• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree with everything you said but I do agree with Melee> Brawl sadly. I own Brawl and yes it's fun but I can't see myself playing it for 4 years competitively like i did Melee. I just can't. You can barely edge guard well in Brawl =\

And yes I can adjust and blah blah blah. But everything that made Melee a great competitively played game was taken away. Let's be real. They couldn't even leave in being able to edge guard well?

Brawl makes it so you're supposed to go out there off the stage and force someone off the screen, hence part of the reason why it's so floaty and easy to recover.

boybirder

Smash Rookie
Meele is an amazing game, but Brawl blows Meele away.

Meele is still one of my favorite games, but Brawl Pwns, Owns, and Brakes Bones.

Mr.Shmearo

Smash Rookie
Yeah I realized. Sigh*
Sall good, I'm still enjoying it though since it's fun, but if it doesn't form as big of a competitive scene like Melee did I won't be surprised.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
the floatyness and DI also lets your opponent save his jump or up b for when you come at him, killing any hope of edgeguarding.

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
Real competitive players aren't moving on because they're worried they'll lost their lifeblood in melee tournaments. They're moving on because they're actual professionals who know about things like evolution and adaptation. What I'm saying is, the professionals are out there learning the new game - they're not in here, whining incessantly.

If you worked at an office, and one day they decided to migrate from Windows PCs to Macs, and instead of learning the new PCs you went to your boss's office every day and went on rants and tirades about how YOU miss your PC and about how YOU'RE so sure they were better... This despite all of the research the company did and how the Mac will work out just as fine if not better in the long run - you'd be fired. Quickly.

Hay guys! Guess what? Brawl says you're fired.
what he said.

and if real competitive players are complaining, then they don't know what competition is

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
only scrubs who don't understand melee at all and those who joined in 07 and 08 could possibly think brawl is better than melee. ask any experienced, competitive melee veteran. all these ignorant newcomers make me sick to my stomach.

also, ignore my join date. over the past few years i've been banned four times due to my intolerance for nubs.

edit: brawl will never be considered a competitive game; it'll never be in mlg.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
only scrubs who don't understand melee at all and those who joined in 07 and 08 could possibly think brawl is better than melee. ask any experienced, competitive melee veteran. all these ignorant newcomers make me sick to my stomach.

also, ignore my join date. over the past few years i've been banned four times due to my intolerance for nubs.

edit: brawl will never be considered a competitive game; it'll never be in mlg.
But it made evo?

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
^ I never thought I'd say this, but please for the love of god, bring back the ruthlessness in your posts.
lol. it will be my pleasure, but only after i've had a few drinks; otherwise, i avoid smashboards all together.

TheTruth07

Smash Rookie
Melee gameplay is better than Brawl's overall, and I don't think there's any denying it. THAT SAID, I'm moving on to Brawl because Brawl is a new game and in my opinion, much more fun to play as of now because everyday I'm learning something new that make the game better. I'm giving Brawl the chance it deserves to become the game that melee was. After all that time with melee, the gameplay became a matter of rinse and repeat in terms of combos, while as of now, I feel that Brawl is much more visceral and instinctive because you cant dish out memorized combos in order to win. Brawl is a much more defense oriented game, and I just have to get used to it.

I really loved melee, but after all that time with it, I dont think it can give me a new experience. Brawl does. After a few months, will I still be playing Brawl like i was with melee? I dont know. But the least we can do is give it a chance not a month and a half after its (japanese) release.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
I simply find it funny that ,since the TC has a high post count, he assumes he can make another stupid thread like this and expect his oppinion to be valid.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
What Brawl does is eliminate some of the simple tactics to get a quick kill. Sure, there are definitely tactics to get quick kills, but now most of them you have to really work for them. I'm sure it'll be fine. I love Melee that is for sure, but I think Brawl is better because there is a little more straight-forward skill involved

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
As a veteran of Melee I'm going to go ahead and say I'm enjoying Brawl a tad bit more than Melee. I miss a lot of what Melee had, but there's still a ton of potential for this game. I wish you people would stop comparing a game we've been playing for seven years straight to a game we've played a couple days (or a month to those who got the Japanese version)

We've known how this game was going to play, we've watched the Youtube videos, we've been following it forever, we've known back since E for All wavedashing and all that was out. What were you people expecting? How were you not ready for how this game handeled? I haven't been waiting years to play the same game some more. Sakurai wasn't going to give us the exact same game either.

Stop complaining, you're in the Brawl boards, then talk about Brawl, but from a veteran player to other veteran players, please just shut the hell up. Once we know every little thing about Brawl, which won't be for a LONG time, then compare the two games. Until then, LEARN to play it. Or just put the game down and pop Melee back in, go to the Melee boards, and let the rest of us enjoy the game.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Im gonna be honest. I just started playing Melee again(like within the last hour) after playing 3 days straight of Brawl and it seriously is just more fun. Brawl is a shield fest and games just degrade down to, shield, grab, throw, run away, repeat. Its literally the best strategy and its just not fun. And its not like I'm stuck on the fact that Brawl isn't melee 2.0. I broke the wavedash/L-cancel habit in literally less than 3 matches and I've even played my main enough to know his best options at the best times but the problem is that those options are all really basic and usually degrade to shield camping.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
I'm a competive Brawl player, and was a serious competitive Melee player.

Melee was amazing, but then when I got a hold of a Japanese copy of Brawl at the end of January (30th/31st), my crew and I were playing nonstop.

It was a tough transition, but I think if you give Brawl some time, you'll come around to loving it.

I've attended 3 Brawl tournaments here in Southern California (yeah, Gimpyfish/Blitz/PsychoMidget/Aries/etc were all there at all 3) and placed around 7th place each time (around 30-50 players). So I hope that gives my opinions some credibility.

I look at Melee now and wonder to myself, "How the hell was I able to play that game competitively before?!?!?" It's SOOOO fast, not to mention the constant wavedashing and L-Cancelling. Yeah, I don't remember how I was able to keep up at the tourneys.

Brawl doesn't have all that, obviously, so I think that gives the game a more back-seat feel to it, where you can now concentrate on being cunning and quick with your strategies and use more wit as oppose to the larger focus on WDing, LCanceling, super fast gameplay. Not saying Melee didn't have that, but Brawl seems to be all about strategy as oppose to "who can WD and LC better to inflict the most damage, therefore KOing more?"

I think Brawl is a breath of fresh pine-smelling air (with a side of lemon zest?). The slower pace of the game is a nice opportunity to really hone your skills in knowing your character's moves inside and out, knowing when to use which move, which ones have near-zero lag upon landing from air, what instance it is safe to perform an aerial upon landing (learning the which frames of the aerials have no lag when landing), and so forth.

This game is amazing. Melee was an amazing stepping stone to Brawl. As of now, after experiencing Brawl for a month and 12 days, I don't see myself ever wanting to touch Melee again if only for the sense of nostalgia. Brawl feels far superior.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I like both games personally, they both have their highlights, and things that the other game doesn't. One thing I like about brawl is that I enjoy using more of the characters, in melee I could only ever get into a few of the characters.

this isn't a fact or absolute flaw of one game or the other, this is just one man's opinion, seriously, you guys need to chill, it really isn't the end of the world.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Okay. Seriously, Brawl can never measure up to the standards of Melee. I played it today, it is TERRIBLE.
No you're wrong, Brawl already DID measure up to the standards of melee and completely surpassed it. I see my copy of melee lying around and Im just like "....****, why did I ever even like this game?"

First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way?
Like theONEjanitor said, it's not like everyone just floats around aimlessly half the match. You have to fight in the air, and it makes for some very intense arial combat!

Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco. Falco sucks in this game.
Falco doesn't suck in this game, you suck in this game. At least as Falco, just main a different character or practice as Falco and you'll get better.

This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter.
This sounds like something a beginner would say, no offense, really lol. But seriously, you can pull off great combos just like in melee, except you have to practice with the game

Now I know this isn't Melee, but still. Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. It's just that the quickness of Melee was one of the things that made it so good.
If you really feel this way, and you won't change your mind, then just go back to melee, you won't be missed in the brawl community.

Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do. Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow.
....wow....really...? I mean....really...? I just can't respong to this....

Overall, Melee<<<<<<<<<<<<<Brawl.
Hopefully you'll come to realize THIS is how it is

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I'm a competive Brawl player, and was a serious competitive Melee player.

Melee was amazing, but then when I got a hold of a Japanese copy of Brawl at the end of January (30th/31st), my crew and I were playing nonstop.

It was a tough transition, but I think if you give Brawl some time, you'll come around to loving it.

I've attended 3 Brawl tournaments here in Southern California (yeah, Gimpyfish/Blitz/PsychoMidget/Aries/etc were all there at all 3) and placed around 7th place each time (around 30-50 players). So I hope that gives my opinions some credibility.

I look at Melee now and wonder to myself, "How the hell was I able to play that game competitively before?!?!?" It's SOOOO fast, not to mention the constant wavedashing and L-Cancelling. Yeah, I don't remember how I was able to keep up at the tourneys.

Brawl doesn't have all that, obviously, so I think that gives the game a more back-seat feel to it, where you can now concentrate on being cunning and quick with your strategies and use more wit as oppose to the larger focus on WDing, LCanceling, super fast gameplay. Not saying Melee didn't have that, but Brawl seems to be all about strategy as oppose to "who can WD and LC better to inflict the most damage, therefore KOing more?"

I think Brawl is a breath of fresh pine-smelling air (with a side of lemon zest?). The slower pace of the game is a nice opportunity to really hone your skills in knowing your character's moves inside and out, knowing when to use which move, which ones have near-zero lag upon landing from air, what instance it is safe to perform an aerial upon landing (learning the which frames of the aerials have no lag when landing), and so forth.

This game is amazing. Melee was an amazing stepping stone to Brawl. As of now, after experiencing Brawl for a month and 12 days, I don't see myself ever wanting to touch Melee again if only for the sense of nostalgia. Brawl feels far superior.
Wow, very nice post. U are right in all your points.

IMO, Brawl is not as focused as melee in technical abilities, but in tactics and planning. Battles tend to be a litle more campy but with a very high level of tension. Some fights put you to think a lot what you next move will be. Its like having 2 games which offer different ways of playing something.

6footninja

Smash Ace
No matter which game you think is better, you look like just another parading douche. Thus,

everyone = fail.

Now everybody go back to playing which game they think is better. Leave each other alone, the arguing and flaming is getting ridiculous.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
lol.
Brawl's never gonna make it up to Melee standards because they're two entirely different games.
Not melee 2, sorry.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
then stop posting and ignore it. It seems like its cause you emotional distress. He was just asking for a simple opinion from the members here. We are free to post what we want. But if you like to waste your time repeating yourself by all means go ahead. THIS IS TO KAMYU ON PAGE 1.

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
I like Brawl much more than Melee. Competeive players need to get over "teh floatiness!" and "no teh wavedshin plox!". Brawl is much more fun then Melee, and since I never was a competeive player, Brawl >>>>>>Melee.
you are a moron. the floatiness is *** and im not one of those competitive ***gats. i love brawl, dont get me wrong... but the way melee played out was better than brawl, by far. that doesnt mean that my oppinion wont change. but dont generalize it down to competitive *******s vs. ******* like yourself.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to put my two cents in.

They were both great games. 6ninja was right we just need to stop arguing and go back to the games we like to play. I personally like both. I loved Roy and was sad they exed him because Ike is a horrible replacement. Ike is slow, but i have found ways to get around that. His recovery is awful due to the very minimal amount of space you can move over. I think they should have just kept Roy but given him Ike's moves. Or maybe they should have put in Sothe since he is from the Wii american FE. Honestly not many of the new characters are that good. Snake is awful(with learning he can be decent). Fox is lame. Cpt Olimar is horrible. Sonic(dont cry now) yea he sucks THERE I SAID IT!. Cartoon link is good but a clone of link none the less savor a few minor differences. Metalknight and Pit are good. Wario ill just say it
DUMB! Marth ill agree with whoever said it. He does seem slow as does falco. But falco has been improved. He has a rapid attack like foxes kick his gun hasnt changed at all. But i do i agree i dont like the reflector much. Ganondorf is once again a clone of falcon. Lucas is a cone of Ness. Lucario is decent. Jigglypuff is dumb as ever and they got rid of the ninja outfit. Pokemon Trainer is okay. Zero Suit samus is okay. Pit and Meta are the only real ones that shine and thats only because they have wings and are totally different and new. now about the games themselves.

Melee was good. But honestly wavedashing and L canceling just made it irritating. Whoever could do those better would win and it killed the game for me. Im an average player. I played in tournies id win once in awhile but Melee was too focused on you could do those things best. The floatiness in Brawl is there for a reason. In Melee it was too constant that characters wouldnt make it back to the stage from being knocked off. Now in brawl every character can make it back. Brawl is no more tricks. Brawl is whoever has come up with better combos and has better strategy will win. No more edge guarding or bs like wavedashing. Its pure just flat out skill. Brawl has good points and Melee did. Its all Opinion. I apologize for the length of this post. Brawl is better. Everything is multi player the stages are cool, and the adventure mode actually has a story somewhat. The characters ill admit arent that great. But it is definately a better more solid game. That is my .02. Hope this helps

zomg

Smash Rookie
Eh, Melee was too fast. Smash as a concept is hectic enough, with 4 players jumping around the screen, items being thrown all over and the interactions with the unique stages. I'm glad they slowed the overall pace down, plus aerial combat is just plain fun.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl is better. I can't tell the difference between it and Melee honestly :/. I'm sure TC is just mad at the lack of "advanced techniques" (glitches). If you sir think Brawl doesn't have combos, come and play with my inner circle of Smash players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom