• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who beats link?

Solo

Smash Journeyman
Link is a versatile character. He has many different methods and styles of use.

There is "Terrorist Link", as my friends jokingly put it, when Link goes nuts with the bombs.

There is the "Abusive Link", abuses the Up + B and the Aerial Down + A.

The "Runner Link", when he runs away, chucks a projectile and runs again. ("Runner" can be applied to any character with projectiles.)

"Cowardly Link", runs. Runs for higher ground and that's about it.

And "All Around Link", does everything well and smooth. Stays in the fight, utilizes every projectile. Uses priority and range to own advantage.

And there are many more. These are the only ones I could think up. There is no "Ultimate character" to use against Link. Now some will do better than others.

For your question, I would have to say either another Link, or Fox/Falco. The reason behind this is "Fight fire with fire." "Fight projectiles with projectiles."

I'd say, either have your own barrage of projectiles or counter act his/hers. Definetely use Fox/Falco's Reflector shield. This is all the advice that I can give, you didn't give much on what type of Link you are facing. And anyways, there is another topic about fighting Link. Look into that a bit.

oVerkast

Smash Rookie
Mwa ha ha

Man, you can beat Link with just about anyone... I was asking this same question a few months ago, as I had an opponent who utilized the abusive/cowardly style (ran away a lot, used a lot of up+b's and down+a's, but didn't really have a whole lot of skill). Neither did I at the time, but I knew better than to abuse moves. Eventually, skill will prevail over BS, and you will find yourself loving fighting against this kind of link.

Beating the aerial down+a and up+b: Usually, all you have to do is block and then Link will be wide open for an attack. Grab him or smack him with a smash attack or something. I find Mario is good against an up+b abuser, when you block it, it'll usually push you away a little bit putting you in good range for a forward smash.

Overall, I'd say that Falco, Fox, Mario/Dr. Mario, Gannondorf, ****, even the Ice Climbers can own Link.

Now, I'm not saying this will work against an extremely skilled Link player (although I've NEVER seen one yet.... I have seen really good Young Link players though who I have MAD respect for, but that's another story...) but it will work against abusive/cowardly/runaway Links. :cool:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I say Fox/Falco. Hands down. But then you could try using Link yourself, and then it's skill and luck that will take over.

Wow, I'm looking down MD, and there's NO closed threads. That's like... epic.

x1372

Smash Ace
I'd also have to agree that fox (or falco) is probably the best counter to link. Many of link's better defensive tactics require having the opponent come to him, rather than the reverse. Link's dominant projectiles let him force most characters to him, giving him that advantage. however, fox and falco can turn the tables - they can reflect anything he throws at them and have projectiles themselves that seem to go through link's shield most of the time. My only competition for a long time was an extremely good defensive link, and while he could give my sheil a good amount of trouble, I could force him onto offense and usually win that way with fox, who I know I'm rather poor with. Falco may be an even better choice, because fox is naturally geared towards offensive fighting while falco from my experiences is much more adept at the defensive game.

tissue

Smash Ace
I'd say your best char, and try to find a way to beat him in every situation. For example, think "What if he does this", and find a counter with your best char. There will be a move that will at least help you to dodge it. But yeah, Fox is definitely a good idea. Though eventually your opponent might get smart to it, and come in for grabs. Unless, he's a complete noob like me.:bee:

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
link's too slow to be cowardly.

Jiggles can really get link with the fact that she can intercept his up+b off the edge and it's all over for him, plus take advantage of his lack of a good fast move that hits someone coming in from the side but a little above. Still, I've heard it said that a Jiggles can't take a really good link, although I've never really seen that.

Fox, falco, shiek should work fine... basicly link's not so good that you gotta look for just one or two charachters.

Luigi is fun because you can bling him anytime you dodge a grab.

MarioNewbie

Smash Rookie
hey....
i say you can beat link with anyone just depends on how you play i know projectiles.. work very very well.. on links.. but then again so does timing... and avoiding there grabs.. links mostly like to abuse there grabs.. from what i've seen with with my friend.. but just learn to work around what they dish out and dont try to run them down in a blunt battle.. you will get up + B'ed to death.. so i dont recommend it just try to fake them out in to up and b'ing and get a free grab or somthing just work on timing... i guess

Dismojoe

Smash Apprentice
Hey Maro, care to explain your answer? Well I would also chose Fox. Link is a projectile users, I mean abuser so Fox would be a good choice since he can reflect projectiles. Also Fox's weight prevents Link from killing Fox so often unlike most characters that barely weigh anything. Thats my two cents and I would also say just to use your best character if you want to because any character can beat Link if they have the fundamentals down.

Lock

Smash Apprentice
I personally think that we are all overrating Fox and Falco in the Link matchup. From reading this topic, most of the people who recommended Fox and Falco had only mentioned that they could reflect all of Link's projectiles back at him, and then concluded there with some random fact, such as their fast falling or the fact that they have projectiles as well. The reflector is really not as useful as you would think it is against Link.

There are many beginner Link players who mainly use projectiles to damage you into KOing range. That is the situation where the reflector would completely trash Link's strategy. However, you hardly need a counter-character against a beginner. On the other hand, expert Link players commonly use projectiles as a distraction instead of a source of damage.

For example, Link would throw a boomerang upwards and right, above the opponent, if they were in front of him. This would usually stop the other player from jumping in the air when Link attacks, since then they would be hit by the boomerang. In short, these projectiles are simply used as a way to limit your opponent's options when they attack you, or you attack them. An advanced Link player could care less if you reflected a boomerang thrown at them, since that would give them opportunity to jump in and land a few hits while the Fox or Falco is recovering from the reflector instead of initiating their own offense or defense.

That is not to say that Link would crush Falco or Fox in a match, but just that an expert player is not as bad against them as people are saying. Same with the reflector. If your aim is to defeat a beginner using the "terrorist", "runner", "coward", and "abusive" Link strategies named earlier, it would definitely work. But against a good "all-around" Link that knows what they're doing, the strategy is practically useless.

The character I would recommend against Link is Jigglypuff. Like someone said before, Link lacks a good fast move that hits somebody coming in from above and to the side of him. Jigglypuff's jumping, I think, can dodge most of an advanced Link's most used ways of attacking. Many of Jigglypuff's offensive maneuvers do come in the direction of Link's weak spot (the above and to the side).

Finally, because of the lag on many of Link's moves, and Link's above-average size, he is an easily target for Jigglypuff's killer down-B after many of his attacks, including the mid-air down-A, any of his smashes, most of his tilts, and up-B. The only thing the Jigglypuff player has to worry about is a barrage of projectiles. Still, it is, in my opinion, an easy matchup for Jigglypuff.

Dismojoe

Smash Apprentice
X Japan, we all know anybody can beat anybody but he is looking for the best to defeat Link or as some people say, Link's counter chatacter.

Crew

Smash Apprentice
That was a stupid post, X.

Anyway. Yeah. Falco and Fox are both good against Link. I used to play a little Link myself.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
I too have been having trouble beating my friend who is an expert Link user. Sheik (my best character) does not seem to be working. I would recomend going with Falco, since he seems to be Link's counter, and I have been practicing with him for quit some time.

x1372

Smash Ace
having over 300 matches as jiggly against decent to good link players, I figured I had to comment again

as for the jigglypuff as a counter character, against a good link with a good jigglypuff I'd have to say it's a pretty even match. On the plus side, you've got a character who plays very offensively and has moves that can lure him into missing his attacks. On the minus side, he can prevent some of your movement or damage you with his projectiles, and he's one of the world's biggest pains in the *** to edge guard. To even have a chance to edge guard with jiggly you have to follow as soon as you hit him and get at least two jumps worth off the platform to prevent his air dodge to hookshot return (whereas with peach a turnip spam will work wonders, for example). Early on against my opponent link I could get off a jump when I expected him to use either a throw or a spin attack on the ground (which set him up for an easy rest) but against a good link you're almost never going to get that (if you have the opportunity to jump before either would come off he's doing something wrong). Jiggly's offense can often break through link's defensive setup and severely punish him, but you have to trick him into making a mistake, which can get very hard if the link knows your style. I see these two as a pretty even match, while I've had excellent results against link with fox and falco (and peach, but she's my best character at this point)

PaperGoomba

Smash Cadet
I say Peach.

Her Turnip is a total annoyance to Links. And her umbrella and up smash beat Link's aerial Down-A!! Link's laggy moves allow Peach to use her Toad more effectively. She can float over Link's Projectiles. As for the Spin attack....I CAN SPIN TOO, TAKE THAT!!!!

Mr.Q

Smash Apprentice
id say any of the characters with reflectors can own link.

......but i guess it comes down to the players.

Da'Sheikie

Smash Cadet
Sheik will violate Link, like no one else could. And Link would enjoy it. :p

But one thing that Link Does beat Sheik at is his Arrow will go threw even a Full Charged Needle Blast. :eek:

Wuhubettur

Smash Apprentice
No no, Jiggs is not a countercharacter for Link. In fact, Link is probably 2nd best against the Puff (the best being Marth, of course). After completely rocking everyone else, I was beaten by a Link player 2-0 in a local tournament, because I just couldn't get past those projectiles.
Yes, the up-B leaves him open, but this one was smart enough to cover himself with projectiles before he did that, and I only Rested him once.

RyokoTK

Smash Rookie
Well, you can just use someone with stronger projectiles, I suppose. Samus can knock the crap out of Link. Missiles will disrupt pretty much anything he does, and a bomb to his face will break down a Spin Attack. Or you can use someone with superior speed: Sheik, Fox, Falco, those are all good choices. Keep Link bouncing and he can't abuse moves. And his Sword Plant is pretty predictable. "Oh jeez, Link is 50 feet above me. There's NO WAY he'll use Sword Plant! Oh no." Right. Unless they can L-Cancel like a god, you can hit them after they Sword Plant over and over again.

Dante Lazarus

Smash Journeyman
why all this talk about owning link and beating link with anybody, have any of you ever met a truly worthy link, if you havent, im always here, the only reason you all talk so lowly of him, then thats because you are beating human links that have the skill of a lvl 9, and talk of projectile characters owning link, are you kidding me? link is not all projectiles, sure 3 of his 4 B moves are projectiles but that doesnt mean that he strictly relies on them, he's got other moves too, and what is this "link is slow" crap, if you're judging slowness on running speed, you better pull your head out, links lag is low to none, his moves are quick and unreadable, so if you still think that link is so "low tier" try taking on a link player that actually knows what he's doing

peace,
Dante Lazarus

Shadowwarrior88

Smash Ace
you'll most likely have an advantage with quick characters against Link.Link can't run that fast because of his heavy shield and sword.;)

RyokoTK

Smash Rookie
You're right, Link doesn't rely on projectiles... but see, that's kinda where he falters. He has powerful air attacks, but that's not really his preferred battleground (he'll get bested by Marth, or anyone with higher priority). Because three of his four B moves are unimpressive projectiles, he loses places where he could have better moves, and since he runs slowly and doesn't jump high, it's easy to evade him, or strike quickly with characters like Sheik or Fox/Falco. And like I said before, strong projectiles like those of Samus will knock his skull in if he doesn't look alive. Missiles are really quite effective weapons.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by RyokoTK
Well, you can just use someone with stronger projectiles, I suppose. Samus can knock the crap out of Link. Missiles will disrupt pretty much anything he does, and a bomb to his face will break down a Spin Attack. Or you can use someone with superior speed: Sheik, Fox, Falco, those are all good choices. Keep Link bouncing and he can't abuse moves. And his Sword Plant is pretty predictable. "Oh jeez, Link is 50 feet above me. There's NO WAY he'll use Sword Plant! Oh no." Right. Unless they can L-Cancel like a god, you can hit them after they Sword Plant over and over again.
true fox, falco, and sheik all have "advantages" over link....but samus's more powerful projectiles cannot compete with the range link's attacks have over samus's.....samus's projectiles can be easily avoided and can cause samus to resort to hand to hand combat where link obviously excels.

RyokoTK

Smash Rookie
Sorry to burst your bubble, buddy, but Samus outranges Link. I don't understand why people think like this. People consider projectiles to be like, where one person just walks into them. They don't work like that. Samus's most powerful weapon is her Charge Beam, and I'll put that to use at point blank range for an easy KO. Also, Missiles pack enough punch to be a decent use close up, at least to set up for her reasonably-powered smashes.

Oh, and Link's projectiles are also easier to avoid than Samus's. Wooh, bombs. I'll never see them coming.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by RyokoTK
Sorry to burst your bubble, buddy, but Samus outranges Link. I don't understand why people think like this. People consider projectiles to be like, where one person just walks into them. They don't work like that. Samus's most powerful weapon is her Charge Beam, and I'll put that to use at point blank range for an easy KO. Also, Missiles pack enough punch to be a decent use close up, at least to set up for her reasonably-powered smashes.

Oh, and Link's projectiles are also easier to avoid than Samus's. Wooh, bombs. I'll never see them coming.
i don't think i need to say anything about this post except.....

......looks like we have another NOOB amongst us!

Dante Lazarus

Smash Journeyman
bombs arent used as straight on attacks, they are used as alternate projectiles when you want to have fun and in times of close combat when any attack is possible, of course you can see a bomb coming at you from 10 feet away, but from 2 feet... even when you're not sure if he's gonna throw the bomb or attack with a normal smash, and to the person who was talking smack on the aerial down+a, yes you're right, it is one of the most predictable moves in the game, which is why good link players use it at the most non-predictable part of the fight, a few good examples would be run - short jump - down stab... or... when someone jumps while link is coming down and they meet half way, and if the opponent happened to mid-air dodge and the link L-canceled out of it, neither person would have any amount of set back, or one of my favorite examples... the drop-through down stab, when somebody is below you on a platform'ed level, drop-through and down stab
link has to have a non-predictable owner in order to be a good character

peace,
Dante Lazarus

soroush123

Smash Lord
I personaly think Shiek is a great counter. The chain throw helps, and she is fast and her moves have almost no lag.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Man....so much hate on Link...:(
Unless they can L-Cancel like a god, you can hit them after they Sword Plant over and over again.
If they can't cancel like a god, then you really don't need to worry about what character to beat him with. A non-consistent cancelling Link is nothing to worry about.

Samus does NOT counter Link. It's just a real tough battle, for both of 'em. Sheik does(chain grab to 100+ percent), Marth does (chain throw to the edge, chop, slices through projectiles, better range), Ganon's a tough battle, dunno about jiggly, Fox&Falco probably but they really gotta know what their doing, and Falcon. I see Falcon's as real problems to Link. It just seems that Link's only priority attack is his neutral, and that can be knee'd. All of Falcon's attacks come out faster, more powerful, he can pull that neutral combo on Link, and fly over projectiles. Link against Falcon is a losing battle.

Though take note, a good Link can really own any of these characters if they don't know their stuff. A sheik that doesn't chaingrab is gonna feel it from Link.

Anyways, the topic says "Who Beats Link?" I don't see why "anyone" is a BS answer. It's true, anybody can beat Link if their good enough, same goes for any other character. If he wanted counter characters, he should have stated it. You don't have to be an *** about it.:o

AWrulez

Smash Journeyman
Samus's forward tilt beats Link's sword in range, I think... and down tilt comes awfully close. Link's sword is a disjointed hitbox, but still.

Sheik beats Link. Needles are helpful, and she could chain him. Bad. His weight and falling speed makes him an ideal target for combos too.

Pimplicious

Smash Apprentice
I'm of the opinion that a Jigglypuff player who knows how to short hop a Rest can beat a Link player of equal skill.

Geo

Smash Ace
Link's up B owns your Fox/Falcos recovery. It eats them alive. Link can take projectiles by just sitting still, his Hyrulian shield will gladly take everything Samus has. I don't know about the lasers from Fox/Falco though.

Jiggs is kinda light, Link can rack up a little damage and sneak in and up B and she's gone.

I'm gonna say Sheik just cause she can chain throw him into kill range and then toss him up and follow up with and up air or slap.

Falcon's and Ganon's recovery also gets ***** by Links up B. They can deal with projectiles just fine. Ganon can punch the boomerang and dodge arrows. Falcon can just kick the boomerang and dodge arrows too.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Who doesn't beat Link?

j/k, best character would be Sheik. I suggest you find and read Kenshin's Link guide as it goes into a lot of detail on what advantages Sheik has over Link and how many Link players might try and counter those advantages.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Playing as Young Link (not older link) I always seem to have trouble with people who are really good with Ice Climbers. Me thinks the same may apply to the older link, it's just the way Ice Climbers have their moves. Their neutral b seems to negate alot of projectilse and the fact that there's two smashers messes up his close range attacks.

I really don't like the idea of what characters beat what though. Just depends how you play.

Top Bottom