• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReFiller

Smash Rookie
wtf are you talking about, nub? i say nub because that's what you all are.
wow arent you kool lol ya everyone here are nubs lol

Oh, excuse me, I was just trying to talk like you for a little bit there. Your grammar reeks of immaturity and a certain elementary school bully I once had in 3rd grade.

Now, back on topic.

I do not own Brawl yet, but it's coming in the mail tomorrow. I played at my friend's house for 3 hours, and I admit myself, it did shock me a little bit at first on the whole change of physics, lack of wavedashing, L-canceling, etc. What I realized, after a little bit, was how minor a change it really was. As a previous user has commented, it leaves you with a more straight forward idea and concept to K.O. your enemy. Also, after an hour or hour and a half, I got used to it.

Anyway, I think Brawl is an improvement over Melee. Sure, I'll miss some things from Melee, like how slightly faster/heavier it was, wavedashing, etc, but Brawl really isn't that bad.

Fletch

Smash Master
you'll notice that the pros who have commented on Brawl all seem to agree that it's a very fun game that they're going to continue playing competitively. Competitive players who can't handle the change to Brawl simply come off as whiners in comparison. If you don't like it, don't play it. And more importantly stop spamming the Brawl boards. There are plenty of melee boards to talk about why you like melee better than brawl.
Don't mean to side with everyone that says Brawl is a much worse game than Melee, but most pros seem to be siding with the OP... Just wondering why you think differently.

.... All I hear about this game is "WAH WAH WAH NO WAVEDASHING WAH WAH WAH TOO SLOW(Related to wavedashing, as it is the same speed) WAH WAH TOO FLOATY(Okay just what the hell on this one? It's called AIR BATTLES nubs. Have ANY of you even TRIED to air battle)" Look, go back to the Melee forums and complain there, you won't make anyone change their minds. On the Melee forums people will probably agree with you.

Now that the rant/flame/I owned you thing is gone, let's start provin ya wrong.

"First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way?" <What does that have to do with anything? It won't help, nor damage the gameplay. I declare that whining.

"Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco." Whining. Moving on.

"Falco sucks in this game." Whining but you bring up a good point. At least he isn't a clone. Be happy about it. Now.

"This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter." This part shows your ignorance. ADAPT. I've had the game for 3 days and I already have a good combo.

Link- PERFECT for when the enemy is 30%+
Roll
Down(or up for lower percentages) Throw
C-Stick Up Smash
Jump and Up Attack
Fast Fall and as enemy is falling down (Skill needed here) jump Up-B
Fast Fall
If the enemy makes it to the EDGE, try and and grab him, then throw him up or to the opposite direction, either work
If enemy lands on platform, doesn't matter how, just Fsmash.
Enemy should be dead, and unless you suck, he/she/it/Yoshi would've had almost no chance to attack you unless it was Mr. G&W with his insane hax.

^^^^ Long isn't it? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ Five or more depending on alterations like chain throwing to rack up damage. Tested it on a Lv9 comp, works every time. (Lv9s are like your above average smasher)

"Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. " Doubt it. Once you adapt, Melee will seem like a downgrade. Because then you will get it through your thick head that you need SKILL to win at Brawl and that it's just as fast, except Melee which had the advanced tech. EVERY SINGLE comp. player depended on.

"Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do" .... That sentence has so much failure there is no need to even prove it wrong.

"Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow." And? That would just make everyone pick the same 4 chars if there was falling speeds. "soooo slow" It's just as fast nublet, just without the advanced techs to make everything faster. Oh, I've just noticed dashing speed is slower. Is that what you mean? Because if you do, then you fail. Because fighting games are about FIGHTING not running away or using the "WAVDAZHIN PLOX".

"Overall, Brawl>>Melee" See I fixed it for you =D
You have got to be kidding me with that "combo". Try playing someone that has half an idea how to play this game. I almost laughed out loud when you said it worked on a lvl. 9 computer... I hope that was a joke, but if it wasn't, computers are absolutely horrendous in this game (same as in Melee of course), and you can pull all sorts of crap on them that do not work on people that can actually think.

Every other point you refuted was pretty much wrong except for the balance thing. The second part I bolded bothered me the most; you say fighting games are about "FIGHTING", and then you somehow say that Brawl is superior in this matter? Brawl rewards camping right now like crazy, it is the completely dominant strategy due to the new game engine for lots of different reasons (loss of l-cancel namely). If you want to pull that argument, you would have to claim that Melee is clearly the superior game. Don't post on things you don't really know about.

Death

Smash Lord
Shackel11, please don't ever post anything like that again. Not only did you contradict yourself, you ended up looking like a fool. That combo won't work on any half-way decent HUMAN player that is competent enough to move away from you.

And the floatiness will damge the game a lot. How won't it is what you should be asking? What's the point of having every fall at the same speed?

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
earth to all making melee>brawl threads. WHO CARES.... Brawl IS NOT Melee 2.0.... If it was it would suck. I wanted a refined perfected smash bros experience and that is exactly what I got. You cannot declare that the game is competitivley broken, so what if there is tripping, or its more floatly... The better player will be able to adapt and cope with those conditions. If you don't like this... well thats why we have lightning brawl, and we can turn off items. Perhaps you are still unhappy? well there are more competitive games out there get in to counter strike, these days people play that for money. And there is no tripping in that game.

Death

Smash Lord
Well okay I WAS exaggerating but you catch my drift. There is no SIGNIGICANT difference in falling speeds like Falco v.s Jigglypuff in Melee.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
I do not own Brawl yet, but it's coming in the mail tomorrow. I played at my friend's house for 3 hours, and I admit myself, it did shock me a little bit at first on the whole change of physics, lack of wavedashing, L-canceling, etc. What I realized, after a little bit, was how minor a change it really was. As a previous user has commented, it leaves you with a more straight forward idea and concept to K.O. your enemy. Also, after an hour or hour and a half, I got used to it.

Anyway, I think Brawl is an improvement over Melee. Sure, I'll miss some things from Melee, like how slightly faster/heavier it was, wavedashing, etc, but Brawl really isn't that bad.
lol "slightly faster"? you must not have been very good at melee

and a "more straightforward idea and concept to KO"? yeah, let's just give all characters one move. if we do that, the concept of KOing will be even more straightforward. you know, since the complexity of the game changes its goal

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
This game is great. All the negative things I heard about Brawl either don't exist or are actually something positive. You can still combo. You can still edgeguard. You can still move quickly. There are advanced techs. It is very competitive. It is LOTS OF FUN. Online doesn't suck (much >_>).

I love the character balance in this game. Everything's so good, the only thing I can even try to complain about is tripping. But it really doesn't bother me.

AzN_BBoy_Wu96302

Smash Rookie
in this game, any noob can play it and possibly win. in melee wavedashing and etc adds so much that it separates the good and the bad so that its at least skillfull. in brawl any noob can win

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
Brawl is a completely new game from Melee. All of those years of juggling people with Fox are over. Brawl is almost completely balanced and it is altogether a solid game. I found myself wishing it was more like Melee when Brawl first came out on Sunday, but now that I have unlocked every character, played online, and played countless hours with friends, I wouldn't go back to Melee if you payed me.

My only complaint is how cheap Ike is. He sucks online because of the button delay, but I was playing my friend for an entire day and we switched off with Ike. Ike won about 70% of the games. The next week of Brawl will be dedicated to finding a good counter character.

If someone sucks at this game it really shows. Sure you can spam counter or jab, but you can't win that way. If anything, this game takes MORE skill than Melee.

Play it a lot more guys, and you'll see how good of a game it is.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Brawl is a completely new game from Melee. All of those years of juggling people with Fox are over. Brawl is almost completely balanced and it is altogether a solid game. I found myself wishing it was more like Melee when Brawl first came out on Sunday, but now that I have unlocked every character, played online, and played countless hours with friends, I wouldn't go back to Melee if you payed me.

My only complaint is how cheap Ike is. He sucks online because of the button delay, but I was playing my friend for an entire day and we switched off with Ike. Ike won about 70% of the games. The next week of Brawl will be dedicated to finding a good counter character.

If someone sucks at this game it really shows. Sure you can spam counter or jab, but you can't win that way. If anything, this game takes MORE skill than Melee.

THIS POST IS SOOO AWFUL WOW.

Ok, first of all if you think fox can't juggle, I can't wait til people play my fox. Second, brawl is NOT balanced, and it will never be. The tiers will be as distinct as melee.

Next IKE ISN'T CHEAP. You just aren't good. Learn to shielddrop and **** any of his attacks, he's laggy. Ike is good, not cheap. Ike is also better online than off, you really dont know what you're talking about AT ALL.

Seriously, wow. LOL typical brawl-supporting newbie

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
This game is great. All the negative things I heard about Brawl either don't exist or are actually something positive. You can still combo. You can still edgeguard. You can still move quickly. There are advanced techs. It is very competitive. It is LOTS OF FUN. Online doesn't suck (much >_>).

I love the character balance in this game. Everything's so good, the only thing I can even try to complain about is tripping. But it really doesn't bother me.

Online right now is horrendously terrible with lag -.-, everything else I more or less agree with.

Brawl just wont be the same competitive that melee was (If you understand that).

What can we say, Brawl is Brawl, the physics are different. At the moment there are no real universal advanced tech's. I do hear a lot of crying about "Play the game how it was supposed to be played." Look...if you are saying that shut your ****ing *** up, the game is supposed to be played by players who want to play the game they want to play it, its about having fun. Using an advanced tech does not mean your not playing the game the way its supposed to be played. If the game has it in there, its not completely broken...what the **** is the problem?

I don't agree or disagree that melee is better or not, its a different game. You like it - Or you don't, there does not seem to be an in between for comp players, to each his own is all you can say. I approve of the game and it seems to be pretty competitive where I stand from. The game gave me a very bad taste in my mouth for the first few hours but that went away pretty quickly.

Play the game or don't, however no matter what you do...You have to admit its not a terrible game, its not E.T or anything.

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
THIS POST IS SOOO AWFUL WOW.

Ok, first of all if you think fox can't juggle, I can't wait til people play my fox. Second, brawl is NOT balanced, and it will never be. The tiers will be as distinct as melee.

Next IKE ISN'T CHEAP. You just aren't good. Learn to shielddrop and **** any of his attacks, he's laggy. Ike is good, not cheap. Ike is also better online than off, you really dont know what you're talking about AT ALL.

Seriously, wow. LOL typical brawl-supporting newbie
You are the one who doesn't know anything about Brawl. I have about 60 hours in the game so far and I have explored every aspect of it. Fox was nerfed and couldn't juggle a beanbag (read the developers comments on this issue). The reason why Ike seems cheap is because he takes about 10 minutes to master (for me and my friend anyway).

Online is a joke anyway because of the 0.5 sec button press delay. I suggest you go get your facts straight.

Even Bowser is good now...

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
You are the one who doesn't know anything about Brawl. I have about 60 hours in the game so far and I have explored every aspect of it. Fox was nerfed and couldn't juggle a beanbag (read the developers comments on this issue). The reason why Ike seems cheap is because he takes about 10 minutes to master (for me and my friend anyway).

Online is a joke anyway because of the 0.5 sec button press delay. I suggest you go get your facts straight.

I get my facts straight? Excuse me? I've played the game since the Japanese release and I was a pro at melee. I know way more about smash and competitive gaming than you could ever imagine. If you don't think fox can combo well you're showing your foolishness.

If you think Ike takes 10 minutes to master you again are proving your shallow insight to the game and lack of knowledge of competitive play.

Online play is indeed a joke, and I don't use it. I play IRL with my friends who are also experienced competitive gamers who've been playing since the Japanese release. Everyone who is stupid thinks Fox sucks, and you'll all see you are wrong soon enough. Everytime I play someone new like you they give me such a look when I say I main Fox then they get ***** and go "I didn't know Fox could do that!!" I would be willing to moneymatch you for as much money as you have. You are obviously inexperienced and delirious to the game, sorry.

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
I get my facts straight? Excuse me? I've played the game since the Japanese release and I was a pro at melee. I know way more about smash and competitive gaming than you could ever imagine. If you don't think fox can combo well you're showing your foolishness.
How could you POSSIBLY be a pro...dude your from Mount Airy!!!

Anyhow, hes right....60 hours or not, you could have just been playing idiots in basic brawl or playing computers. That does not give you the ability to play better against a real live human who thinks. You can do the same move against a computer but it wont work against a human, and if it does, he atleast knows its coming and is searching for a way around it.

D20

Smash Lord
Pikachu can CG Fox... and cancel the animation on his quick attack... and be super cute with his down taunt.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Then play melee.
QFT

EVERYONE who thinks melee>brawl.........ALREADY!!!......5 Days after release...... GTFOff offline please your slowing the site up.

L2Adapt, Adjust, and Create or just fall back on your whiney bish ***** and play melee......forever. SB is loaded with guest and newly signed up mofos, some good and wanting to brawl, others wanting to create threads that complain about brawl because they cant do this combo they used to do.......you guessed it, (in MELEE).

2-7 years from now I don't want to see your ***** combo videos of the same **** the combo video that came out 7 months before you has(read that twice if you don't understand) stop being a follower and find something new or make your own style.

If you know your not going to change your view of brawl and continue comparing it to 7 year old melee stop posting......seriously.

Seriously.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It's possible to think melee is better than brawl and still be a top competitor in brawl.

M.K

Level 55
Melee= SEVEN YEARS
Brawl= Not Even 2 Months.

God, Brawl will be as good as Melee. Nobody, pro or not, has exploited this game to it's fullest potential yet. It's still too early to tell anything about the game except character personal impressions. We can't predict a tier list, we can't predict stage bans, we can only try our best.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
meta: way to think about the context of the situation
1. we've been tearing brawl apart to find ANY exploit. we did not do the same to melee
2. no new advanced tech will get rid of the horribly slow floatyness of the characters nor the drastically reduced hitstun. combos will always be very very difficult

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Melee= SEVEN YEARS
Brawl= Not Even 2 Months.

God, Brawl will be as good as Melee. Nobody, pro or not, has exploited this game to it's fullest potential yet. It's still too early to tell anything about the game except character personal impressions. We can't predict a tier list, we can't predict stage bans, we can only try our best.
So if your entire argument is that it's too early to predict or tell anything, why did you begin your statement with "God, Brawl will be as good as Melee." Isn't that just as ignorant as those people saying "There's no way Brawl will be as good as Melee?"

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Okay. Seriously, Brawl can never measure up to the standards of Melee. I played it today, it is TERRIBLE.

First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way? Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco. Falco sucks in this game.
This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter.

Now I know this isn't Melee, but still. Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. It's just that the quickness of Melee was one of the things that made it so good. Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do. Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow.

Overall, Melee>Brawl.
Terrible? 99% of game reviewers disagree.

Floatiness is bad? I thought Sakurai addressed this nearly two years ago when he said he was going to make the gameplay slower and more aerial. Surprised much? You shouldn't be.

Newton's Second Law of Gravity says "Hi."

Falco doesn't suck. Him, and Fox have simply been made slower, to compliment the fact that Sonic is the fastest, and to compliment Brawl's new mechanics. It's more evened-out, rather than Falco and Fox being ridiculously fast.

Combos are possible, duh. Fighting games don't exist without combos. Combo = combination of attacks strung together. If you don't believe combos exist, try some aerial attacks with Lucas or Sonic or Diddy Kong. Combos exist ALOT in this installment, they simply aren't strung together with multiple exploits and 200mph attacks.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Terrible? 99% of game reviewers disagree.

Floatiness is bad? I thought Sakurai addressed this nearly two years ago when he said he was going to make the gameplay slower and more aerial. Surprised much? You shouldn't be.

Newton's Second Law of Gravity says "Hi."

Falco doesn't suck. Him, and Fox have simply been made slower, to compliment the fact that Sonic is the fastest, and to compliment Brawl's new mechanics. It's more evened-out, rather than Falco and Fox being ridiculously fast.

Combos are possible, duh. Fighting games don't exist without combos. Combo = combination of attacks strung together. If you don't believe combos exist, try some aerial attacks with Lucas or Sonic or Diddy Kong. Combos exist ALOT in this installment, they simply aren't strung together with multiple exploits and 200mph attacks.
you don't seem to realize that all complaints toward brawl are opinions from a competitive gamer's standpoint

except for tripping. now that was just stupid

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Let's say one day Brawl will either be just as good or better than Melee. No one can tell. Otherwise Brawl fanboys are just "scrubs" and Melee fanboys are bunch of "Elitists". For now one one can argue either side until least a year or two.
Uh it's called opinion. "Best" is an opinion. That's all people are discussing. It will never be argued to an absolute truth, because it's not possible. So saying in a year or two it's arguable isn't true, because it can't be. Everyone will have their opinions about Brawl, whether it's good or bad, and it might change one or two years from now, but that doesn't mean one side or the other is correct. It's a love it or hate it thing in some cases.

ANoobsOpinion

Smash Rookie
To all the people who hate Brawl and rather play Melee, why don't you just give your brawl away to someone who appreciates and fully enjoys the game. Like me!!

So that way, you can stick with your Melee, and you benefit from getting rid of a game you don't like. And someone will benefit by adding brawl to there collection. So everyone is happy.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Uh it's called opinion. "Best" is an opinion. That's all people are discussing. It will never be argued to an absolute truth, because it's not possible. So saying in a year or two it's arguable isn't true, because it can't be. Everyone will have their opinions about Brawl, whether it's good or bad, and it might change one or two years from now, but that doesn't mean one side or the other is correct. It's a love it or hate it thing in some cases.
No it's called. "You can't handle change, so shut up or don't play". Seriously people who say Brawl sucks haven't gotten used to the flow of the game yet. People who say Brawl is awesome haven't either A. Played Melee to the fullest B. Just say it because it's a new game or C. Haven't played the whole entire game. I know it's an opinion but in order to have an opinion you have to have facts otherwise it's hasty generalization without knowing nothing of the subject given.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I just hope every brawl newbie who was a nobody at melee and thinks theyre going to bust into brawl and make an impression on the scene actually enters tournaments to further boost prize money for the players who actually have a chance to win :D

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
except for tripping. now that was just stupid
I agree. That was unnecessary.

No it's called. "You can't handle change, so shut up or don't play". Seriously people who say Brawl sucks haven't gotten used to the flow of the game yet. People who say Brawl is awesome haven't either A. Played Melee to the fullest B. Just say it because it's a new game or C. Haven't played the whole entire game. I know it's an opinion but in order to have an opinion you have to have facts otherwise it's hasty generalization without knowing nothing of the subject given.
Yeah but arguing whether Brawl is the best/worst is an opinion, not a fact. The lack of advanced techniques could be AWESOME in one's opinon, and **** in another's.

I still believe it has a lot of competitive potential, just on a fair and easy to learn, hard to master level. I've been playing and I see a lot of depth and fun in the game.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Brawl is fun. I have a lot of fun with it. The problem I think is the Speed and the flow it's at. It's really touching way back to the Mid 90s when SF II was introduced. It's really at that speed. The thing is right now I think people need to find how to make the game faster. Right now the Metagame is young, Snake has his sliding, Squirtle does too.

The game is young I know.

Fletch

Smash Master

This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I've read. Ike is cheap? Come on... and arguing with Plairnkk? He would destroy you at Brawl, you clearly know absolutely nothing about Smash.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
LOL i would just read the titles below our names, that totally says it all!! ;-)

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Brawl is fun. I have a lot of fun with it. The problem I think is the Speed and the flow it's at. It's really touching way back to the Mid 90s when SF II was introduced. It's really at that speed. The thing is right now I think people need to find how to make the game faster. Right now the Metagame is young, Snake has his sliding, Squirtle does too.

The game is young I know.
I don't believe the game is unnecessarily slow. I just think Melee players are spoiled by how fast and "drop-like-a-brick"ish the Melee gameplay was. I like the floaty, airy-feeling of Brawl, it allows more aerial possibilities and combos, like Sakurai promised. SSB64 was even slower, and it was the one that started it all :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom