• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamOtter

Smash Cadet
Um, guys? Decency, please?

'm gonna say this right from the start: I'm new here. I learned how to play advanced Melee, but I never played in tournaments. Compared to some of you guys, I'm probably no better than a computer. I mained Fox, and secondary'd Marth, but learned how to play them before 'd ever heard of a tier list. I can wavedash, I can edgeguard with some competency, and with a few characters, I can shuffle.

I think Brawl is better than Melee. There. I said it.
I think Melee is better than Brawl. There. I said it.

They both have their perks and flaws. 've noticed that games like Halo 2 still have a competitive community even with the release of Halo 3. Quake 3/Quake 4. Omaha Hold 'Em/Texas Hold 'Em. Is Smash so different? Why CAN'T it have two separate competitions? Quote pro players all you want. They're people too, does their opinion matter that much more than the next person's?

Yes, a game of Brawl plays out at a slower pace. The Brawl engine requires it.
Yes, Melee has (for the moment) more technical aspects. The Melee engine requires it.

It's like comparing the Quake engine to the Unreal engine. They're both good, they just do different things. Please understand that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Socii sunt mihi
qui olim viri fortes
rivalesque erant
Saeve certando pugnandoque
sprendor crescit.

These are the last few lines to the opening track. I think they sum up what the community SHOULD be quite nicely.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
lol "slightly faster"? you must not have been very good at melee
More like someone who has played Melee and Smash Bros 64. Smash Bros 64 is much slower than Melee. Compared to Smash 64, Brawl is only slightly slower than Melee.

Ah screw it. I'm fed up with threads like this. Everyone to their own.

BTW, I'm off to make a "Who agrees that 64>Melee? (more inside)" thread.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
Um, guys? Decency, please?

'm gonna say this right from the start: I'm new here. I learned how to play advanced Melee, but I never played in tournaments. Compared to some of you guys, I'm probably no better than a computer. I mained Fox, and secondary'd Marth, but learned how to play them before 'd ever heard of a tier list. I can wavedash, I can edgeguard with some competency, and with a few characters, I can shuffle.

I think Brawl is better than Melee. There. I said it.
I think Melee is better than Brawl. There. I said it.

They both have their perks and flaws. 've noticed that games like Halo 2 still have a competitive community even with the release of Halo 3. Quake 3/Quake 4. Omaha Hold 'Em/Texas Hold 'Em. Is Smash so different? Why CAN'T it have two separate competitions? Quote pro players all you want. They're people too, does their opinion matter that much more than the next person's?

Yes, a game of Brawl plays out at a slower pace. The Brawl engine requires it.
Yes, Melee has (for the moment) more technical aspects. The Melee engine requires it.

It's like comparing the Quake engine to the Unreal engine. They're both good, they just do different things. Please understand that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Socii sunt mihi
qui olim viri fortes
rivalesque erant
Saeve certando pugnandoque
sprendor crescit.

These are the last few lines to the opening track. I think they sum up what the community SHOULD be quite nicely.
QFT.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i already made an entire thread based on logic, anyone seeking logic should just go there

but wheres my prize??

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow.
QUOTE]

You are wrong there. From what I've played, there are still different fall speeds. Fox still falls faster than alot of chars, and so dose capt. falcon. Ike and bowser have different fall speeds than others, as well. AND YES I OWN THE GAME AND HAVE PLAYED IT..........ALOT.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Gotta say brawl is way better than melee...

if people complain about techniques, cmon, it took us years to find those techniques in melee...

Brawl is more balanced, seriously many say Ike is top tier material and such, so is wolf, and ive beaten so many of them with ganondorf, who some consider him one of the worst of the characters this game IMO is way better, with online and everything...

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I happen to feel Brawl is better than Melee, but maintain the fact that they are really two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES, so judgment is rather hard.

However, I like Brawl better and I think given some time, most people will feel the same way. It's just going to take some getting used to. But you WILL have to play it for more than TWO WEEKS to find out.

foxmccloud233

Smash Cadet
i dont think melee is alot btr from brawl its just takes a couple of hours or days getting used to. Yes i noticed the changes from not being able to wavedash and the characthers to be a little slower and for all you guys that are just super hardcored competitive smashers you guys just have to get used to it and if posting threads like this complaining on how not competitive the game is your takin the game way to SERIOUSLY. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, i mean i agree that it is a little slower and things like that but look at it as a challenge for all of us to get better at the game and make it competitive again.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
If you want to do crazy combos, have full control of your characters in your fingertips, a lot of technical aspects, breathtaking fights, never ending fun , a roster consisting of just 6 winner characters,and seriously compete, then melee is the way.

If you want to have fun with your pals, a slowpaced/more user friendly gameplay focused more on defensive and baiting maneuvers (coupled also with some combos), play online, enjoy a very nice single player mode, play as sonic and snake, enjoy a diversity of good characters who can win, a big bunch of very nice music tracks to hear, and to compete seriously, then Brawl isthe way.

Both games offer different options. IM hoping for brawl to at least prompt people to play in the same way melee did. The difference is that Melee´s engine and game play was hardcore and abusable,, but it helped in the end to create a very fun and addictive game. Brawl, even when is fun as hell, is more limiting than melee in terms of control and freedom to use your caracters.

IMO this is the reason that can hurt brawl in the long term... but well lets see.

My personal opinion is that brawl maybe will not be as exiciting as melee and will not last that long, not as much as it antecesor.

Im playing brawl hardcore right now, and im hoping this game will developt into something really good...

Teevo

Smash Rookie
The thing that bothers me about these kind of discussions is some "Amazing Super Special Awesome Pro" is complaining about how brawl is so limiting and such, and often time they'll admit despite that, it's still fun, but the gap between "Pro" and "Noob" is smaller or something of the sort.

Then someone brings up points about things you CAN do, how they just need to try them. Then the original person bashes them saying that they're ignorant n00bs and that they could crush them in a match.

So my question is... what's the problem? If it's still fun... and you can still beat people... Then uh... wha?

Keep in mind I'm not saying it's all like this, I know there are people who genuinely just don't find the game as fun, and such, it just seems like this is the usual formula for these debates. I personally love Brawl, and don't quite understand how people can say it's more shallow than Melee... Then again I'm apparently a "Noob" who doesn't wavedash. So my opinion will probably be looked down upon.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
After having the game for nearly a week, I still don't see where all the complaining is coming from. I mean, I can see how you might prefer Melee's faster pace. Prior to Brawl, I knew of many people who played SSB over Melee because they didn't like the pacing. But thats about the only valid complaint I know of, and its more or a preferance than complaint.

I think the real revelation came when I was playing "With Anyone" online a couple days ago. Now, I can't be sure who I was playing with, but I had about 4 matches against a Falco and Marth and I'm sure the Marth was from these boards because he did that "double crouch" thing you guys agreed on. I won 3 of the 4 games using only Squirtle (didnt even need to switch out) and after nailing a Final Smash across Marth in the 4th game, someone ended the match about 0:45 in. Thats when it hit me.

People aren't complaining about valid points in the game. People are pulling complaints out of their @$$es because they are getting the s|-|it kicked out of them. Instead of learning and adjusting to the new game, they complain they their precious "techs" are unaccounted for, their favorite characters have been balanced in with the rest, and that the game is generally not Melee 2.0.

People complain because they just can't win. Suddenly, the "pros" of Melee are now the "scrubs," and it eats them up. So instead of getting legitimately better at the game, they come here and complain.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
None of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Will ever matter from a competitive standpoint. Hell, as it is, half of that stuff wont even matter from a casual standpoint as most people will have finished all of the single player things within a few days.
Then go play your Melee! We will play with the fixed game. Leave the Brawl section and go fangasm in Melee, for goodness sake.

Only if you go back to having anonymous gay sex in the back ally behind Walmart for money(If your going to make baseless statements about how other peoples lives work, Im gonna do the same)
That would make perfect, humorous sense if I was gay, or didn't have morals.
But I'm not, and I do. It's not teh funny.

Also, if you don't like all the competitive talk, get the **** off of the COMPETITIVE SMASH FORUMS. Im sure gameFAQS would love to have someone like you as a user.
I'm pretty sure this isn't "Competitive Smash A-hole's Area". It's General Brawl Discussion. If you want to get technical, go to the technical section. If you want to praise Melee, go to Melee. But stay out of here. This is for generally talking about the NEW Smash game.

Honestly, to you Melee players who are btching,
YOU WERE PWN'D. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SAKURAI EXPLAINED IT IN HIS SUMMER INTERVIEW. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN VIDEOS AT E-FOR-ALL WERE SHOWN. A LITTLE TOO LATE TO GLITCH-**** NOW, ISN'T IT?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Then go play your Melee! We will play with the fixed game. Leave the Brawl section and go fangasm in Melee, for goodness sake.

That would make perfect, humorous sense if I was gay, or didn't have morals.
But I'm not, and I do. It's not teh funny.

I'm pretty sure this isn't "Competitive Smash A-hole's Area". It's General Brawl Discussion. If you want to get technical, go to the technical section. If you want to praise Melee, go to Melee. But stay out of here. This is for generally talking about the NEW Smash game.

Honestly, to you Melee players who are btching,
YOU WERE PWN'D. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SAKURAI EXPLAINED IT IN HIS SUMMER INTERVIEW. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN VIDEOS AT E-FOR-ALL WERE SHOWN. A LITTLE TOO LATE TO GLITCH-**** NOW, ISN'T IT?
lol.

I went to E for All, I knew there would be no wavedashing, it didn't take me very long to get used to it(about 3 matches)

And yes, this used to be solely a competitive forum, people came here to learn about advanced techniques and find tournaments near them that they could go to. That's why almost every big name pro has an account here because it WAS a competitive forum. Then some ******** n00bs screaming "OMG, ITS TEH BRAWL, I'Z GONNA MAIN IKE CUZ HE HAS TEH PHIRE AND IS TOP TIRE. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE OTHER COLOR'S WILL BE? AHSLEY FOR BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111" showed up and ruined everything. Understand that before people like you showed up, there was no need for a separate "technical discussion" board as that's why everyone was here, to learn the more technical aspects of the game and to become more competitive.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
But you know what? It's not. Different times, different people, different game. This section is not for Melee. It is for Brawl. A game which I find to be a lot more fun overall, although I still love Melee.

It's like comparing Halo to Metroid Prime. While superficially the same, they are two dynamically very different games with different aspects in almost every category. Only real similarity between Brawl and Melee is the engine and the characters.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
And yes, this used to be solely a competitive forum, people came here to learn about advanced techniques and find tournaments near them that they could go to. That's why almost every big name pro has an account here because it WAS a competitive forum.
Yeah. Used to.
But now there are forums for that. The Melee section, and the tech section. Don't live in the past! =P

Understand that before people like you showed up, there was no need for a separate "technical discussion" board as that's why everyone was here, to learn the more technical aspects of the game and to become more competitive.
of Melee.
That's what the Melee section is for.
lol.

And I've yet to post a ZOMG I'M GONNA BE IKE HE BE TOP TIRE, or ASHLEY FOR BRAWL thread.

But you know what? It's not. Different times, different people, different game. This section is not for Melee. It is for Brawl. A game which I find to be a lot more fun overall, although I still love Melee.

It's like comparing Halo to Metroid Prime. While superficially the same, they are two dynamically very different games with different aspects in almost every category. Only real similarity between Brawl and Melee is the engine and the characters.
Agreed.

Adius

Smash Rookie
If you feel the need to type in all caps, if you can feel your blood pressure rising while reading and responding to internet forums about video games for children... maybe you should step back and take a look at what your life has become.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
If you feel the need to type in all caps, if you can feel your blood pressure rising while reading and responding to internet forums about video games for children... maybe you should step back and take a look at what your life has become.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW

I WILL END YOU

caps

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
If you feel the need to type in all caps, if you can feel your blood pressure rising while reading and responding to internet forums about video games for children...
Good thing mine hasn't =P

dhjackburton

Smash Rookie
To Pink Reaper:

I have been following your posts on this thread, where you have come to the conclusion that Brawl is a defensive game where shield grabbing is the primary strategy for success. Your statement struck me as I found that the lvl 9 computer would shield grab me out of virtually every offensive melee (hand-to-hand) attack i threw at it. In general, I've been having a hard time with a lvl 9 computer in Brawl, were as the lvl 9 computer in Melee was a joke. Based on your comments and my experience with being shield-grabbed constantly, I tried choosing a character I can spam with [fox] and played keep way until they got close, at which point I would alternate dodges and shield-grabbing. Conclusion: lvl 9 computer is now easy to beat.

Before I get flamed for citing a computer and not a human player, i have not had an oppertuntiy to smash with my friends, who are rather good (as am I) at melee. Tomorrow, I will be having a smash-fest with them where I will be able to truely test out brawl.

It seems to me that Pink Reaper is totaly correct in his assertion that brawl is fundamentally broken (for now at least) and will be dominated by defensive players, spammers, and shield grabbers. Obviously, since Brawl has not been out for very long in the states, it will take some time to find work-arounds and technical strategies to make brawl 'more' competitive.

For this reason, I believe Melee is better [for now]. To be honest, I started playing melee as a party game. 3 of my frends and I having fun beating on each other with various nintendo icons. But at some point, we started playing to get better. As we got better, the game got more competitive, and so did we. This actually made the game MORE fun, because we each had some tecnical aspects of the game to work on to make us better (the mind games and strategy were always there and are a given). When I played Melee, I lived for the crazy exchanges where i would attack, and my friend would dodge, then attack and i'd block then try to grab and they'd dodge or jump then attack and i'd wavedash back and smash, ect. We would have these lighting fast exchanges where no one would land anything until finally someone landed a hit. It was fantastic. Your hands would just take over. For a brief second or two, the game transended fighting and became an art. Those were the moments I grew to love in Melee, and those moments I have yet to experience in Brawl.

As I said, I will play competitively with my friends tomorrow, but I truely hope that Brawl can attain this level of gameplay. If it can't, it simply wont be competitive.

To everyone who believes Brawl can succeed even if it can't become a cometitive game [like melee did]: the reason Melee was so successful for so long was exclusively because of it's competitive component. At some point, all the smashers I have met got bored of playing smash 'just for fun' and started to play competitively in order for smash to remain interesting and fun for them. That will not change with brawl. The melee community demands Brawl be competitive, so it is inevitable that smasher's question of -- is melee or brawl better because of its ability to be played competitively -- is not only a valid question, it is a necessary question that every smasher on this forum should take seriously.

At pressent, i think melee is better. That may soon change, it may not. I hope it does.

Please forgive the length of this post.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
I'll just repost this:

"Honestly I don't care if you guys or anyone else finds melee better or brawl better. You guys have fun with your respected games. I for one enjoy brawl so much more then melee. I just have much more fun with the features of brawl over melee so I will keep playing it and having more fun with my game. I wish you all to do the same with yours.

But honestly, put these little topics to rest, it's ridiculous how much flame bait is used in these topics. Both sides need to really just quiet down and enjoy their games. Does it really matter what people you don't even know think?"

majora_787

Smash Hero
...You really failed...I don't know WHAT your complaining about. I played as both bowser AND falco. Falco is way better, and bowser...well he's not my favorite still, but he IS considerably better. And also, I pulled off a 5-9 hitter with Wolf. That takes care of combos. I really don't see why your complaining so much.

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I've read. Ike is cheap? Come on... and arguing with Plairnkk? He would destroy you at Brawl, you clearly know absolutely nothing about Smash.
What's your Brawl code? I'll be happy to put you in your place.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Brawl is not better than Melee.

The best thing about Melee was it's competitive aspect. It's what made people play it for 7 years. It made people want to get better, and they trained for years to reach their goal. People travelled all over the country and the world to play Melee because Melee gave them something to play for. Melee was competitive, meaning that it had certain aspects that set people apart in terms of skill, but, at the same time, made people love it even more because they had dreames to be the best or atleast be recognized as a good smasher. Melee is the bond between the majority of people who play SSB games. Brawl won't be this. With it's lack of competitivity, it'll become another "Hey what game do you want to play?" game instead of "Hey, lets practice some Brawl" game. Melee, for competitive players, was rarely set aside for another game. And even if it was, it was always the glue that held competitive friendships together.

Brawl won't last as long as Melee has.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Melee far more than Brawl due to reasons others have stated in this thread. If Brawl can't be played competitivly, then it will lose my interest. I'm not going to waste years trying to become the best at a game that no one else plays, it'd be like becomeing the best at Donkey Kong 64, which is a fun game, but I've never heard of any competitive DK64 players

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
Brawl is not better than Melee.

The best thing about Melee was it's competitive aspect. It's what made people play it for 7 years. It made people want to get better, and they trained for years to reach their goal. People travelled all over the country and the world to play Melee because Melee gave them something to play for. Melee was competitive, meaning that it had certain aspects that set people apart in terms of skill, but, at the same time, made people love it even more because they had dreames to be the best or atleast be recognized as a good smasher. Melee is the bond between the majority of people who play SSB games. Brawl won't be this. With it's lack of competitivity, it'll become another "Hey what game do you want to play?" game instead of "Hey, lets practice some Brawl" game. Melee, for competitive players, was rarely set aside for another game. And even if it was, it was always the glue that held competitive friendships together.

Brawl won't last as long as Melee has.
Yea, because it's alot more balanced. You can't pull off the crazy stunts like you could in Melee. I remember one game many years ago as if it happened yesterday. I was DK and my friend was Fox. He had 2 lives with 70 damage and I had 1 life with 150 damage. We were fighting on Corneria and I tossed him off the edge and headbutted him down when he tried to get back. After that I got him off the edge again, but I did my backwards A kick about 5 times until he died by going off screen.

Things like that usually induced stomach churning laughter, but in Brawl when someone combos the hell out of you, you usually just feel really angry. I don't think Brawl will last as long as Melee did unless they fix multiplayer and add a stock option for Basic Brawl.

Altogether, I love Brawl though. I think once people get over the fact that Melee is a thing of the past and get more accustomed to Brawl, you will see more enthusiasm.

Death

Smash Lord
Wow, was I wrong.

I played the game some more yesterday and Brawl, I have to admit, holds its own.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't even own a Wii or Brawl.

Someone please lock this thread. It's getting out of hand and its just a big argument.

Overall, Melee>Brawl but Brawl is still a GREAT game.

What a contradiction to my initial post. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom