• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When the 3rd party reps will be revealed

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so we all know that we'll be getting a few more 3rd party reps in brawl. We can only guess as to who will join Snake in the Smash fray, but I've been wondering, could it be sooner then we think?
One thing we all know is that they will all be unlockable, and will NOT be shown on the Dojo because of this (which is why we haven't seen snake, and probably won't see Luigi, as I'm pretty sure he will be unlockable as always).
The thing is, though, that these characters are probably a pain in the rear to get the rights too. It's gotta be expensive and time consuming. As well as that, I think that knowing certain things can increase hype while not knowing other things can, too. Knowing every unlockable? Kind of lame, leaves no surprises. But the 3rd parties are different, if we know Crono is in the for sure, that just makes me, and I'm sure many others, more excited. Not to mention, I'm sure the companies who own these characters might want people to know about them, too.
Now, this is only me thinking out loud, but I don't think I'm too far out of the ballpark.

On another note, concerning third party characters, I've always been excited about Simon Belmont's possibility of making the cut. But, school is boring, and I've done even more thinking. I think that Snake's inclusion makes it less likely that Simon will be there. Why is that, you say? Because I wonder whether or not sakurai would want to give a 3rd party multiple reps. It's a nintendo game, they get the spotlight. I think that there is a possibility 3rd parties that jump in the party will get a sole rep, so as to not steal the big N's spotlight.

greenblob

Smash Lord
All of the third party characters will be unlockable characters, which won't be revealed until after the release.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I think that if there are more Third Parties besides Snake, Sakurai won't make a profile for them (and Snake) on the DoJo until WAY after the game's release if he even does. Also, maybe he'd just announce from what games the Third Party characters are from, so that hype and excitement will rise along with infinate speculation, but no surprises are ruined for the fans.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I know that they won't be on the dojo, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that, I'm saying maybe elsewhere, outside of the dojo. They won't get a spotlight there, but I think a headsup on who's in may be a possibility.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
People change and change their minds by the way.
Well, I think he's going to stick to this one, as he said he doesn't think the 3rd party reps should be starters as they aren't nintendo characters.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
If sonic is confirmed tommarow this is the last of BHLMRO u will see on the boards >_>...That is enless you go to the ssb64 section XP

*Waits for sonic fanboys to attack*

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I don't think anyone is really reading me here. Someone, please read my argument, don't just tell me what I already know. consider what I have said and evaluate your opinion on the matter. I'm not an idiot, I know what likely will not be shown on the dojo, but I don't care, as I'm not saying this stuff will be shown there.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Simon Belmont is more likely to appearing in Brawl, but at the risk of other companies appearing in Brawl. We know there will be three third-party characters, but they ALL could come from Konami due to rights issues...

Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog might not appear because of Mario & Sonic selling on the desired aspect that people WANT Sonic in for... to kick Mario's butt.
Capcom's Mega Man might not be in because the original hasn't had a new game since the PS1.
Namco's Pac-Man might not be in because Namco doesn't see him fighting.
Hudson's Bomberman might not be in because, well he only use BOMBS!

However, if Nintendo REALLY wants to give a hint at third-parties... they should give the complete copyright...

Currently it is...

"Copyright 2007 Nintendo/Hal Laboratory, Inc.
Characters Copyright 2007 Nintendo/Hal Laboratory, Inc./Pokemon./Creatures, Inc./GAME FREAK, Inc./INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS/Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc."

If there is some other company's character in Brawl, we will eventually see THEIR company's name in as well. You know someone is bound to notice "Sega Sammy Holdings, Inc.," "Capcom Co. Ltd.," "Namco Bandai Holdings, Inc.," or even "Hudson Soft"

enjoi06

Smash Rookie
what a poorly written post... BoG, go get some grammar lessons son.

and also learn how to construct some coherent paragraphs... no need for the random "But, school is boring... "

btw.. i think people are having trouble responding to your argument because its all over the place. I'm not flaming you - just trying to help you out. You should collect your thoughts before you post something. Don't just write what ever comes to mind.

SiD

Smash Master
Third parties will most definitely be revealed before the game comes out, to boost sales for the game.

Picture a person who kinda liked melee but loves the Sonic games. Then he hears Sonic is in Brawl, he'll definitely buy it now. Nintendo as a company will choose to make profits over keeping cool secrets any day, and it is there decision.

Plus, in the case of Sonic, it will undoubtedly boost sales for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games as well.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i hope they reveal one more 3rd party character before launch. maybe simon (if hes in the game) then they wouldent have to reveal any other companies involved.

also i dont think youll have to worry about the credits, i think they might even keep the other companies secrect untill you unlock their character. because turning on the game and seeings sega at the bottom of the screen in small font would kinda ruin it. (theyve done it before)

ive always thought of nintendo the other way, they seem to do what they want reguardless. lol

i mean, look how the revealed snake in the first trailer. how many people **** themselves when they heard the codec sound? lol. i wouldent be suprised if sonic appears in the story mode like 10 mins from the end to save someone from falling to their doom, or to score a hit on the distracted villian. (you know, overtly dbz style) just for the sake of it being climatic.

Evolver

Smash Cadet
i think he will show us 1 new 3rd party Char a few days (around a week) before release to increase the hype. And the rest will be shown way the release.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
I think it's a tough question. On one hand it's true that we've never (before Snake) had a secret character revealed to us before hand.

On the other, these third party characters are clearly something special. They mean a lot more to the game that other secret characters because of the sheer unlikeliness of them being in. Furthermore as someone all ready pointed out the third party characters offer some very important advertising options. As a result I really can't see them hiding someone like Sonic till the very end.

Just think of all the extra copies they could sell if he's on the back of the box!
(yeah like they're not gonna sell out anyway... whatever)

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
It would be a bad buisness decision not to reveal the other 3rd party characters, or at least hint towards them so that people would build their own rumors/hype.

Oh, and it would be awesome if Sonic was revealed in Subspace with a sweet dramatic cinematic. Like saving Mario from being killed, or by actually working for the Ancient Minister.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It would be a bad buisness decision not to reveal the other 3rd party characters, or at least hint towards them so that people would build their own rumors/hype.

Oh, and it would be awesome if Sonic was revealed in Subspace with a sweet dramatic cinematic. Like saving Mario from being killed, or by actually working for the Ancient Minister.
I argee. Revealing Sonic on the Smash Dojo would definitely get more people to want to buy the game.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if it happens I'd assume late november or very early december, but it just seems silly to me to NOT tell us who's in.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
sakurai stated,atleast 3 3rd parties will join excluding snake

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Yeah, again, Nintendo IS a business. A month or two before the release of Brawl, they'll reveal the other 3rd party characters, in order to build hype.
Also, the super secret characters won't be the third party ones. The "hardest-to-get" character (like G&W) is an important position, and one that Nintendo are likely to give to a Nintendo character. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Third parties will most definitely be revealed before the game comes out, to boost sales for the game.
See I was thinking that too, but then I realised that the game will sell out on the first day because of people like us anyway. People who are already so hyped for Brawl that the moment they see it they'll buy it.

I figure after our division has had its turn, they'll be like "Oh, by the way, Sonic." and then the fence-sitters or Sonic lovers will consume them.

Of course, this is just a theory of why Sakurai doesn't have to reveal the unlockables before the game comes out.

burrito

Smash Lord
I think that the 3rd party characters will be revealed before Brawl is released, but not on the site. Sort of like what has happened with Snake so far. He was revealed in the trailers, but probably won't get an update until after Brawl is out. We'll probably see the other 3rd party characters revealed in trailers.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone actually provide a link to anywhere the Sakurai said anything about the appearance/lack thereof of more third party characters? I've heard many things, that Snake would be the only one, that there will be three of them, unlockable/starters, and I don't know what to believe.
Just help me out a little.

As for the revelation of third party characters, I think that there might be rumors flitting around about certain corporations, but I'm sure that any companies that have agreed to put their characters in Brawl had to sign on a whole ****load of dotted lines to not reveal the actual character until the release of the game.

If it really is true that there will only be three, I'd say that they should be Snake, Crono, and Jaster Rogue from Rogue Galaxy (perhaps with Seed as a clone/alternate costume?)

burrito

Smash Lord
Can anyone actually provide a link to anywhere the Sakurai said anything about the appearance/lack thereof of more third party characters? I've heard many things, that Snake would be the only one, that there will be three of them, unlockable/starters, and I don't know what to believe.
Just help me out a little.
Check out here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

They should have kept SamuraiPanda's translation thread stickied, it gives a lot of insight into Sakurai and Brawl. Anyway, here is the specific paragraph that refers to 3rd party characters in Brawl:

#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
Check out here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

They should have kept SamuraiPanda's translation thread stickied, it gives a lot of insight into Sakurai and Brawl. Anyway, here is the specific paragraph that refers to 3rd party characters in Brawl:
Thanks, that thread was very helpful. Let's hope that he's changed his mind since then and has decided that he's going to keep a alrger number of the returning characters and include more gguest characters. Quite frankly, I don't care if it gets delayed a little bit if they can fit in everthing that they want. Melee had the shortcomings that it did because they were rushed to mee the Gamecube release date, but now there's really nothing holding them back except for the restrains of the holiday season and other smart selling times of the year.

My statement stands. Jaster Rogue for Brawl!!!

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
3rd party characters i heard cant be on the dojo...something about copyrights and they dont have them (idk)...but it took them 5 months to announce meta knight (which we already knew)...sooo 3rd party's most likely character is Simon...

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
i mean, look how the revealed snake in the first trailer. how many people **** themselves when they heard the codec sound? lol. i wouldent be suprised if sonic appears in the story mode like 10 mins from the end to save someone from falling to their doom, or to score a hit on the distracted villian. (you know, overtly dbz style) just for the sake of it being climatic.
I know this post was made like 3 days ago but that is a solid point. Introducing Sonic or the other 3rd Party Characters throughout the story mode would be great. It would add to the idea that the whole word will be destroyed so even the non Nintendo peeps have to join in.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I know this post was made like 3 days ago but that is a solid point. Introducing Sonic or the other 3rd Party Characters throughout the story mode would be great. It would add to the idea that the whole word will be destroyed so even the non Nintendo peeps have to join in.
You know, who is to say they can't show up in the story before being unlocked? It wouldn't necessarily be how you unlock them, but they could show up nefore you eventually obtained them as a playable character.

Derek~Joe

Smash Apprentice
Who cares about that 3rd party when its all about that 1st party?

Still waitin for Captain Falcon, Ness, Luigi, Captain Olimar, Little Mac, Krystal, Mewtwo, Princess Katia

what more could you want? imean seriously?

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
I say the big Brawl event that they were talking about having at some point before the game launch. This would be the perfect time to give us another newcomer video and at the very end have the third party character once again.

They will be revealed before the game is released. Considering that the companies would have their names/logos on the box somewhere...

Top Bottom