• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which stage is the most fair?:

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's Island,
1. It has a static platform that only changes slopes
2. Wall-cling characters can actually use their unique ability, to wall cling/jump, on that stage.
3. Also it has a slope in he center that can discourage spammy characters such as the Ice Climber's ice, easier ducking for laser-evasion from StarFox chars.
4. The sloped floor also enables for more emphasis on teching, a more advanced technique.

In my opinion, this is the fairest stage for experienced players in the sense that there are many fair ways to exploit the stage with the use of skill.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
The platform always moves horizontally in Smashville, not in certain situations.
yeah we all know that but that fact that it moves, in any given situation if a character is recovering it could just so happen to be near enough to them where it can allow them to recover, where as if it weren't randomly there (random because you can't control where it is going to be) the player wouldn't have been able to recover. especially characters with primarily vertical recoveries like marth (not including his air b charge which has to be prepped from long and high distances anyway. so that moving platform can add "luck" so to speak to any particular match.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yoshi's Island,
1. It has a static platform that only changes slopes
2. Wall-cling characters can actually use their unique ability, to wall cling/jump, on that stage.
3. Also it has a slope in he center that can discourage spammy characters such as the Ice Climber's ice, easier ducking for laser-evasion from StarFox chars.
4. The sloped floor also enables for more emphasis on teching, a more advanced technique.

In my opinion, this is the fairest stage for experienced players in the sense that there are many fair ways to exploit the stage with the use of skill.
1 Change in slopes screws characters over more than a moving platform like smashville's does IMO. Slopes screw up combos, trajectory of projectiles, throws, etc.

2 Wall clinging is pretty much the same as trying to stall. It's true it can't be done for very long, but still.

3 How does detracting from one's projectile game make a stage more fair? It wouldn't be fair at all since it gives advantage to the people without a projectile and a disadvantage to those with one.

Also, when I'm playing IC's I like the slopes for mindgames with my ice blocks since they come back at you. And falco/fox can just go to the very edge of the stage and be low enough to hit people crouching in the middle, except for maybe characters like snake that could crouch under the lasers on a normal stage anyways..

Another way the slopes can help projectiles is with snake's grenades. If you pick a grenade back up and then throw it down on a slope it will bounce at an angle instead of straight up and down. This allows snake to throw grenades into places and angles that he would never be able to normally, thus giving his projectiles more of an advantage. So your discouraging projectiles argument fails and in turn works exactly the opposite of what you said in some cases, and it wouldn't be a legit reason for calling a stage fair even if it did.

4 In what way does slopes put an emphasis on teching?? Teching is the exact same, with or with out a slope. There is no emphasis on teching due to the slope, what-so-ever.

Also, Yoshi's Island doesn't have a balloon >_>

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
1 Change in slopes screws characters over more than a moving platform like smashville's does IMO. Slopes screw up combos, trajectory of projectiles, throws, etc.

4 In what way does slopes put an emphasis on teching?? Teching is the exact same, with or with out a slope. There is no emphasis on teching due to the slope, what-so-ever.

Also, Yoshi's Island doesn't have a balloon >_>
okay.
1. Trips mess up my combos more than a change in slope.

2. If you are hit straight horizontal you are more likely to hit a stage at a 20 degree angle rather than a stage that is straight up flat. And when you hit it, you can tech.

3. And hitting that balloon you are so in love with slows down some attacks when you connect with it, such as if an attack were to hit a character. We see this in most attacks and see it most easily with lightning kicks, tippers, and Falcon electric knees.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
1. How often do you actually trip in an actual combo? Also, you trip regardless of stage so that should not be taken into effect when deciding fairness of a stage. But anyways, here's an example of a combo that you can not do on a slope, Olimar can dthrow to upsmash pretty much everyone at early percents, but when you run down a slope the upsmash has to go up further before it will hit them, which gives them more time before they get hit and now more characters can get out of it due to the slope. Chain grabs are another example of things that slopes screw up.

2. I'll give you that one. It's true, but how many attacks actually hit you at that angle to where 20 degrees would actually make a difference? Barely any, and that would actually put the characters at a very slight disadvantage since people can now tech those moves.

3. You're right again on this one, but it should be obvious that is a joke. It also stops projectiles like snake's up smash, but only on the rare occasions it gets in the way.

Also, you didn't address my other points about why it's not fair...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
even though that one tourney that ken lost had items, they thought smashville was the most fair stage and as such they made it the auto first match in every match

just throwing out something thts proly been said be4
lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I got confused there for a second lol. I thought you were talking about me. But then I realized you were talking about the ken. He doesn't play brawl does he?

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Smashville. It's not too big or too small, the ledges aren't as bad as FD, and it has a moving horizontal platform.

The platform gives more emphasis on aerial combat like the ones in BF do while the moving makes camping under it harder. That makes up for it helping recoveries.

metaike

Smash Cadet
Probably smashville or battlefield. Battlefield has ledges however so that plays in favor for characters that have above average aerial moves

TEECO

Smash Ace
Smashville. It's not too big or too small, the ledges aren't as bad as FD, and it has a moving horizontal platform.

The platform gives more emphasis on aerial combat like the ones in BF do while the moving makes camping under it harder. That makes up for it helping recoveries.
I agree (10CHRS)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I will tally all the definite votes.

Smashville - 31
Battlefield - 14
Final Destination - 3
Yoshi's Island - 2
Pokemon Stadium - 1
Delfino Plaza - 1
Halberd - 1
Hanenbow - 1
Wario Ware - 1

After ten pages, I think we can come to two facts.

1. Some people really know nothing about this game.

2. Smashville is considered the fairest, followed by Battlefield, following by a large margin then Final Destination, and then Yoshi's Island.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
FD is camping+floor CG heaven, and Battlefield is extremely favored towards Olimar and MK. Smashville is a nice correlation between size, with a platform for approach-challenged characters lacking projectiles like Gdorf or Bowser. All other stages are just a joke. =/

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
How can you even think Delfino is the most fair?? It shouldn't even be neutral.

Delfino has water that equals inescapable gimps if the other player doesn't mess up. It has parts with walls that lead to infinites, and parts with walk off ledges that people can be chain grabbed to death on. And then there is also a part without a grabbable ledge that completely screws over tether recoveries and reoveries with very little verticle rise.

There is no way this stage should be considered the most fair. It doesn't come close.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
final destination is unfair to those without projectiles.(such as Marth)
And levels with platforms are, in a sense, unfair to those with projectiles because it is harder to spam them effectively..

Any level will give certain characters advantages while putting others at disadvantages.

CQC_SNAKE

Smash Cadet
well the id say smashville because its flat and has 1 moving platform.but i think the better player will always win...No matter wut level

CQC_SNAKE

Smash Cadet

Delfino has water that equals inescapable gimps if the other player doesn't mess up. It has parts with walls that lead to infinites, and parts with walk off ledges that people can be chain grabbed to death on. And then there is also a part without a grabbable ledge that completely screws over tether recoveries and reoveries with very little verticle rise.

There is no way this stage should be considered the most fair. It doesn't come close.
dang...he just ***** your delfino theroy:laugh:

stiné

Smash Rookie
I main link and i know that Battlefield isnt fair for him. This is because the ledges make ariel combat necessary; however, links aerials attack in a very horzontal way in that there is only one point of verticle contact. On the other hand we have marth who's f-air demonstrates an attack that sweeps the verticle axis. So in short, though people may say that Battlefield is one of the fairer stages, its not true for the chracters such as sonic and link in terms of aerials.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I main link and i know that Battlefield isnt fair for him. This is because the ledges make ariel combat necessary; however, links aerials attack in a very horzontal way in that there is only one point of verticle contact. On the other hand we have marth who's f-air demonstrates an attack that sweeps the verticle axis. So in short, though people may say that Battlefield is one of the fairer stages, its not true for the chracters such as sonic and link in terms of aerials.
Answer with a quote >_>
Any level will give certain characters advantages while putting others at disadvantages.
There is no way to find the stage that is most fair in every circumstance.

Adler

Smash Apprentice

I disagree.
I think that people have been focusing on stages where nothing happens (like Final Destination/Battlefield/etc.)
On Delfino Plaza it constatly changes and if you are bad at one thing it switches to another soon.

DrizztWar

Smash Rookie
I would have do say that final D is fair if there's no projectiles, battlefield if there is because they can be easily avoided by use of the platforms. I also agree that delfino is a good stage because as mentioned above, the different parts of the stage give advantages to each char at least one in the round.

SilverLanayru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilverLanayru
3DS FC
1977-0801-2134
Switch FC
SW-1383-4892-7702
Stages that I think are the most fair: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Smashville, Delfino Plaza, and Luigi's Mansion.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I disagree.
I think that people have been focusing on stages where nothing happens (like Final Destination/Battlefield/etc.)
On Delfino Plaza it constatly changes and if you are bad at one thing it switches to another soon.
Just because a stage can be advantageous at one point and suck for them on another does not make it a fair stage. There are characters that are affected by the "bad" parts of the stage a lot more than others so they are at a disadvantage on this stage. And then you have characters like MK that aren't affected negatively by any of the parts and even helped by some. This doesn't make it fair for characters that are disadvantaged on certain parts because you can't assume the other character will be disadvantaged on another part.

Oh, and there's a reason people have been focusing on stages where "nothing happens."

Stages that I think are the most fair: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Smashville, Delfino Plaza, and Luigi's Mansion.
Luigi's Mansion?!? You obviously haven't fought a Meta Knight or an Olimar on this stage lol. They are broken on it. It is probably one of the most unfair legal stages IMO.

See my explanation a page or two back about why delfino isn't fair.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
when it comes to fair, why not pictochat?
it is fair, because everyone is pretty much going to have a hard time.

justaway12

Smash Master
the fairest of stages are the stages where nothing happens and you can get to your opponent easily and there are no effects e.g final destination, yoshi's island, smashville, shadow moses island.etc

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Quote from the same guy!:

hypocrite
I don't see anything hypocritical at all in those two quotes. Let's learn the definition of a word before we decide to call someone it, shall we? K thanks.

And you took my quote out of context. I was contradicting people's reasons for why they think different stages are fair/unfair. In the case of your second quote by me, you had said FD was unfair for characters without projectiles and all I said was that stages with platforms, like BF, could be considered a disadvantage to those with projectiles because it severely limits the effectiveness of spamming projectiles. I wasn't even disagreeing with you, cause I think that you're right.

All I was saying that there is no absolute fair stage and I was giving reasons as to why those stages weren't fair. You can give me any stage and I can give you an example of why it could give one character an advantage over another. What we are trying to find is the stage is the most fair.
when it comes to fair, why not pictochat?
it is fair, because everyone is pretty much going to have a hard time.
Cause pictochat is ********. Look at the first quote of mine that you quoted.

And your logic fails. With that logic I could argue that 75 M or rumble falls is a fair stage. I mean how is it not fair?!?! I mean, "pretty much everyone is going to have a hard time." /sarcasm
the fairest of stages are the stages where nothing happens and you can get to your opponent easily and there are no effects e.g final destination, yoshi's island, smashville, shadow moses island.etc
Shadow Moses is on the banned stage list for a reason LOL.

Edit: Quote for kicks and giggles. (See what I did here marthmaster? It's called an edit. It's used so you don't have to look like a forum n00b and double post ;))

I will tally all the definite votes.

Smashville - 31
Battlefield - 14
Final Destination - 3
Yoshi's Island - 2
Pokemon Stadium - 1
Delfino Plaza - 1
Halberd - 1
Hanenbow - 1
Wario Ware - 1

After ten pages, I think we can come to two facts.

1. Some people really know nothing about this game.

2. Smashville is considered the fairest, followed by Battlefield, following by a large margin then Final Destination, and then Yoshi's Island.
I love how most of these people that he's talking about have joined in the past couple of months LOL.

Top Bottom