• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who compliments Falco as a 2ndary main?

UCbizerkeley

Smash Cadet
I am far from developing a perfect Falco, but believe that I should attempt to learn two characters at once really. Does any particular character work well against Falco nemesis characters?

My initial plan was to learn Sheik, simply because she is an easier character to master in terms of technical requirements. Other thought is Marth, whose style I don't seem to understand on a more subconcious level.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
um i would say Fox but it's tough to be able to play both fox and falco because they're so different. go for either marth, or someone like lower tier lol cause not many people know how to fight them IMO.

UCbizerkeley

Smash Cadet
um i would say Fox but it's tough to be able to play both fox and falco because they're so different. go for either marth, or someone like lower tier lol cause not many people know how to fight them IMO.
clever clever, that brings to mind jiggs. if someone is unprepared to play a decent jiggs, it can be a blood bath with wop and upthrow > sleep

thatsmybutta

Smash Journeyman
if you main falco you can easily do well against sheik, fox, ganon, link, captain falcon, and any low tiers, but characers like marth, jigglypuff, and iceclimbers can take out falco. so i would say to counter those characters go with peach or marth as a secondary.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
yeah jiggs WoP and uthrow rest is hella cheap. i used to secondary jiggs but now i'm more for mr g&w. peach is pretty gay too so she would be a good secondary too maybe

Miharu

Smash Hero
Meh. Fox's basic techs are the same as Falco's. They just have different playstyles, that's all. The techincal aspect of learning the other space animal isn't too different.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
agreed. fox is harder imo. but hes an obvious choice as a compliment for pesky peaches and jigglys.

forward likes sheik as a second i think and he rules so yeah.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like fox as a secondary for two reasons.

1) It screws up my falco, but this is just me; a lot are able to cope with both characters. I'll perfect waveshining with fox, then my once perfected waveshining with falco goes to **** and vice versa.
2) Too similar of characters. They have similar matchup strengths and problems. I personally enjoy the marth and falco team. I main both because it works well for counter matchups.

Against fox: I use both
Against sheik: I use falco.
Against marth: I use falco.
Against cf: I use falco
Against ice climbers: I use marth
Against samus: I use marth.

etc..

Like when an opponent counters my falco, my marth usually does well against it. You really can't find a character in which both falco and marth does ****ty against.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
b-will you forgot to add-

against falco: **** them with marth.

lol wait til these guys see the video of you fourstocking me on pokemon lol. hopefully i'll do better at T5 agaisnt you so i won't be so embarassed. :-D happy easter

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
Falco, Fox, Sheik, C.Falcon.

The only thing I give that's hard with fox is It kind of messes with my edguarding game with falco. He has less reach and certain attacks aren't as strong or as potent as Falco's.

Against Jiggs - Fox or Sheik
Against Marth - Falco (if i Loose with falco then I'll use Fox or Sheik)
Against Fox - Falco
Against IC's - Fox (If I loose with fox then I'll use C.Falcon)
Against Falco - Falco (I'd use sheik too)
Against Sheik - Falco

Layout is the same as B-will's

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you can practice a LOT before your next important match, and you are willing to put a lot into it, AND you can play fox w/o it messing up your falco, try fox. If someone destroys your falco with peach, you can counterpick FD, they will think you stay falco, maybe thinking you picked there because of the lasers, and you will flatland infinate them 4 times....

Meh, that would take a lot of practice, I just think you should take a look at the all characters matchup chart, see who you and falco have trouble with, and counter them, if you have peach trouble, and peach trouble only, you should try Y. Link

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Falco's worse matchups are:
Peach (slight disadvantage)
Marth (even)
ICs (even)
Falco (even)

Everything else should be in your favor, so you want the best character in those 4 matchups. Peach is good vs. Falco and ICs and increases your Peach matchup to Even, so assuming you're good vs. Marths, Peach is a good one. Marth doesn't do any worse than even against any of those characters and is particularly good vs. Peach and ICs, so he's also a good option. Captain Falcon or Ganon is fine for ICs, Peach, and Marth, but they're only slightly better off than Falco vs. Peach, and probably only as good vs. Marth or ICs.

Honestly, I think Peach/Marth are statistically the best, it just depends on who gives your falco problems. I play routinely against good Marths, ICs, and Falcos, so those matchpus don't bother me, it just the Peach one that's a *****. So I use Sheik (my first main) or Jiggs (my 2v2 char) to counter Peaches and that's about it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Dang wesly, you got really in depth with that...

Based on that, I would suggest using Marth or peach, learn their advanced techs, (FCA) and play your friends with them and whichever you like and seem to do good with, use them, what I do if I lose, I counterpick corneria and camp with peach, and I beat ihavespaceballs..

and I don't play peach, so that worked very well ^-^

Grey Fox

Smash Journeyman
If you main falco and want a good secondary is suggest you use sheik. Sheik owns a lot of chars. And she is so not to hard, but on the other if ur aiming for a perfect falco you won be needing a secondary. Lol

xelad1

Smash Ace
sheik is often a really good idea as a secondary for space animals in general because she does well against marths.... a good marth imo is much more dangerous to fox or falco than a good peach. I think you should also learn how to play fox... I used to think he messed up falco but once you get used to switching between them then its a peice of cake.

DarkLordKefka

Smash Cadet
I'm a big Falco user myself, and I use Marth to counter any of his bad characters, mostly those who are chain throwers i.e. ICs, Jiggs, shiek etc.

another good character is Fox. hard to master, but their differences pretty much cover the entire field of counterpicks.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Marth because he makes some of the more awkward matchups that Falco has or some of the most common problems for Falco players easier.

He does pretty good against ICs, Peach, Jiggs etc and although Falco can do well against them it's certainly alot less awkward with Marth however I would suggest you also get used to being counterpicked sheik using Marth.

Peach i feel isn't a good secondary for Falco because people can just counterpick Fox/Sheik on you and its alot harder as her and also if you try to use it to fight other falco dittos lol you'll just get gayed out on some stupid counter stage and camped out which can be **** hard to deal with without a good deal of experience which is why peach players sometimes beat falco players yet it can seem so difficult to pick up and go with peach, although that isnt to say you cant just pick up and go with marth.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
I know it sounds weird but i would consider you picking up jiggs as a secondary.lol i main with falco and my previeous secondary main was jiggs but now i second main with luigi.your opponent wont know what to except if you change from a lazer spamming fast faller to jiggs.give it some thought a lot of people i know of that are good with falco are ginetically descent with jiggs lol.try it

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i'm originally a peach player learning falco now, i think they compliment each other pretty well. but she's definitely very different to play (i find myself trying to FC as falco LOL)

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
I would agree on Marth being an excellent secondary. Some of Falco's tougher match-ups like Ice Climbers, Peach, and Jiggs are more or less countered by Marth. Peach less than the other two, but Marth does better against Peach than 95% of the other characters.

mathos

Smash Champion
I would have to say that its really personal preference. Instead of using the idea of Falco counter and pick a counter to them, you should pick a counter to characters that you typcially lose to or have trouble with.

But another idea is to pick a character that isn't typically seen in tournament matches. However I'm not saying pick a ****ty low-tier and try and make it work. But Drephen and Azen are perfect examples of applying uncommon characters like Luigi to throw opponents off balance with the selection. The BIG problem with this though is that you have to make the secondary REALLY good.

Sliq

Smash Master
I used to main Falco, but now I main Jiggs, and I think that there two completely different playstyles can throw people off. For example, the only character I really don't like playing against as Jiggs is Sheik. So maybe I go Falco instead.

It really throws people when you go Jiggs first round, and win, and then they counterpick FoD, and then you pillar the *** out of them.

Of course, I prefer playing as Jiggs, and I generally don't switch unless I feel desperate. I kill myself with Falco too much. ;P

And Jiggs is not "hella cheap." Trust me. The lasers ruin Jiggs, and Falco is basically the only character that can kill Jiggs off of the bottom, which can be easy, considering Jiggs can't sweet spot the edge with her jumps, only sing or rollout.

Also, Mathos, I heard from Drephen you picked up Jiggs. *Hugs*

ThePrime

Smash Lord
I main falco and im starting to play samus simply because you can get really creative with her playstyle. For me playing a secondary as samus, you get a better sense of spacing and timing, both missle related.

Sailus

Smash Cadet
Falco-Jiggs or Falco-Marth. The latter was my original team, but as I got better with jigglypuff, it made me realize how one error is the only thing I need to win a match with him/her/shim(o_O)/it. Marth is better against Peach IMO though.

Ltork

Smash Cadet
I use 3 Characters and really dont have a counter.

I play Falco Samus and Marth. In no particular order (falco is my favorite right now)
My only real trouble are good foxes, no idea why.

Dimetrodon

Smash Rookie
Marth would be a good second to Falco I think because they both rely heavily on Short Hop Airs and both have d-air meteor strikes.

Sliq

Smash Master
...both have d-air meteor strikes.
That is the silliest reason I've ever heard.

D00d, you shud play fox cuz he also has a gun lolololol.

I think if you went with any top tier character, you couldn't go wrong.

mathos

Smash Champion
I think if you went with any top tier character, you couldn't go wrong.
Well you could go wrong if you suck with that character.

Personally I think Samus just sucks and is too hard to play effectively. There's only 1 real good Samus in the nation, so good luck with that.

And Peach's playstyle and technicality are completely different from every other character in the game. But if you don't have a problem learning that by my guess.

But whatever just pick someone and stick with it or else you're just wasting your time.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well my first suggestion would be to just pick whatever character you really enjoy playing, and develop him as a solid secondary.

My other suggestion would be to pick a character who works well against whoever gives your Falco trouble.

Top Bottom