• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When should you roll if ever?

Rikter

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering this for a few days and all I can remember reading here that rolling isn't a good idea. Are their any specific situations where you should roll or it isn't a bad idea?

Nickelbacker

Smash Cadet
Just don't use roll too much. It's good for getting out the line of attack, but the problem is sometimes people tend to roll into the line of attack and get punished for it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Rolling is a good mixup. Not rolling at all is actually worst then if you only roll 1-3 times a match.

All top players roll A TON. Especially Diddy's, Mk's, Lucario's, and other characters.

I'm not saying to roll a lot stupidly because that'd be punished quite easily, but buffered rolls are amazing.

Sometimes rolling is the best situation to avoid something like D3 grabbing you.

etecoon

Smash Hero
All top players roll A TON. Especially Diddy's, Mk's, Lucario's, and other characters.
this is a pretty important point, how much utility rolling will have for you is going to vary depending on your character, MK for instance should use his roll significantly more than marth. note the difference between your characters front and back rolls too, front rolls tend to be less useful unless you have a really good one like MK or lucario's

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lucario's rolls are dumb.

MK's is a tad faster on the back roll, but Lucario goes farther and has more invincibility during it. Mix them up with all the other things he can do and it's hard for a lot of characters to punish him for rolling back and even sometimes forward.

Coney

Smash Master
people roll for different reasons. some do it legitimately to escape, some to condition, some as a nervous habit, some simply to get around an attack without jumping over it...there are a lot of different reasons

but it's not true that top players never roll/spotdodge. that's a really common misconception for some reason and it's just not true.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I think you should probably roll when your opponent is applying a lot of shield pressure to the point where there isn't enough time to drop shield then run. There are some other conditions but I can't really recall them right now. Stuff like roll speed, opponent's ability to punish rolls considering the lag of his shield pressure attacks etc.

Also there are situations where you need to get away from the ledge, but that needs to be mixed up/performed safely because it's one of the easiest situations to predict a roll.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Roll away if the opponent's just standing there.
Roll behind if the opponent's running at you.

Of course, don't strictly follow that every time, as mixups are always important, but that's always a good base rule to follow.

napZzz

Smash Hero
rolling away is useful if you know how to use it right, rolling can be used well in avoiding projectiles as long as you aren't setting yourself up for something

or just a standard roll behind a laggy move and punish or w/e

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
When people won't punish you for it.

When it puts you in an advantageous position.

To respace yourself.

as a mix-up approach if you're lucario.

as a lucario main, I have a PHD in rolling, I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT.

probably

Pretty much everything said above.

Rolling should primarily be away to escape situations rather than as a means to approach.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
you use a roll in anticipation of an attack that you can therefore position yourself in a situation to your advantage. A roll however should be used deliberately rather than on reaction.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Rolling can also be used to dodge an attack without changing your character orientation. a single spot-dodge + Bair with Pit is good for example, without having to do the reverse-jump.

As the others have said though, don't be predictable. Unless your opponent is stupidly predictable to begin with, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I've literally used roll to go from one end of the stage to the other. Lol Rolling is only good on reaction (like the above post said) but it can be used as a mix up. Just don't ever make it apart of your general strategy or use it too much. Sometimes, you are better off just taking the hast hit of an attack rather than rolling and getting hit 10000 more times.

weigelct

Smash Rookie
The most quotable pieces of advice that expert smashers will give to those just starting out are things that try to persuade you to drop your mindless bad habits in favor of picking up a mindset of doing everything for a reason - all while mixing up your actions/reactions so you don't become predictable.

With this in mind, don't try to pick specific situations where you think "okay; this, this, and this are happening so ROLL," any competitive player worth his salt will pick up on this and adapt - meaning you end up grabbed by a D3 or something equally bad.

You shouldn't think, however, that rolling should be discarded altogether. It's a great defensive maneuver as long as your opponent doesn't expect it or, even better, if he has no way to punish it. Make sure, however, that you do not opt for a roll when something else might have been even better (i.e. your opponent was wide open for a grab or attack).

Teh Future

Smash Master
always roll. its the best option in every situation because its impossible to punish. rolling behind someone is the best move in the game

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I've been trying to cut back on rolling. I do it too much and become predictable. I'm trying to limit it too retreating and ON OCCASION for approach too attack. other than that, I'm trying new movement tactics.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It really depends on the character you are using. Characters like Diddy Kong, Lucario, and Pit have quick rolls, so you can roll a lot without being punished a lot. My main, Samus, has a terrible roll, and I have trained myself to not roll at all with her. Make a conscious effort to control your rolling and use your experience to determine whether you should roll.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
You should roll if your damage hasnt gone that high and if your character has a good roll. You shouldnt roll after you kill someone and have high damage from your little struggle. They will easily predict as much and do an fsmash once you get behind them to finish you off.

Top Bottom