• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character (if any) would you reccomend cpu training against.

CYAN!

Smash Rookie
As yoshi, I know that cpu training < Wi-Fi brawl training, but im very unconfident about my skills atm with yoshi. Ive used lucario in wi-fi brawl and its fine. And my yoshi is 10X better than my lucario though i still have yet to go wi-fi with yoshi more than once (In a battle against a lucario, I won :D)

I was just thinking that cpu'training could help me get the feel of what that type of character could do to yoshi in certain perdicaments. Am i wrong to do this, will it hurt my game with yoshi or help it (however slightly it may be).

How should i go about this?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Any CPU as long as it's Lvl 1. You develop the least bad habits from training against those, while also developing a solid feel for the character.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure level 1, and not 9?
Yes. You don't practice against computers if you want to play against people. If you want to train against computers, Lvl 1 will be good just so you can practice your combos and what not. You should have a feel for what combos will work, or wont work in a real game setting.

Playing against lvl 9 computers teaches you how to make many assumptions that can ultimately hurt you when you play against actual people. The lvl 9 computers are programed to react to what you do. They perfect shield, roll, dodge at at inhuman speeds.

The only real way to develop good mindgame skills is to play against actual people.

.Marik

is a social misfit
So... playing against LV.9 computers hurts your game? Or does it make you better? O_o Well, for me, I always play against three LV.9 computers... but since I'm already an advanced player... the situation is kinda different.....

Also, I'd say make the computers slightly harder than LV.1, which isn't a challenge at all. Maybe not LV.9, but definetly highter than LV.1. But this is just my opinion, do what you want to do. :yoshi:

Gindler

Smash Champion
I'd say level 3 for the point of practicing combos on a "punching bag". Since level 3's can do somethings (occasionally perfect shield) but yeah 9's are easy to beat they just always know when to dodge or shield based on your button input. So I'd still recommend trying to find a smashfest around you or something of the sort.

Mahjix

Smash Cadet
I agree with what DstyCube has stated.
This would explain why I don't play my games... I have no one else to play. :\

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It depends on what you're practicing.
If you're going for tech skill or combos (both of which are few and far between in Brawl), as well as a general understanding of how your character moves, recovers, works, etc., use a level 1 CPU.
If you want to test out how those things you practice really work against opponents, you'll have to find a real person.
If you've gotten to a point where you just want to play a level 9 CPU, just put the game down. One or two might help, but a computer really doesn't come close to the experience you could gain by using a friend.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Level 9 computers will definitely make you develop bad habits by making the same mistakes over and over again. Mistakes, which a real person would only make once or twice. So you'll get used to exploiting these mistakes, which won't work on real people.

Level 1 computers on the other hand, won't do much at all, you can basically use them as sandbags. Since sandbags don't react, there is a minimal chance of developing bad habits. There still is one, though, for example, they will pretty much always recover in the same way, so you could get used to using a particular type of edgeguard against them.

So, the verdict is, avoid if possible, and if you really need to do it, use level 1 computers. If you really want a challenging training opponent, there is no way around a real person anyways, since even level 9 computers will get boring once you know how to beat them.

Sharky

Smash Master
Agreed with all of the above. If you absolutely feel the need to play level nines, make the character random, so that you don't get used to any character's habits. Also constantly analyze what you're doing, as yourself "would that have worked on a human?" The answer is most likely no. =P

.Marik

is a social misfit
S***... I always played LV.9 computers, due to it being more of a challenge... are you guys saying that my game skill decreased, because of that? I always thought that LV.9's are smarter, and are more of a challenge, then let's say, a LV.6 computer. So now I would be better prepared against humans in a tournament..... :urg:

But then again, I'm already a developed and advanced player... and I haven't learnt any bad habits... as far as I can tell... >_>

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
S***... I always played LV.9 computers, due to it being more of a challenge... are you guys saying that my game skill decreased, because of that? I always thought that LV.9's are smarter, and are more of a challenge, then let's say, a LV.6 computer. So now I would be better prepared against humans in a tournament..... :urg:

But then again, I'm already a developed and advanced player... and I haven't learnt any bad habits... as far as I can tell... >_>
Not at all. You can still get in a lot of decent practice playing against lvl 9 CPUs. The main thing I was trying to say is that playing against them may cause you develop bad habits. Opfer summed it up very nicely. ;)

The way the CPUs are programed to play is to react instantaneously to any button input you make. By doing certain moves, or moving in certain ways you can effectively control what options the computer is going to take. i.e. - If you hit a lvl 9 CPU into the air, it will immediately air dodge as soon as it is possible. In actuality people will not be able to air dodge as quickly. Consequences? Many characters have effective utilt combos which can work very effectively on people at low percents (lol yoshi vs snake, utilt juggle -> uair XD). Lvl 9 CPUs on the other hand can actually get an air dodge off before the next hit. You may say to yourself that it doesn't work, and choose to completely abandon using it.

If you can get over point to not develop bad habits against computers, all the power to you.

Your tech skill shouldn't decrease from playing high lvl CPUs, but mindgames and tactics can suffer dramatically if you are not careful. There's a chance that 'auto-pilot' mode can kick in an actual game and can cause you to make a few mistakes. The bottom line is: People think, CPUs don't. Beating CPUs does not determine your skill against real people.

D

Deleted member

Well lvl 9 cpus definately dont help your game. The only way i really get better is through tournaments.

CYAN!

Smash Rookie
Thanks, Ill remember all of this. I still perfer level 9's instead of punching bags (for fun). I will however take what you said sereously. I noticed a huge difference between cpu defence and player defence, and if i can keep my mind thinking "ok, people cant do this but hopefully my own reaction time is going up from this." Maybe a level 9's worth it in some stance as long as i dont let my skills against real players suffer and allow it to help me in some way. Which it has dramatically, Last week i couldent even use yoshi for nothin Now i manage to land on par with one of my friends who main in ice climbers in wi-fi.

Anyways, Thank you all for your suggestions and informational posts Ill remember them.

Top Bottom