you will get ***** in ways you probably didn't even think were possible.

Just go, you'll get more out of it than you could ever hope to practicing by yourself.

Violence

Smash Lord
When your the best in your hood.
Rep.
Isn't there like a neighborhood in NY with Jman, Alucard, and LambChops?

Best in your neighborhood is such a vague thing...

Man, I'd hate to be in that neighborhood... I'd never be tournament ready.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Yeah, we did it on a machine pad.

I did get better.

I just don't have the chance to play DDR often. Just Step Mania. (no machines near me) ;-;
I couldn't do many of the 11s and 12s on ITG.

I downloaded the ITG 1 and 2 packs for Stepmania.

I could do the 11s and 12s on itg.

Literally just playing through the charts enough times on Stepmania was enough for me to be able to competently play through hard songs. :\

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I couldn't do many of the 11s and 12s on ITG.

I downloaded the ITG 1 and 2 packs for Stepmania.

I could do the 11s and 12s on itg.

Literally just playing through the charts enough times on Stepmania was enough for me to be able to competently play through hard songs. :\
The problem for me is I get tired... and I don't know EXACTLY how to foot correctly. Still working on that.

I also downloaded the ITG packs for Stepmania. I <3333 them. Soooo good.

Best I can do, is like a 6 or 7. And get tired. LOL. Before it was a 4 or 5. But like, in between those two differences, I didn't play on a machine, just stepmania xDDD

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Took me about a year to move from normal mode to doing 8s and 9s competently. From there it was just a matter of effectively grinding 8s and 9s until you have the stamina to attempt 10s.

Somewhere among those transitions you should learn how to step better. The only difficult hurdles are learning how to cross-over, how do to more effective/advanced cross-overs/step patterns, and finally, learning how to transition between feet, and hands.

Mind you this was all done on soft ps1/ps2 pads.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
yeah just go to one as soon as you want. ive gone to two and each time after ive went i feel like ive literally gotten 10x better. you learn so much and there a blast. and you meet some cool people

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
Once you can snatch the pebble from my hand, then you may attend a tournament.

Seriously though, just go. You'll probably get ***** but that makes you better quicker.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
The sooner, the better. This is not SSFIV, this is Smash. You don't have an online community with a good netcode to help you improve and test yourself. Besides...you live in Cali. Which means that no matter what level of gameplay you go in at....someone will keep you from winning, lol. Like Ran, said....just approach it as a learning experience. You need to play people, and the seasoned players will more than likely help you understand your strong and weak points.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I hate to tell you but you'll never be ready for your first tournaemnt.
Regardless of how hard and long you train, you will get ***** in ways you probably didn't even think were possible.

Just go, you'll get more out of it than you could ever hope to practicing by yourself.
I disagree, when Ally came to his first tournament here in Brawl, he destroyed everybody and we didn't even know him.. we all said he was going to get owned. Good times. Being a genius ftw I guess? =P Just saying there are exceptions.

However, 99.9% of the times.. newcomers get destroyed easily their first tournament.. but it's by going to tournaments and playing lots of people that you get to learn how to manage nervousness, focus better, learn matchups. To help with that, set yourself some goals to motivate yourself. This will make you improve x10 faster. Pay attention to what you do wrong, remove patterns.. become less predictable.. etc.etc. Less weakness = less things the opponent can exploit. With no weakness what can the opponent do seriously!? If you just play to have fun then you'll get nowhere... that's what I've come to realize with apprentices. When I taught a friend how to play for a long time, at some point he just does not improve anymore and has hit a plateau.. since there's no need for him to get better. You have to find the NEED to get better. This goes with life too.. feeling the NEED to change for the greater good for yourself.. do you guys realize that not many has that feeling?

So basically get hungry for 1st place, destroy everybody in your path to victory.. and then become a legend. =P

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I personally dislike it when people do this, but you could always go to the tournament and...*sigh*...not enter. Go to do some friendlies and stuff. Besides, if you go and you find that you're learning in some pre-tourney friendlies, it might do you even better to enter and simply ask for advice after each set. Chances are people will give you advice if you are sincere.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I personally dislike it when people do this, but you could always go to the tournament and...*sigh*...not enter. Go to do some friendlies and stuff. Besides, if you go and you find that you're learning in some pre-tourney friendlies, it might do you even better to enter and simply ask for advice after each set. Chances are people will give you advice if you are sincere.
If you do it like that, you'll never learn how to overcome your nerves.

I mean you can play to learn matchups and stuff but when it really comes down to it.. Testing your skill to the max will never happen either.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I disagree, when Ally came to his first tournament here in Brawl, he destroyed everybody and we didn't even know him.. we all said he was going to get owned. Good times. Being a genius ftw I guess? =P Just saying there are exceptions.
1) Brawl sucks
2) Our scene is a billion times more developed than the Brawl scene was when Ally pulled that off. Ken was the first and last person to surprise **** in Melee and that was a long time ago when the scene was taking its first baby steps.

The geniuses you're referring to would at best surprise everyone by making it out of pools.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
1) Brawl sucks
2) Our scene is a billion times more developed than the Brawl scene was when Ally pulled that off. Ken was the first and last person to surprise **** in Melee and that was a long time ago when the scene was taking its first baby steps.

The geniuses you're referring to would at best surprise everyone by making it out of pools.
I don't see how you can claim something like that when you haven't played anyone here. And well, when no one knew me from the US and I came to Pound 3 my first out of country.. I was one rank away from making to brackets.. though i guess thats not good enough for being a genius. =P

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I don't see how you can claim something like that when you haven't played anyone here.
Claim what?

And well, when no one knew me from the US and I came to Pound 3 my first out of country.. I was one rank away from making to brackets.. though i guess thats not good enough for being a genius. =P
That wasn't your first tournament was it?

Top Bottom