• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which of Marth's three taunts do YOU use?

Torn

Smash Cadet
Continuing the established trend of threads that try to connect the Marth community by discussing specific preferences, I ended up being really wondering which taunt is the most popular ones amongst Marths.

The answers that will probably come will most likely be some derivation of "i use all of them lolol" but I'm pretty sure there are people like me who appreciate the consistency and style of using one taunt as a signature over the other two.

I started out Brawl using exclusively the up-taunt because up on the D-Pad was how I always taunted in Melee. Maybe around March 15th, I suddenly discovered that Marth has two other taunts that could be used. (Seriously. I didn't know until like a week after the release for some reason.)

Well, I ended up not being able to break the habit of using Marth's up-taunt, but I later discovered that out of the three of them, it's definitely the least stylish and worst looking.

I'm considering switching to the down-taunt for the retrostyling or maybe the side taunt on account of its general bad-assness.

I'd also like to know (secondary reason for this thread) which taunt is the most popular so I can adjust accordingly.

So which taunt do you guys use?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
mina metetegre the japanese epicness is awesome and online that's also the message wether i'm playing marth or not the bad-assness lives on

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
generally i just randomly hit side or up taunt with up being more frequent, but if i get a star ko i always do the up then side taunt.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
For mindgames I use the up taunt, it is the shortest and also looks like you're doing an usmash, if I do something really cool, or it's the end of the match I use the down taunt. I have been thinking about using the side taunt more though.

My favorite though is the down taunt.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Which taunt? Lol. I combo them. Up to side or down to side are my favorites. However since you asked for a favorite, i like the down taunt. Minna, miteite kure (everyone, please look) is awesome since it makes you feel like the star of the match. I wish he would say "so desu ne" (thats right!).

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I spam down taunt. No other taunt is as impressive., really. It's amusingly fun to down taunt your friends in FFA if they for some reason decide to play in a huge stage like New Pork City. In that case I simply run away from all the fighting and keep on taunting until everyone else dies or I'm forced to move again.

Whatever it is, I really hope that Marth does not get an English voice in the future Smash.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Lol

Marth's down-taunt has a 1-frame, tiny, barely perceptible sweetspot right as he swings his sword downwards and finishes the "mina" that does 420% to an opponent and changes the language setting on your Wii into Japanese.

Try it in competitive play; it is the ultimate mindgame.

Also, is this font difficult to read?

Torn

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
typical noob marth: gets a KO (uptaunt) lands an Fsmash (uptaunt) game over (everytaunt)
its not a signature, its cocky...if youve ever been to a tourney only the low skilled players taunt, its almost fact.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
kingofwaddles, I take it you don't like taunting. =(

For someone who mains Dedede you are on the Marth forums a good deal.

Torn

Smash Cadet
@kingofwaddles

@ kingofwaddles (A D3 mainer, I assume from the hilariously puerile name - how's the waddling?)

All throughout your history of posting on the Marth boards, you've done nothing but post these ridiculously poorly-reasoned arguments about how you hate Ken and hate people who are "cocky." I guess being the "king" of waddling, you'd know a lot about cocky people, wouldn't you?

Seriously, shut up. Don't automatically jump to the conclusion that anyone is trying to promote themselves or establish a monopoly on play-style just because they use the word "signature" or always make themselves red.

Ken is a legitimately skilled player who has honestly earned the right to speak with knowledge and reserve on the subject of Marth.

When you become the greatest D3 player the world has ever seen for 2 years, win numerous tournaments and tens of thousands of dollars, develop Dedede's metagame to a state of near-perfection, and have an epic combo named after you, then you will be cocky and people will tell you to shut the hell up.

As for me, I'm absolutely not trying to make any sort of statement about my skill level by wanting to be unique. I just don't like homogeneity and therefore would like a taunt that wouldn't be attributed to me or associated with me but just that I could use and feel like there's something to be said about taunting.

It's completely true that taunting is not widespread amongst tournament players, but I just watched a video today featuring Danimals and Lucky that had Lucky taunting every time he killed Danimals. It's true that some people who taunt habitually are of a lower-experience-level, but seriously, stop jumping to conclusions. There's nothing wrong with taunting if you know you're not going to get punished for it.

Torn

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Uh. Ok waddleman. I've come to notice a pattern to your posts in the marth forums and i ask you "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen". You must be a glutton for punishment really. As for me, i feel that you have earned the right to taunt after scoring a ko and it works to make your opponent more agressive on occasion (thus a semi-mindgame). When my opponent rushes in for an attack (smash preferrably) i counter which initiates the "soko da" (there it its) taunt. Its funny cuz marth talks smack to the opponent so you dont have to:)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ taunting is definitely an important mindgame. There is nothing funnier than an opponent becoming reckless and then owning themselves.

∫unk

Smash Master
D-taunt is obviously the sexiest. Try it at the beginning of the match for maximum annoyance. Sometimes I'll just do the Halo T-Bag. Dashdance in between stocks is good too.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Up-taunt and scream TIPPER!!!!!!!!! since you know, he holds is sword above his head and the tip of the blade sparkles.

perfect for when you get that ultra satisfactory taste of tipper fsmash.

( In fact, my wifi taunt says "TIPPER!!!!" for up-taunt.)

Torn

Smash Cadet
Dashdance in between stocks is good too.
Myself, I don't use the taunts at all. Dashdancing is the way to go.
I remember that what competitive Marths used to do was dashdance and run around SHFFL'ing some nairs in between stocks. I haven't watched as many Brawl tournament matches as Melee ones obviously, so I don't know if that's still popular.

It is true that you don't often see taunting in competitive play though; a SHFF'd nair actually looks much more badass and leaves you less open to attack.

Dashdancing between stocks, on the other hand can sometimes effectively mindgame an opponent into getting shielded and summarily punished during their two seconds of invulnerability, a time that otherwise would be wasted by avoiding.

That actually constitutes a tremendous advantage, if you think about it. Traditionally, the average player has been able to do exactly nothing during the opponent's game-given invincibility frames but with dashdancing between stocks, you can effectively attack the opponent's mind even when you can't attack their character.

Something to think about, I guess.

In conclusion: I think dashdancing between stocks is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills feeble-minded opponents and doesn't afraid of invincibility frames.

SHFFing nairs is good too.

Torn

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I also use dash dancing and foxtrotting as taunts. Sometimes what I do is after killing someone is attack the person after they respawn and then run of the edge and SD, or after I kill them I taunt (preferably down taunt, but up taunt works too) and then walk slowly of the edge.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Confused

Sometimes what I do is after killing someone is attack the person after they respawn and then run of the edge and SD, or after I kill them I taunt (preferably down taunt, but up taunt works too) and then walk slowly of the edge.
I have to admit; I'm more than a little confused by this statement. An SD after killing someone? I mean, I, like everyone else, run off the edge and fast-fall after star-killing the opponent's last stock for the lulz content, but if they respawned, shouldn't your time be better spent avoiding SDs instead of embracing them?

Unless....you meant something else, haha.

Like, in friendlies where you're so far ahead that you can afford them the humiliation of SDing and then gimping their last stock in a matter of seconds?

I'm confused.

Torn

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
I also use dash dancing and foxtrotting as taunts. Sometimes what I do is after killing someone is attack the person after they respawn and then run of the edge and SD, or after I kill them I taunt (preferably down taunt, but up taunt works too) and then walk slowly of the edge.
waittt...... you mean to say that you SD even though the match isn't finished yet?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^/^^ Yeah, but only during non serious play, mostly online in a match where I am much better than the other person. There is no way I would do in a tournament though. Instead of SDing I prefer to think of it as "advanced mindgames" =) lol

Torn

Smash Cadet
Toon Link's unfortunate spiking fixation...

^/^^ Yeah, but only during non serious play, mostly online in a match where I am much better than the other person. There is no way I would do in a tournament though. Instead of SDing I prefer to think of it as "advanced mindgames" =) lol

GOD, YOU JUST REMINDED ME.

My friend (a Toon Link mainer himself) ALWAYS does this. He proceeds to play a serious match with me up until about 2:00 in where he begins to convince me that the match is not serious by screwing around and breaking his shield and stuff and then proceeds to pretend to SD. WHEN I FOLLOW SUIT TO MESS AROUND, I GET A DAIR OF DEATH TO THE FACE AND A HEARTY LAUGH. CURSE YOU.

Eh, what can I say? It works.

Torn

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Another thing about SDing is that you rob them of the satisfaction of killing you, but I think the losses are greater than the gains. It also helps keep the game a little closer when playing someone of lesser ability. But it also it steals there satisfaction of winning, because they feel that they didn't really beat you, it also makes them look really bad when you win after SD (especially when you purposely SD at the start of the match). It's almost a little mean. (Just for the record though, I do not think that SDing is a good strategy)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Lol. I hate when my bro starts a match then bails out with SD's because he is losing so bad (marth on marth or other dittos are most common). Takes the fun out of it. But hey, i do it too (when i'm winning tho). I actually plan to taunt if i spike my opponent in a tournament regaurdless of my saftey. :)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
many people try to make a name for themselves by mimicing the greats of smash, of the past...like ken i used as an example...ill tell you what these cocky players do
(eventually achieve a KO)
either, continuously short hop & aerial attack, or taunt, as if they were imposing, you know what im talking about...but this no longer serves as a "mindgame" in brawl, since brawl is so much slower...people would only do these things in melee because of Lcanceling and unpredictability...maybe you cant comprehend how you are trying for this, or not trying.
or i am completely wrong, and you just like to aggravate people with taunts?
aggravating people wont make them play worse by far, it just makes you look like what you are. a cocky Ahole/elitist in smash.
apologies if this doesnt apply.
and im not some scrooge to the marth forums, but alot of marth mains choose marth just because they think he will own everyone, once again because they looked up to top tier players in melee. then there are honest marth mains, who understand the character they play...i dont think taunts are relevant to a skilled player
(i only say that because most posters act like they are skilled on the marth forums without proof to back it up)
and if i was the best king dedede player id have no reason to be cocky, only low skilled players succumb to cockiness.
Taunting doesn't automatically make you cocky. Its just to make the game fun. Its the "haha in your face" that usually gets returned by a ko if done improperly. I sorta wonder how you know what marth mains do when you arent one yourself. I happen to play my own way and acknowledge others for being good (ken is good, he won tournys, if that ain't proof what is). What taunts can you L-cancel??? I don't think there is much difference between taunting then and taunting now. No one ever said taunting makes you a pro (kinda doin a lot of reading between the nonexistent lines). Btw, taunting doesn't make you look cocky, it makes you look like a winner.:chuckle:

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
I use the down Taunt it's very short and can be used for mind games(sometimes)and if he is hit he will still continue to speak.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Down taunt, always... but that's a by-product of me consistently using the "Wa-wa-wa!" taunt with Wario.

∫unk

Smash Master
Waddles... you are so wrong on this. Taunt DOES annoy most opponents. After a non-lethal FSmash, when they are too far away to attempt a gimp and are coming back, you can easily get a taunt in just to piss them off. If it doesn't... who cares? You weren't doing anything anyway.

It's the same as **** talking, on many opponents it works.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Strategy thingy

Actually, I just thought of a legitimate use for a taunt in a competitive match as a mindgame.

Sometimes when you knock an opponent high into the air, their momentum is so great that you're unsure for a second whether or not their downwards DI will save them. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When you observe that their momentum has slowed, you can go ahead and try to use this tactic for fun.

When they slowly stop flying higher in the air and begin their descent, you could try to trick the opponent into thinking that you thought that they had just died by throwing out a taunt and running to an edge (as though you had just stocked them.)

Then they might try a reckless dair to "surprise you" at which point you can sidestep and punish with an u-smash or Dancing Blade.

That might work like 1 time out every 1000 times you try it, but if it works, it's oh-so-sweet.

Torn

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Uh. Ok waddleman. I've come to notice a pattern to your posts in the marth forums and i ask you "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen". You must be a glutton for punishment really. As for me, i feel that you have earned the right to taunt after scoring a ko and it works to make your opponent more agressive on occasion (thus a semi-mindgame). When my opponent rushes in for an attack (smash preferrably) i counter which initiates the "soko da" (there it its) taunt. Its funny cuz marth talks smack to the opponent so you dont have to:)
Me agree, what's wrong with Ken, and taunting? I personally prefer the side taunt (can u say "DRAGONSLAYER!"?). But then again, since my friend hates Japanese (in culture and in language) I use the down taunt, and it gets on his nerves soooo much.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
I like Marth's voice a lot, so I use his Melee taunt. And the taunt where he raises his sword; that's just laced with all sorts of bad***ery, so I use that too :laugh:

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I just thought of something. Online taunts work awesome too, almost even more so. In "with anyone" matches, I hunt down a specific opponent (highest skilled opponent, falco, fox, or marth). After killing them I taunt furiously. This usually leads to a second ko since i play well against agressive opponents. In friendlies, I use "combo taunts". "Wait a sec" is my favorite since it leads to any of my other taunts. ("Wait a sec..." to "you just got dunked" is my favorite):laugh:

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
Side Taunt. Occasionally i use the Up Taunt, but i think Side Taunt has more of a look to it. :)
Oh and his Down Taunt is when i just feel like having fun.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
It's completely true that taunting is not widespread amongst tournament players, but I just watched a video today featuring Danimals and Lucky that had Lucky taunting every time he killed Danimals. It's true that some people who taunt habitually are of a lower-experience-level, but seriously, stop jumping to conclusions. There's nothing wrong with taunting if you know you're not going to get punished for it.
Torn

Very good point at the end. Taunting can be used even as a way to mess with your opponent. Taunt appropriately and you will annoy them.

See rule 2 of Sir 0rion's topic on taunting etiquette.

While this topic is humorous and mostly a joke he does have some good points. Taunts can be used to annoy your opponent. And the more annoyed your opponent is, the worse they'll play. Sure it looks cocky but it gets them annoyed and allows you beat them while they're frustrated with you. I try to make use of taunts when an opponent is launched high and will take time to make it back to the ground. If I don't need to position myself then why not taunt while I wait for them to make it back to the ground and then continue to juggle them/push them toward the edge?

If someone did this to you consistently in a tournament match wouldn't you be seriously annoyed? I would. That's why taunting does have a place. And Marth's uptaunt is a great one to use while people are falling as it looks like an upsmash (if that's your style). I personally use Ness' uptaunt from time to time during moments where I'd normally be waiting as it is quick, easy to spam and incredibly annoying.

But to answer your question: my most preferred taunt is Marth's down taunt.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Very good point at the end. Taunting can be used even as a way to mess with your opponent. Taunt appropriately and you will annoy them. [...] Taunts can be used to annoy your opponent.
Oh hell yeah. Try spamming Wario's down taunt and see how it goes:

"Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa! Wa-wa-wa!" :chuckle:

Top Bottom