• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you buy your Nintendo Controllers?

Cablue1992

Smash Rookie
Hello Smash Community,

I was wondering where everyone gets their Gamecube controllers, or whether or not they are able to fix theirs consitently so they can use them for multiple years. If anyone has the answers I would be very happy with hearing about where people get their controllers(besides amazon) or how they are able to continue fixing them!!

Thanks!

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
I just buy them at gamestop. If I don't like how they feel, I return them, no problem. And most of us don't really use the same controller forever. They last about a year on average, afterwhich why not just replace them? Unless you're SilentWolf, it shouldn't be too difficult a transition.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Errr I bought two originals: one silver one indigo and two "Wii compatible" ones: both white at GAMESTOP. Effing expensive. (would have gotten a wavebird if it didn't look like it went through SW)

Blizzard Flames

Smash Cadet
I heard GameStop sells the Silver ones. Third party stores like this one called GamePlaza in my neighborhood sells indigo and silver Nintendo controllers. I heard you can also get them from Nintendo's online store but I am unable to find a link. There's Amazon, and there like $1.50, but its like $10+ shipping and handling.

gghhh3

Smash Apprentice
I bought 2 new silver ones at a gamestop, got 2 from kids around school, and one from a pawn shop.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I was able to find some good (legit) ones at a local pawn shop.

Other than that, I see them once and a while in some stores like gamestop etc.

unknown522

Some guy
I got mine from the nintendo website. It got shipped in a week late, so it got in the wednesday after ROM (though it would've been nice if it came on time, so I wouldn't have SD'd so much there).

Spit-wad

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how good these controllers are?

They're all over Ebay, and they're usually pretty cheap. They look the same as the Nintendo ones, just without the "Nintendo" writing - they're all advertised that they "work exactly the same as Nintendo controllers".

Proverbs

Smash Lord
BAD. Dont' get them. The buttons are all wacky and the control stick wears out in a second. It's really one of the worst controllers I've ever owned. I thought it wouldn't be that bad, but I was SO wrong. Don't get them.

dmac

Smash Champion
they are awful. someone in the crew bought it as a joke, and it was really really bad. like you had to try it to believe how bad.... bad button press feedback, terrrrrrible control sticks, not meant for real smashin

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I got mine from the nintendo website. It got shipped in a week late, so it got in the wednesday after ROM (though it would've been nice if it came on time, so I wouldn't have SD'd so much there).
I dunno if I could play with a brand new controller for very long let alone a tourney. Isn't that dangerous or something? It's like wearing brand new shoes to a marathon.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Does anyone know how good these controllers are?

They're all over Ebay, and they're usually pretty cheap. They look the same as the Nintendo ones, just without the "Nintendo" writing - they're all advertised that they "work exactly the same as Nintendo controllers".
wads of ****
Even the texture of the plastic mold is different
the D-Stick on one I used stuck for a whole 10 minutes, I set a timer
the buttons just straight up suck, and the shoulders feel wack

I'm gonna try to get a playasia one.

D

Deleted member

the 3rd party ones are okay so long as you don't play a game with a refined set of inputs required to play it wel. On the gamecube, that's pretty much only smash. They're great for 1 player games and RPGs.

edit: I build my own, then I have my electrician friend rewire them in gold. I usually only do 1 per year, and it's somewhere in the $200-$250 range.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Well, i've already been to three gamestops today, and none of them have a decent controller. I've placed my order and I should have it within 10 days. If anyone's interested, i'll let you know how it turns out.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
My first one was a silver from GameStop. Worked great for about 8 months.

...Then it had an unfortunate collision with the wall. =p

Spit-wad

Smash Cadet
Well, i've already been to three gamestops today, and none of them have a decent controller. I've placed my order and I should have it within 10 days. If anyone's interested, i'll let you know how it turns out.
Yeah, would definitely be interested - never bought from that site before, so I'd like to know if it's legit, etc.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Easiest thing to do is to ask your gamer friends who aren't smashers but probably own a gamecube which has been sitting in their basement/attic/closet for 5 years.

I recently bought an orange cube controller from a friend (the controller belonged to his sister) and the thing felt like I'd taken it out of a newly opened package. Absolutely amazing.

Otherwise buy online. Do not buy anything that isn't first party and be prepared to drop a reasonable amount of money. I thought I could get away with a $5 controller that I spotted. The thing literally just fell apart in front of me as soon as I started playing. Hell, the wire sheathing came loose, the control stick grip is gone, the buttons are just wack etc. Don't waste your money.

So in short:
You probably have friends with old game cubes -> Talk to them
Buy first party controllers online -> Be Careful
Do what my friend did and buy a boxed gamecube just for the controller -> lol

The-Guy

Smash Cadet
Buy a a licensed Nintendo one off of amazon. I think white and silver the cheapest. If Color is the issue, just paint it. I've already painted two of mine.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Make shure your controler isn't third party, and that it's wired. Used ones usually have been tampered with (missing rumble etc.).

They don't make them anymore, so god knows if you'll find one at your local gamestop. Try amazon.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yeah, I saw a Gamecube with a controller at EB Games the other day for $29.99. That's probably everyone's best bet for a first party controller lol

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Aren't the Gamecube packages in Canada preused or something? I might on plan on buying the whole set and just sell it just like someone said here in this thread.

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
Lolwut you can turn rumble off? I better keep that a secret from friends; they get mindgamed by the rumble as a result of my up-b :)

I got my official Nintendo one as part of a used Gamecube package. New silver ones at Gamestop cost $40 last I checked, which is ridiculous.

I have friends with positive experiences buying used ones off Amazon.

Also, the "For Compatible with Gamecube" ones aren't that bad. I got a white one thinking that it was an official Nintendo controller. Stick was more sensitive than an official controller, but it's something you get used to. It'll wear out, though, much faster than a regular controller, but it's not the godawful end of the world controller everyone makes it out to be; definitely usable as a temporary stand-in or backup controller. I actually bought two, and never encountered problems of sticky control sticks, stiff buttons, etc.

Also, consider buying a tri-wing screwdriver from Deal Extreme. 88 cents, free shipping, let's you open up your controller to do maintenance. No reason not to.

Top Bottom