• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which items do you tolerate?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Let's face it. No matter how often you disable all items and set the frequency to None, you are bound to run into item trolls and n00bs. Unfortunately there is no real way to prevent items from spawning online, so you settle for some compromise. Which items do you grudgingly tolerate before disconnecting everyone?

I will start with the few I put up with, which are mostly items that aren't overly powerful:

1. Smoke balls - These are pointless anyway, so they don't bother me too much. I just ignore them.

2. Team healer - These only show up in Team Battle, and since you can't self-heal from one, I find them to be a somewhat innovative item. Fortunately they rarely heal high amounts at a time, so they tend not to sway the battle far in anyone's favor. As long as they're not set to high frequency, I can deal with them.

3. Food - Again, these don't heal too much, as long as they aren't coming from a party ball. If they are set to Low, I'll tolerate it. Maxim Tomatoes and Hearts are ridiculous, IMO.

4. Sandbag - This is one of the very few items I would ever actually select myself, and it is rare. It's a great item for dealing with projectile spammers. Just sit behind one and taunt at the spammers. This is also the only item I would ever place on high frequency, but never with anything else. Otherwise, it increases the chances of spawning other garbage.

5. Bunny ears - This is more of a "fun" item, and rarely overpowers a player.

6. Metal box - See above.

7. Springboards - See above.

Outside of the list above, I really don't tolerate much else. An all-bumper match can be fun once in a great while, but not with a serious group. Just about all other items are overpowered, IMO, and can seriously sway matches to ludicrous levels. Stickers are unavoidable, so I might grab some just to add to the collection. And anytime a CD spawns, that is an automatic n00b alert. If one spawns near me, I don't pick it up. I just wait to see which player runs to it, charge up a smash attack, and (maybe) let them have the CD... for a price. :-)

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
The only thing I can tolerate is Mr.Saturns.

I have fought a very decent player in a 1v1 online before and I saw a CD drop. Meaning.. Either they are a brawl prodigy or they just recently erased the game for whatever reason. So CD's aren't always a noob alert.

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why but I like bomb bombs, and shells. Seems to make for some hilarious kills, but if they are set above low its just too much. I'd much rather play straight up

:phone:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Forgot Mr. Saturns

The only thing I can tolerate is Mr.Saturns.

I have fought a very decent player in a 1v1 online before and I saw a CD drop. Meaning.. Either they are a brawl prodigy or they just recently erased the game for whatever reason. So CD's aren't always a noob alert.
Ah yes, how could I forget Mr. Saturns? Perhaps it is because I don't see them picked very often. They also can help walk other items off the stage, and they absorb projectile spam, but just not as effectively as sandbags.

You bring up a good point on CDs spawning from seasoned players. It's just that in Basic Brawl or Team Battle, it has been an effective indicator of new players about 95% of the time.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
You forgot the humour of Mr-Saturns, and that they are from a badass game called Earthbound, and that they are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute :shyguy:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I love noobs that use metal box thinking the extra power will make them own. They go near edges not realizing they now weigh a lot.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
smash balls for 3v1, other then that items off

there are occasions where i turn on projectile type items to hit people that are turtling hard core

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I like everything except bananas... they need to be taken out! *points at diddy-kongs only defence*

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
Anything that doesn't oneshot me. That means no smashballs, huge hotheads, homerun bat. I don't usually mind the latter because i always use counter and i oneshot the attacker.:troll:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I like sandbags because it doesn't do anything harmful for me or anything helpful for the other players.

Zulo

Smash Ace
I tolerate bananas because I've learned my way around them thanks to Diddy Kong. Makes them kinda sorta semi-legit. Let's see.. Sandbags I guess, Pokeballs would be okay if it weren't for Latios/Latias. They can be kinda fun and they're easy to avoid. Obviously not good for competitive groups though. Smart bombs, because nobody only can DI out of it lol.

I'm going to list the ones I hate too. Effing smoke balls. Home-run bats. Bumpers. Bobombs. rocket launchers. ASSIST TROPHIES. I can't even get rid of these by throwing them off stage so I have to use them. Lati pokeballs. Smash balls when there's a Sonic, spacies, Zelda/Sheik, Link, TL, Yoshi, Pikachu, Wario, Snake, Diddy, Pit, Dedede... /salt

link2702

Smash Champion
the fan :troll: cuz those noobs dont' know how to use it.

one of the best ways to troll/piss off a group of casuals, grab the fan(even better if i'm someone like sonic or metaknight where its practically impossible to escape) spam the A button on em the entire match right until the very last few seconds where i land the killing hit(usually downsmash cuz i pick meta :troll: )

EDIT: i also like it when noobs grab the metal box or super shroom...they don't realize it makes em chaingrab bait :D

Zulo

Smash Ace
Ugh really. My best hope is to glide and wait out the metalness. Not that I get metal boxes on purpose but I have before on accident because they just need to be hit.

I'd imagine Jigglypuff would have a hard time as well.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Charizard is vulnerable to the Metal Box too

^

In addition to the characters mentioned previously, Charizard, like the other gliders, is also vulnerable to the effects of the metal box. My faux-taunting Luigi took advantage of this fact in the very final seconds of the final vid in this clip, mere minutes after trolling the same exact group of taunters (with a double taunt KO for that matter) in the first vid. The best part was watching them all drop out one by one after that. Mwahahaha.

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
Super mushrooms are an invitation to get your *** kicked, get hit once and watch the pain.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Banana peels, motion sensor bombs, freezies, smoke balls, rolling crates, Mr. Saturns, sandbags, food, and team healers.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I like all items, but especially the ones that don't really help and only cause mayhem (exploding box)

tko112

Smash Lord
I can pretty much say that I can tolerate most of the items

whichever items can cause the most chaos and disorder in a match are usually the ones I tolerate w/ the most

except for the Bumper, it seems that the Bumper can OHKO if thrown very well

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I can tolerate most items except for any of these:

Super Mushroom
Poison Mushroom
Golden Hammer
Hammer
Super Scope
Cloak
Mine Bomb
Spicy Food
Starman**
Metal Box
Maximo Tomato
Hearts

Pretty much the above list I cannot tolerate whatsover especially Starman since people will use that to stay invincible most of the battle which sucks, otherwise I can manage to survive if any of the other items are spammed by a hacker which isn't a problem.

Beam Swords; I don't just tolerate, but wholeheartedly condone them. Any and all explosives, too, as well as Banana Peels and Soccer Balls. Pretty much anything that screws with the game's physics, for that matter.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I tolerate the items allowed in ISP (item standard play) and that's it

though if its a FFA and the people i'm playing are scrubby and don't even think when playing i can turn on pokeballs, AT and smashballs just cause its fun to me.

Top Bottom