• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the Top 10 Players of 2012?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
One set, dude. Whereas PP has won their head-to-heads every time in recent memory. Have your opinion, but ours is definitely not "unfathomable" because Hbox beat mango one time.
My basis for Hbox being better isn't about beating mango once. It is about numerous things like performing better than PP in recent nationals. but beating mango is a part of it.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly have been their head to heads "in recent memory"?
The pre-apex MM? ok then "one set, dude."
Pound 5? wasn't Hbox like super sick? I mean, people pull sick johns for PP at genesis so idk >_>

how far back are we going? are we going back to 2010 to discuss which players are the best in 2012? 0_o

If I missed any other "recent" sets then let me know because I've forgot. PP could still be better, but I tried to be objective as possible in my analysis and this is the conclusion i come to.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
My basis for Hbox being better isn't about beating mango once. It is about numerous things like performing better than PP in recent nationals. but beating mango is a part of it.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly have been their head to heads "in recent memory"?
The pre-apex MM? ok then "one set, dude."
Pound 5? wasn't Hbox like super sick? I mean, people pull sick johns for PP at genesis so idk >_>

how far back are we going? are we going back to 2010 to discuss which players are the best in 2012? 0_o

If I missed any other "recent" sets then let me know because I've forgot. PP could still be better, but I tried to be objective as possible in my analysis and this is the conclusion i come to.
Hmm

well depending on how far back you go, PP and I have beaten each other quite a few times

Recently PP has beaten me more, but recently I've beaten Mango more than PP has

and recently I've been the only player to take a set off Armada

but PP did beat me and Armada at Pound 5

But Armada did wreck PP in like three other nationals

That $100 MM me and PP did at Tipped Off 6: We were both playing very well, matches went down to the wire almost constantly, and by the second set he had figured me out pretty well. Scores were indeed 3-2 and 3-1. And I believe at Pound 5 our set was 3-1. I beat him ROM2. He (and M2K) beat me at ROM3.

I beat Javi, who beat PP. But there is no proof that PP would have beaten me/lost to me had he beat Javi in tournament.

Mango had a far better winning streak than me, Armada, or PP. Had he not done that strange sandbagging regime for like 5-6 tournaments, he would probably still be considered 1 or 2 right now.

I still think that ELO site holds lots of good data. Should be looked at a lot more, even if it still hasn't been finalized yet. Not so much for the ranking (Right now it says I'm #2 worldwide, but hell if I know) but for the data it has on matchups.

For instance:

HBOX vs. Dr PP

http://ssbpd.com/player/Hungrybox/versus/Dr Peepee

It's incomplete I believe, as it doesn't include any of our sets before ROM2. I had beaten Dr. PP at like 2 or 3 other tournaments (including the first CEO). Anyway, it's just an example of how the site can be used to count sets. And yes, Dr. PP has beaten me in just two tournament sets and one serious big money match in the past year or two.

And had I played my cards a little differently (and by little I mean put on a green hat ;) ) at APEX2012 Grand Finals maybe I would have won. Maybe not. And if I had, who knows what the ranking would be?

I'm a huge fan of compiling statistics, and I love having the boards to discuss this. Many factors come into play and it's good to see how all the variables interact.

And as for sick johns, it's just something one has to deal with. Another obstacle. You could take PP at Genesis 2, where he looked paler than Casper and I had to talk him into still trying in brackets after losing to Taj (or Shroomed I think).

Or you could take me at Pound 5. For anyone curious, after Pound 5 I weighed 160 pounds.

I weighed 185 when I flew into Washington that weekend.

:(

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good stuff from Hbox

In their 3 most recent meetings, PP has won the head-to-head against hbox. Hbox has outplaced PP at the last two nationals. Some would probably say this gives Hbox the advantage, some that it speaks for PP. Either way, it's not at all preposterous to place PP above Hbox if it's still OK to put Axe top 10.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
Chisk1n: I really liked seeing Javi place well at Apex and I think I was the one that was most happy to see that happen next to himself/Mexican community but saying Tuga is best Falco means he would be better then Mango. I think that is wrong especially since Javi could not outplace him last time.

I hope with all of my heart that at least Javi/Tuga attend FC or if Genesis3/Apex happens in the future =)
Hey Armada, do you lilke In Flames?

lulwhatdunevenask.

musashi

Smash Apprentice
I just got this list that has the winner of each SmashMex and EX has actually won more tournaments than Javi lol.
SMX 1 - Oswaldo
SMX 2 - Jonas
SMX 3 - Javi
SMX 4 - Javi
SMX 5 - EX
SMX 6 - Tuga
SMX 7 - EX
SMX 8 - Javi
SMX 9 - EX
SMX 10 - EX
SMX 11 - Yu

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nope more like you stupid obese flopmericans aren't as good as you delude yourselves into thinking you are

(getting MikeHaggar's post out of the way)

Chisk1n

Smash Cadet
I just got this list that has the winner of each SmashMex and EX has actually won more tournaments than Javi lol.
SMX 1 - Oswaldo
SMX 2 - Jonas
SMX 3 - Javi
SMX 4 - Javi
SMX 5 - EX
SMX 6 - Tuga
SMX 7 - EX
SMX 8 - Javi
SMX 9 - EX
SMX 10 - EX
SMX 11 - Yu
Javi doesn't attended the tourneys where EX won , besides Javi has beaten EX a lot of times, tournament finals included.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
IMO

1.Mango
2.Armada
3.Mew2King
4.Javi
5.Dr. Peepee
6.Axe
7.Kage
8.Taj
9.Hax
10. Jman
No HBox at all?
And Kage is amazing, but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere that high if you're going to leave out Shroomed, Wobbles, KK, Fly Amanita, S2J, etc. (there are quite a few ahead of him).

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
No HBox at all?
And Kage is amazing, but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere that high if you're going to leave out Shroomed, Wobbles, KK, Fly Amanita, S2J, etc. (there are quite a few ahead of him).
Whoops, I forgot about Hungrybox. He would probably make top five somewhere.

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
Lol at Mango being better than Armada
Armada has been outplaying him, but Mango does have potential to become even rivals with him again. I just gotta give him props because he is the player who got me back into playing Melee after watching one of his random combo videos when I got bored one day. I stumbled onto it after watching a how to make a mango smoothie video, lol.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Armada has been outplaying him, but Mango does have potential to become even rivals with him again. I just gotta give him props because he is the player who got me back into playing Melee after watching one of his random combo videos when I got bored one day. I stumbled onto it after watching a how to make a mango smoothie video, lol.
You know who else has potential?

Everyone.

So I must be first!

O:

:awesome:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
1. Mango - he's too good.
2. Armada - he should be best, but he's gay and I get mad whenever I watch him play.
3. Hbox
4. Javi
5. Dr. PeePee
6. M2K
7. Axe
8. KirbyKaze
9. s2j
10. everybody else

The Star King

Smash Hero
1. Mango - he's too good.
2. Armada - he should be best, but he's gay and I get mad whenever I watch him play.
3. Hbox
4. Javi
5. Dr. PeePee
6. M2K
7. Axe
8. KirbyKaze
9. s2j
10. everybody else
Yes, because the great AesirGod doesn't enjoy watching Armada, clearly this means Armada is a worse player than he would be otherwise

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
I'll have a go at this.

Armada
Hbox
Mango(soon to drop, apparently he's done)
PP
M2k

After that is really close. I think axe is held back a little bit since pika has harder matchups but he's definitely capable of high placings. Anyway

Shroomed
Javi
Hax/S2J
Wobbles
Leffen

Something like that

:phone:

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
1.Arm ada - (He has outplayed everyone consistently enough to make this spot. When posed with the problem of HBox, he had the adversity to pick up YL and play him exceptionally in tournament.)

2. Mango - (Steadily declining. More and more johns and less and less results. I don't know whether he's not trying or he's lost it, but something definitely feels different about him as a player.)

3. HBox - (Probably the most consistent mother****er around, next to shroomed. Despite how some people feel about his playstyle, he can still beat the best of the best and proved that at Apex.)

4. Dr. PeePee - (I think PP is still on the rise. He will definitely climb this list over the next couple of years.)

5. Javi - (While his win over most of america + PP is impressive enough to get him on this list, there isn't enough solid proof to place him over PP. The 4/5 spots are very tentative, as I'd need to see Javi play at more US tournaments to feel comfortable placing him higher.)

6. M2K - (He's just in that odd *** state of being better than most but worse than the best. For some reason it feels like he won't get out of this rut, but we'll see what happens.)

7. Shroomed - (THE most consistent mother****er around. The last couple of YEARS he's been able to compete with top players, and shows it in his placings. Ya'll *****s sleep on this chocolate doc wayyyyy to hard.)

8. Wobbles - (A very great player with very great potential. Def still on the come-up.)

9. Lovage - (Has been consistently playing a solid *** fox for a very long time, and placing well to boot. Definitely one of the most skilled spacies in the game.)

10. Axe - (It was hard to pick this last spot, but Axe is definitely deserving of it, if not higher. Really, really great player that people sometimes tend to forget about it. It's also very hard to be good while playing Pika, as much as people love to ride Axe's **** for it.)

Any of those last 4 or so entries could be exchanged with KK, S2J, Hax, etc...

Honorable mention to Kage, Tope, unknown, amsah.

Varist

Smash Lord
i been keepin up with this thread since page one.

gonna post a list. lots of thought went into it, almost everyone who's a big name outside their region was considered

lemme know what the people think

Tier 1 Players

01. Armada
02. Mango
03. Hbox
04. Dr. PeePee
05. Mew2King

Tier 2 Players

06. KirbyKaze --- Hax --- Shroomed --- Javi
10. Wobbles --- Taj --- Jman --- Zhu --- Lucky

Tier 3 Players

15. Axe --- Amsah --- Lovage --- S2J --- PC Chris
20. MacD --- Unknown522 --- Kage --- SFAT --- Teczero

Tier 4 Players

25. Vanz --- Fly Amanita --- Scar --- Tope --- Dart
30. SilentWolf --- Ice --- PewPewU --- Kels --- Darc

Tier 5 Players

35. Westballz / Eddy Mexico / GamerGuitarist7 / ChuDat / Chillindude / KoreanDJ
big gob of people idk jesus christ ****

Hugs/Forward/shizwiz/callew/ss whatever were exluded either because i have no idea what their region looks like or they quit or whatever and stuff

my reasoning was basically like "can the people in Tier 2 for the most part beat the people in Tier 3 often enough" and on and on. javi doesn't belong in the top 5 yet, not enough evidence. just simply not enough. nope. it's like if a scientist did one trial of an experiment and found out aids came from irish people and told everyone aids came from irish people and no one ever did a 2nd experiment. aids dont come from irish people. i realize javi thing is going to be the most contentious part of this list.

let me know if i missed anyone obvious and i'll stick them in.

this list is just how i feel and stuff okay

King5280

Smash Journeyman
1. Armada
2. Mango
3. Hungrybox
4. Dr.PP (Could be switched to 3 but right now I feel Hbox barely edges him out)
5. M2k
6. Shroomed
7. Hax
8. KK
9.Wobbles
10. Javi (I think he could be anywhere on this list between 6 and just outside of top ten but I think he showed he is one hell of a smasher. Its tough to say accurately without seeing him play more people on this list)

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
i been keepin up with this thread since page one.

gonna post a list. lots of thought went into it, almost everyone who's a big name outside their region was considered

lemme know what the people think

Tier 1 Players

01. Armada
02. Mango
03. Hbox
04. Dr. PeePee
05. Mew2King

Tier 2 Players

06. KirbyKaze --- Hax --- Shroomed --- Javi
10. Wobbles --- Taj --- Jman --- Zhu --- Lucky

Tier 3 Players

15. Axe --- Amsah --- Lovage --- S2J --- PC Chris
20. MacD --- Unknown522 --- Kage --- SFAT --- Teczero

Tier 4 Players

25. Vanz --- Fly Amanita --- Scar --- Tope --- Dart
30. SilentWolf --- Ice --- PewPewU --- Kels --- Darc

Tier 5 Players

35. Westballz / Eddy Mexico / GamerGuitarist7 / ChuDat / Chillindude / KoreanDJ
big gob of people idk jesus christ ****

Hugs/Forward/shizwiz/callew/ss whatever were exluded either because i have no idea what their region looks like or they quit or whatever and stuff

let me know if i missed anyone obvious and i'll stick them in.

this list is just how i feel and stuff okay
Great list man. I would probably place Axe into tier 2 though. Axe is awesome :D

Varist

Smash Lord
it hurt my heart to put him in Tier 3 DLC but i haven't seen him beating KK Wobbles Taj Shroomed etc. lately. he could go in with lucky and jman but I feel like he's on the same footing as PC S2J Amsah etc.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I think Axe is really good skillwise but the problem is he has a set style (a lot of gimmicks and stuff since Pikachu is a lower tiered character compared to many others so he has to rely on gimmicks that people aren't used to like Nair behind them -> full jump Uair and stuff, and even if they are aware of it they aren't used to it + he's fighting so fast it's hard to think that fast sometimes) so people that play him a lot (Arizona especially) will all do good against him, then players that don't fight him as often (anyone OOS) Axe will do better against by comparison due to all his tricks working. In general I feel like characters that are not used as often, while they may not be as good as some other characters, the fact that few people have experience against them will give them a nice advantage most of the time.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
idk i still think pikachu is better than ganon. I feel like he handles all of the top 5 characters in the game better than ganon does.

i also think ICs could be better than falcon for the same reason, since they do well vs all the top 4 or 5 chars more so than falcon does. At least when wobbling is legal they should be above him for sure

my opinion

Shroomed

Smash Master
idk i still think pikachu is better than ganon. I feel like he handles all of the top 5 characters in the game better than ganon does.

i also think ICs could be better than falcon for the same reason, since they do well vs all the top 4 or 5 chars more so than falcon does. At least when wobbling is legal they should be above him for sure

my opinion
How good do you think Doc is? I still have quite a few things I need to get good at so I don't think I'm capped with him.

And you're 100% right about the unusual character advantage. Once people learn how to **** Doc I feel like I'm going to start losing a lot more =(

That is until my Marth steps out from the darkness!

Top Bottom