• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

D

Deleted member

Focus on your movement, you kind of just do stuff with no real flow to it. It's not 2.1 tink anymore, everything comes together.
aka more tech skill/option covering

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
Focus on your movement, you kind of just do stuff with no real flow to it. It's not 2.1 tink anymore, everything comes together.
aka more tech skill/option covering
Hm...

I'll see what I can do. How would you define flow though? In the heat of battle, I guess I never really noticed how random my movement was.

I just recently picked up Toon Link during 2.5b ahah.

Anything specific in terms of match up though?

The match I had with Xethos (the Snake guy) was pretty random, but that's because he wasn't comfortable playing in silence. He's MUCH better than what the video shows.

Dedede, makes me play very differently from my other matchups I normally play (Ike, Mario, Snake).

In the best of seven, I went full aggro, to get my hands flowing, and in certain points of the match (namely, Delfino Plaza, and Green Hill Zone), I almost had the game winning kill, before being smacked around like a pin ball, and losing my lead (and in turn, the game).

EDIT:

Seven games to watch is a bit daunting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpqEI-Clpo&list=PLnlhbqKWCybVf3NGAk_u6oXBqcawuzuNw

My PS2 game was one of the more interesting ones within the best of seven.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Zach is right. You ought to work on moving better.

I also noticed that you F-Smash a lot, often times where a F-Tilt or D-Smash would be better.

F-Smash is strong, but it's got a lot of start up to just be throwing out like that. A lot of times you would have punished Dedede if you'd opted for a D-Smash instead. You also would have been better off F-Tilting the Waddle Dees rather than F-Smashing them, though it'd be best to just ignore them all around. They're not a real threat to you once they start walking around. Unless they're messing up your zoning game, screw'em.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
Zach is right. You ought to work on moving better.

I also noticed that you F-Smash a lot, often times where a F-Tilt or D-Smash would be better.

F-Smash is strong, but it's got a lot of start up to just be throwing out like that. A lot of times you would have punished Dedede if you'd opted for a D-Smash instead. You also would have been better off F-Tilting the Waddle Dees rather than F-Smashing them, though it'd be best to just ignore them all around. They're not a real threat to you once they start walking around. Unless they're messing up your zoning game, screw'em.

Yeah, I've noticed. The D-Smash is a really nice move to get out at unsuspecting opponents.

I'm still trying to Crouch Cancel it more often, so I don't do the Dash Attack.

How useful is F-Tilt in general by the way? I almost never have a use for it, except for maybe a quick trade, or follow up.

Lastly, do you have any videos a Tink pro like you could share to a novice like me? aha.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I find F-Tilt useful in a fair amount of situations, but I also play a very run-away / campy T.Link. It's really fast and covers a decent area above and in front of T.Link making it ideal for stopping things like aerial approaches and swatting away projectiles.

D

Deleted member

Toonlinks waveland and general platform game gives him tons of options to use for momentum, whether its a vertical combo or spacing/camping. TL isn't a run and bomb/rang like YL was, hes got a mixed moveset that allows to a very interesting character/option selection.

B.W.

Smash Champion
He's not a pure run-away character like Y.Link was, no. But he can still do it. And he's way better at it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I've got a video of my Toon Link against a Level 9 Wolf. The only reason I'm uploading a vid against a bot is because I don't have any competent people nearby to play with. Sorry about the poor quality, but at least you can see what's going on. Please critique this, I want to know where I stand/what I can improve at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjq8UWou-xI&feature=youtu.be

B.W.

Smash Champion
Any footage you show having to do with a CPU is hard to judge simply because we can't see how you adapt to an opponent that can think.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Any footage you show having to do with a CPU is hard to judge simply because we can't see how you adapt to an opponent that can think.
I realize this, but it's all I've got. None of my friends are interested in this kind of stuff, & there are no tournaments or anything near where I live. Not soon anyway...

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
That's odd. I don't think that has ever happened to me.
Zach cleared it up to me on the Toon Link Skype group.

If Toon Link is too close to the stage, the chain simply will not connect. It's PM's collision data that causes this.

Also, BW, what's your Skype name? I'll add you to the group.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I feel like theres only a few active TLs... I want to discuss so much TL stuff but there's not enough people to constantly keep something going.
Skype Group somebody?
I'm game for a Skype group. I think my Skype name is live:tarinmillsap_2 because I was never given the option to pick a name, so it kind of forced one onto me.

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's uh. Project-05 I think. I haven't used Skype in a really long time.

Also I guess that makes sense. I always make sure I'm not too close to the stage because the same thing happens in Melee basically

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
Added both of ya.

Just accept my friend invite, and I'll redirect you guys onto the Skype group.

Also, @Big

I would give some TL critique on ya, even if it is a cpu, but... I need a lot of work myself lol. I'm not qualified.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Anybody have any tricks they want to share? Like bomb / arrow / boomerang stuff. When I pull out a bomb in the neutral, I do a mix of zbombing arrowbombing and agt. If they shield I usually do the standard re-catch into throw. When I'm trying to gimp, I usually jump off stage with a bomb, agt down, catch with air dodge up and throw back down. If it hits I just act on impulse, whatever I think will work, fair, dair etc. If it misses I DI back towards the stage and throw a boomerang, then patiently wait for the dtilt spike. I like arrow bombing, z bombing, and up b bombing by the ledge. If I'm going for the ledge I either rar wavedash or, if I have a bomb, rar jump agt toward the ledge and throw the bomb up or down. At the right spacing, you should grab the ledge, and if the opponent gets hit by the bomb you have a good opportunity for a dair.

I don't know anything about the rang or arrow, its mostly just some brawl AT's like the land cancelled arrow or throwing out tilt range in neutral. Often times I tilt throw a boomerang and smash throw a bomb at it. It makes a wall at ground level and short hop height.

Anybody have any throw tech? Like dthrow combos or uses for up, forward and back throw?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Up/Down Throw > Up-Air

Up/Down Throw > Up-B

Back Throw (off the stage) > Edge guard

Isn't Arrow-Bombing and Z-Bombing with T.Link useless? Unless it was changed, Z-Bombing doesn't send the bomb anywhere, and neither does Arrow-Bombing really.

Also AGTing down > bomb catch seems... pointless? Just fastfall if you want to go down.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
I use it just because it sends the bomb in a different trajectory that the opponent has to react to. Other times I do it just to agt at a different angle. The agt down - act up I use to change how I get up from the ledge. I can agt towards the stage and try to land. Agt up to try and land on platforms. Fall of the ledge and time an up-b which sends the bomb in an upwards diagonal direction. Do nothing and just recatch. Plus at that close of a range, you can combo off the hit. For edgeguarding the bomb will be thrown up and you will be hanging on the ledge. If it falls and hits while the opponent is recovering, you can react with dair reverse fair bair or fall then up b. If it missed, you still have the ledge. Of course it doesn't have to be down then up, you could just time a fall and agt up - double jump - grab ledge.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Isn't Arrow-Bombing and Z-Bombing with T.Link useless? Unless it was changed, Z-Bombing doesn't send the bomb anywhere, and neither does Arrow-Bombing really..
I think they both work. Z-bombing requires the right hit of the chain, and arrow bombing requires the arrow be stale..

B.W.

Smash Champion
Last build I tried it in, those bomb tricks didn't work. The bomb wouldn't go anywhere

B.W.

Smash Champion
Last build I tried it actually was 2.5b. I'm going to try it again when I get the chance

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Z-Air bombing & arrow bombing both work for Tink. For arrow bombing, the arrow has to be staled. Also, I find Tink's Z-Air bomb easier & more useful to do than Link's Z-Air bomb.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Z-Air bombing & arrow bombing both work for Tink. For arrow bombing, the arrow has to be staled. Also, I find Tink's Z-Air bomb easier & more useful to do than Link's Z-Air bomb.
Are you using Smashboards Dark theme or NeoBlue?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'll give it a try then.

EDIT: Oh hey, it does work now. I wonder when they made it possible. Looks like I have another trick to incorporate into my T.Link game.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll give it a try then.

EDIT: Oh hey, it does work now. I wonder when they made it possible. Looks like I have another trick to incorporate into my T.Link game.
Just like Bair DJ/WL lol

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Arrow Bombing?

What would that be by any chance?
Stale your arrow, you just need to shoot one iirc. And then pull a bomb. Full hop, z drop at apex of your jump, then press b. The arrow should hit your bomb and go straight up. From there you can regrab the bomb or agt it.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Everything has its purpose, to some extent.

What's with people and Blue/Red/Green themes getting all messed up? Does nobody like standard/default anymore?

D

Deleted member

No its not, you have to even have a stage like ghz, draculas, wario, etc, and be close enough to walljump. You could just do a regular AGT up b into it, and up b afterwards...

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It's easier than normal AGTing.

Yeah, but you need a wall to do it. Like, in that situation it would have been better to just sweetspot up+b or tether the edge, what TL did was both more risky and gave him unnecessary damage.

Top Bottom