• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When you got Brawl.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
There's been a lot of heated Melee-Brawl debates lately, so let's talk about something different!

What are your memories of getting Brawl? Did you preorder it? Did you get the midnight release?

Me, I was at my cousin's house. He had already preordered it. We came to a Gamestop near his house at like 10:30, gave the preorder slip to them, then came back before midnight. We waited in a line for a long time. My cousin slipped through to the front of the line and was the 2nd person to get the game. (The 1st person was a girl who had won a trivia question)

Even though it was snowing and really cold, it was pretty fun and worth it.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I got it as an easter gift.
I didn't even know that you give gifts on easter.....I thought that was for rich people.
Anyway.....
I was so angry.
I was waiting for my gift (I had a choice of a couch, Smash [they said I couldn't have it] or something else. I wanted the couch), when my dad came home.
He had went to gamestop to buy a game.
I was hoping up, down, left, and right that it was Brawl.
It freakin' Go Diego go.
THE CRAP?
Then he showed me the Brawl case.
That was after many, many words of anger.
Thank goodness they were in my mind (What's weird is that I don't even cuss in my mind....I hate foul language).
I was relieved, but I remember I was either grounded, or I had used up my hour on the Wii (I have a time limit).
I had to play with my sister.
Of course I kicked tail, even though it was my first time playing.
I decided to drop Melee for a while. (*If I didn't, I might not be at pro level with Fox, Falco, and Marth like I am now since I decided to get serious)

*I was playing at adv tech level, but I didn't use them correctly.
Now I do.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I went to EB earlier that morning before release for the pseudo brawl tournament and got my wrestling trophy. Then went back to that same EB at midnight to pick up the game. While we waited for the store to open before midnight, the EB held another tournament. I won that too and got to the front of the line XD

Bragging ftw. Too bad I don't do so hot at real tourneys XD

Yeniths

East Midlands!
i ordered it online from japan when it was released there, cba with waiting until the PAL release >_>

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Walked into Target and pointed to the game behind the glass display...I remember the guy said something like "How did I know it'd be that one?" or something goofy like that...

Then went home and unlocked the Captain first...

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I still don't have it. Or a Wii.

:(

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Got it pre-ordered and got it on midnight release. That should have been the note that this game wasn't really worth it to me, but I had to think about the dust collecting for the Wii, so I had no other options.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I remember when i got my copy of Brawl. I went to Target on it's release day so I could purchase it. I went where the games were and noticed that i didn't see any more copies. I asked if they had any more and the lady opened the display and said that they didn't so I was dissapointed. Right as I was about to leave a guy told her that there should be at least one or two left so he checked and it was wedged in between Super Mario Galaxy and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. So yeah that's how i obtained my copy.......

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I got it the night it came out.
It was awesome. =P
My friends and I got ice cream when we were waiting. ^_^

Veggi

Smash Champion
I went to the store and I said "Hey, I pre-ordered Smash Bros., can I have it?" So she takes it out and says alright. So I give her some cards it went something like this: "Does this card work?" "No." "Does this card work?" "It has 15 dollars left on it." "Alright, I'll use that."

*pulls out a bunch of money from wallet*

"Here."

*she hands Brawl disc*

Wasn't that entertaining?

Darkurai

Smash Master
Went to the midnight release with FangzV, my girlfriend, and my girlfriend's brother.
Fangz and my girlfriend's brother didn't enter the tournament. My girlfriend and I were knocked out first round. Red Kirby won the tournament. Some guy unlocked Ness before the tournament. I unlocked Marth before the tournament and turned off all items for the tournament. I accidentally made them have to set the tournament up again. Twice. I think we unlocked Luigi during the tournament. I got the very first copy of Brawl at midnight.
The next day, me, Fangz, and my girlfriend celebrated my birthday by playing Brawl...until I had to go to work after playing for two hours.

lordoftheasians

Smash Cadet
I also went to the midnight release and it was a cold, windy night. The tournament was going on and I wasn't entered so I thought I could watch it. The lady was like sorry if you aren't here for the tournament you can't come into the store.

F that. I wasn't going to stay in the freezing cold. I drove back to my cousin's house and we waited until 12. Went back and had to wait another hour for everybody who was in front of us. Finally, paid and got my copy then left.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
I preordered it and on the day of release, at about 11 am (when the store opened) I was there to pick it up. I had to wait in line for about 15 minutes, but I really didn't mind because I was getting Brawl. I came home soon after, called up 3 friends and we brawled the rest of the day.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I had to go on sunday morning, since I had no way to get there at night.
I was so excited that I clicked intense on accident, and thought it was on easy (so I could get used to it first). I was like Sweet! they finally up-ed the difficulty a ton!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I actaully stood in line at Best Buy, and boy was it long, and I remember being all anxious and excited about just getting my copy of Brawl in my hands just to rush home and play it all-night which was a great feeling

Meccs

@Meccs_
I snagged my blockbuster's last copy around 10 AM. Really glad. As soon as I got home, me and my friend played SSE for 6 hours straight, then the next day we did the same thing. Had everyone in no time. (and I've got the Wii notice thing to prove it ;D)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I got it preorded at the Game Stop but there was an ad in the paper that midnight release (Plus, NJ and their stupid "Blue Laws" prevented me from getting it on the day it was released) was at the Game Zone (a local video game and rental place) so,my Dad, brother and I preordered at the Game Zone and canceled our order at the Game Stop. We picked it up but played Melee for hours before it. That was the last Melee I played for months. ><

Such sweet memories.

My first character was Ike because I didn't want to play as Link, my melee main was Link, at Distant Planet.

God, Brawl was so much fun for the first few months.

But it was so cold in the wait. >_<

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
i had to wait outside a gamestop in the frigid cold with 20 others and cheer on my brother for the mid-night release tourney
then wait 30 minutes in line to get the game
then go home and popped the disc in... "could not read disk" came up twice but then it finally worked
and it was totally worth it...

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I got it from Wal Mart at 6 A.M on launch day. There was a blizzard over here (LOLCANADALOL), but that didn't stop me. I got every character and stage that same day. I must have played for like 12 hours straight, probably more.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
I went to the midnight launch and met 4 friends there.

I got screwed over my first fight by falling into a hole as diddy(I stuck on the wall of one of the holes in mushroom kingdom, and thinking that i was on the ledge i hit L. and died.) It was a 1 minute match too, with the wiimote and nunchuck. So i was out first round.... sigh

One of the best things that happened that night was my friend(who didnt sign up) took the place of somebody who didnt come and got 2nd place.

xD

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
"Mum, dad, remember: I (You/We) got the Wii just for this game (SSBB). Buy it!" x 15.

I know, it sounds sad, but I don't pay anything, so it's all good.

So I came home from school on the thursday of the release to play it, after ringing my parents on the way home on the bus to double check :D. In fact, they forgot until I rang them :/

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i got to go to the midnight launch. i remember reserving it since like july of last year. so i got there at like 11:50 and only waited like half hour before i got it. my feet were really cold but it was worth it. but what sucked was i had to go to bed as soon as i got home. so i couldnt play it for like 6 hours until like 7:30 in the morning. but i woke up and rushed to my wii and played like the whole day. it was fun.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
i got to go to the midnight launch. i remember reserving it since like july of last year. so i got there at like 11:50 and only waited like half hour before i got it. my feet were really cold but it was worth it. but what sucked was i had to go to bed as soon as i got home. so i couldnt play it for like 6 hours until like 7:30 in the morning. but i woke up and rushed to my wii and played like the whole day. it was fun.
That was a fun night especially when the first people who got it flicked evry1 else off as they drove away :chuckle: but i played it till like 3 AM

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I waited like 4 days after the release. When it finally came I took a freakin knife and hacked the box open.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I went with me and 5 other people. My gamestop gave numbers to you when you show your slip and then at midnight you come to the desk in order.
We showed up at 5, all got the frist 6 number (I was 3) and our numbers for the tournament later on at like 8(I was 4 in the tourney)
At 9 we got kicked out because they had to set up for the tournament. I looked in and they had stacks and stacks of Brawl and my heart skipped a beat. So we wandered around for a lil while and they opened back up at 10 for the people in the tourney. We got in and hung out for a little while, got the strategy guide(huge dissapointment), and my friend almost won the tourney. I lost first round becuase of the friggen wiimote nunchuk set up. When he handed it to me I was shaing all over, at the time when speculation was abound for Brawl I was on the boards 5-7 horus a day, reading every single post. So actually getting it was amazing.

Then 3 days later I started playing melee again, in secret because at the time my friends had banished melee and only played brawl. Then a week after that they started melee too.

Top Bottom