• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Side Should Characters KO Opponents At?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know you were still on the basic; I apologise. And diregard the basics? Never! I like to build on the basics.

Apologies if I come across hostile. Sometimes I end up seeming MAD ANGRY GRRR without meaning to.

(also stop posting zomg massive messages ;-; )
Don't worry. That's pretty much like me too. :) I take things too seriously some times when clearly according to other people, it shouldn't really matter and sometimes they tell me to settle down. >_> However, it didn't seem like you were hostile with your posts from my point of view. I thought you were just stating the obvious of what REALLY happens in tournaments or something like that. Although then again, you can't really pick up human emotions from the internet so maybe I couldn't really tell how you were at the time of your post. Anyway who doesn't build from the basics? You'd have to be pretty stupid not to... >_>

Also, sorry about that giant wall of text. I have trouble simplifying my opinions/answers. I usually get carried away like this when I have to explain something to someone. >_> I always have this weird instinct to give reasons why I'm doing something and or explain about how certain things work from top to bottom as well as providing examples if I can think of any. Yep, I ALWAYS got to explain them in FUUUUULL DEEEEETAAAAIIIL. I swear it's like as if school has cursed me somehow...:dizzy: I can't really help it though because at first, it was considered to be an issue from other people however, now it feels like it's just something that is part of my life that I can't really get over. :ohwell: Oh well, at least I can do well in my assignments! :) That's something good I guess.

Oh BTW, thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me so far! Keep it coming as not all of the characters have been covered in this thread yet. When I get my homework done, I might put everything I've got so far from everyone into a list which people can refer to. BTW, doing all of this work is giving me an idea...But you guys will have to wait for what it is that I'm thinking of doing. Also FYI, I've already thought of a name for it, but I'm not telling ANYONE what it is as it WILL spoil the surprise that is yet to come. :p

At The_NZA (lol): Hmm... this may be of some assistance. This looks very interesting BTW...*Goes back to looking at the referred thread*

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Yoshi's best kill moves kill from the top. That 0% fair spike kill is pretty juicy, though.

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Samus is a very versatile killer. The moves she can use to kill kinda balance out between off the top and horizontal. Fsmash, grapple gimping, and Utilt (hit by the foot while it is coming down) usually score a horizontal kill and Dsmash/Dtilt are what usually would kill vertically.

I tend to get more kills horizontally with Link with Fsmash and Fair 2nd hit and Spin Attack.

Fox can get more vertical kills than horizontal due to running Usmash, slightly less powerful Utilt, and Uair.

Sheik is mostly horizontal gimping power. Her smash attacks are quite weak and unless I get a DAC or an edge Fsmash or something, I usually don't get a kill in.

Falco is very versatile as well with his DAC and very nice Uair and his Fsmash and Bair are fantastic killers. Not to mention his CG > Spike >.>

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
Samus is a very versatile killer. The moves she can use to kill kinda balance out between off the top and horizontal. Fsmash, grapple gimping, and Utilt (hit by the foot while it is coming down) usually score a horizontal kill and Dsmash/Dtilt are what usually would kill vertically.

I tend to get more kills horizontally with Link with Fsmash and Fair 2nd hit and Spin Attack.

Fox can get more vertical kills than horizontal due to running Usmash, slightly less powerful Utilt, and Uair.

Sheik is mostly horizontal gimping power. Her smash attacks are quite weak and unless I get a DAC or an edge Fsmash or something, I usually don't get a kill in.

Falco is very versatile as well with his DAC and very nice Uair and his Fsmash and Bair are fantastic killers. Not to mention his CG > Spike >.>
nice first post (for now anyways)

Anyways once I thought about watching a bunch of vids of every character and recording where they all got every kill but I decided it would be way too muck work. But what if I or someone made a thread asking people to chip in on this project? We could get a bunch of data on this topic and it wouldn't be too much work.

Maybe its hot worth making into a thread though.

Good idea, not?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
nice first post (for now anyways)

Anyways once I thought about watching a bunch of vids of every character and recording where they all got every kill but I decided it would be way too muck work. But what if I or someone made a thread asking people to chip in on this project? We could get a bunch of data on this topic and it wouldn't be too much work.

Maybe its hot worth making into a thread though.

Good idea, not?
Yeah, I'm thinking that this thread can work out if most people can pitch in what they know. Also once I get enough data, I'll summarize everything that I've been given into something which everyone can refer to. Also, this will be a branch for something that will be quite useful that is yet to come later. ;) I'm thinking that as soon as I'm on holidays, that will be the best time for me to start the project. I've just got SOOO MUCH work to do now, it's not fair...:(

Um, If I'm not busy tonight, I'll try to summarize everything that I've being told so far in my first post.

EDIT: I've updated the guide. Check it out to see whether I'm right or not so far. More contribution for the unmentioned characters would be greatly appreciated! :)

KirbyBeatBox

Smash Rookie
For Kirby IMO the best is actually trying to KO Horizontally or just plain down. I find it's easy to kill with a hammer hit, F-Smash, bair, or if your lucky a solid hit from Kirby's rock. Otherwise I just go for a spike with a dair when I feel it's necessary.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Ice climbers I would say prefer horizontally.
Chaingrabs -> Upsmash are easy kills around 90-110%, while an Fsmash is easier to DI and survive.
Belay kills are verticle, dsmashs are verticle kills too, fsmash only kills when they're close to the edge.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Sonic both sides.
You can do U-throw > Spring > U-air at 100% or so for a top kill, but his F-smash and D-smash kill at 110% average too.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I've updated it. I've taken a whack at it with other characters that haven't been mentioned yet. Although, I'm not 100% sure whether they are in the right place or not. This is just what I think from playing Wi-Fi long ago. Yes, Wi-Fi is bad, but I don't need anybody telling me that.

Uhh what about spikes are you guys counting those? JW
Cause they're are alot of spikes. >_>
I MIGHT include spikes and possibly those who are good at gimping too. I was thinking about that at one stage so I might include them later if I'm not busy.

I think barge meant vertically.
Oh sorry. School has been driving me crazy with all of this work I've been getting lately. >_> I haven't had a good sleep for a while so I can't really think straight...:(

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I'll fill in what I can here...

Squirtle- Squirtle has two moves that KO vertically. Usmash and Uthrow and Uthrow won't be used that often. Uair can too but only at higher percentages. Squirtle can fair to KO horizontally, and Fsmash can too. Squirtles most common kill move is probably Dthrow which KOs horizontally. So I'd lean towards horizontal for him.

Ivy has Uair and Usmash and Uthrow to KO vertically and Fair. Fsmash is my most common kill move with him and that is horizontal. So its tough to say. I guess I'd have to say vertical overall.

Charizard- Charizard can KO in both directions. Dtilt is horizontal as is Fair, Bair, and Fsmash and Dthrow. Uthrow, Usmash, and rocksmash KO vertically.

ZSS- Fair/bair/sideB/Fsmash KO horizontally. Uair is the only move which KOs vertically but its a very common kill move. I guess horizontal though.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Well, it seems people have covered the basics of Olimar's KO's, but I'll reiterate. Depending on the Pikmin the Olimar player is using will depend on what kind of KO he goes for. Blue Pikmin means he is going to go for a Bthrow of Fthrow KO.(Horizontally) Purple Pikmin mean he will have to get close to KO with it so he will probably use a Dsmash or Usmash. Any moderately powerful attack with a Purple equals death. So I'm gonna say. (Vertically and Horizontally) Red Pimin and Yellow Pikmin are his go-too Pimin so he will be racking up damage with them and going for Dair spikes. (Vertical KOs)

White Pikmin? :laugh:

:034:

Smash Hero
Ganondorf can kill you in any way he likes, including what direction.

Basically you can kill both vertically (dair, usmash) and horizontally (fsmash, ftilt, fair, uair) with relative ease.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
I feel that Luigi tends to kill well both ways, but with more emphasis on vertical kills (Fire Jump, upwards smash, drill "spike", and neutral aerial; compared to forward smash and maybe Green Missile).

Yoshi kills better vertically, though: upwards smash, upwards aerial, and his forwards aerial Meteor Smash kill up (or down), while he just has his forwards smash for side kills.

That's what I've noticed. I could be wrong. :)

Top Bottom