• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Can I Get Really Small CRTs

StoryTime

Smash Apprentice
So yeah as the title mentions, my friend and I are trying to get our hands on a really small and preferably relatively cheap CRT. By small, I mean small enough to fit in a bag or a backpack or something. I'll look around online but if any of you find something online, please link it, and if you know stores that generally sell really small CRTs, let me know. Thanks and much appreciated.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Stores that aren't good will or other thrift shops don't really sell CRTs anymore. your best bet is the internet and garage sales and the like. Craigslist is your best friend.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
The best places are looking for garage sales. Places like goodwill sometimes carry them so be sure to check them out. Also, something called a surplus sale. I have one on my schools campus and they occasionally have crts. Craigslist is probably your best bet.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I found two CRT's next to a dumpster. My friend took the small one and I took the big one and now I use it to play at home! The only thing wrong with it was the front AV ports not working but that's no biggie.

Handorin

Smash Hero
We used portable DVD players on road trips. The ones we had didn't lag. I couldn't tell you what brand or anything though.

StoryTime

Smash Apprentice
Well the reason why I'm looking for some sort of small and easily portable TV for Melee is because I run a Smash Club with my friend at school and we couldn't get more than one room and there's only one Smart Board in the room so we're limited to one setup so we're pretty much hunting for anything we can use that's easily portable. If the DVD player I have works I'm going to cry tears of joy but if that sucker doesn't have AV inputs we'll just have to keep hunting for something.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Backpack? Ain't gonna happen. The most common small option you would have is a 15 inch CRT. As a suggestion from a guy running a smash club at Pitt, make sure you have a place to store equipment.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Even though this isn't the right time of the year, but a nice time to go TV hunting is around mid-late summer in urban/residential areas. People's leases usually end around this time for apartments and such and need to get rid of their junk. Found 3 TVs near dumpsters in an alley one year and we still use 2 of them.

Also craigslist, under free.

Goodwills, thriftshops, or other value places like that where people donate their stuff they dont want.

Stewie

Smash Rookie
I once found two CRTs walking down the street. They were actually walking pretty slowly if I can recall.
I found two CRT's next to a dumpster. My friend took the small one and I took the big one and now I use it to play at home! The only thing wrong with it was the front AV ports not working but that's no biggie.

Kadano

Magical Express
While searching for Sony PVM monitors, I found some that are only 9". Since these are high-quality and most of them support progressive component, you should expect to pay at least 40$ for one, though.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
While searching for Sony PVM monitors, I found some that are only 9". Since these are high-quality and most of them support progressive component, you should expect to pay at least 40$ for one, though.
Only the two L5 versions support 480p (and also 720p and 1080i). PVM-14L5 and PVM-20L5.

The rest are just 480i, though they still look amazing

Kadano

Magical Express
Only the two L5 versions support 480p (and also 720p and 1080i). PVM-14L5 and PVM-20L5.

The rest are just 480i, though they still look amazing
That’s not true. I bought a PVM20M7MDE two days ago (for 160€, good condition without any flaws) that accepts progressive scan over RGB and YPbPr and displays it correctly. It’s a European model revision of a lower number M-series whose only upgrade was double scan for 50hz inputs (worthless for smashers), so I suppose other M-series models are able to display 480p as well.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
I got a really nice, easy to carry 19 inch one from a Waterfront Rescue Bargain Center (Similar to Goodwill) for only 15 dollars. I would say go for a 15 inch or 19 inch like I have, and like others have said check bargain centers, garage/yard sales, and hell, maybe even near dumpsters lol

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Flea markets.
I see them all the time.
Except I never buy them.
Hmph.
Edit: oh gee whiz we bumped one hell of a old topic.

Last edited:

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
That’s not true. I bought a PVM20M7MDE two days ago (for 160€, good condition without any flaws) that accepts progressive scan over RGB and YPbPr and displays it correctly. It’s a European model revision of a lower number M-series whose only upgrade was double scan for 50hz inputs (worthless for smashers), so I suppose other M-series models are able to display 480p as well.
It's PAL, so I didn't really see it. I'm in the US. It does do 31khz (480p), so it might display NTSC signals, but I don't think it has the colorspace. I did read the M7MDE is actually 50hz/100hz vsync, which means you might have some weird image pulldown when trying to display 60hz images. The guys at system11.org say it might lag, but I'm not sure i believe it. I think you would just have image pulldown.

Just remember that accepting a signal isn't the same as outputting it.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48180

Specs: http://www.medly.fr/moniteur.pdf

Not all M-series are able to do 480p.

On another note, the PVM*L5 can output 720p and 1080i. They are also 60hz only.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
It's PAL, so I didn't really see it. I'm in the US. It does do 31khz (480p), so it might display NTSC signals, but I don't think it has the colorspace. I did read the M7MDE is actually 50hz/100hz vsync, which means you might have some weird image pulldown when trying to display 60hz images. The guys at system11.org say it might lag, but I'm not sure i believe it. I think you would just have image pulldown.
The 100 hz function is only enabled on 50 hz sources. It’s automatically disabled when feeding it 60 hz.
I don’t care about NTSC. I bought this to use with component cables for 480p60.

Thanks for correcting my original post, I initially thought all the PVMs were capable of displaying progressive scan.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
What you want is an 8" Sony PVM (professional video monitor) with an industry carrying case bag.

Small, bulletproof, easy to carry, sharp video inputs (S-Video and, depending on model, Component).

Top Bottom