• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Which character has the best B Air?**

D13

Smash Ace
I'm going to say Toon Link. He can chain like ten thousand of them together. G&W's bair is also great.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You're joking when you made this thread right?

It's no contest. G&W's back aerial is the best one in the game. It is easily a contender for best overall attack in the game.

In case you don't understand why it is awesome:
1. It ****ing destroys shields.
2. Because it destroys shields, you'll shield stab 90% of the time you use this attack. Counters Marth's Up-B out of shield ftw.
3. This attack does good damage. About 16% undiminished if all the hits connect if I recall.
4. While this attack shield stabs, the last hit of the attack (or the hit from land lag) has more knockback than the others, making this attack extremely hard to punish.
5. HUGE disjointed range.
6. The shield destruction factor does not (noticeably) diminish with overuse. Spam this move to keep your kill moves undiminished.
7. A big part of this game revolves around punishing your approaching opponent from a shield. This move bypasses this critical tactic. THIS IS ****ING BIG.

Seriously, there is no other back aerial (or for that matter, most any other attack) that conforms nearly as well to the Brawl physics engine as this one does.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Seriously not enough love for DK's giant foot of doom. No, it's not the best in the game (that would be G&W) but DK's bair is powerful, has AMAZING range and can go twice in a shorthop. Combos really well, can pseudo wall-of-pain off the edge, and just plain kills people. Seriously. It's good.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Um...are we taking into account the fact that a Bair (or any move, really) only benefits a character when considered in the light of the rest of that character's moveset, and movement, and metagame, and everything else? For instance, most people wouldn't consider Ivysaur's Bair to be one of the best, but Ivysaur would be nearly unplayable without it. With it, he is simply unapproachable from behind. It creates a zone of perfect safetly behind him in a 180 degree arc, for a long way, it can be SHFFLd, and it interrupts most moves. But it doesn't kill people under any circumstances. For a character like Ivysaur, who is very vulnerable to edge-ganking but has a lot of good killing moves already, it is an insanely good addition to his moveset. But if you took the same Bair and put it on, say, Kirby, it would make him worse. It would take away a large portion of his edge-guarding game and decrease his ability to knock away pursuers.
All I'm saying is, have some perspective. Making a list of "best Bairs" is shortsighted.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
i'm confused as how this is actually a discussion
the turtle has zero landing lag. a full hit will tear through 50% of your shield. there is NO punishing it, even if they totally miss. shieldgrab is out of the question because of GaW's air maneuverability. it combos into nair, bair. it pokes through shield....do i have to go on? this shouldnt even be a thread of debate.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
First of all, the turtle is punishable, you just have to be good. Second, it tears through your shield only if you don't perfect block it, and a good player will. Third, it doesn't really combo into any of those things you mentioned.
I'm not saying that it isn't good, only that this isn't Melee we're talking about.

chansen

Smash Lord
Lucas, sure he's my main, but bair to stick combos are the easiest kills ive gotten. his bair combo's into all of his smashes and it can spike.

honorable mention: dedede, but sakurai intended for him to be top tier, so whatever.

saying g&w's bair is the best is like saying wario's dair is best. It just hits a lot of times. Sure its a good move but definitely not his best.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
It's not the best in the game, but Samus's bair is really good. Probably the most knockback out of all of her moves aside from maybe the d-tilt of death.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
First of all, the turtle is punishable, you just have to be good. Second, it tears through your shield only if you don't perfect block it, and a good player will. Third, it doesn't really combo into any of those things you mentioned.
I'm not saying that it isn't good, only that this isn't Melee we're talking about.

"you just have to be good" LOL
you have no idea what you're talking about sorry man

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
saying g&w's bair is the best is like saying wario's dair is best. It just hits a lot of times. Sure its a good move but definitely not his best.

*sigh* This is why post count is not related to intelligence, as is commonly believed.

chansen

Smash Lord

*sigh* This is why post count makes chansen far more intelligent than me.
Then when you don't know how to quote me saying it...it makes you look far worse. Prease learn to respect your elders.

Lucas' Bair spike is amazing
QFT!

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
As good as Toon Link's is, I think Falco's is far better and more versatile. You can hit with it from any part of Falco's body, it only has 2 or 3 frames then it's out, and it STAYS out for a while. It's so reliable and one of the best (if not THE best) edgeguards for surprise KOs at higher percentages.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
"you just have to be good" LOL
you have no idea what you're talking about sorry man
Okay, dude. That sounds like a challenge, if we ever meet. Look forward to it.

Edit: Actually, I should probably be more specific, just to show you that I do know what I am talking about. I will not bring up the obvious point that any standard move can be punished with a well-timed counter, especially if the move is anticipated. Don't even count that as part of my argument. I will just say that a perfect block canceled into a roll behind G&W leaves him open to a grab. I have done that very thing to G&W before. In fact, if the move is anticipated, you don't even have to block. Just get to the side he isn't attacking on, and do something before he puts the poor turtle away.

Like I said, the move is good. It just isn't unpunishable. Nothing is, as far as I can tell, in this game. I do get hit by it often whenever I play against G&W, but if it becomes predictable, then it becomes a hindrance, not a help. And as for comboing into stuff, well, I will only say that I have perfect-block-grab punished Meta Knight's jab combo after getting hit by the first few strikes of it. Combos just aren't the same in Brawl as they were in Melee. Of course, if by combo you didn't mean "verifiable hit followup," then I apologize. I may have misunderstood you.

I'll still fight your G&W anytime, with any character I play, though. Just say the word (though I make no promises in an online match, of course).

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Your mom has the best back air. Lol!

Classic.
Oh my. This is definitely the most intelligent thing anyone has said in this entire ridiculous topic. I am utterly dumbfounded, and am shortly going to go cut catmunnies' name into my arm with an exacto knife as a tribute to his vast, albeit hard to spot, intelligence.

And if you think I'm kidding, well, I am. Except about the cutting myself part. And the smartest thing being said part. And the intelligence part. So I guess I'm really not kidding. Except about the cutting myself part. I'm not really into that.

:034:

Smash Hero
Dedede has an amazing bair as well. It's his fastest aerial, does good damage, is amazing for edgeguarding and it can KO pretty easily as well. Plus, the range on it isn't bad either.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
yeah the mr. game and watch's back air is the best. its like chuck norris. you know it's coming, but can't do anything about it. lol.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
1. G&W (***** sheilds)
2. Toon Link (combos so well)
3. Ike (fast, powerful)
4. Yoshi (his best move)
5. Lucas (amazing spike)

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna say there is no debate here and G&W's Bair is hands down the best.

Someone before me said all you have to do is to perfect-shield the turtle, therefore it isn't the best. What the hell? What a weak point. You can perfect-shield ANY Bair and any move in the game for that matter, its irrelevant to weather G&W has the best Bair or not.

SheikahKun

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm just devoted to knowing Sheik's good moves, so her needle storm is great ^_^

Diagonal throw, intercept opponents... yeah..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucas's B-air sucks IMO. It's too slow and the spike is very situational.

*sigh* This is why post count is not related to intelligence, as is commonly believed.
Yeah. Having a low post count doesn't make you intelligent LOL!

Setting that aside, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. G&W's B-air is way better than Wario's D-air. The thing is it has a LOT more horizontal range than vertical range, so it is perfect for shield stabbing. In fact, the hits do a LOT of shield damage. It does more shield damage than most Smash attacks. Wario's D-air doesn't. Why did you bother bringing that up again?

*sigh* It's annoying when people bring up post count.

Lulz at whoever mentioned perfect shielding the B-air. They still will likely get shield stabbed.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Snake's is awsome in a sexfully beastly way. Hell, you don't even have to RAR it to hit from the front...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake's is awsome in a sexfully beastly way. Hell, you don't even have to RAR it to hit from the front...
If Snake whiffs his B-air, he easily gets punished. Therefore it isn't the best.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
A2ZOMG I was quoting another guy, if you look Im the TC and the guy who put G&W's B Air as the best. Sorry I didnt make it was clear I was quoting someone else

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
wolf. kills relatively early, combos, nearly unpunishable, no landing lag, incredibly fast start up time, very little air lag, great range, and perfect edgeguarding tool.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
i gotta say TL. HUGE (disjointed) hitbox, high priority, quick to come out, no lag, combos at low percentages, kills at high percentages. Good for approaching, edgeguarding, comboing, generally spamming. Also, doesn't require sweet spotting to be awesome.

Game and watch's is ****ing good too, but it just doesn't have the same knockback.

Top Bottom